• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

drac96

Man, I was really hoping arcade would move up to the live game today. I'm having a blast playing 3v3 on PTR.

Hopefully sometime soon, probably late November or early December 😞

eek5

Man, I was really hoping arcade would move up to the live game today. I'm having a blast playing 3v3 on PTR.

Hopefully sometime soon, probably late November or early December 😞

3v3 is so fun right now. It'll probably get ruined once people figure out the best meta comp and the mode gets dominated by that. :|

I-hate-u

I can't see sombra finding a place in the meta as long as her damage remains as low as it is. Who's slot realistically is she going to take?

As for the current meta report, the fall of zen is spectacular. Meanwhile lucio/zarya remain staple. Such a shame lucio is boring to play and low impact.

Lucio most definitely is not boring to play.

matmanx1

I can't see sombra finding a place in the meta as long as her damage remains as low as it is. Who's slot realistically is she going to take?

As for the current meta report, the fall of zen is spectacular. Meanwhile lucio/zarya remain staple. Such a shame lucio is boring to play and low impact.

And yet Zen is a good, solid support/dps hybrid class. It just goes to show you that you can't take the Meta reports from the Pro's as some sort of game defining truth as to who's good and who isn't.

Or look at Tracer at 5% or less usage in the D tier. Tracer's ridiculously good in the right hands and a staple on most KotH maps yet hardly used in this particular report.

I'm of the opinion that the average Overwatch player taking those meta reports as some kind of insider guide to who's good and who isn't is doing more harm than good.

Blues1990

Man, I'm really hating the Amp It Up nerf on the PTR for Lucio. This is pointless, both in concept and the amount of healing, which isn't much. Lucio already has trouble keeping tanks healed up, so if he's the solo healer, it's now it's gonna be even tougher if they go through with that change. It's an idiotic nerf, & I don't really know what they are trying to accomplish. Supposingly trying to reduce Lucio's pick rate ?

To that I want to say : Lucio pick rate has nothing to do with him being strong. On the live server he's picked because every other support is a ''victim'' with no mobility. On a competitive level, he's picked because he touch to the most basic mechanic, which is engage/disengage.

He's not strong, just needed because no support hero has an alternative to that very basic mechanic, and they honestly should spend more efforts into introducing an alternative over nerfing a perfectly fine hero, all because they are too lazy to fix Mercy.

I hope this doesn't stay. Nerfing Lucio into the ground won't make Mercy more viable. Hell, the game needs more reliable AOE healing options.

And yet Zen is a good, solid support/dps hybrid class. It just goes to show you that you can't take the Meta reports from the Pro's as some sort of game defining truth as to who's good and who isn't.

I'm of the opinion that the average Overwatch player taking those meta reports as some kind of insider guide to who's good and who isn't is doing more harm than good.

I'm much more interesting in seeing the data Blizz had from the game itself, across all modes, rather than drawing conclusions exclusively from LAN tournaments.

QP win/pick rates are something I'd like to see the most.

Balancing a game for multiple levels of play is always a challenge these companies will have to face. The supposed required 100% picks of the meta and the supposed nonviable never picked characters I read about in this thread never have matched to what millions of players have experienced in their playing the game.

Man, I'm really hating the Amp It Up nerf on the PTR for Lucio. This is pointless, both in concept and the amount of healing, which isn't much. Lucio already has trouble keeping tanks healed up, so if he's the solo healer, it's now it's gonna be even tougher if they go through with that change. It's an idiotic nerf, & I don't really know what they are trying to accomplish. Supposingly trying to reduce Lucio's pick rate ?

To that I want to say : Lucio pick rate has nothing to do with him being strong. On the live server he's picked because every other support is a ''victim'' with no mobility. On a competitive level, he's picked because he touch to the most basic mechanic, which is engage/disengage.

He's not strong, just needed because no support hero has an alternative to that very basic mechanic, and they honestly should spend more efforts into introducing an alternative over nerfing a perfectly fine hero, all because they are too lazy to fix Mercy.

I hope this doesn't stay. Nerfing Lucio into the ground won't make Mercy more viable. Hell, the game needs more reliable AOE healing options.

I think Lucio's design is that he isn't supposed to be able to heal tanks. It's his main drawback.

Just like Mercy's drawback is single target.
Zen's drawback is single target with further range but less hps.
Ana's drawback is single target with further range, but line of site.

You can't have someone who can keep a tank alive just as good as every other healer, while at the same time healing the entire team.

So this happened:

I subscribe to "Team Optimism" when I play competitive Overwatch. That means that I go into every match assuming the best, despite what my teammates may present me with.

Here is one such example:

This is a 3200SR game on PSN. The setup is:

Blue Team Vs. Red Team

Road Hog v Winston
Zarya v Zarya
Pharah v Genji
Widow v Tracer
Mei v McCree
Symmetra v Lucio

You can see the video here:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrgYXoK7l8g

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L5n-h2WRAQ

I realize this is an exception, and not the rule. But it still goes to show that throwing the game at the start would have guaranteed a loss. Yet each of us still played to the best of our abilities, and it worked out great. No healer needed.

Blues1990

I think Lucio's design is that he isn't supposed to be able to heal tanks. It's his main drawback.

Just like Mercy's drawback is single target.
Zen's drawback is single target with further range but less hps.
Ana's drawback is single target with further range, but line of site.

You can't have someone who can keep a tank alive just as good as every other healer, while at the same time healing the entire team.

Try saying that to every player I have come across in Competitive Mode that are allergic to play any of the Support Heroes.

Supports aren't engaging enough already, to the point where they are almost always the last to be chosen in Quickplay. If Blizzard wants to change that, they have to make them fun to play. Lucio is definely the most fun of all with his nice passives and good healing. It's wrong to take that away from him.

Lucio will eventually just be nerfed to the point where he no longer contributes enough to be worthwhile, and another support replace him as the go-to. He's becoming less effective while still having a bland playstyle that relies on passives to do most of the work. And people wonder why no one wants to play support.

It's maddening, and while I love Lucio he is just poorly designed. IMO he needs more adjustments beyond a number tweak.

In a related note, heroes like Lucio and Reinhardt are used out of necessity. They are the only that fill the role. Debuffing them will hardly solve the problem. You shouldn't nerf heroes that are played for necessity. Instead, they should add heroes that play similar roles. Just because some character is over used, does not make it over powered.

I-hate-u

No, boring is not the right word. Low impact and somewhat weak is a better description. Wall riding and boop'ing foes is quite fun, actually.

I disagree with low impact. Lucio is so pivotal that a good Lucio to me is considered the leader of the team. His damage is also decent.

So this happened:

I subscribe to "Team Optimism" when I play competitive Overwatch. That means that I go into every match assuming the best, despite what my teammates may present me with.

Blue Team Vs. Red Team

Road Hog v Winston
Zarya v Zarya
Pharah v Genji
Widow v Tracer
Mei v McCree
Symmetra v Lucio

I realize this is an exception, and not the rule. But it still goes to show that throwing the game at the start would have guaranteed a loss. Yet each of us still played to the best of our abilities, and it worked out great. No healer needed.

Very nice. You made that Genji your b*tch.
I may try this someday

matmanx1

So this happened:

Blue Team Vs. Red Team

Road Hog v Winston
Zarya v Zarya
Pharah v Genji
Widow v Tracer
Mei v McCree
Symmetra v Lucio

I enjoyed your Roadhog play. You pretty much dominated the other team who seemed to be poorly coordinated. Not taking anything away from you, because your 'Hog was on point. I laughed at the poor Genji.

Plesiades

The press release for the free weekend says "Try all the 22 heroes" or something among those lines. Maybe they pull a "Season 2" and Sombra ends up in Live.

komaruR

So this happened:

Blue Team Vs. Red Team

Road Hog v Winston
Zarya v Zarya
Pharah v Genji
Widow v Tracer
Mei v McCree
Symmetra v Lucio

that genji was an idiot, trying 1v1 you lol
on atk the other 2 were throwing. torb and hanzo lol. Not even an aggresive hanzo, he only got 1 kill i think from the kill feed.

That rein only tried once and he swapped to winston in the begining of enemy on atk? lol

NeoRaider

Changes that i would like for Sombra:

-Increase her SMG DMG and accuracy.
-Make hacking little faster.
-Make Translocator active for 20 or 25 seconds instead of 15 or remove cooldown if Translocator is not used.

That's all i need.

hesido

I hate it when area is contested by enemy, nobody dies in my team, and then they get the area anyway. Die by the area please?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
-Make hacking little faster.

693.gif

Pooya

they should limit how many things you can hack at the same time. Right now medkit hack is too strong, if you hacked a number of medkits, you shouldn't be able to hack players.

antitrop

Spectators shouldn't be able to talk in match chat. It's so annoying to have random fuckos join off a friend and spend the entire time talking shit to people in a game they're not even playing in.

Nimby

Banned
Sombra is super strong. She has lower damage to offset the amount of utility she has. Also she fucking wrecks Grandma and Pepe so I'm happy for a little bit at least.

I feel for Widowmaker, either going to be absolutely worthless or completely broken.

People are thinking tomorrow is the day for PC updates?

NeoRaider

The point is to pick your hack targets smartly, not hold right click and feel good about yourself.
The point is to balance the game because it's busted as hell.

When she hacks you it only lasts for 2-3... seconds? And you still have abilities left, it's not like both your hands are tied.
I don't think that Sombra need nerfs.

ISOM

When she hacks you it only lasts for 2-3... seconds? And you still have abilities left, it's not like both your hands are tied.
I don't think that Sombra need nerfs.

For a lot of heroes taking away their abilities is hand tying them like Mercy or Genji for example and then Sombra excels at close range combat. Like come on, she needs some limits to not make her overpowered.

NeoRaider

For a lot of heroes taking away their abilities is hand tying them like Mercy or Genji for example and then Sombra excels at close range combat. Like come on, she needs some limits to not make her overpowered.

But she is not. Hacking has a cooldown.
Also it's very easy to eliminate her with most of the heroes, specially tanks.

ISOM

But she is not. Hacking has a cooldown.
Also it's very easy to eliminate her with most of the heroes, specially tanks.

The post you were quoting was talking about allowing her to hack even when taking damage. The point of my post was that such a buff would make her overpowered.

NeoRaider

The post you were quoting was talking about allowing her to hack even when taking damage. The point of my post was that such a buff would make her overpowered.

Well you are right about that tbh. That wouldn't be so fair when i think about it.

In theory, if you know Sombra's locking down all of the health packs, you could just lie in wait at one to take her out right?

Her hacks vanish if she dies I assume.

Prelude.

In theory, if you know Sombra's locking down all of the health packs, you could just lie in wait at one to take her out right?
They last one minute, it's not easy to do something useful until the exact moment the hack ends, and waiting by a hacked health pack means that she's gonna come back to an instantly regenerating health pack that she can use over and over until she kills you.

Her hacks vanish if she dies I assume.
No.

Nimby

Banned
Well have Sombra in your team and be faster. :)

I mean this is kinda what makes balance in OW a mess. The only foreseeable counters to hacked healthkits and EMP is Sombra herself. Similar to how the best counter to Nanoboosted Reaper is Ana, because she has the longest CC in the game. Or the only counter to speed boost is to run it yourself, so you have just as much of an advantage compared to the enemies.

Top Bottom