• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbaFadi

Banned
what factors contribute to how you place in comp?

want to make sure I place as high as possible this upcoming new season

what are the biggest determining factors? medals? wins? can I still place very high if I get many losses but do very well in each game?

which roles tend to be the best in regards to placing high?

I think performance and wins mostly if your account hasn't been placed before. They haven't said how they're handling placements for season 4 yet, but if it's anything like season 3 placements, you'll be placed around the same rank you left off at during season 3. I think this is how it works, could be wrong.

LiK

my main is Lucio. I pretty much always get gold healing and gold objective, but everything else is a mixed bag

not sure if I should stick with Lucio or Soldier for comp as I usually get more medals as Soldier

You can switch between them depending on team comp. As long as you get win streaks, you'll climb.

I still play a lot, but not at very consistent times anymore

:'(

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sorry if that seemed like I was yelling at you since I quoted you. I'm not, I'm just yelling cause annoyed by misconceptions in general. I honestly do hope that did answer some questions though.
Ah, okay, np. You did answer a bunch of questions and made a lot of good points. I never thought Winston was bad, which was why I was confused at the tone.

It seems that his point is mainly to apply pressure and attempt to force the enemy team into making a decision where both choices are kind of uncomfortable. People have to decide to either help fight Winston, or ignore him and keep fighting the rest of the enemy team to keep their own team together.

Anne

Ah, okay, np. You did answer a bunch of questions and made a lot of good points. I never thought Winston was bad, which was why I was confused at the tone.

It seems that his point is mainly to apply pressure and attempt to force the enemy team into making a decision where both choices are kind of uncomfortable. People have to decide to either help fight Winston, or ignore him and keep fighting the rest of the enemy team to keep their own team together.

Yup, that's exactly what he is supposed to do summed up. I do feel for people because sometimes you're going to force those decisions perfectly, and your team won't take advantage of it.

I did forget to mention how to actually shut down Winston. Playing in a group with some good shielding + a shotgun as a deathball makes it pretty hard for him to force things out. Before when Ana could heal like double what she does now, it was basically impossible for him to break comps which is why he fell off a bit. Post nerf it's not so bad, but you can definitely run into situations where you just can't break a team. The other decent-ish counter is to have people split onto high ground like Soldier/Ana. It makes it harder for him to line up and get high reward off a dive. I specifically mention Soldier/Ana because they can get pretty far out the way and sustain through a Genji + Winston dive on their own. Again, it's not an impossible counter to deal with, but it certainly is hard to deal with.

If you run into those situations and can't break them, it's time to switch it up probably. That's just how Overwatch goes sometimes, gotta switch heroes pretty often based on comp/map. Roadhog nerf is going to make that less common though which is kinda nice.

Symphonic

Winston doesn't need any help at higher levels of play. He's a solid character who gets picked a lot right now and works well with dive comps and even on D against certain comps, like zebbosai ran Winston yesterday on D.

People need to stop thinking heroes are weak just because they don't see them at their own skill tier. I'm a solidly silver/gold player (I suck at FPS and I insist on playing McCree to get better). And yeah Winston is quite rare here though you will occasionally see a guy who really knows what he's doing with Winston and you certainly feel the pain.

Dog I play Winston constantly, that's not what I was saying at all.

Prelude.

Okay, so I'm going to get this out of the way real quick: the devs never explicitly cited hero stacking as to why it was nerfed.
We talked about it in the past, it was more of a general statement, since they haven't touched Winston for the longest time.
I think they specifically mentioned D.Va when they transitioned to 1HL because they were changing her during the same time, but I'm not sure. Before they decided on the 1HL they were balacing every hero with stacking in mind, since they were doubling down on the "it's a viable strategy and you can counter multiples of the same hero if you really want" philosophy, so, by definition, a character can't be powerful enough to break the game if you decide to stack it. D.Va is a perfect example of that, in her recent/current state a D.Va stack is beyond oppressive and not balanced at all, and that's because they don't have to worry about stacking anymore, tuning the hero for a more controlled environment.
Winston is implicitly balanced for stacking and he can be subject to change, I don't know why people are so adamant that he can't be touched. By addressing his crit hitbox they're acknowledging he has survivability issues already.

Prelude.

Isn't kephrii kind of an ass? I don't follow him, but I keep reading that all he does is blame his teammates when he's solo queueing.

AbaFadi

Banned
Isn't kephrii kind of an ass? I don't follow him, but I keep reading that all he does is blame his teammates when he's solo queueing.

The only thing I noticed he really does is telling other people to play certain heroes so that the people in his group can play their mains. Other than that I don't see him being an ass.

antitrop

His bad reputation doesn't really stand up to most of what I've watched of his stream. He's not that bad.

I love this kind of stuff, dude is losing his mind with the hype sub train, I couldn't let it go without doing it, I love his content too and he need all the money possible to do what he loves, win/win situation here <3 ^^

I subbed to Lassiz, my only sub, during a Sub Train. He was about to end his stream and people just started flooding subs/donos so he would have to read them out and not end the stream. It was cool to see someone so happy, totally worth the fiver.

Angel_DvA

I'm not watching all his stream but for the most part, I don't remember seeing him acting like an asshole, I can be wrong though... I usually sub to Seagul or Shadder but I decided to help them with real money so I had a free twitch prime sub to use, if it can help him a little bit, it's ok, he's a Widowmaker beast...

What do you guys think about Hog nerf ? I wished they could do something about his self-healing but it's unlikely, I think he'll be pretty fair with the actual nerf though...

antitrop

InBEHen.png

lol, that's not even fair.

God Widow, God Sombra, God Ana

I kinda feel you should be able to smash Mei out of her Cryo-freeze.

It should be a temporary respite in busy teamfights, not something that grants 4 seconds of invulnerability.

I picked up Overwatch during the Chinese New Year sale. Like a lot of people I've played a lot of TF2 before (~2000 hours barring idling, roaming soldier). My thoughts so far after getting close to Lv10:

1. Roadhog is so easy to play holy shit. Is this balanced at all? Low cooldown hook which is a guaranteed kill on a lot of heroes. The portable medpack doesn't help. I'm playing him like an assassin. I think I went 15-2 on the first time I played him...?
2. I love playing Hanzo. It's like playing Huntsman Sniper except with extra mobility.
3. Is McCree weak? I don't feel a lot of power coming from his revolver. Ultimate is sweet though.
4. Lucio is cool. His skill floor makes him so easy to play as a healer, but I can see that there's also some nuance to him.

Been trying to avoid Pharah because I get the feeling I'll end up playing her most of the time. I want to try other heroes first.

Most irritating hero to fight: Genji. He's super fast!

Jellie

lol, he read my comment in chat. he seems like a cool guy. pretty chill dude.
What did you say? Shadowburn there now too.
I picked up Overwatch during the Chinese New Year sale. Like a lot of people I've played a lot of TF2 before (~2000 hours barring idling, roaming soldier). My thoughts so far after getting close to Lv10:

1. Roadhog is so easy to play holy shit. Is this balanced at all? Low cooldown hook which is a guaranteed kill on a lot of heroes. The portable medpack doesn't help. I'm playing him like an assassin. I think I went 15-2 on the first time I played him...?
2. I love playing Hanzo. It's like playing Huntsman Sniper except with extra mobility.
3. Is McCree weak? I don't feel a lot of power coming from his revolver. Ultimate is sweet though.
4. Lucio is cool. His skill floor makes him so easy to play as a healer, but I can see that there's also some nuance to him.

Been trying to avoid Pharah because I get the feeling I'll end up playing her most of the time. I want to try other heroes first.

Most irritating hero to fight: Genji. He's super fast!
1. Not balanced. His got a nerf on the test server. Hook is 8 seconds now and reels into 3.5m not 2m but has less spread on his gun to compensate.
2. A good hanzo is scary but usually rare.
3. He's pretty good if you aim for heads.
4. Look up DSPstanky to see the skill ceiling. It's nuts. Here's his most notable video.

McCree isn't weak, but he's basically the Counter-Strike analog of the game to Soldier 76's COD. No real mobility to speak of, dependent on flashes and getting those head dings. If you're coming from a roaming soldier background from TF2, Pharah is actually a bit quirky to get used to as you're neither as tanky nor as mobile, I mostly played the same in TF2 and transitioned into playing Zarya due to half her HP being comprised of regenerating shields and having access to the limp but occasionally beneficial boost jumps from her alternate fire.

Jellie

People make fun of his Crossfade spam, but it absolutely does work. I've been incorporating that into my Lucio play since he got popular and it's no bullshit.

Never seen anyone make fun of it. This just shows how effective it is. GMs raging on their streams at failing to hit him.
How do you do it well anyway? I know he rebound it to space but I don't want to do that because muscle memory. M2 for jump is no joke though. I put space and m2 for jump just incase the muscle memory kicks in and m4 for boop.
Also wouldn't do it if I had heroes that rely on aim a lot near by as it probably messes their aim up.

Good job shifting the goal posts? Who cares that he's he "least played tank" which is not even true after the Dva nerf. He sees a lot of play- FAR more than chars like junkrat, hanzo, torb, blah blah. He is a real role player for dive comps. He can be played on D. He's a good switch to counter enemy widow or genji. Giving him a 1000 hp bubble sounds like a great way to turn pro games into garbage. Winston isn't Reinhardt , he would still have a 6 second leap and the ability to dive the fuck outta teams, which means he gets to what, be a half assed Reinhardt sometimes while mostly being an unkillable dive initiator?

Ok, please show me where we're seeing Winston being picked more than D.Va or we just passing off anecdotal evidence? I play Winston so I know/seen the value he provides, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still a situational pick. I never said give him back the 1000HP bubble, I was simply asking in a roundabout way if that would be enough to get us off this Reinhardt co-dependence (a Rein-less payload game is unheard of right now).

Currently the only validation I'm hearing for not touching Winston is that he's fine at the upper level's of play. Let's pretend that the upper level's of play start at diamond, that's still less than 25% of the overall OW population. So we're just going to ignore 75% of the population (which keeps this game alive) just because he's viable when/if you get good? Or maybe should they rethink his play style and let the community as a whole readjust (just like Sym).

We have the PTR to test things out... Is giving him 1-2 less cooldown on his barrier or 700-800HP shield REALLY going to make him OP in the upper levels? That seems to be all I'm hearing, "If they touch him he'll be OP", the truth is we don't know. Just because something is "fine" doesn't mean it can't be improved/balanced better.

LiK

What did you say? Shadowburn there now too.

1. Not balanced. His got a nerf on the test server. Hook is 8 seconds now and reels into 3.5m not 2m but has less spread on his gun to compensate.
2. A good hanzo is scary but usually rare.
3. He's pretty good if you aim for heads.
4. Look up DSPstanky to see the skill ceiling. It's nuts. Here's his most notable video.

"new here. fun times."

he read that and said "welcome welcome" or something.

Wow it's like he's playing a totally different game. I didn't know Lucio can get to so many places. I thought his wall run was just horizontal.

And yeah I'm actually awful at hitscan weapons so McCree probably isn't a good fit for me. I'm playing on a crap laptop with all settings turned down (50% rendering) so headshots are extra difficult. I might still try Widowmaker though. From the kill cams, the charge rate of her sniper rifle is insansely fast next to TF2 Sniper.

If you're coming from a roaming soldier background from TF2, Pharah is actually a bit quirky to get used to as you're neither as tanky nor as mobile, I mostly played the same in TF2 and transitioned into playing Zarya due to half her HP being comprised of regenerating shields and having access to the limp but occasionally beneficial boost jumps from her alternate fire.

Hmm, really. I thought Pharah'd be a good fit because she looked like she could fly. I need to try Zarya. She's SUPER tanky from experience. I don't think I've killed her 1v1.

finalflame

Hmm, really. I thought Pharah'd be a good fit because she looked like she could fly. I need to try Zarya. She's SUPER tanky from experience. I don't think I've killed her 1v1.

Zarya is pretty tanky but you need to know when to engage and when to disengage. If you have good healers that will focus you when you go in you can really go beast mode with her. She's a good loner because her health regen means as long as you're never in TOO deep you can just fall back and get back to full HP.

With that said, if you catch a Zarya off guard you can definitely shit on her. Her bubble is on a 10 second cooldown and only mitigates 200dmg/2 seconds, whichever comes first.

Pharah hovers about more than anything and with the greater range of hitscan options in the game versus her standard health pool, TF2 Soldier play doesn't go as far beyond aiming rockets, at least to me. I don't want to sell you on Zarya as some kind of Soldier equivalent in the game as she's not and has a completely different dynamic, but I've found enough of what I liked in Soldier translating into her like the higher health pool and survivability, being able to do splash jumping without cooldown (although Zarya doesn't get too much height out of it, it does come in handy), and having a good deal of flexibility in what they provide that they can fit into a good deal of team compositions. But I love the dynamic that she provides through ally protection, baiting hits, and the ebb and flow of her energy management that allows you to DPS as well.

Jellie

Wow it's like he's playing a totally different game. I didn't know Lucio can get to so many places. I thought his wall run was just horizontal.

And yeah I'm actually awful at hitscan weapons so McCree probably isn't a good fit for me. I'm playing on a crap laptop with all settings turned down (50% rendering) so headshots are extra difficult. I might still try Widowmaker though. From the kill cams, the charge rate of her sniper rifle is insansely fast next to TF2 Sniper.

It's kind of an unorthadox way to play him. Usually he helps keep the other support alive with boops and heals, engaging/disengaging fights, chasing low health enemies trying to escape and shot calls.

Zarya is pretty scary when fully charge so don't shoot her bubbles if you can help it. It's worth shooting them if you can kill the person bubbled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom