• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a Diamond player(I'm gold) and he completely threw the game and played like total shit. Someone said he's intentionally deranking. Why??

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
2 wins, 2 losses.

26 sr gain.

Xh8fP5q.png

It's super weird, ever since I went dps ana my SR gain has been heavily skewed to receiving more than I'm losing. And I couldn't get as many kills this time because of games not lasting the full round.

Still dying too much though. Also still need to really learn to balance healing and killing.

Antiwhippy

Also the 2 losses I had was with this genji main who seemed pretty friendly but is ultimately really bad.

And the 2 wins I've had was with that genji main on the opposite team.

I love it when that happens.

KarmaCow

I came across a Diamond player(I'm gold) and he completely threw the game and played like total shit. Someone said he's intentionally deranking. Why??

There are people who want the cheap thrill from playing against lower ranked opponents but are too cheap to buy another copy of the game for a smurf account.

hypernima

Banned
I doubt it.

Still, I want to believe I can do better!

Well ok, I hope it helps.

As Sombra has low damage for being DPS her strength lies in a team that can take advantage of her sabotaging skills. Therefore, Sombra is better on attack than defense in most cases (Especially 2CP and Defense spawn adv Payload).

The route of using her Kit should usually go in this order

Hack Health pack > Translocator > Cloak > Attack > Kill/Take Damage > Translocate Back.

Taking damage is important for her as you can charge ult solo if you have a team that tends to rely more on their healers than packs. Sometimes you just wanna take damage so you can get a quick boost for your ult.

Always hack a health pack before you take it if you have time to and Always throw down a translocator so you can escape.

Once you have one or two health packs hacked in areas you are attacking you can focus on hacking opponents if you have not already.
I have a hierarchy of sorts for important characters to hack.

For DPS it would be :
Soldier 76: You deny his sprint, helix rockets and especially his heals which means he cant help himself or his team besides just shooting
Tracer: You shut down all of her mobility, especially good for defending vulnerable supports as she can't surround them with blinks.
Sombra: Duh...
Pharah: Can't Jump Jet to escape, which makes her easier to kill despite still being able to thrust because she'll be lower.
McCree/Reaper: Not worth it as much in my opinion, in close up fights they out dps you a lot but disabling their skills can help depending on the situation. I usually disable, shoot a little then run.

Defense:
There isn't much worth in hacking the bulk of Defense heroes in my opinion besides Mei, who you can stop from healing or walling or Bastion who you can force out of Sentry (A full clip won't kill Bastion in Sentry. It's way better to hack him. Hack Torbjorn to prevent him from creating a turret as you can just shoot down an existing one much safer.

Tank:
Reinhardt: He is by far the most important tank to hack. Drops shields, can stop charges and ruin the hold a team has on a point.
Zarya: She is second because her bubble can save herself/allies and boost her attack power.
D.Va: Can't fly or Defense Matrix before hack which makes her easier to kill for allies and diminishes her value for protecting allies.
Roadhog: You can stop his alt and his abilities with a hack.
Winston: You can't hack him from outside bubble if he has one but you can EMP the bubble.

Support:
Lucio: Lucio is probably the support most affected by EMP if he uses his ult, because EMP strips shields.
Mercy: You cripple her mobility a lot but it's really only worth it in my opinion if you are trying to deny ult.
Ana: She can't grenade or sleep you, so it's easy to take her out with a hack.
Sym/Zen: Both have shields so you can EMP them off for easy kills but Zenyatta is worth hacking. Symmetra, not.

I feel that Sombra is best played in 2/2/2. As for ult pairing I think she's Zarya's best friend as the gravitroned team that's hacked won't have any defense from the onslaught after EMP.

Alright, those are good Sombra tips hypernima. e.g. I've... never considered nullifying Lucio's ult with EMP, for starters. Whoops.

Now my Sombra tip: It's not about hacking any medkit, but ones allies will use. e.g if a tank sits on a big medkit, they're essentially immortal. Like, for spots such as Hanamura B it can make a huge difference for people talking the side path. Gotta treat Sombra as the support/attack hybrid she is.
how about getting rid of sombras health pack hacking and giving her a single target heal deny/reduction

Sombra would never get ult charge again, pretty much.

What exactly are the rules for inactivity kicking? There's not a cumulative timer? Because I just had some douchecanoe who stood around as Widow for about 45% of the match.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/...the_worlds_first_top_500_bastion_only_player/

So I'm reading this, and wondering to myself, how does one become a Bastion main? This player has logged 40 hours of him so far. He did it as a challenge, but he's certainly not the only one to main Bastion.

I know we all have different playstyles and preferences, but playing Bastion that extensively seems so boring. I know having ridiculous dps capabilities can be exciting, but aside from that there's just nothing interesting about his kit. I dislike other heroes like Junkrat, Widow and Hanzo, but I can still see why someone would click with them. Bastion, not so much.

Bastion is pretty cute and has some nice skins. A lot of people play for flavor. A lot of people also like the underdog status of taking a simple hero and goin ham with him as well. It was the motivating drive for a lot pyro mains in TF2. Especially ones that started with the pyro before he/she got airblast and some key unlocks.

DeSo

Banned
No one ever votes Torb. I get so many cards and play well as him but no one ever votes for him. I think there's some stigma about him.

MrPanic

Rng has finally blessed me with Zenyatta's skin. It's been a horrible grind but it was finally worth it. Got enough credits to get DVa's as well if I haven't gotten it before the end of the event so all is good again in the world.

Tried two games of competitive, both had leavers in my team. Then I realized it's the weekend so I just straight up deserve the sr loss for even trying.

KiraFA37

Got Roadhog's skin yesterday, not one of the ones I want but given my current luck with boxes I can't be a chooser. I actually want more of the epic skins then the legendaries. The only legendary I really want is Mei's red one and I got that one.

TheOddOne

animation1kcs89.gif

Feels, good, man.

Solo que player here, got placed in Silver (1900) and dropped to around 1750.

Now the climb to Diamond :shudders:

TheOddOne

Every season I have reached high Diamond...and every season im slowly thrown into the hell that is Gold.
Strangely, I had more fun in Silver than Gold. If you get stuck in Gold though, holy hell you get stuck there for good; it’s a struggle. I can fee your pain, man.

Blues1990

What exactly are the rules for inactivity kicking? There's not a cumulative timer? Because I just had some douchecanoe who stood around as Widow for about 45% of the match.

Yep, it's a timer, & it can actually screw over people in a real game (like getting kicked as Reinhardt while shielding at a choke) and I've had situations where I've suddenly had a quick emergency in the middle of a game, only to barely make it back or get kicked by just a couple seconds.

There are people who want to idle only have to move their character around every 20-ish seconds and can still throw a game easily. So the way this mechanic is serves only to hurt legitimate players who are victims of circumstance, while not affecting gamethrowers whatsoever.

Anne

Individual tiering isn't great, but using a slightly different metric in just one class might be okay? Might collect some thoughts on how to make variations of top teams sometime. Anyways how I feel when I look at who I want to pick in the DPS slot. 10/13 are all easily pickable right now I think. Much better than before when you really only had 4~ options.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Individual tiering isn't great, but using a slightly different metric in just one class might be okay? Might collect some thoughts on how to make variations of top teams sometime. Anyways how I feel when I look at who I want to pick in the DPS slot. 10/13 are all easily pickable right now I think. Much better than before when you really only had 4~ options.

I agree that different tiering systems are nice to see.

Though OW also can get more complicated as I feel you could actually tier per map as well. I know Harbleu really liked playing Junkrat on Anubis and Hollywood first point defense. I think Seagull does as well. Niche somewhat describes that but character picks in general are stronger/weaker in all of those, plus koth comps play out differently too.

Antiwhippy

I have her in ??? tier because I don't even know what the best way to build a comp with her yet.

EMP is pretty great for stuff like shatters, self destructs, tact visor.

So basically the standard comp. :p

But yeah it's crazy how a little tweak and suddenly most of the dps class is more viable than before. :p

Anne

EMP is pretty great for stuff like shatters, self destructs, tact visor.

So basically the standard comp. :p

Not exactly. You have to give up a lot of the standard 2/2/2 gameplan in order to run her in the DPS slot. It's a really tricky thing because EMP is savage but the drawbacks of just playing her ultless really hamstring a team :T

NeoRaider

Like someone else said here Sombra's Ultimate is most suicidal Ultimate in this game.
Almost every time i hear "EMP activated", i hear her screaming second or two after that.

Also Sombra alone can't do much with it so it depends a lot on other teammates. Maybe more than any other Ulti in the game. Making it almost useless.

KiraFA37

Apparently my Pharah practicing is paying off! This is of 10 games I played last weekend in QP. I've since been getting better with my accuracy, the thing is the difference between the different tiers in accuracy on Oversume is only a percent. Only thing that can counter me at my level are Widowmakers, Attack/Assault/Battle Ana and my own stupidity. McCree's and Soldiers I can sometimes cause some trouble but I've been able to play pretty decently against teams that consist of all my counters. Might start trying her in comp.

Rizzi

Two people in my last game queued up together picked Widowmaker and Hanzo on attack, then spent the entire game complaining about there not being a healer while the rest of the team pushed the payload.
I hope they're able to buy keyboards with "H" on them soon. :<

AbaFadi

Banned
I have her in ??? tier because I don't even know what the best way to build a comp with her yet.
Back when D.Va was in the meta, self-destruct and EMP was a really good combo. With the current meta, it's hard to say which comp suits her best.

I picked this up on PS4 after having been playing it since release on PC.

I have to say, it's been one of the most hair pulling, teeth grinding, laughable video game situations I have been in years.

The barrier to entry at this point in time, being matched with other noobs, is fucking PAINFUL. After three matches, I was ready to go return the used copy I bought because HOLY Hell this brings the term noob to whole new levels.

Bastion on offense EVERY time. No healer 80% of the time. No tank 50% of the time. And when you get matched against a team with a tank and healer it's GG. I'm not even sure why people continue to try to play.

The thing that made me realize the fundamental differences in player types at the low levels was this McCree I played against who literally spent the entire match trying to duck under/behind cover constantly.

Also, it really stressed the difference in character power between systems. Roadhog is insane at low level. Soldier chews through noobs with aim assist. Sym also with her autolock just chews through noobs. And pharah for people who haven't changed controls yet on ps4 is funny as hell.

Almost like a totally different game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom