• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter's August NPD Preview BIOSHOCKED = 600k ( Wii 420k, 360 240k, PS3 150k)

Many thanks to Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter, NPD results are due next Thursday

Prediction thread is here

Entertainment Software: August 2007 Video Game Sales Preview: Expect +12% Sales Growth

We expect August U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after market close on Thursday, September 13. We forecast sales of $445 million, +12% compared to last year's $399 million.

Our estimate reflects $310 million in sales contribution from new platforms (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP and DS) and current generation software sales of $135 million.

We estimate sell-through of 420,000 Wii, 240,000 Xbox 360, and 150,000 PS3 hardware systems.

Our forecast assumes PS2 software sales of $107 million, down 31% compared to last year and much weaker than the last three month's average of -20%, but consistent with our full year projection.

Sales growth over the last 12 months was a robust 16%, with last month up 11%. However, we expect more modest sales gains through the summer, as comparisons got tougher in June and remain tough until the holidays.

We continue to expect contribution from next generation software sales to grow on a year-over-year basis throughout 2007, more than offsetting modest declines in current generation software sales.

We expect major share price appreciation for the major video game publishers by the end of the year as investors gain confidence that the next generation console cycle is in full swing, and recommend that investors accumulate Activision, Electronic Arts, GameStop, THQ, and Ubisoft shares at current levels.

For August, we expect the following revenue results:

· Activision -- $65 million, +254% y-o-y.
· Atari -- $2 million, -55% y-o-y.
· Electronic Arts -- $135 million, -11% y-o-y.
· Majesco -- $3 million, +11% y-o-y.
· Midway -- $3 million, -49% y-o-y.
· Take-Two -- $60 million, +221% y-o-y.
· THQ -- $23 million, -5% y-o-y.
· Ubisoft -- $22 million, +90% y-o-y.

We expect August sales to be driven by new releases Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 08 (PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, GC, DS, PSP, PC, Wii), Nintendo’s Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii), and Take-Two’s Bioshock (360, PC) along with continued sales of Activision’s Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's Exp and Guitar Hero 2, Electronic Arts’ NCAA Football 08, and Nintendo’s Wii Play. We expect Xbox 360 hardware and software sales to increase over prior months due to the Xbox 360 price cuts.

Specific SW:

Madden 1.9M
Bioshock 600k
NCAA 300k
Guitar Hero Encore 300k
Boogie 150k
Stuntman + Moto GP 100k (combined)

Our views for console hardware sales are as follows:
Wii 420,000
PS3 150,000
Xbox 360 240,000
PS2 225,000
PSP 210,000
DS 400,000
GBA 75,000

PS2 software sales declines have moderated over the past three months, given the phenomenal lineup of massmarket games released in May and June (-19% in May, -21% in June, -22% in July). The degree of PS2 software sales declines in the second half of the year will depend upon next generation console sales, as most next generation consoles are likely replacements for current generation consoles. As total next generation hardware sales increase, we expect a corresponding decrease in PS2 software sales, and we have modeled a decline to -31% in August.

Sounds about right. I actually don't think Wii will go that high this month(minor difference) but I think 20k less.

PS3 needs to do something. The numbers aren't "that bad" for the situation it's in but it should at least be breaking 200k a month.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
radjago said:
4 weeks or 5 this month?

4 weeks.

I personally am more excited about software. The Madden comparisons, Bioshock/MP3.

sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter, NPD results are due next Thursday

Prediction thread is here

Thanks Sonycowboy. As alway, Pachter will be wrong. Just I hope he will be not SO wrong. Well, the point at the end is that Wii >> X360 > PS3.

Anyway, I'm interested in Bioshock and Metroid Prime III Corruption's performances.

schuelma

Am I the only one who feels like his predictions have gotten a hell of a lot more reasonable since GAF came to his attention?

Odysseus

Banned
pachter's predictions are in before mine? now i feel tainted. they won't be, but they'll feel like it.

*kicks tieno*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
P putting his money where his mouth is and GAF hating on him.

I guess it's that time of the month again. Watch and learn how the pros do it, GAF.

CrushDance said:
PS3 needs to do something. The numbers aren't "that bad" for the situation it's in but it should at least be breaking 200k a month.

It's bad that both other systems keep increasing their LTD lead over the PS3 every month. This is not how this generation was supposed to play out (find me anybody at Sony, the industry, or this forum who predicted it before the Sony launch announcement). The only real hope for PS3 at this point to get out of last place is for this 'very long generation' thing to happen, but that's not something they control.

schuelma

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's bad that both other systems keep increasing their LTD lead over the PS3 every month. This is not how this generation was supposed to play out (find me anybody at Sony, the industry, or this forum who predicted it before the Sony launch announcement). The only real hope for PS3 at this point to get out of last place is for this 'very long generation' thing to happen, but that's not something they control.

It's part of Sony's plan stupid.

stressboy

Where the heck are all these Wii's being found at? I have only seen 1 since launch.

Then again I really have not tried looking for any either.

I am trying to imagine in which month the PS3 might actually outsell the 360 next. I am thinking when MGS 4 comes out, around June of next year (I don't think it is going to be a Spring release)?

stressboy said:
Where the heck are all these Wii's being found at? I have only seen 1 since launch.

The Question for me is who buys them. Just hope that Metroid will perform well, because it deserves it a lot more then Mario party 8.

sankao

schuelma said:
Am I the only one who feels like his predictions have gotten a hell of a lot more reasonable since GAF came to his attention?

He did predict 115k for the X360 last month, which was kinda extreme.

Odysseus

Banned
Maxwell House said:
I am trying to imagine in which month the PS3 might actually outsell the 360 next. I am thinking when MGS 4 comes out, around June of next year (I don't think it is going to be a Spring release)?

the next time the price drops. spring, right wollan?

FrankT

stressboy said:

I saw 3 or 4 at my local Wal-Mart a week or two ago. I've only ever seen 1 their, pretty shocked. But then again I have no urge to buy one so it's all good. I would say those are all but gone now I'm sure.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
stressboy said:

Believe it or not, I was over in a Best Buy in Riverside, CA and there was a stock of like 20 Wii's yesterday. I was debating with myself trying to decide if I would buy one now or later, by the time I decided to buy a Wii it was sold out.

Damn, it only took like 30 minutes for it to get snatched up. Before you say anything, yes, it took me 30 minutes to realize that I should buy a Wii before Smash Bros. comes out.

Maxwell House said:

I'd give the best odds to Metal Gear or a 'full' Gran Turismo game, but I also think there's a chance that in North America it's just not ever going to happen, period.

If GTA had gotten a timed exclusive deal from Sony that would have guaranteed multiple consecutive months of outselling the 360, IMO.

Odysseus said:
the next time the price drops. spring, right wollan?

Just like the last time the price dropped. :lol

PS3 is always going to be the most expensive this generation, they can't make the kind of price drop that will put them on top.

traveler

Not Wario
I don't usually give a crap about sales threads, but I really am interested in seeing how Bioshock fared this time around.

Mrbob

What happened to double the sales for X360?

240K after a price drop and Madden isn't that big of a jump.

Arde5643

beermonkey@tehbias said:

schuelma said:
It's part of Sony's plan stupid.

Yup, they're hoping that by the time Nintendo or MS release their next console iteration, the PS3 will finally be able to step into the race of the last gen consoles.

With luck and good marketing, in another 10 years after Nintendo and MS release the next consoles, PS3 will be able to beat Wii's LTD worldwide.

Here's a thumbs up for Sony's brilliant long-term plan.

Frillen

swander said:
seriously who the fuck is still buying wiis

Apperantly a lot.

Anyway, MP3:C was only out for 5 days during the August NPD, so don't expect anything earth shattering. It should at least do over 250k though.

FrankT

Mrbob said:

Which could be exactly one of the reasons why he is wrong, just maybe. Kind of like 115k for last month eh.

Odysseus

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Just like the last time the price dropped. :lol

PS3 is always going to be the most expensive this generation, they can't make the kind of price drop that will put them on top.

i should have said the next best chance. it got close last time, but close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, nuclear warheads, and a few other things i won't take the time to mention right now.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Arde5643 said:
With luck and good marketing, in another 10 years after Nintendo and MS release the next consoles, PS3 will be able to beat Wii's LTD worldwide.

Here's a thumbs up for Sony's brilliant long-term plan.

:lol

Joke post, right?

sankao

Mrbob said:

Was last month 4 or 5 weeks ?
If it was 5 weeks, then that would mean a 76% jump.
If it was 4 weeks, then that would mean a 41% jump.

Odysseus

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Which could be exactly one of the reasons why he is wrong, just maybe. Kind of like 115k for last month eh.

but he doubled his prediction from last month. it all fits.

and when he's off, obi-wan's failure will be complete.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
beermonkey@tehbias said:

look at it this way.

the PS3 can drop 250 dollars, still sell for 250.

the wii wouldn't be able to drop 250 dollars ;)

Top Bottom