• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter's August NPD Preview BIOSHOCKED = 600k ( Wii 420k, 360 240k, PS3 150k)

Odysseus

Banned
davepoobond said:
look at it this way.

the PS3 can drop 250 dollars, still sell for 250.

the wii wouldn't be able to drop 250 dollars ;)

"1up: wii free after instant & mail-in rebates, sponsored by depends undergarments and ensure."

Mrbob

600K for Bioshock is combined 360/PC sales.

Too bad we never get PC numbers.

Can we get PC top 10 with numbers in future NPD threads?

C4Lukins

He is probably pretty close with the Wii and PS3, but I bet the 360 sells closer to 300k. I can imagine someone unfamiliar with video games reading over what I just typed and thinking it was some sort of cyber Nazi spy language on the interwebs.

FrankT

Mrbob said:

Why would it be combined 360/PC numbers? I doubt he includes PC numbers on this prediction. Does he ever give PC numbers for NPD console estimates like this?

Mrbob said:

No, it's not. It's for 360 sales only.

How are you an authority??? ;)

Saitou

Banned
Lack of Corruption predictions makes me think Patcher wised up and opted to shut his trap for once.

Also, YOU WA BIOSHOCKº

swander

it's just amazing that now that the daytime tv features on 'this hot new waggle console' have dried up it's still selling gangbusters. imagine the december numbers it's going to post.

Har har, Metroid 400 million thousand. Like I said, I've got my crow ready to eat if I'm wrong. The day Metroid breaks 400k is the day I eat that crow and forever shut up about "teh casuals".

4mvbx9x.gif

Bring it on!

Saitou said:
Lack of Corruption predictions makes me think Patcher wised up and opted to shut his trap for once.

Also, YOU WA BIOSHOCKº

He doesn't provide predictions for non-US publishers, 99% of the time. He covers the publisher stocks and that's the audience for his research notes.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
No, it's not. It's for 360 sales only.

How are you an authority??? ;)

It is? The wording is confusing then.

His statement says this:

We expect August sales to be driven by new releases Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 08 (PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, GC, DS, PSP, PC, Wii), Nintendo’s Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii), and Take-Two’s Bioshock (360, PC)

Specifically lists all the platforms in his statment.

For his software prediction puts the combined total for madden sold in august (1.9 million), so I figured the rest were the same.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
CrushDance said:
Har har, Metroid 400 million thousand. Like I said, I've got my crow ready to eat if I'm wrong. The day Metroid breaks 400k is the day I eat that crow and forever shut up about "teh casuals".

Bring it on!

So you are implying that it could never have LTD sales of 400k, bold statement.

Jirotrom

CrushDance said:

4mvbx9x.gif

Bring it on!
really... metroid "was" selling pretty damn well at my store.

Hcoregamer00 said:
So you are implying that it could never have LTD sales of 400k, bold statement.
I meant on NPD day -_-

I say bring it on! Only one of us can win! And it'll be me, no way Metroid is doing past 400k this NPD. I'm seasoning my crow right now, I'll marinate it in water to make it extra vile.

Ikael

Now that we are at it, when was Metroid prime released? I think that it will probably sell less than bioshock due to the shorter time it has been out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not sure what kind of numbers everyone expects to see from MP3 on this NPD. It would only track sales for 4 days.

Mrbob

siamesedreamer said:
Honestly, I think 600K would be pretty disappointing for it.

Really?

600K for a first month 3rd party new IP? Sounds like the birth of a new hit franchise to me! ;)

Gigglepoo

Good month all around. I have no problem with the Wii killing the competition if Sony and MS can at least move some significant systems of their own. Everyone should be happy. And Bioshock? On its way to 2 million.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ikael said:
Now that we are at it, when was Metroid prime released? I think that it will probably sell less than bioshock due to the shorter time it has been out.

Prime is also a game aimed for the hardcore gamers, so it would be interesting how games aimed for that audience sells on a system that is aimed towards the casual gamer.

Arde5643

swander said:
it's just amazing that now that the daytime tv features on 'this hot new waggle console' have dried up it's still selling gangbusters. imagine the december numbers it's going to post.
WiiFit will make sure those daytime TV hosts feature it again.

Arde5643

Gigglepoo said:
Good month all around. I have no problem with the Wii killing the competition if Sony and MS can at least move some significant systems of their own. Everyone should be happy. And Bioshock? On its way to 2 million.
No problem with MS since their releases so far have been and will be astounding for the hardcore market - but what does Sony have at this point?

Mrbob

I might be getting ownz0r3d soon with my 220K Bioshock prediction.

Does Pachter have a platform specific breakdown for Madden 08 sales? I would love to see how he came up with his 1.9 million total per platform.

Jtyettis said:
Less than 2 weeks, 600K for the 360 SKU in the US alone? What?

IIRC, Crackdown did around 500k its first month with ok reviews.

I realize that it also had the Halo 3 beta, but Bioshock has had a heavier marketing push and has received fantastic reviews.

I kinda agree with Thermite that the numbers will be closer to 750K.

What do I know though...I'm probably just talking out of my ass. :lol

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Believe it or not, I was over in a Best Buy in Riverside, CA and there was a stock of like 20 Wii's yesterday. I was debating with myself trying to decide if I would buy one now or later, by the time I decided to buy a Wii it was sold out.

Damn, it only took like 30 minutes for it to get snatched up. Before you say anything, yes, it took me 30 minutes to realize that I should buy a Wii before Smash Bros. comes out.
A new Bestbuy is opening in my city, Moreno Valley, CA and as a result we are sucking away inventory from other stores for the grand opening. That includes wii's.

You really should have bought a wii there when you had the chance.

unomas

Banned
Mrbob said:
I might be getting ownz0r3d soon with my 220K Bioshock prediction.

Does Pachter have a platform specific breakdown for Madden 08 sales? I would love to see how he came up with his 1.9 million total per platform.

You be screwed, but I think I lowballed it as well. It should have a good month in September as well, I haven't even purchased it yet. I'm still on the fence I guess because without the multiplayer aspect I don't see many people on my friends list still playing it. Seems like a once or maybe twice playthrough type game.

As far as the 360 numbers, even with Madden and Bioshock the $50 pricecut proves to be a band aid of a pricecut so far. The Bioshock numbers are great for a new 3rd party IP on the platform. It will pass 1 million in the states before the end of the year.

FrankT

Razoric said:
Might? Dude you're fucked. ;p

Well I pretty much told em that when he made the prediction. Funny thing is he coupled that prediction with the PC SKU outselling the 360 SKU in Europe as well, heh. Of course, the UK doesn't equal Europe, but that was one heck of a massive gap in the opposite direction according to Chart-Track.

siamesedreamer said:

I realize that it also had the Halo 3 beta, but Bioshock has had a heavier marketing push and has received fantastic reviews.

Ya never know, it could be higher.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mrbob said:
Really?

600K for a first month 3rd party new IP? Sounds like the birth of a new hit franchise to me! ;)

God, I hope not. Unless you mean the overall "Shock" moniker...but still. Nah.

tanod said:
Lair was September and I'm guessing it sells about 100k.

It sold early at a few stores, as the month ended on Saturday.

I'd expect it to do maybe 10-20k for August as most folks didn't know about it. Maybe even less.

Warhawk will be interesting. It was available for 4 days and a huge chunk will be PSN downloads. I'd be surprised if it was north of 40k for the month.

Gigglepoo

Arde5643 said:
No problem with MS since their releases so far have been and will be astounding for the hardcore market - but what does Sony have at this point?

Potential and rubber duckies.

levious said:
setting the bar at 400k for a week of sales isn't particularly bold.
Really? No game has ever sold 400k in 1 week? :p

That aside, it's more of a poke at the people who were all "lol mmkay omg guys, Metroid sold more then or equal to Bioshock, hahahaha hyuck hycuk!" And many people in that thread believed it.

We'll see anyway.

davepoobond said:
look at it this way.

the PS3 can drop 250 dollars, still sell for 250.

the wii wouldn't be able to drop 250 dollars ;)
It can after they temporarily introduce the $300 "1 gigabyte" SKU. :D

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:

IIRC, only Gears of War had a higher debut than the predicted 600k for Bioshock. Crackdown did have a stellar debut, which was also driven in part by an excellent demo as Bioshock was. Anticipation for both games went off the charts when the demos hit. And of course, Crackdown had the Halo 3 Beta invite included, which was a factor though how much of one is open to debate.

I think 500k is a more reasonable expectation for Bioshock, which until a few weeks before release was expected to be a critical hit and commercially a bit under the radar.

360 sales are hard to predict because of the price cut. I think 240k would be disappointing for Microsoft - that's only a 41% increase from July's 170k. If UK sales are any indication (that 260% first week jump) it should be higher. I'll drop in my prediction later but I'm thinking closer to 300k, helped by Madden as well.

Top Bottom