• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lose 27 SR after a guy leaves and we were still able to capture a point a man down making it 2-2 before we lost on Nepal.

eKuUFSb.gif

TheOddOne

It's kind of an unorthadox way to play him. Usually he helps keep the other support alive with boops and heals, engaging/disengaging fights, chasing low health enemies trying to escape and shot calls.
Depends, when you're starting out that is indeed the best way to play him. When you do get a good grasp of him though, you can play him aggressively. For example: with an aggressive Reinhart, you can do so much damage.

randome

I've never done competitive and just got to level 25. How is it different than quick play/arcade? Anything I should know going in? I'm kinda nervous I'll just get dominated. Thanks!

ohkay

Currently the only validation I'm hearing for not touching Winston is that he's fine at the upper level's of play. Let's pretend that the upper level's of play start at diamond, that's still less than 25% of the overall OW population. So we're just going to ignore 75% of the population (which keeps this game alive) just because he's viable when/if you get good? Or maybe should they rethink his play style and let the community as a whole readjust (just like Sym).
But there are already a lot of characters that are not viable unless you get good. Genji, Tracer, Hanzo, Widow, etc. can be a liability to a team unless the person playing them knows what they're doing.

antitrop

I've never done competitive and just got to level 25. How is it different than quick play/arcade? Anything I should know going in? I'm kinda nervous I'll just get dominated. Thanks!
For a long time, the biggest difference between QP and Competitive was that QP had hero stacking (multiples of the same character on the same team) and Competitive didn't (well, not for 99% of the time it's been a thing, anyway).

Since QP was changed to remove hero stacking, the biggest differences between QP and Comp are:

- Competitive starts with 10 placement games that gives the system a rough idea of your skill level.

- People generally communicate more in Comp, though you still get plenty of games where no one is talking at all, or the mic only gets used to trash-talk/call people out on their mistakes.

- Games are roughly twice as long in Comp, since it gives both sides a shot at Attacking and Defending. King of the Hill maps are BO5 in Comp, instead of BO3 in QP.

- On Payload maps, you only have to get the payload farther than the other team, instead of the win condition being purely getting the payload to the very end of the map, like it is in QP.

- You can get Draws in Competitive, while every game in QP ends with a decisive Winner and Loser.

- Winning games in Competitive gives you points that you can spend to buy a Golden weapon for any character of your choice (though it takes a shitload of wins to get one, roughly 100 hours of play).

So many attempts to play Sombra and I still can't figure out what her role is. Maybe it's because I mainly play her on Defense? I am practicing with her in QM and never get teams that can hold a line or capitalize on my hacks. I always have to switch because I'll be harassing the team, only to look back and realize my whole crew is wiped.

I don't know.

Edit: Regarding the Winston talk, I don't play as him much but when I do he's very effective. It does depend on the comps of your team and the enemies though. If he's your solo tank you're going to have a hard time.

Unlike QP, competitive does not have any join in progress, so you queue to the start of a match with everyone else and everyone's committed to that match (quitters don't get replaced and can bone you big time, but that's the nature of it). Another difference from QP is that matches are expanded. King of the Hill requires 3 rounds to win the game, while Capture Point and Payload have you play out both attack and defense phases (and further attack/defense phases if a victor hasn't been determined by the first set, which goes on until a victor is determined or gives a draw if the time pool runs out). Aside from that you get a neat little badge rank to show off or be ashamed of your e-penis and earn competitive points that can unlock golden guns.

Don't be intimidated by it, you'll be alongside players going through the same. Just have fun with it.

Village

So many attempts to play Sombra and I still can't figure out what her role is. Maybe it's because I mainly play her on Defense? I am practicing with her in QM and never get teams that can hold a line or capitalize on my hacks. I always have to switch because I'll be harassing the team, only to look back and realize my whole crew is wiped.

I don't know.

I user her mainly on attack as a defence breaker

" ooops your bastion can't be in tank mode anymore, oh he's dead, welp pushing the payload"

I user her mainly on attack as a defence breaker

" ooops your bastion can't be in tank mode anymore, oh he's dead, welp pushing the payload"

I'll try that more then.

And does a Torb completely shut her down or what? I haven't figured out how to approach a team that has a turret up.

antitrop

Unlike QP, competitive does not have any join in progress, so you queue to the start of a match with everyone else and everyone's committed to that match (quitters don't get replaced and can bone you big time, but that's the nature of it).

Ya, that's a big one. Quick Play backfill is fucking ajhfisudhgiusdhgsduoghsdg, I hate it so much.

They can keep their +400 Backfill XP and stop wasting my God damn time.

Huh, first time I've had the enemy team just quit tonight. Funny thing is, they were winning, we were in the fourth match, 2-1 on a capture the point game, when suddenly just half the enemy team fell out.

They were probably two minutes away from winning. We weren't grouping or using our ults well. Our Roadhog couldn't land a hook for his life. Even worse, they had the point when these guys left.

When asked why, the other team just said they had two salty teammates who were just screaming at everyone.

It's the same with a little more teamwork and a lot more raging.

Huh, first time I've had the enemy team just quit tonight. Funny thing is, they were winning, we were in the fourth match, 2-1 on a capture the point game, when suddenly just half the enemy team fell out.

They were probably two minutes away from winning. We weren't grouping or using our ults well. Our Roadhog couldn't land a hook for his life. Even worse, they had the point when these guys left.

When asked why, the other team just said they had two salty teammates who were just screaming at everyone.

Funniest rage quit I've seen: My team beats the opposition 3-?. It's their turn. At the start of the round one of theirs DCs. The other 5 ragequit immediately.

Then the one guy that DCed logs back on and says "What happened?"

ROFL

Village

Do you want an OP grapple character in an fps?
Can you even handle that?
If they wanna steal anyone, ask them if they can steal Captain Commando and put him in overwatch. Or bionic commando, but that's basically doomfist

Yooo, they could give genji a strider outfit

LiK

Played Defense in Eichen and we didn't have any tanks. I was Mercy and we managed to win. Kept them alive lol

I DID IT. :D

X1fEAhq.jpg

I've been trying for months to get into Diamond and I've finally done it. It was a long road filled with stuff like 4/10 placement matches being thrown due to computer crashes, a drop from 2700 all the way down to 2200 at one point and countless throwers/server hoppers but man does it feel good now.

Same from me, I dropped 2800 to 2200 before I was able to climb to Diamond.

Congrats!

Thanks! :D I honestly am glad that the road was so hard though because I've gained a really good understanding of the game and how it works. At the start of Season 2 I set a goal for myself to learn at least two Heroes in every classification and it's paid dividends. Being able to flex for my teams was such a godsend, especially when paired with 1-tricks/stubborn players.

Nimby

Banned
Love it when you're healing someone, and a Widow/Hanzo one-shots them and they blame you.

"Mercy, why did you stop healing me?"

Welp. Fuck it. I'm done with Overwatch. Been a good nine months but it's time to move on.

Comp rank got nuked by the changes this season and now my main team I was with before that was in the same SR range (Who somehow skyrocketed after placements this season) in previous seasons has booted me. And now I have far, FAR better things to be doing with my life than finding another regular team to do comp with.

Thanks Blizzard. Back to CSGO with me.

KanameYuuki

I've been getting my ass kicked at 25XX just like last season after placements, I actually wanted to be on a lower tier so I could climb up on a reasonable pace while getting better but again I was thrown vs players that I just can't deal with : | I guess I'll just not play ranked anymore till next season just to get the currency for golden weapons.

Welp. Fuck it. I'm done with Overwatch. Been a good nine months but it's time to move on.

Comp rank got nuked by the changes this season and now my main team I was with before that was in the same SR range (Who somehow skyrocketed after placements this season) in previous seasons has booted me. And now I have far, FAR better things to be doing with my life than finding another regular team to do comp with.

Thanks Blizzard. Back to CSGO with me.

I mean, unless they were in such a high division from you after placements that they literally couldn't play with you I don't know why they'd drop you over just having bad luck with placements. Either way, sorry that happened to you.

komaruR

1 thing i do want blizz to do for console and is to let us choose what button trigger what communication like on pc. helps alot if i press a button to tell my ult% instead of press and hold down dpad and then right stick to select.

I mean, unless they were in such a high division from you after placements that they literally couldn't play with you I don't know why they'd drop you over just having bad luck with placements. Either way, sorry that happened to you.

We were still able to play comp with eachother, it's just I went from the highest SR in the group to the lowest at a few hundred below them this season, and they decided I'd be a liability next season if the placements got even more stringent in Season 4.

And honestly, when I think on everything concerning my time with them the past few months, I'm thinking my first mistake was me grouping up with a bunch of highschool/college age kids with too much time on their hands and delusions of going pro while I'm in my thirties working a full time job.

Holy shit, hog can two shot bots with left click from 10 m now. Spread reduction is intense. Still in a better spot now that he is more useless in team fights, but...

Right click range now starts at the same spot but extends to 14 m away for one shot on squishies.

We were still able to play comp with eachother, it's just I went from the highest SR in the group to the lowest at a few hundred below them this season, and they decided I'd be a liability next season if the placements got even more stringent in Season 4.

And honestly, when I think on everything concerning my time with them the past few months, I'm thinking my first mistake was me grouping up with a bunch of highschool/college age kids with too much time on their hands and delusions of going pro while I'm in my thirties working a full time job.

Thirties + full time job + wife and kid = quick play for me. And you know what? I actually started enjoying the game again after switching to QP and staying there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom