• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

If Reaper sees changes, I'm sure it'll be wraithform or shadowstep related.

Shadowstep is such an underwhelming ability I wouldnt mind seeing it completely reworked. How slow and plodding it is is pretty funny given the WoW Shadowstep is anything but that

Needs an audio change like Sombra with Stealth.

"HEY GUYS, I'M TELEPORTING OVER HERE!"

ZangBa

I like wraith form the way it is but I wouldn't mind being able to cancel it early. I don't see why they couldn't test it on the PTR and then ignore all feedback and release it anyway.

this has always been the case since she's the only healer that requires aim, which means at higher levels she will still be played a ton.
So it's more balancing for the pros.

Console especially she will be complete ass. I was a pretty decent Ana as I'm sure some people here can atttest. But it's not like I was always hitting my shots, especially on smaller teammates. This completely ruins the character at most levels, and completely on console.

But hey, everyone has their moment in the sun, and their moment in the timeout corner. Every character would be lucky to dominate the game the way Ana has for as long as she has. And Owzers is thrilled. Mercy>>Ana now.

This is just a situation where they really should reduce all those nerfs by 50% on console. They just don't care enough too.

aeolist

Banned
I like wraith form the way it is but I wouldn't mind being able to cancel it early. I don't see why they couldn't test it on the PTR and then ignore all feedback and release it anyway.

yeah i don't buy their argument for why it's un-cancelable, other comparable abilities like ice block and dva's boost are cancelable and it wouldn't give him some crazy advantage.

aeolist

Banned

Console especially she will be complete ass. I was a pretty decent Ana as I'm sure some people here can atttest. But it's not like I was always hitting my shots, especially on smaller teammates. This completely ruins the character at most levels, and completely on console.

But hey, everyone has their moment in the sun, and their moment in the timeout corner. Every character would be lucky to dominate the game the way Ana has for as long as she has. And Owzers is thrilled. Mercy>>Ana now.

This is just a situation where they really should reduce all those nerfs by 50% on console. They just don't care enough too.

it's not balancing for pros, it'll have a big effect on the PC from plat on up. console balance will always be fucked because the game has aim-intensive high skill-cap heroes that will never ever play as well on a pad, that's just what you get when you buy shooters on those platforms.

His teleport should be much faster. Doesn't help that it makes a lot of noise, too. Or just rework it entirely.

Not sure how it 'feels' on pc, but it sure is clunky on console. It always seems to grab where I don't want to go, so I'm stuck sitting there for a few seconds trying to get where I'm wanting to go.

omg. i've been playing so terrible lately. i clutch Q for no fucking reason other than save my life. sometimes i think my team is behind me but nope. it's just mean and the other team. sometimes i swap between lucio and zen depending how spread out the team is there's so much healing i can do if they aren't around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shadowstep in WoW teleports hte rogue instantly to a target rather than a location

I'd like that with a slightly smaller delay than it currently has

Needs an audio change like Sombra with Stealth.

"HEY GUYS, I'M TELEPORTING OVER HERE!"

This is what I was thinking as well, people know well beforehand were you gonna land, make shadowstep give you the ability to be unheard to the enemy for a brief moment, that alone would make him viable as a flanker.

ZangBa

Personally, I'm opposed to all balance changes on console that deviate from PC. I'd like the game to be consistent across all platforms. I understand some characters feel weaker this way, but I've seen enough convincing Widows to the point where I think it's overblown. Ana's shots are also pretty forgiving when targeting teammates. I have absolutely terrible aim and usually I can get at least 60-65% unscoped accuracy.

it's not balancing for pros, it'll have a big effect on the PC from plat on up. console balance will always be fucked because the game has aim-intensive high skill-cap heroes that will never ever play as well on a pad, that's just what you get when you buy shooters on those platforms.
"Suck it up peasant"

As if it's unreasonable to expect them to put any thought at all into balancing the game for a large part of their player base.

My attempt at a wraith form and teleport rework.

Wraith: 50% dmg reduction, +50% move speed, can now attack while in wraith form. 12 second cooldown.

Teleport: 50% dmg reduction during animation, animation time reduced by 50%. 8 second cool down.

Just winging it. It may or may not be overly op.

ZangBa

My attempt at a wraith form and teleport rework.

Wraith: 50% dmg reduction, +50% move speed, can now attack while in wraith form. 12 second cooldown.

Teleport: 50% dmg reduction during animation, animation time reduced by 50%. 8 second cool down.

Just winging it. It may or may not be overly op.

Bro, that wraith form change would make him an absolute God and he would always be picked.

Skii

almost like a healer is supposed ot get countered by flankers and she shouldn't have been able to solo them in the first place

She does get countered by flankers though even with all her tools? She's the most difficult to counter but she has no escape like Lucio/Mercy do and no save me ult like the other 3 healers do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
She does get countered by flankers though even with all her tools? She's the most difficult to counter but she has no escape like Lucio/Mercy do and no save me ult like the other 3 healers do.

her sleep is her escape. the problemn is that she could also solo flankers by herself with all her abilities and her high damage.

These nerfs for Ana are a bit overkill but maybe because all I play is Ana in comp. I don't agree with complaints like "she shouldn't be able to take out flankers". That is what makes playing her as a support actually enjoyable. Why do I need to rely on shitty team members to protect me from a Tracer or Genji? Or a soldiers who can't take a second to shoot down a Phara?

Because healers shouldn't be able to outclass the DPS characters that are designed to deal with them? If I'm playing as Zen and a Tracer gets to me, I know I'm fucked. As much as I love playing Ana, the fact that she can hold her own against flankers AND is the best healer in the game was just too much.

Honestly I'm okay with grounding Ana just for the purposes of not having anything close to the smothering tank meta anymore.

I'm excited about these changes. Time to practice dives!

The characters I have the most fun playing are Tracer and Winston and D.Va. Not necessarily who I'm best with, but they're who I always end up having fun as them. Therefore I'm super excited for these PTR changes because I'll probably get to play as them waaaaay more often and actually have good games!

Because healers shouldn't be able to outclass the DPS characters that are designed to deal with them? If I'm playing as Zen and a Tracer gets to me, I know I'm fucked. As much as I love playing Ana, the fact that she can hold her own against flankers AND is the best healer in the game was just too much.

Honestly I'm okay with grounding Ana just for the purposes of not having anything close to the smothering tank meta anymore.

shes does get outclassed unless they are bad. unless she sleeps them, but that is her only escape.

ZangBa

The more I think about those numbers, you're right.

However I think something like that could work with the right tweak of the numbers.

Maybe reduce his dmg by 50% as well.

A damage reduction I think will no way happen, move speed I think is ok. I rather keep immunity though with a cancel for fighting Roadhogs. It would make that matchup more in his favor without it being too one-sided.

I don't really like "greedy" abilities that much in this game since it's a team game. Imagine if they just scrapped shadowstep and gave him something more team oriented, like a small targetable AoE he can dump on the ground that slows people in it, complete with creepy hands trying to grab people's feet.

Gorillaz

This will probably kill her more on console then PC but it's not like blizzard actually tried hard on that front to begin with or knows fully what to do.

Junkrat no longer getting hurt from his own shoots and winston's cooldown on the shield being a better are great tho

That Ana nerf is a big relief. Most people on console gold rank don't know how to deal with her. I've lost many games where the opposing team just huddles behind a Rein shield soaking up grenade heals while building their ults. It was out of control. A sniper should not have such an effective AOE.

aeolist

Banned
"Suck it up peasant"

As if it's unreasonable to expect them to put any thought at all into balancing the game for a large part of their player base.

it's unreasonable to expect the balance to be equivalent between the platforms when they have to account for severe and fundamental control differences. ana is more forgiving than any of the other aim-based characters since friendly hitboxes are so big and there's autoaim so she's still usable, but characters like her will always be harder on console and PC and there's nothing blizzard can do about that unless sony and MS want to start allowing keyboard and mouse.

I'm pretty sure that has to be because of QP. If you check out the stats we know about S3 pickrates:

A lot of the core dive characters don't get spikes in usage until they are in M/GM. I know this is all of S3 so yeah, but anecdotally even post nerfs people just cling to the safe tank and 2/2/2 line ups. If you go to the bnet boards (yeah I know) even the higher ranking posters (diamond+, top 10%) are all still very convinced they are trapped in trip tank hell and Ana is the end all be all goddess.

They need to find a way to get people to explore other ways to play the game, and a lot of it comes down to having a bad UX on top of very unclear balance to people that aren't extremely literate in the game :T

The fact that a lot of this makes some sense if you are literate in the game while people say "lol Blizzard balance" speaks volumes for why they are looking at making these changes. They gotta start steering their general playerbase into some of this stuff.

It's too late for D.Va players though. That was an astronomical fuck up.
Every hero needs a tutorial. That will be a good start.

Nimby

Banned
If Ana misses her sleep, she also has effectively 300 HP (will be 250) because of her grenade. If she can't kill her flanker, then the added HP will most likely buy enough time for her to get backup from her team, or your team to capitalize on all the enemies aggro-ing on your Ana to get some trade picks instead.

Zen can hold his own, but he has to land his shots. And they usually have to be headshots. Mercy can fly away, but can still be chased down easily while flying or pelted away from afar. Ana has the advantage over these two with survivability and general healing output, it kinda wasn't fair.

It's a very welcome change, the only change that I wouldn't mind staying is her damage output.

Holiday

Banned
The characters I have the most fun playing are Tracer and Winston and D.Va. Not necessarily who I'm best with, but they're who I always end up having fun as them. Therefore I'm super excited for these PTR changes because I'll probably get to play as them waaaaay more often and actually have good games!
Same, but Tracer and Genji for me. Coordinated dives are probably the funnest thing in the game for me when they work out.

LiK

Junks who can't get you past a Rein shield at a choke isn't doing their jobs. They should be spamming the shit outta it until it breaks so people can push in.

Detecting critical teammates? Why?

You can see enemies through walls, no?

Junks who can't get you past a Rein shield at a choke isn't doing their jobs. They should be spamming the shit outta it until it breaks so people can push in.

Exactly. 120 total damage per grenade means you can bring the shield down in two clips.

Not to mention using the mine to disrupt Reins by tossing it over the shield to move him out of position.

Also I wish Junkrat was more viable. As a Demo main in TF2 I miss those days.

was chasing a 10% hp mercy through the little gazebo in dorado. she got full helaed by ana as we circled the gazebo in seconds

good. fuck grandma.
KTOjEXD.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
winning streak for like 6 games on placements then 3 losses in a row at the end. same placement as last season.

should probably take a break after that many losses

MartyStu

almost like a healer is supposed ot get countered by flankers and she shouldn't have been able to solo them in the first place

Right. But lets look at the her competition:

Mercy - Glide away to safety
Lucio - Boop/Wallride/Self Heal/Speed Boost/Small hitbox/Ult (lol)
Zenyatta - Shields + Discord + DPS/Ult(Why you wasting your Ult bro?)
Ana - 50HP Grenade + Sleepdart

With this nerf, she cannot adequate defend herself at all. If she misses that one skill shot she is done. Mercy may actually have a better time against flankers now.

The grenade nerf was good and long overdue. The deserved rifle nerf should have been more nuanced.

BigDug13

Personally, I'm opposed to all balance changes on console that deviate from PC. I'd like the game to be consistent across all platforms. I understand some characters feel weaker this way, but I've seen enough convincing Widows to the point where I think it's overblown. Ana's shots are also pretty forgiving when targeting teammates. I have absolutely terrible aim and usually I can get at least 60-65% unscoped accuracy.

60-65% accuracy in ability to heal is awful. One thing a healer needs is consistency. Ana requires great mouse skills to be a consistent enough healer and you don't get that on console without buying $150 worth of cheater equipment so you can play with a mouse.

Right. But lets look at the her competition:

Mercy - Glide away to safety
Lucio - Boop/Wallride/Self Heal/Speed Boost/Small hitbox/Ult (lol)
Zenyatta - Shields/Discord + DPS/Ult(Why you wasting your Ult bro?)
Ana - Sleepdart

With this nerf, she cannot adequate defend herself at all. If she misses that one skill shot she is done. Mercy may actually have a better time against flankers now.

The grenade nerf was good and long overdue. The rifle nerf should have been more nuanced.

The grenade needs to heal her for 100. Its the only thing that keeps her alive.

Also disagree on Zenyatta's ability to escape. He has none. His only escape is to outdamage and kill his attacker.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lucios self heal is less of a thing than anas damage with the nerf. hes still easily killable with speed boost if its not amped up.

the perfect example is the zen thing. you dive on zen, he kills you or you kill him. you dive on ana, she completely fucks up cant hit any of her shots oh wait she has a doover button, nades herself, gg ez. if you fail to kill lucio, he just runs away, if you fail to kill mercy, she just runs away, if you fail to kill ana, she kills you and shes got a huge window to do it

not to mention if you try to run, she has scoped hitscan which is a lot harder for tracer or genji to juke than the other healers weapons who are projectile only

Owzers

I'd be happier if I weren't sick these last few days, Mercy res me!

I was thinking of playing Ana more since orisa is a big target but nope!

antitrop

I actually like having Symmetra on my team in KOTH now, it almost always works.

We won a Zen, Ana, Sym game on Nepal yesterday. There were 4 support mains on the team, so I played Roadhog and we 3-0'd.

MartyStu

60-65% accuracy in ability to heal is awful. One thing a healer needs is consistency. Ana requires great mouse skills to be a consistent enough healer and you don't get that on console without buying $150 worth of cheater equipment so you can play with a mouse.

The grenade needs to heal her for 100. Its the only thing that keeps her alive.

Also disagree on Zenyatta's ability to escape. He has none. His only escape is to outdamage and kill his attacker.

Right, I am arguing that Ana be tuned to have that as a realistic option for flankers, but not be able to actually provide useful DPS during a push.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still think the change for Ana's nade should have been like Lucio's synth

either you heal boost or you debuff. not both.

Those maps are great because there's so many hiding spots on your side of the map for your shield generator that still reaches the objective.

Also who's going to look for a shield generator that isn't on the objective?

Kappa

But yeah, if you get Battle Symm on the point, it's gonna be a fun time.

LiK

I actually like having Symmetra on my team in KOTH now, it almost always works.

We won a Zen, Ana, Sym game on Nepal yesterday. There were 4 support mains on the team, so I played Roadhog and we 3-0'd.

Symm is my go to for Hanamura defense now. In both Comp and QP I have my strat down. No one can get in as long as I have a competant team. It's like easy mode. ^^

Ambient80

Detecting critical teammates? Why?

Sombra detects critically injured enemies through walls. It's invaluable if you have a coordinated team. "Hey guys, [enemy] is at 25% heading up the ramp to grab a health pack, pick him off!" A good Tracer hears that and takes them out quick, or at least distracts them until more help arrives.

Nazo

If we're talking about Reaper changes I think his wraith form might need a slight boost to movement speed just to help him get out of dodge a bit easier considering how fast paced matches are these days. I can't say that doing anything else to it would be a good idea.

Also, just get rid of his teleport. Its objectively useless. As a Reaper main I can safely say that some of my best matches I've ever had I never used the teleport not even once. Its far too obviously telegraphed to be of any use as a flanking tool. Not to mention, its incredibly finicky to use, as its control the weird little teleport cursor ring is horribly imprecise. At least that's what I'v found to be the case on console. I can't speak for PC. He needs something that can better get around the map that doesn't take ages to use but is still somewhat telegraphed enough to at least be punished for poor use.

I'd like to see his teleport to act like it does now but a lot faster in its animation speed. But it would be a lot more quiet, with his voice line not sound like its being shouted from the heavens. The trade off being that in the direction that he'd teleport a visible trail of black smoke/mist would lead to his destination and would linger for a short time. Allowing enemies to gauge where a reaper might be to pursue him without completely screwing over Reaper as he'll have some time to widen his distance from where his teleport landed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom