• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

RadarScope1 said:
The achievements may not be as easy to get as you think. I'm guessing those who have already got them all are people who spent a fair amount of time with CE. IIRC, it took me 2-3 weeks of daily play to get them all because I had to truly learn the system. If you're a brand new player, it will probably be a decent challenge, but certainly not nails hard.

Never played CE. Got them in an hour.

The game is pretty great. Got up to 34th on the first maze.

Daigoro

this game is fucking awesome.

im glad the achievements are so easy. i can get them done quick, never bother thinking about them again, and get back to playing purely for fun.

never bought CE so my mind is pretty blown right now.

awesome.

There's still S-ranking every mode. No achievements sure but there's that. Plus whenever you start the game up it shows your overall rank. So the first thing you see is "Oh shit! I'm getting my ass kicked by XXX number of people!"

What's really going to be insane is when people start to figure out how to ghost-combo entire games(if they haven't already). Seriously. Think of all the the power-pellet holding ghosts hanging out just outside of the dot-paths. Truly phenomenal players will be able to carry those guys all the way through a game. It'd be quite the challenge considering the near-death bullet-time doesn't trigger when..well..Pac-man isn't near death. Then again I could be wrong. I'm sure its very possible.

WEGGLES

Damnit.

I missed an easy achievment.

Play the 5min thing with out a bomb. Didn't need it. But decided to try the bomb out. I'll get it eventually.

Another thing about the letter-ranks. Apparently they're tied to your place in the leaderboard. So what might be an S-rank today could be a B-rank tomorrow...and so on and so forth.

Added another 400k to my score in championship 2 mode. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
THIS GAME IS FUCKING PERFECTION. HOLY SHIT.

Already tearing up the leaderboards in this shit

iJvyd.jpg

OH and you can watch other people's replays! You can even watch my replay if you want :D

SuperPac

Game is amazing. They really outdid themselves. The ghost-train idea is killer and soooo satisfying when you have a huge line built up.

The one drawback is wow the standard 360 pad is awful for playing this game. I need to bust out my arcade stick tonight.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's so many modes, like 10-15 modes for each board and there's about 8 boards. Bullet time and bombs gives you a lot of outs to avoid dying if you're not good at Pac-Man. It's very possible to play without even dying now. So many modes too in terms of visuals and music. The music from the original CE is in there, awesome to that. Seriously, there's so many damn modes in this game that just makes it awesome.

Plus the leaderboard shit is awesome, it tells you when your rank goes up or down. And you can see your rankings across all modes like the pic I just posted. SO FUCKING AWESOME. BUY THIS GAME

SuperPac said:
Game is amazing. They really outdid themselves. The ghost-train idea is killer and soooo satisfying when you have a huge line built up.

The one drawback is wow the standard 360 pad is awful for playing this game. I need to bust out my arcade stick tonight.

Are you using the analog stick? Cause if you aren't then you should be.

Yes Boss!

lemon__fresh said:
Are you using the analog stick? Cause if you aren't then you should be.
quoted for truth!

I'm gonna get this one on PSN as well. Curious what it feels like with the Dualshock 3!

Yeah game rocks the analog stick like nobody's business.
Which is great for me because I don't have to lug out the arcade stick.

I was ranked #12 in the world when I quit a minute ago...I don't think it's gonna last. =(

It's incredible how well-designed the mazes are. They're totally developed to be in-tune with the behaviors of each ghost. You can for the most part tune the wandering bad-guys out while you work the dots and ghost-train. It's like spending an entire game "in the zone".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DMPrince said:
There are analog sticks on the 360 controller you know. works damn well too.
There are also arcade sticks, which is the control device the game was originally intended to be played on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't fathom using an analog stick. When I played Pac Man CE, I still used d-pad even though it was shitty. Now I'm using the Rock Band Portable Drum Kit Controller and it works awesome. No controller mistakes at all yet.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I was ranked #12 in the world when I quit a minute ago...I don't think it's gonna last. =(

You're #47 now...watching your replay :)

Always gotta have an argument about something eh?

My big weakness right now is ghost comboing. I suck at it. Worse I try to ghost-combo even when it's not really a good idea. I end up missing dots, going in circles, and just being totally inefficient.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
VAIL said:
So bought....on PSN sorry shitty 360 pad.
SapientWolf said:
There are also arcade sticks, which is the control device the game was originally intended to be played on.
CE/DX are made for the analog stick.

It doesn't make a lick of sense and you probably won't be convinced until you actually play it for yourself, but dpads and sticks don't control as silky as the analog does.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess I should start a Pac-Man CE D-pad defense force. Seriously..analog stick what da fock...

Do you analog stick users even care about the emitting sparks trick?

Sanjuro

Wario64 said:
I guess I should start a Pac-Man CE D-pad defense force. Seriously..analog stick what da fock...

Yes. It allows you to round the corners quicker. Fractions of a second? Sure. It helped me when I was going for my high score in the original CE.

The d-pad on the new controller is much better, but I prefer the analog stick still (which is also better with the new concave design).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
Yeah, it's really easy to do with the stick.
I like the stick.

Game is amazing, played for like 20 minutes and got 7 achievements. But FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck the ghost train is so good, I was laughing so loudly the first time I did it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just improved my ranking to #23. I really hate having to resort to bombs when I need to...

Hah, looks like one of the top players in CE is #1 on DX right now. Sheesh. 1.8 mil broken

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wario64 said:

Using the analog I can get up to 400k on the original Championship Edition.

Using the Rock Band dpad or my Hori stick, I can barely clear the time limit.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wario64 said:
Just improved my ranking to #23. I really hate having to resort to bombs when I need to...

Hah, looks like one of the top players in CE is #1 on DX right now. Sheesh. 1.8 mil broken
I'm not far from it. Was at #6 when I stopped, around 1.75m.

That dimahoo guy was all over the top leaderoards on Galaga Legions, too.

DMPrince said:
the visuals. they appear to have different amount of ghost. which one provides me the most ghost for my ho train?
Dunno what you're saying here but there is a cap on the number of ghosts that can ride the train.

Shig said:
That dimahoo guy was all over the top leaderoards on Galaga Legions, too.

I wouldn't fuck with anyone who named themselves after Dimahoo.

Just played the trial and sat my ass down to add points from xbox.com. This game is fucking amazing, all the new additions are fantastic. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is the ghost train limit only for the score attack modes? What is the limit?

That's kinda odd that there's even one

Loved the first one got 200/200 achievements on it so buying this was no a brainer. Got it right before I went to work this morning. Didn't have a chance to play but will when I get home!

acm2000

i dont think there is a limit, you get rogue ghosts which dont train like the others, but you can still add more choochoo to your train

Top Bottom