• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skii

I got outplayed so hard by a Pharah a few weeks ago in Eichenwalde. I was playing soldier and I knew that the enemy team had one Pharah, so I was looking for her to come from my right since I wasn't seeing her in the middle. 30s in and no Pharah to be seen anywhere, then she appears right above me from behind and kill me immediately with two rockets.

When I came back from the spawn my team was already wiped since we had no direct counter to her besides me. "Our soldier sucks" the team said... feels bad man ;_;

All this to say that in Eichenwalde you can also easily flank going right as Pharah instead of the usual left, flying above the houses and using your blast to get all the way behind them without being seen. If only I knew this at the time...

Yeah Pharah is really strong for all of Eichenwalde except the final stretch. There's so many flanking routes and great cover for her to manipulate. Recently I played against a Pharmercy that completely carried their team on Eichenwalde.

Grief.exe

As a Roadhog main, Reinhardt is irritating, but Zarya is downright infuriating if she saves her bubble for my hooks. She's the only character that can consistently force me to change off of Roadhog because I feel useless. So I'm in the "saving lives" camp in terms of how she can be effectively used.

It's going to get worse for Hog next season as the Zarya bubble will match the Roadhog hook. Theoretically, you should be able to save, conservatively, 80+% of hooked targets. Since you will be aware there is a Roadhog on the other team and save your c/d specifically for hooks.

I was a Zarya main during season 1 (ranked 99 percentile on Overbuff), and I will likely transition back to that point for Season 4.

I've had several roadhog mains on the other team tell me good job or my team saying thanks for saving them by making sure I have bubbles for the hooks. Plus with the CD nerf to the hook it matches the bubble CD. 6v6 instead of a 6v5 is better than having a higher charge.

Ya 6v6 is far more powerful, then a 6v5 scenario but having a higher average Zarya charge.

It's a good point. Working with your team matters, and helping your team function is more important than getting medals.

Otherwise you end up with that asshole tank who goes "oh, why am I a tank and have gold damage~ why do you all suck~" because he's ignoring his team constantly dying to people that he's supposed to be protecting them from, and getting medals from uselessly spamming into the tank because the enemy team considers him a low-value target.

How many times have we heard that lol

Yeah Pharah is really strong for all of Eichenwalde except the final stretch. There's so many flanking routes and great cover for her to manipulate. Recently I played against a Pharmercy that completely carried their team on Eichenwalde.

You pretty much need a good Pharah on that map regardless to get past the first objective since the choke is so strong. That's also likely a reason for many teams fizzling out on that last objective, since she gets substantially weaker at the end.

Cappa

Banned
So my path to Master has hit a brick wall... 0 for 4 in the last four games. I lost 2 on Monday and now 2 just now.

The first game today it was close game on Eichenwalde it finished 2-2 but we didnt make it further than the other team. It was a weird matching though... it was 2 diamonds, 2 top 500 players, and 2 masters on each team. The two top 500 on my team were like 300 and 200 and the other two, a group, on the other team were 81 and 82.

The second one was a complete fucking disaster on Hanamura. Someone on our team left early and we actually were holding the second point fine, they only got it with about 1:00 left but then when we switched to attack two more people left and that was that...

ugh... I know some people like to talk about how easy it is to rank up but sometimes the shit that happens is just out of your hands.

Jellie

It's going to get worse for Hog next season as the Zarya bubble will match the Roadhog hook. Theoretically, you should be able to save, conservatively, 80+% of hooked targets. Since you will be aware there is a Roadhog on the other team and save your c/d specifically for hooks.

I was a Zarya main during season 1 (ranked 99 percentile on Overbuff), and I will likely transition back to that point for Season 4.

Ya 6v6 is far more powerful, then a 6v5 scenario but having a higher average Zarya charge.

How many times have we heard that lol

You pretty much need a good Pharah on that map regardless to get past the first objective since the choke is so strong. That's also likely a reason for many teams fizzling out on that last objective, since she gets substantially weaker at the end.

It's probably best to try and get charge quickly then use your projeceted to save and your own to maintain the charge. You also need to get your ult fast enough which takes longer on low charge.

jviggy43

The "quickplay doesn't mean anything so lets just be idiots" meme really needs to die. There's a reason they added a fucking hero limit to quick play and then added arcade mode.

And it still doesn't matter haha. Quick play is a cesspool where the only positive is you can practice individual characters against a team with a widow/hanzo plus 4 dps.

Owzers

When Season 4 happens, let's go to Masters my friends!
I already feel like a master Mercy, might as well get the rank too.

I had a pro win in Anubis as Mercy, I was defending b and ended up behind the point and a soldier found me, shot me a couple times, then went back to the point leaving me alive. :/ I res three.

Grief.exe

She's one my main picks now. Altho I fucking suck at using her Ult bomb. How does it drop? Does it always land where the reticule is?

Go to custom game settings, select headshots only and jack up ultimate charge rate. Add a bunch of Anas to the opposing team and practice.

I haven't played much of Tracer, but she only throws it out a few feet, so you are going to have to tilt your aim upwards to get some arc on it.

Anne

Go to custom game settings, select headshots only and jack up ultimate charge rate. Add a bunch of Anas to the opposing team and practice.

I explained on my stream why Ana practice is bad :x. The AI moves differently than a human, and a large part of aim is predicting how a human will move. Hilariously enough the pre-programmed training bots in training mode are a bit better at messing with muscle memory on that.

Grief.exe

I explained on my stream why Ana practice is bad :x. The AI moves differently than a human, and a large part of aim is predicting how a human will move. Hilariously enough the pre-programmed training bots in training mode are a bit better at messing with muscle memory on that.

Maybe for landing aim, but if you're practicing for Tracer ultimate arc than it shouldn't be an issue. I generally practice my hook aim in that mode since I can tweak ability usage and just throw out hook after hook.

Their movement is odd. It's like they are strafing indefinitely, then randomly decide to strafe the opposite direction, then randomly strafe back. It's strange. What would you recommend for practice?

rulerk1

Tracers death scream sounds like she is surprised she died. Widow sounds like she's disgusted you killed her. I can't stop laughing at some of these death screams

She's one my main picks now. Altho I fucking suck at using her Ult bomb. How does it drop? Does it always land where the reticule is?
Usually have to arc it up to get a decent distance

Though im usually stickiing it with a graviton combo. So im all the way up making it easier to stick.
If the gravitons still got a while to come. Ill usually hide and try to stick it on a support

Filben

dammit, need to practice then. i fucking fail with it so many times. but hey, i can kill with her guns pretty good now, lol
I used to try to actually 'throw' it on my enemies. More luck than anything

Hit the enemy, blink right into him, press Q, blink or time warp out of there. That way you almost never miss a target, especially if it's a tank. Softening them up is needed, since high hp tanks can survive the bomb alone. And while you at it, blinking towards them, why not shooting with your guns.

I went from like 1.5 to 3.5 bomb stuck per game with that method.

LiK

I used to try to actually 'throw' it on my enemies. More luck than anything

Hit the enemy, blink right into him, press Q, blink or time warp out of there. That way you almost never miss a target, especially if it's a tank. Softening them up is needed, since high hp tanks can survive the bomb alone. And while you at it, blinking towards them, why not shooting with your guns.

I went from like 1.5 to 3.5 bomb stuck per game with that method.
Ok, good tip. Get up to their face to stick it. I use the recall method to escape already.

ohkay

I've been consistently using Ana bots for practice with Mccree and noticed my crit accuracy has gone up pretty significantly, but it might also just be from playing the game

She throws directly 2 feet in front her, don't think it has anything to do with reticule.
This can't be true because you can change the distance by changing the throw arc

dammit, need to practice then. i fucking fail with it so many times. but hey, i can kill with her guns pretty good now, lol

You don't have it mapped to the triangle right? It's the default but it's awful obviously, it should be on the shoulder buttons so you can aim when throwing it.

PeterGAF

Banned
Yeah I'm done with ranked for the season. Once you get down to 2500 there's no going back into diamond. People this low on Xbox just don't know how to play. Team comps are bad, no one communicates, and no one pays attention to the quick chat (apparently group up means "not me").

One bad stretch and now im stuck in no mans land. Oh well. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

Jellie

You don't have it mapped to the triangle right? It's the default but it's awful obviously, it should be on the shoulder buttons so you can aim when throwing it.

Had it on R1 I think when I was on PS4. Need it there so you can use it quicker. The time taken to move to triangle can result in missing the stick.

Gorillaz

Yeah I'm done with ranked for the season. Once you get down to 2500 there's no going back into diamond. People this low on Xbox just don't know how to play.

One bad stretch and now im stuck in no mans land. Oh well. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

I know a guy that went 3100s to 1700s

Told him not to even play the game anymore until season 4

Filben

Ok, good tip. Get up to their face to stick it. I use the recall method to escape already.
Don't know how many hours you're into Tracer, so bear with me if you already know that. Use recall only as a last resort, you're out of blinks or you really need to get back to the exact position you were. As long as you have blinks, use these (works in every direction with WASD and it's combinations like WA, SD, etc.).

Been playing her since release because she was introduced as the first hero (in the tutorial) is sort of Overwatch's mascot and her fast play style suits mine (that's my I suck at shooters like R6: Siege or BF1). She's just great.

Keep tracin'!

LiK

Don't know how many hours you're into Tracer, so bear with me if you already know that. Use recall only as a last resort, you're out of blinks or you really need to get back to the exact position you were. As long as you have blinks, use these (works in every direction with WASD and it's combinations like WA, SD, etc.).

Been playing her since release because she was introduced as the first hero (in the tutorial) is sort of Overwatch's mascot and her fast play style suits mine (that's my I suck at shooters like R6: Siege or BF1). She's just great.

Keep tracin'!

I played with her off and on since launch but didn't really start playing her more seriously until this year. She's super fun.

So my path to Master has hit a brick wall... 0 for 4 in the last four games. I lost 2 on Monday and now 2 just now.

The first game today it was close game on Eichenwalde it finished 2-2 but we didnt make it further than the other team. It was a weird matching though... it was 2 diamonds, 2 top 500 players, and 2 masters on each team. The two top 500 on my team were like 300 and 200 and the other two, a group, on the other team were 81 and 82.

The second one was a complete fucking disaster on Hanamura. Someone on our team left early and we actually were holding the second point fine, they only got it with about 1:00 left but then when we switched to attack two more people left and that was that...

ugh... I know some people like to talk about how easy it is to rank up but sometimes the shit that happens is just out of your hands.

That sucks :(

There's a lot of luck involved.

Never changed the mapping for Ults.

You definitely should, it makes a lot of difference. Tracer and Ana are "obligatory" IMO.

I also changed it for Pharah and Hanzo, but it's not as important.

Had it on R1 I think when I was on PS4. Need it there so you can use it quicker. The time taken to move to triangle can result in missing the stick.

Yeah same here.

LiK

I cant understand how people can play with jump as one of the X/square/circle/triangle buttons. you literally have to take your finger off the stick to hit jump

mine is L1

If the triangle is on a paddle that changes everything, that way you don't have to let go of the right stick to use your ult. That was the point :p

X and O are mapped to paddles so I can use either one for quick hits. ;)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've been doing Ana practice and sometimes just going around the training bot map, and I think I've gotten much more comfortable with my aim as a result. At my level, I think it's good for getting you more used to basic FPS aiming, and getting really comfortable with aiming exactly where you want to point. I find I've been overshooting my flicks less and generally have less corrections to do these days.

I imagine that past a certain point (as in, once you can flick and aim/track with 100% confidence without needing to check if your movement actually put your crosshairs where you wanted to put them), bots could teach bad habits if you're getting used to predicting through bot movement. But I'm nowhere near that step yet.

Moonkid

Just had a game with the most pleasant team n_____n It's nice playing without any macho dudes/kids swearing all the time.

edit: Swapping ult mapping is something that never even occurred to me for some reason. Thanks for the tip Nuno!

LiK

Just had a game with the most pleasant team n_____n It's nice playing without any macho dudes/kids swearing all the time.

did you add them to friend list?

i had that happen once and i think i should've added that group. they sounded like pleasant people.

exYle

I switched Jump to Circle and now I play better.

Do you have a SCUF controller that doesn't have the remapping? If so, I absolutely agree with you. I have no idea why default controls have X on the left and O on the right. You generally use X more than O, and when your muscle memory has you pressing a button with your right hand to use X's function, it only makes sense to have X's function mapped to the right paddle.

Also, with Tracer you should map her ult to L2 or L1 - whichever trigger button you don't use for her blinks. On PS4 by default both L2 and L1 are mapped to blink.

When Season 4 happens, let's go to Masters my friends!

If you are serious about this, should we put together a team? Figure out our roles on the different maps? I've always thought that Genji is my best character but I'm ineffective with him frequently cause I don't have a team that plays around him.

LiK

Do you have a SCUF controller that doesn't have the remapping? If so, I absolutely agree with you. I have no idea why default controls have X on the left and O on the right. You generally use X more than O, and when your muscle memory has you pressing a button with your right hand to use X's function, it only makes sense to have X's function mapped to the right paddle.

Also, with Tracer you should map her ult to L2 or L1 - whichever trigger button you don't use for her blinks. On PS4 by default both L2 and L1 are mapped to blink.

If you are serious about this, should we put together a team? Figure out our roles on the different maps? I've always thought that Genji is my best character but I'm ineffective with him frequently cause I don't have a team that plays around him.

Yea, I got the most basic one without remapping but it's fine. After my X paddle snapped off, I switched to O while waiting for replacements and I liked how much better it felt to use O for jumping. So I'll stick with it. I don't give a shit about crouching since I don't teabag so not a big loss. I might pick up a new one with remapping in the future for convenience.

I'm not sure about being a premade since I play based on mood but I can play 11 heroes now without any major issues so I can switch around to counter, no problem. Still not gonna use a mic cuz I found playing compeittive games online with headphones just makes me play worse. My ears get all hot and it annoys me. Had no issues climbing with Vault without using mics at all in Season 2 so it should be fine. I don't need to instalock anyone anymore.

adamy

Banned
debating whether to buy Lucio's golden gun or wait for Doomfist

Lucio is my main but his golden gun seems kinda lame compared to the other heros

hell the skin I use gives him a golden gun by default

LiK

debating whether to buy Lucio's golden gun or wait for Doomfist

Lucio is my main but his golden gun seems kinda lame compared to the other heros

hell the skin I use gives him a golden gun by default

yea, 76 Gold outfit gives his gun partial gold so no need to waste the gold on him either. i'm still debating on giving Zen golden balls or not.

Moonkid

I still don't have enough points for a golden gun, about 250 off I think. I'm gonna go for Lucio as a token of respect to my most played hero :3
did you add them to friend list?

i had that happen once and i think i should've added that group. they sounded like pleasant people.
I didn't ;_; I preferred them though and I played with one of them again in the next round. She played a good Zenyatta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom