• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Is the Oni skin only unlockable once per account? I just logged onto the PS4 client (free weekend) and I see it's still locked even though it's linked to my Battletag. Not a big deal, just wondering.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is Torb on console considered good now? I love using him.

His scrap rate is really fast and can support the team. His hammer speed still feels kind of slow to me. But his super is awesome, especially if you can bait opponents into the turret.
He is good, however I would only use him on defense. However he is extremely boring to play. You just hit his turret repeatedly until you build up an ult. Wait until you start to get swamp, use the ult. And repeat. It's just not very fun, especially when you have to do it for seven minutes straight. Suffice to say he's better now, but not fun.

He is good, however I would only use him on defense. However he is extremely boring to play. You just hit his turret repeatedly until you build up an ult. Wait until you start to get swamp, use the ult. And repeat. It's just not very fun, especially when you have to do it for seven minutes straight. Suffice to say he's better now, but not fun.

why wouldn't you just use your weapon to attack and only hammer your turret when it actually gets damaged?

BTM

So played this for the first time thanks to the free weekend and I'm now thinking about taking advantage of these Black Friday deals. Seems like a lot a fun after a few matches

I don't think there's an active "group", but people of similar level play together. I bounce between 2000 - 2250; I'll add you and invite when you're online. What's your PSN name?

Yeah when I asked I just meant at this point in time. And yeah I bounce around mid-high gold. But ID is Psychoward23.

Veelk

Banned
Just a quick PSA, Hanzo is still a fantastic, satisfying and cool hero that is unfairly maligned by the overwatch community. Doing well with him is fun as all hell.

So played this for the first time thanks to the free weekend and I'm now thinking about taking advantage of these Black Friday deals. Seems like a lot a fun after a few matches

The game is on sale for $35 everywhere right now if you wanna take the plunge.
You totally should

Veelk

Banned
So much Widowmaker now.

I know. I don't get why. The small buff she got to her sniping doesn't negate the rest of her joke of a kit. Also, you might be talking about PC, where she was atleast mildly more effective than on console. On console, I feel I get one 8/10 games, and they ALL suck.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Same here, it's just as fun as I thought it would be but I've never bought a Blizzard game before and didn't want to blindly purchase based on word of mouth. Will probably buy after the free weekend.

So much Widowmaker now.

I play Widowmaker :)

BTM

Same here, it's just as fun as I thought it would be but I've never bought a Blizzard game before and didn't want to blindly purchase based on word of mouth. Will probably buy after the free weekend.

Yea I'm probably gonna get it as well. Definitely play some more this weekend

xaosslug

first comp match since Sombra... enemy team Sombra is on point, ours... not so much. They're running Mercy + Lucio... we're running no healer (S76 doesn't count!). We lose. You gotta just laugh. ROTFL

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lucio is my favorite hero and I like playing support but I'd say maybe half of the time I do it because no one else will. Even if I really wanna be a dps or tank I'll still suck it up if the alternative is having no healers. I guess the key is to learn a few support characters well enough that they're always fun and rewarding to play.

Just a quick PSA, Hanzo is still a fantastic, satisfying and cool hero that is unfairly maligned by the overwatch community. Doing well with him is fun as all hell.
Even if he's usually a low-tier competitive character, he's always had at least a somewhat useful niche outside of that in more casual play.

What has always been maligned isn't so much the character but the terrible players who saw some fancy gameplay from Twitch and decided to try to go pro without learning any of his fundamentals.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
What is the deal with One person from the losing team quitting from elimination and kicking everybody out I seriously have been kicked out of five winning game so far Fucking annoying

KraytarJ

Played some 1v1. First time I was up 4-3 then we got booted because neither one of us wanted to go in during the Bastion ditto. Got matched up against the same guy right away and won 5-0. It's way more fun and tense than I thought it would be, maybe not something I'll want to play all the time but it's way better than I thought it would be.

I bought this game for full price yesterday because I didn't realize it was going to be on sale this weekend. On the bright side though, the game's really fun from what I've played of it so far.

Celegus

Yaaaay went on a tear as D.Va tonight and hit platinum. I only started playing ranked for the first time a week or so ago. She feels much better with the new patch, though I have no clue if she's considered "good" or in the meta, but she works well for me!

Yaaaay went on a tear as D.Va tonight and hit platinum. I only started playing ranked for the first time a week or so ago. She feels much better with the new patch, though I have no clue if she's considered "good" or in the meta, but she works well for me!
me
vUtberg.jpg
Anyone playing on PS4 right now?

just got off D:

aFIGurANT

Maybe I'm late but does competitive's matchmaking give you a chance to attack and defend every game? I feel like so many matches are skipped over when it could be interesting if the defenders had to take a turn attacking? speaking from free weekend QP here.

Maybe I'm late but does competitive's matchmaking give you a chance to attack and defend every game? I feel like so many matches are skipped over when it could be interesting if the defenders had to take a turn attacking? speaking from free weekend QP here.

Yup, each team plays both sides.

Mozendo

Maybe it's just it seems that the Overwatch player base is becoming more and more toxic. Almost every match I've been apart of there's always thrash talking, it's a shame.

mooncakes

Downloaded this game today since it was free. Its a pretty fun game. The guy with the bow is my favorite to play as so far.

I wish the game has a 3rd person view so I can see more things around the area.

moerser

Downloaded this game today since it was free. Its a pretty fun game. The guy with the bow is my favorite to play as so far
yeah the guy with the bow is awesome. you have to pick the guy with the turret and the gal with the little turrets on attack maps. people will love you for that!

NimbusD

Soldier is the new tank buster. A far better pick than Reaper now. He can engage at a much safer range than Reaper and has the benefit of Mercy boost. Soldier is definitely OP.

Yeah, I really liked soldier before, he's my closest to a 'main' that I have... but now he's just way too powerful in decent hands. In even not decent hands...

Blues1990

What about in indecent hands?

We never go there.

Zarya is still crazy powerful.

She is, but I'm still trying to get used to how she powers up now. Even when getting bombarded with bullets, my bubble shields don't charge up as fast, so it's a weird disconnect.

Also, if you're a new player or haven't done it already, I don't see how it is possible to get her achievements now with Zarya's nerf.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Trying the free weekend and had a few questions.

Do I need a headset to play this? I'm normally a single-player guy so I don't own one.

Best match type/hero to play as to get my bearings and not get yelled at?

Any other advice would be awesome and appreciated as well.

Blues1990

Trying the free weekend and had a few questions.

Do I need a headset to play this? I'm normally a single-player guy so I don't own one.

Best match type/hero to play as to get my bearings and not get yelled at?

Any other advice would be awesome and appreciated as well.

When playing Quick Play & getting used to the characters? Not yet, but if you are going to play with others in Competitive Mode, then it's recommended that you do get a headset. Overwatch is a team based game, so co-operating & cordornating with your teammates is essential.

Here are some other tips:

Soldier 76 is the Mario of Overwatch. He’s decent for just about anything. His rifle does decent mid-to-long-range damage, he’s got rockets with knockback, and he can even heal. Oh, and his ultimate ability is basically an aimbot.

Reinhardt is Overwatch’s most straightforward tank. He’s got a big ol’ hammer, lots of armor, and a holographic shield allies can shoot through but enemies can’t. Many strategies revolve around a frontline with Reinhardt at the head. He can also charge enemies and pin them against or surfaces, and his ult knocks down everybody in its path, briefly stunning them.

Among Overwatch’s supports, Mercy is the most straightforward healer. The Caduceus Staff can either heal allies or boost their damage output. She can also quickly fly toward allies, and her ult resurrects fallen friends. However, Mercy is extremely weak in terms of offense and defense. Always stay behind tanks and other beefy allies.

Mei is a very effective Defense hero, and despite her innocent appearance, she is an absolute terror. She can freeze enemies solid with her Frost Beam and then knock their brains out with a giant icicle blast. Her Ice Wall is great for giving allies cover or obscuring enemies’ shots. Her ult slows and freezes everyone in a fairly wide radius. Oh, and if she’s hurting, she can freeze herself, becoming temporarily invincible and recovering health.

As for general tips:

-If you're getting a solid-gold ass beating, try another character. If you’re not sure who to go for, ask your team what they need help with at the moment. If one of your teammates decides to be a dick, because how dare you not know everything about the game, kindly remind them that you’re just trying to help, because that’s how you win in Overwatch. Odds are, your other teammates will have your back on that one.

-Communicate. Let people know where you’re going, what your plan is. If the other team has you stuck at a chokepoint, suggest a coordinated assault or a specific strategy instead of individually banging your head against an impenetrable defensive wall.

-Don't be afraid to lose. Don’t lose hope, just because things aren’t going your way. Overwatch is designed to have the spoils of defeat being not too far from victories, as there are a lot of cool, awesome things that can happen during the match.

Top Bottom