• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

BeesEight

Don't let a bad game get you down, next time there will only be one Hanzo main so they won't say horrible things until the game starts going poorly and they blame you and things will be...

Play in groups, it's the only solution.

Yeah, I normally try to play with friends but all of mine have lost interest in the game. Three of them went back to the WoW expansion. I thought maybe solo queue wouldn't be so bad.

Maybe I'll just take a few weeks break or something.

Jacqli

I think I enjoy playing more during the mornings than at night. I do not know, maybe it is just my imagination, but people seem nicer/calmer.

They are doing slight balance differences to consoles though (e.g. turrets dealing less damage on consoles). Console PTR is NEVER going to happen, and you can blame that entirely on Sony and Microsoft and their evaluation process.
But in doing the turret nerf they got symmetra too which made no sense and wasn't necessary.

They CAN do a PTR on consoles if they wanted to - it would just have to be for balance tweaks, not new content. For example both Titanfall 2 and Destiny have server side balance patches that don't require an update from Sony or MS and I'm pretty sure Blizzard themselves have even done it once before when the Mei glitch happened.

IMO, the game competitively is not very balanced in terms of hero choice. As you get higher up in rank all you see are the same heroes every game. Look at a Top 500 Leaderboard and you're likely to see these characters mostly.

Genji
McCree
Tracer
Reaper
Mei
Roadhog
Reinhardt
Zarya
Zenyatta
Lucio
Ana

We're near the end of season 2 and not many major tweaks were made at all to other characters not on this list. I'm glad they finally got to heroes like D.Va and Soldier, as I'm looking forward to seeing other heroes be more prominent next season.

That's half of the current roster that is fully viable in competitive play. I'd say that's pretty good. Tournament play also has Winston clearly showing that he is fully viable. I also would argue Hanzo is at the very least at the border of breaking through viability, and is currently used as a specialized pick. Same goes for Junkrat.

Most of the characters not on this list are currently getting changes on the PTR or confirmed getting looked at, as well.

I specifically also brought up the pacing of the balance changes. They can't change all the characters at once. They have to take their time, especially when characters get bigger changes.

Example: If you buff both Soldier 76 and Pharah significantly, then it's very difficult to gauge whether both of them have been buffed enough, or have been buffed too much, especially if one gets a buff that makes more of an impact than the other.

Give it some time. Also, accept the fact that given the changes of meta and character balance, there always will be characters who are more viable than others, and thus will see more play. I think it would be nearly impossible to have all 22 (soon 23) characters be 100% viable picks in all or even most situations.

Glad you hit it! Was it the game right after I had to leave? The streak bonus is no joke.

I always feel stronger when playing attack but we had some really solid defensive stands. Going all-in on contesting seems to be the trick for Payload maps when you defend 2nd.

Yeah, King's Row, we won 3-2.

We were really good on defense, especially that game on Route 66 where we didn't do that well on attack and they stopped us before we could reach the 2nd checkpoint.

So what exactly is this tournament, and when is it happening? I feel like every team is in Korea scrimming constantly. People talking about Lunatic Hai vs Envyus and other matchups we haven't seen before. There is some tournament in Korea and it's happening soon, can anyone give me any more info, or a link or something?

Really hope Sombra is in the game by the time it happens.

IMO, the game competitively is not very balanced in terms of hero choice. As you get higher up in rank all you see are the same heroes every game. Look at a Top 500 Leaderboard and you're likely to see these characters mostly.

Genji
McCree
Tracer
Reaper
Mei
Roadhog
Reinhardt
Zarya
Zenyatta
Lucio
Ana

We're near the end of season 2 and not many major tweaks were made at all to other characters not on this list. I'm glad they finally got to heroes like D.Va and Soldier, as I'm looking forward to seeing other heroes be more prominent next season.

This list is kind of silly.

You've listed
4 out of 6 DPS characters
1 out of 6 Defense characters (though, people could argue 3 out of 6 are viable).
3 out of 5 Tanks characters (though, people could argue 4 out of 5 are viable).
3 out of 5 Support characters (though, people could argue 4 out of 5 are viable).

Sure it sucks that not every single person is viable, but the fact that over half ARE is a pretty big accomplishment.

Fancolors

So what exactly is this tournament, and when is it happening? I feel like every team is in Korea scrimming constantly. People talking about Lunatic Hai vs Envyus and other matchups we haven't seen before. There is some tournament in Korea and it's happening soon, can anyone give me any more info, or a link or something?

Are you talking about OGN Apex? Cuz that's happening already.

I usually follow results and know when the stream is up here.

To everyone's surprise, NRG lost and clockwork didn't perform as well as everyone expected. To the complete opposite, Rogue won.

To everyone's surprise, NRG lost and clockwork didn't perform as well as everyone expected. To the complete opposite, Rogue won.

Must be it. I didn't realize that there were so many games, I guess what I hear people talking about is the LAN part of the tournament. Thanks.

http://www.gosugamers.net/overwatch/events/589-ogn-overwatch-apex-season-1

This one?

This list is kind of silly.

You've listed
4 out of 6 DPS characters
1 out of 6 Defense characters (though, people could argue 3 out of 6 are viable).
3 out of 5 Tanks characters (though, people could argue 4 out of 5 are viable).
3 out of 5 Support characters (though, people could argue 4 out of 5 are viable).

Sure it sucks that not every single person is viable, but the fact that over half ARE is a pretty big accomplishment.

Agreed. And I think Blizzard is doing a pretty solid job in at least attempting to make everyone reasonably viable at least as situational picks.

Although I've mainly been hearing about it on Harbleu's stream and it doesn't look like Complexity is even in it. So unless there was some kind of qualifying matches or something this weekend, and they didn't make it, then maybe not...

Alright so OGN Apex definitely seems to be the big one, whereas Complexity is in some IGL tourney this weekend, I think I got the two mixed up in my head, thanks guys.

Agreed. And I think Blizzard is doing a pretty solid job in at least attempting to make everyone reasonably viable at least as situational picks.

Hell, Mei became viable after increasing the radius of her Ult.

Most of the "non-viable" heroes just need the right stat tweaked so they can climb back up into notoriety.

The only exception is Symmetra who is getting an overhaul because her kit itself is flawed.

Nimby

Banned
Meta report for the World Cup:

1lGK0obM89s.png

1lGK0xl3dU8.png

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-11-14-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-overwatch-world-cup-edition

Granny too good

Nimby

Banned
Copy/Paste for those of us at work?

THE TIERS
S Tier (>=95% Usage Rate*): Ana
A Tier (>80% Usage Rate): Lucio, Zarya
B Tier (>50% Usage Rate): Reinhardt
C Tier (>20% Usage Rate): McCree, Reaper, Mei, Winston, Genji, Roadhog
D Tier (>5% Usage Rate): Tracer
F Tier (<5% Usage Rate): Pharah, Mercy, D.Va, Zenyatta, Hanzo, Symmetra, Bastion, Junkrat, Widowmaker, Soldier 76, Torbjorn

That Nano-boost nerf should pull Ana back down, and let Zen come back up. Assuming they go through with it.

Same with Zarya. I love her to death, but her kit just makes her way too strong for way too many situations.

I don't think Lucio will ever drop to B tier. His kit is just too handy, off healers are great for all those low health targets that can't seem to get attention from the main healer and their tank(s).

D.Va will come back up when Zarya goes back down.

I think Zenyatta also might come up because of Sombra, since Lucio's support ult is gonna be hard-countered by her. Zenyatta might lose access to it for 6 seconds if she EMPs before he ults (and also take 150 damage I guess), but at least it's not getting entirely wiped.

I-hate-u

The problem with Ana is that the only way to counter her is to run Ana herself. Ana kills teams running Zenyatta and Lucio as healers.

I think Zenyatta also might come up because of Sombra, since Lucio's support ult is gonna be hard-countered by her. Zenyatta might lose access to it for 6 seconds if she EMPs before he ults (and also take 150 damage I guess), but at least it's not getting entirely wiped.

I dunno. Personally, I think using Sombra's Ult to counter Lucio's is silly. His Ult only lasts like 2 seconds anyway. By the time you react to a Lucio Ult, and have to get into position to really use it, chances are you're only going to be removing 25-50hp from people, if that.

I think her Ult should be a more proactive Ult, not reactive the way Lucio and Zen are.

Fancolors

tbh I would be okay with Lúcio losing his speed boost if they made his heals stronger and gave him enough damage to regularly kill. His usage as a whole would tank tho.

JHall

Ana is still going to be top tier with her ult nerf. Her burst healing is too good along with her sleep dart being game changing. She's also one of the only supports that can 1v1 DPS heros. Get ready for the nano boosted Genji/McCree meta!

xaosslug

lol @ peeps trying to defend Symm as viable - the first character in the game to get a major rework. Let's not even speak of Widowmaker, who the game devs themselves make jokes about how fucking useless she is. xD

That Nano-boost nerf should pull Ana back down, and let Zen come back up. Assuming they go through with it.

Same with Zarya. I love her to death, but her kit just makes her way too strong for way too many situations.

I don't think Lucio will ever drop to B tier. His kit is just too handy, off healers are great for all those low health targets that can't seem to get attention from the main healer and their tank(s).

D.Va will come back up when Zarya goes back down.

with Sombra joining the meta? IDK, especially about D.Va making any kind of headway.

I-hate-u

It doesn't help that Ana is the most fun support hero to play, and an argument can be made that she and Genji are the most fun heros in Overwatch. I think it will take a really hard time for Ana mains to switch off of her.

I dunno. Personally, I think using Sombra's Ult to counter Lucio's is silly. His Ult only lasts like 2 seconds anyway. By the time you react to a Lucio Ult, and have to get into position to really use it, chances are you're only going to be removing 25-50hp from people, if that.

I think her Ult should be a more proactive Ult, not reactive the way Lucio and Zen are.

It depends on the situation. Yes, Lucio's ult often is used to counter a Genji sword or Reaper ult, but not always. In a clustered up teamfight on a point, Lucio's ult is often popped for extra survivability, especially if you have a Reaper wanting to use Death Blossom, and make a push (or defense) stronger.

Sombra's ult is more versatile than Lucio's, though, and can be used as a tool to initiate. Taking away the skills of enemies (especially if it's a character who can sneak up on them) is a powerful tool to push. But if I was playing Sombra and Lucio used his ult during a team fight, I'd definitely use the reactionary EMP to take away that extra shielding and turn around the team fight in my team's favour. After all the shield wipe isn't the only benefit of ulting.

lol @ peeps trying to defend Symm as viable - the first character in the game to get a major rework. Let's not even speak of Widowmaker, who the game devs themselves make jokes about how fucking useless she is. xD

Who defended Symmetra as being viable? I don't see anybody who remotely suggested that. And do I have to remind you of the Widowmaker meta at launch? Just like Jeff Kaplan said in the Q&A at BlizzCon, everyone sure LOVED when that was the meta.

I'd suggest toning down the condescending attitude.

Dreavus

What happened to widowmaker anyways? I only have a passing interest in the pro scene but I remember she seemed to dominate early on. Some of these guys are absolutely ridiculous shots too meaning they are going to be landing their hits. Is she just too easily countered?

What happened to widowmaker anyways? I only have a passing interest in the pro scene but I remember she seemed to dominate early on. Some of these guys are absolutely ridiculous shots too meaning they are going to be landing their hits. Is she just too easily countered?

Her fully charged bodyshot damage was reduced from 150 to 120, which means she no longer was able to 2-shot most of the cast with a charged bodyshot followed by a quickscope (and oneshot Tracer and Zenyatta prior to the latter's health buff), and became much more reliant on headshots, which are difficult to line up while also getting opposition.

NeoRaider

She is still kicking ass(es) at least on PC.
I personally am loving her more and more.

Word on the street is* that Blizzard never even really wanted a Sniper character in the game but knew they had to put one in to attract certain demographics.

* and by word on the street I mean, I've seen that posted here and have absolutely no source to share.

I hope Season 3 shakes things up a bit.

Making Winston's Ult immune to sleep would be a big step up. I kind a feel like it should be anyway.

Like, make the sleep dart duration dependant on the size of the target (or the hp, really):

200hp and less is 6 seconds.
300hp is 5 seconds
400hp is 4 seconds
500hp is 3 seconds
600hp is 2 seconds
700hp is 1 second
800+hp is immune

It would be interesting if this was dynamic as well. Like, shooting a Roadhog full health is a 2 second sleep, but shooting a Roadhog at 300hp is 5 seconds.

xaosslug

Who defended Symmetra as being viable? I don't see anybody who remotely suggested that. And do I have to remind you of the Widowmaker meta at launch? Just like Jeff Kaplan said in the Q&A at BlizzCon, everyone sure LOVED when that was the meta.

I'd suggest toning down the condescending attitude.

y'all arguing that it's OK, fine that Symm has been trash-tier (and players have been blamed for her nono-use) since launch is defending her viability, especially considering how now she's being reworked - not buffed, but reworked - to the point where she might be moved out of the support category. Blizz done goofed.

and Widowmaker literally contradicts your entire 'Blizz has got this balance thing down, y'all!' point. xD

xaosslug

i wish Reaper's wraith form actually functioned like it does in the animated shorts. Would be cool, tbh.

I hope Season 3 shakes things up a bit.

aside from Sombra joining Ana at the top, I don't see many changes. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

i do anticipate op, reworked Symm (if she's released next season...) to make some waves, tho. LOL

y'all arguing that it's OK, fine that Symm has been trash-tier (and players have been blamed for her nono-use) since launch is defending her viability, especially considering how now she's being reworked - not buffed, but reworked - to the point where she might be moved out of the support category. Blizz done goofed.

Uhh no? Symmetra getting a rework is specifically one of the points I've brought up numerous times. Here:
Who is getting a major rework as we speak. What's your point?

At this point, Blizzard has been aware of and working on changing Symmetra for several months. If Blizzard was insisting she's fine, they would neither have begun reworking her, nor would they have said that Symmetra is not getting played as much as they'd hoped.

or confirmed getting looked at, as well.

Where did I claim that Symmetra was fine? Please find the exact quote and post it. And I'm going to extend this to everyone else who was on my page in regards to Blizzard's balance (which seemed to be Anne, Kor and Cappa for the most part, all 3 of which also acknowledged that Symmetra is getting a rework and in dire need of one).

and Widowmaker literally contradicts your entire 'Blizz has got this balance thing down, y'all!' point. xD

I specifically said that they cannot (and should not!) try to "fix" every single character at once, because then balance becomes even more of a mess. The one-by-one approach Blizzard has been taking is the way to go and smart.

But sure. Pick out that one character that is difficult to balance. Not the fact that more than half of the cast are fully viable or situationally viable. No, Sir. One hero that's difficult to balance is clear evidence of "topkek blizzard balance lollololollollol Kappakappa heuhuehue xDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD"

xaosslug

Uhh no? Symmetra getting a rework is specifically one of the points I've brought up numerous times. Here:

Where did I claim that Symmetra was fine? Please find the exact quote and post it. And I'm going to extend this to everyone else who was on my page in regards to Blizzard's balance.

I specifically said that they cannot (and should not!) try to "fix" every single character at once, because then balance becomes even more of a mess. The one-by-one approach Blizzard has been taking is the way to go and smart.

But sure. Pick out that one character that is difficult to balance. Not the fact that more than half of the cast are fully viable or situationally viable. No, Sir. One hero that's difficult to balance is clear evidence of "topkek blizzard balance lollololollollol Kappakappa heuhuehue xDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD"

look, idk why you are mad? But Blzz has only been reworking Symm for 1-2 months. lol @ 'several' She's been ignored and defended for SEVERAL, tho! xD

and yeah, let's just ignore Widowmaker - that's what Blizz is doing, so why not. ;P

Tracer down to D tier.
Would you look at that.

It doesn't help that Ana is the most fun support hero to play, and an argument can be made that she and Genji are the most fun heros in Overwatch. I think it will take a really hard time for Ana mains to switch off of her.
same

Finding it really hard not to get discouraged in comp lately.

Went from 2497 to 2340. Just losing constantly because of teammates unwilling to change roles, or generally acting rude (swearing, putting other players down) and not willing to work as a team (ignoring the rest of the team, not chatting, not grouping up, etc)

I'm fine admitting I played badly when I do, but I'm ending all these matches with like three golds so it's hard not to be disappointed that I'm tanking despite putting in a good individual performance.

look, idk why you are mad? But Blzz has only been reworking Symm for 1-2 months. lol @ 'several' She's been ignored and defended for SEVERAL, tho! xD

and yeah, let's just ignore Widowmaker - that's what Blizz is doing, so why not. ;P

I'm not mad, I'm simply annoyed by your extremely condescending attitude. The fact you keep putting words into my mouth and completely ignoring all of my arguments doesn't help.

Also, definition of several:
several
&#712;s&#603;v(&#601;)r(&#601;)l
determiner & pronoun
more than two but not many.

We can be sure that Blizzard has decided to rework Symmetra and started the re-design process at least 2-3 weeks before they made the initial announcement, especially given the fact that dataminers already found voicelines of various potential mechanics for her on the PTR mere days after said announcement was made public. I sincerely doubt they would've brought in the voice actress to record those lines and included them on the PTR within a few days.

However, I'm starting to think that there is absolutely no way to discuss with you in any factual way, because all you respond with is "lolollol symmetra xDXdXDXDXD", and ignoring any sort of arguments I'm making just to be more condescending.

xaosslug

I'm not mad, I'm simply annoyed by your extremely condescending attitude. The fact you keep putting words into my mouth and completely ignoring all of my arguments doesn't help.

Also, definition of several:
several
&#712;s&#603;v(&#601;)r(&#601;)l
determiner & pronoun
more than two but not many.

We can be sure that Blizzard has decided to rework Symmetra and started the re-design process at least 2-3 weeks before they made the initial announcement, especially given the fact that dataminers already found voicelines of various potential mechanics for her on the PTR mere days after said announcement was made public. I sincerely doubt they would've brought in the voice actress to record those lines and included them on the PTR within a few days.

However, I'm starting to think that there is absolutely no way to discuss with you in any factual way, because all you respond with is "lolollol symmetra xDXdXDXDXD", and ignoring any sort of arguments I'm making just to be more condescending.

this is where we are now in this discussion... xD

My mindset before I start playing these days is "just playing comp because I like the rules and the games more, I'll have a ton of fun as long as I don't care about winning or losing."

But when our Lucio swaps to Symmetra after we lose one KOTH round I still get mad. :'(

Just gotta get over it.

Making Winston's Ult immune to sleep would be a big step up. I kind a feel like it should be anyway.

Like, make the sleep dart duration dependant on the size of the target (or the hp, really):

200hp and less is 6 seconds.
300hp is 5 seconds
400hp is 4 seconds
500hp is 3 seconds
600hp is 2 seconds
700hp is 1 second
800+hp is immune

It would be interesting if this was dynamic as well. Like, shooting a Roadhog full health is a 2 second sleep, but shooting a Roadhog at 300hp is 5 seconds.

I undesrtand your point, but I seriously hope they don't add complicated stuff like this. Like when people were saying that D.Va shouldn't be put asleep because she's in her mech. It kinda makes sense, but I don't want that.

I want the abilities to have a standard, something that works on everything in equal terms, no exceptions.

Sombra's ult is already very weird as it is, since she can negate some ults and not others.

i wish Reaper's wraith form actually functioned like it does in the animated shorts. Would be cool, tbh.

I wish we could cancel wraith form when we want, like Mei's ice block.

My mindset before I start playing these days is "just playing comp because I like the rules and the games more, I'll have a ton of fun as long as I don't care about winning or losing."

But when our Lucio swaps to Symmetra after we lose one KOTH round I still get mad. :'(

Just gotta get over it.

Why? He's still in the support class.

I would be mad too.

matmanx1

Mei is my favorite, but a close second is Winston. He takes some getting used to and some experience to know when to use him, but in the right situation I do far more damage with him than I do with Mei. For attack characters, try Soldier 76, sure he's generic call of duty guy, but he's also pretty easy to use. He's the only offense character I use with any any regularity, hoping Sombra will change that.

I am loving Winston more and more. He's great fun, especially on KotH maps where you can push people off with his Ult. He's one of the heroes I'm having the most fun with right now and I want to continue to improve my play with him.

You know, I hadn't really heard any online harassment for a long time. Just quit my first game of Overwatch because the two Hanzos on my team starting arguing over who should swap off and it just immediately broke down into "Trump's America. Get out of here you fucking faggot."

My interest in Sombra has been deflated.

Running into jerks while playing online games is an unfortunate fact of life. Don't let them ruin your fun. They aren't worth your time or consideration.

More than pretty strong. This char is actually busted on PTR.

Hmm, I need to go try him out on PTR. You wouldn't think 3 damage a shot would be that big of a change but it does cut a chunk of time off of his TTK as long as he's landing head shots.

You know, I hadn't really heard any online harassment for a long time. Just quit my first game of Overwatch because the two Hanzos on my team starting arguing over who should swap off and it just immediately broke down into "Trump's America. Get out of here you fucking faggot."

My interest in Sombra has been deflated.

Oh, I've had some harassment in a comp game too recently. It's also been the first time in ages it happened to me, well besides in Rust which is just full of twats 24/7. I play Lucio a lot, and I use his pink skin and my ingame name is 'Pinku' too so obviously they thought it was funny to point out how 'gay' and 'tryhard' that was. If it wasn't comp I wouldn't have blessed them with my heals, blegh.

But yeah, just ignore it or report if you really want and don't fight back, not worth it. Just move on.

Kysen

I can't see sombra finding a place in the meta as long as her damage remains as low as it is. Who's slot realistically is she going to take?

As for the current meta report, the fall of zen is spectacular. Meanwhile lucio/zarya remain staple. Such a shame lucio is boring to play and low impact.

Top Bottom