• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

Rad-

What, people are already getting their 800 points? Come on MS, give it to me too so I can buy this.

fisheyes

Just played it and had a couple of quick games. Oh my god, this is soooo good. Running through a pack a ghosts is so satisfying.

dejay

Banned
Just had three quick goes before bed. I could have played a bit more but it's almost midnight, I didn't get much sleep last night and I know if I play more games the adrenaline will keep me up much, much longer :D

Not sure about the bombs and slowdowns yet, but I've yet to work out the tactics behind the scoring and the ramifications of using the bombs so I'll see tomorrow. Love the style choices - I loved the sprites in CE, but after just playing the jelly style Paccy and ghosts there is no going back!

xbhaskarx

Holy shit this is sooo good, it will definitely make some people's GOTY lists.
I had no idea there would be so many options, it's almost overwhelming.

It's very different from CE, it definitely doesn't feel like a mere add on. With the bombs and time slowing down when you're about to die, it's a lot more about getting a high score than merely surviving, so the two games occupy different space in terms of what they're trying to do. I really like CE and so far I think this is better.

Munching down a long row of ghosts is one of the most satisfying feelings I've had in a game for months. Even getting trapped by ghosts and dying is fun.

If you're reading this, go try it out ASAP. GO GO GO

baylon452

Neo Member
Just played the trial game....so good. Will be purchasing the full game when i get round to finishin off some older arcade games Iv bought. Loved the speed when you start racking up ghost kills

Haven't got my 800 points back from Microsoft yet!

Downloading the trial now. Can't wait, I loved CE, if this had been 1200 points, I'd probably still have paid it, and I hate 1200 point games.

I was hoping for some kind of multiplayer, but oh well, maybe for the 35th anniversary.

I played and loved pac man when it was new as a kid and had good times with CE and whilst this is cool, the excitement levels seem a bit over the top.

so glad this is 800 points. I've had 950 points in my account forever. time to get this and an indie game. Was saving the points for New Vegas DLC, but I can't resist pac-man.

xbhaskarx

Dead Man Typing said:
I was hoping for some kind of multiplayer, but oh well, maybe for the 35th anniversary.

Yeah the next version needs multiplayer and Geometry Wars 2 / Trials HD style leaderboards.

RedSwirl

Can you still play OG Pac-Man in this? Also, what about that old Atari-style stick someone made for the 360 a while ago?

I ask because my mom would go crazy if I showed her this, but she only likes to play Pac old-style - with a real stick.

Falt

Queued!

This is a no brainer. Pac-Man CE is easily one of my favourite arcade titles of all time. I've heard very little and only watched the trailer so I'm going in sort of blind, much like I was with CE. Still, I know it won't disappoint, it can't!

Updated PSN release date and added a couple of questions GAFers have posted.

fubarduck said:
Just wanted to point out to the OP that TE sticks are 8-way by default, but you can change it to 4-way for games like Pac-man with a simple change on the gate (all Sanwa joysticks have this capability):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLXRD-0GBg

Gives 4-way arcade style games the precision you need.

I do realize that - just been too lazy to make even this simple mod. Might have to finally give it a go.

If there is one problem, it is that that the game is a very easy 200/200

iaUfk.jpg

I'm already done :/

Still, I guess the leaderboards will keep things interesting in the long run.

Gowans

Got the change to play two game modes quickly on my lunch.

MAN! it's awesome, so many game modes, maps and visualisation options, it seems jam packed with features.

Loved every second of it, the little changes, chaining and slow down near misses are just great.

Can't wait to get some score battles going.

Keyser Soze said:

First game was a way easy 200 as well.

Namco arcade games tend to be easy 200s...I don't mind one bit.

Shurs

Leonsito said:
Never played CE, If I buy this I'm not missing anything right?

Well, with a storyline-driven game such as this, it probably wont make much sense without playing CE first.

You can get all of the achievements off of one mode(already got my 200/200).
Course there's 8 other modes not to mention each of them features things like time-attacks, ghost-combos, additional trials, and so on.

Aside from leaderboards every little mode has a rank. So there's S-ranking everything on top of everything else.

bryehn

Yup, best game I've played in a while. Tons of modes and challenges. Super intense at times too, love the slowdown/bomb mechanic.

Keyser Soze said:

too bad, that dropped my excitement for this game quite a bit now.

XTERC

Has anyone played this with a joystick with locked out diagonals? I found this was the only way I could play Pacman in Namco Museum.

jiggles

Banned
Actually, does anyone know if the PS3 version has the PSN Holy Trinity (
Youtube uploading, XMB Screenshots, Custom Soundtracks
)? I might double dip, considering the 360 version didn't cost me anything.

Cartman86

Banned
No one on my friends list has it yet, so maybe there it will show up later, but does this have the Geometry Wars 2 style friends leaderboard that appears in convenient places? AKA in the corner of the screen while playing or on the main menu of the mode you are selecting? Instead of in a separate leaderboard screen? It seems like it has this for overall ranking, but not specific friends.

fernoca

Got this, since I was planning on getting the original Championship Edition one of this days. For some reason I thought that DX was planned for next year. :p

So far, I think is my favorite Pac-man game. It combines everything I like about the franchise and even some customization* (i.e. chaging the sprites/background/music) too. :D

*Don't know if that was in the previous game. :p

_dementia said:
Sure there is. Sales.
Why aren't more XBLA titles doing it then?
From the substantial amount I've played I haven't seen a big increase (if an increase at all) in the easy of which they give out the 200 GS.

Edit: Not that I think you're wrong. It was that or laziness/apathy.

The original game didn't exactly light up sales charts, so I figured BanNam though easing up the achievements would at least entice achievement whores.

VOOT isn't exactly a mainstream game, and despite its $15 price point, it debuted at #1 on the XBLA sales list, possibly due to it having the easiest achievements ever.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Since nobody on my friends list is likely to buy this and I like to have a leader board for a challenge, feel free to add me. My gamertag is DrManhattan89

The achievements may not be as easy to get as you think. I'm guessing those who have already got them all are people who spent a fair amount of time with CE. IIRC, it took me 2-3 weeks of daily play to get them all because I had to truly learn the system. If you're a brand new player, it will probably be a decent challenge, but certainly not nails hard.

Cartman86

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
The achievements may not be as easy to get as you think. I'm guessing those who have already got them all are people who spent a fair amount of time with CE. IIRC, it took me 2-3 weeks of daily play to get them all because I had to truly learn the system. If you're a brand new player, it will probably be a decent challenge, but certainly not nails hard.

I never got all the ones in CE. One of them was just too hard for me. I got em all in under two hours in this one.

Top Bottom