• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

WaltJay

"It's like taking a great white shark and adding laser beam eyes and saw blades that shoot out of its mouth."
-IGN.com

Box quote of the year, if XBLA games had boxes? :lol

I loved CE, so I'll give this a go.

SpacLock

Never played the first Pacman: CE, but I'm ready to pick this up and start destroying all of you chumps on the leaderboards.

Let me dream.

Owensboro

Good lord, I can't wait to get PSN cards out the wazoo for christmas. There are so many digitally distributed games I want to buy, as well as DLC pieces for games I already own. I can't wait to get this and show my Ms. Pac-Man addicted sister. I guarantee she has never heard of it.

Slightly OT question. Does MS send you an email or anything to confirm that 800 point refund, or do the points just show up. Haven't got mine as of last night and I'm just 30 damn points shy of 800. I need to know if I need to get a points card right after work.

Guess I could always buy online.

Princess Skittles said:
CE/DX are made for the analog stick.

It doesn't make a lick of sense and you probably won't be convinced until you actually play it for yourself, but dpads and sticks don't control as silky as the analog does.

^
This

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game is perfection. Every addition to CE just works. I'm not that great at Pac-Man, but the slow-mo and bombs let me hang on to life much longer. And the ghost trains... pure bliss. That alone would be enough to justify this new edition, but the extra stages (10 right? talk about content) make sure that this is insane value for 800 pts.

WaltJay

RadarScope1 said:
Slightly OT question. Does MS send you an email or anything to confirm that 800 point refund, or do the points just show up. Haven't got mine as of last night and I'm just 30 damn points shy of 800. I need to know if I need to get a points card right after work.

Guess I could always buy online.

I think in all instances except one, they didn't send any emails or PMs. The points just showed up. For the promo from last month (buy 2400, get 800), the points just appeared. I got my 800 a couple days ago.

Also, MS does sell points in 400 point increments, so if just need 30 points, you can buy 400 online for $5, rather than buying a 1600 point card for $20.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ghost combo soooo awesome on highway. I played for like 6 minutes without eating one. Then lit it up.
This game is sooo ridiculous.

WEGGLES

Easy 200/200, which is good. I'd hate to be distracted trying to do dumb stuff like eat ghosts in a proper ROYGBIV order or something :lol

Just get the achievements out of the way, then worry about high score.

Red

God damn it I keep missing the tunnels at the borders of the screen on x50 speed.

I keep thinking I made it, and then die, trapped in a corner by a million ghosts.

WEGGLES

lemon__fresh said:
Or just stop caring about achievements... Oh wait! Blasphemy!
Is an achievment not the same as a high score in a way?

Having 200/200 in the game is just as meaningful as a high score...

Naw there is a hard-cap on ghost-trains. You'll start to notice some probable-adds get knocked away if you pay close attention. It's better this way as it keeps things balanced. Plus having an infinite-train would screw up the level design and players would be running into their trains before-long(plus ghost-combo would just be dumb).

I really didn't give enough credit to the way leaderboards/rank is handled in my review. Just when you think you're done playing and you're backing out of the menus you'll discover that you dropped some spots on one of the other mazes or modes so you gotta jump back in. There's also a huge cumulative leaderboard that accounts for total scores/times on all possible modes and I managed to hit 10th place. I don't expect it to last but its such a neat inclusion cause when I go back I'm going to check on all of the possible areas where I know I can improve on.

DX is an absolute masterpiece.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There is definitely a limit to the ghost train, I tried to keep adding ghosts in the ghost combo mode and the ghosts would just bounce off screen...

For a brief moment last night/this morning, after playing for 2 out of the 2.5 hours it'd been up on the marketplace, I was the #1 Pac-Man player in the world.

It felt good, and all was right in the world.

As soon as I turn it on again, though, that memory will slip into the ether, to be replaced by the mediocrity with which I'm all too familiar.

WEGGLES said:
Either way both are 'meaningless' numbers applied to a game.

I guess, but it's kind of hard to have a competition/leaderboard based on a game's achievement count when there's a limit to how high you can score.

For the most part you are simply competing with yourself and there's really nothing wrong with that either. Some sites (giantbomb) attempt to create some achievement "competition" but again there still are limits.

The rules for what defines an achievement are also rather fluid which makes it even less viable... Having a bigger number beside our names will forever drive us no matter how we actually earn it.

Is everyone playing on Expert? I figured the ghost AI would be smarter but I guess it's just fewer bombs and lives available and higher game speed?

SuperPac

Gowans007 said:
The friends leaderboard doesn't show your score :(

Yeah that is the weirdest design decision ever. The friends leaderboard is JUST your friends. Someone took that a little too literally. Hopefully Namco fixes that.......

WEGGLES

Gary Whitta said:
Is everyone playing on Expert? I figured the ghost AI would be smarter but I guess it's just fewer bombs and lives available and higher game speed?
I think the difficulty is starting lives/bombs/speed.

Easy is unbearable.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've never ran out of lives/bombs...it almost seems like a non-issue. Doesnt beginner start you off at a slower speed?

Gowans

SuperPac said:
Yeah that is the weirdest design decision ever. The friends leaderboard is JUST your friends. Someone took that a little too literally. Hopefully Namco fixes that.......
Yeah, looks like something lost in translation.

It's a annoyance at mist but if theres a patch it would be nice.

WEGGLES

Wario64 said:
I've never ran out of lives/bombs...it almost seems like a non-issue. Doesnt beginner start you off at a slower speed?
Easy is 1, Medium is 10, Expert is 20. It shows at the bottom when you select difficulty.

SpacLock

Whoa, I'm ranked #22 on Highway. I didn't think I was doing that great, but my name is Fine Wine Vine on the leaderboard if anyone wants to check it out.

WEGGLES

Gary Whitta said:
I love that little slowdown effect right before you run into a ghost, but wouldn't pros consider that ez mode?
It's kind of annoying when you're going for a time trial record and it slows you down even tho you wont hit. And while it's slow the clock runs in real time still.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
#1 on Junction, and by a nice margin too (+200k)! I'm sure it won't last, though.

DSC01243.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
I love that little slowdown effect right before you run into a ghost, but wouldn't pros consider that ez mode?
The clock still moves at normal speed during it, so if you're doing it a lot it's gonna sabotage your ability to hang with the highest scores. Ditto for bombs, they halve your multiplier and put your speed down. The risk/reward system is tuned really well in this.

SpacLock

Shig said:
#1 on Junction, and by a nice margin too (+200k)! I'm sure it won't last, though.

DSC01243.jpg

The clock still moves at normal speed during it, so if you're doing it a lot it's gonna sabotage your ability to hang with the highest scores. Ditto for bombs, they halve your multiplier and put your speed down. The risk/reward system is tuned really well in this.

Just watched your replay. Quite a few close calls in there, excellent work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow, highway is pretty fun....I just realized I havent even bothered playing any other boards besides the first one, haha. ..I got #2 ranking on highway on the first try

pj

Banned
I think I'm plateaued at 1.55 million on Championship II for now. This is the best game I've played in a while.

mollipen

WEGGLES said:
Either way both are 'meaningless' numbers applied to a game.

I apologize if I'm reading this totally wrong, but are you saying that high scores were meaningless in a game like Pac-Man CE?

Top Bottom