• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter's August NPD Preview BIOSHOCKED = 600k ( Wii 420k, 360 240k, PS3 150k)

Xisiqomelir

· Activision -- $65 million, +254% y-o-y.
· Atari -- $2 million, -55% y-o-y.
· Electronic Arts -- $135 million, -11% y-o-y.
· Majesco -- $3 million, +11% y-o-y.
· Midway -- $3 million, -49% y-o-y.
· Take-Two -- $60 million, +221% y-o-y.
· THQ -- $23 million, -5% y-o-y.
· Ubisoft -- $22 million, +90% y-o-y.

This is the part he said he should actually be held accountable for on the Bonus Round, right? Does someone have access to historical publisher revenue to score him on this?

Arde5643

CrushDance said:
Really? No game has ever sold 400k in 1 week? :p

That aside, it's more of a poke at the people who were all "lol mmkay omg guys, Metroid sold more then or equal to Bioshock, hahahaha hyuck hycuk!" And many people in that thread believed it.

We'll see anyway.
I have no problem with MP3 selling even or more to Bioshock - it's just troubling how so many people would believe a hearsay rumour that states explicitly that it sold more than Bioshock's second week - not launch day - and then claim that MP3 will be selling more than Bioshock.

The A+B->C path at this point should have never even happened since there's no B to begin with.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Boo, this is like getting water thrown on you after getting kicked in the balls.
^^^
This is how it starts.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so pretty much expect the opposite of what pachter says?

*slowly backs out of wasteland known as sales age*

Arde5643 said:
I have no problem with MP3 selling even or more to Bioshock

Wii is still a couple million behind 360 in NA and has a lot of casuals that have been driving sales. I have a big problem with believing that MP3 would outsell Bioshock at this point in time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Joe Molotov said:
No guesstimation for Metroid Prime 3?

I think Prime is a bit of a wildcard since it was released so late in the month, although I think it'll certainly break the top 10.

I recall a Bonus Round where Patcher was optimistic on its sales due to its controls.

Gigglepoo

ZealousD said:
I think Prime is a bit of a wildcard since it was released so late in the month, although I think it'll certainly break the top 10.

There is no chance it will break the Top 10 if Madden is counted as individual SKUs and not one mammoth entity. Half the list will be Madden games!

unomas

Banned
Looks at Zelda sales.....I think the hardcore fanbase is certainly installed with Wii. Metroid could suffer for a few various reasons, but mostly because of Madden/Tiger Woods possibly being in the same month.

That's why I'm amazed Bioshock did 600kish with Madden, Blue Dragon, Tiger Woods, and Moto GP all releasing in the same month.

MaX_PL

Banned
stressboy said:
Where the heck are all these Wii's being found at? I have only seen 1 since launch.

Then again I really have not tried looking for any either.

my question too. i see more people in the monthly pick up threads posting PS3s or Xbox 360s then i do Wiis. how the F is Wii doubling their sales?

MaX_PL said:
my question too. i see more people in the monthly pick up threads posting PS3s or Xbox 360s then i do Wiis. how the F is Wii doubling their sales?

Lots of people haven't been able to find one, they are still scarce. There is huge pent-up demand that will only increase as xmas approaches.

unomas said:
Looks at Zelda sales.....I think the hardcore fanbase is certainly installed with Wii. Metroid could suffer for a few various reasons, but mostly because of Madden/Tiger Woods possibly being in the same month.

That's why I'm amazed Bioshock did 600kish with Madden, Blue Dragon, Tiger Woods, and Moto GP all releasing in the same month.

Something tells me that people who bought Bioshock aren't typically people who buy yearly Madden.

Also, i'm a firm believer that both Moto GP and Blue Dragon bombed horribly.

C4Lukins

Gigglepoo said:
There is no chance it will break the Top 10 if Madden is counted as individual SKUs and not one mammoth entity. Half the list will be Madden games!

If it sells around 300K, which is what I am expecting, it should still break the top 10.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gigglepoo said:

Madden 360
Madden PS2
Bioshock
Madden PS3
Metroid Prime 3
Madden XBOX
Madden Wii

That's my prediction for this month's releases in order, which is based on the preorder numbers at the GameStop I work at (and timing, we had more preorders for Prime 3 than Madden PS3). That's seven. That still leaves you three slots for the likes of Guitar Hero II, Mario Party 8, Wii Play, and Pokemon. And I have a feeling that not all of those usual suspects will be making it into the Top Ten this month. The PSP and DS versions of Madden don't stand a chance to make it into the Top Ten.

Ezduo

Banned
MaX_PL said:

Judging hardware sales based off the buying habits of GAF? There's your problem right there.

MaX_PL

Banned
Ezduo said:
Judging hardware sales based off the buying habits of GAF? There's your problem right there.

well it is a video game forum you know. i think the buying habits of gamers are a bit more predictable than those of casuals.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Metroid Prime 3 will only count for 4 days won't it? No way it's cracking the top 10 in a Madden month.

First week sales are inordinately high for anticipated releases.

My expectations for sales will be (not including handhelds)

Madden 360
Madden PS2
Bioshock 360
Metroid Prime Wii
Guitar Hero Encore PS2

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Metroid Prime 3 will only count for 4 days won't it? No way it's cracking the top 10 in a Madden month.
Metroid will definitely be in the top 10. Mario Strikers was one spot away from the top 10 on like 2 days of sales, and there seemed to be far less people looking forward to that than there were to Metroid.

It won't beat Bioshock, though.

Ah, BioShock. Totally awesome. A nice hearty plus until everyone whizzes past its monstrous sales to point out how poorly Blue Dragon sold.

(I love you still, Blue Dragon.)

sonycowboy said:
First week sales are inordinately high for anticipated releases.

My expectations for sales will be (not including handhelds)

Madden 360
Madden PS2
Bioshock 360
Metroid Prime Wii
Guitar Hero Encore PS2

I agree, but at the same time this is a pretty stacked month. I can see Guitar Hero, Madden, and Bioshock taking up the top 10 with Prime coming in the early teens.

I'd love to be wrong mind you, but it just doesn't seem feasible to me.

DeaconKnowledge said:

You kidding the Nintendo and Metroid fans got this day 1. Very front loaded title. Look back to 2002 for example. Metroid Prime and Splinter Cell both release in November. Metroid Prime wins and in December Splinter Cell killed Metroid Prime. Question in September is will Metroid Prime appeal to the mini-game collectors.

As for 360 sales I think it will be closer to 300K

Why?
Pent up expectations for price cut.
Madden was promoted really only on 360.
Reviews say Madden 360 best and really first next-gen version.
Bioshock reviews were outstanding and not just in gamer circles, but in mainstream press as well.

Mrbob

DeaconKnowledge said:
I agree, but at the same time this is a pretty stacked month. I can see Guitar Hero, Madden, and Bioshock taking up the top 10 with Prime coming in the early teens.

I'd love to be wrong mind you, but it just doesn't seem feasible to me.

First two Metroid game sales were mostly front loaded.

Which means most people bought it on day 1.

MP3 will be in the top 5.

Odysseus

Banned
KeithFranklin said:

Why?
Bioshock reviews were outstanding and not just in gamer circles, but in mainstream press as well.

not saying there's no madden bump, but historically, there hasn't really ever been a madden bump. on the other hand, i predicted 300k for 360 in august in the july npd thread, and i'm not budging from it. if i were to revise it, i would say 270k, but we're committed. no turning back now. i'm a rock.

KeithFranklin said:
You kidding the Nintendo and Metroid fans got this day 1. Very front loaded title. Look back to 2002 for example. Metroid Prime and Splinter Cell both release in November. Metroid Prime wins and in December Splinter Cell killed Metroid Prime. Question in September is will Metroid Prime appeal to the mini-game collectors.

Why?

with Metroid Prime, perhaps you're right. I'm also curious to see where Mario Strikers lands, especially since it was only on July NPD for what, 3 days?

As far as the 360's concerned, I wagered 220k and i'm sticking to it. 300k seems like a pipe dream for Madden (sideways growth) I expect most of the 360 sales to be from Bioshock/Blue Dragon.

FrankT

Guy Legend said:
Pachter is also predicting PS3 to retail at $399.99 in April.

Indeed, just read about that. In the camp that the IPO is a move to subsidize the price lower.

In July, Sony cut the price of its 60Gb PS3 model from $599 to $499 and Microsoft followed in early August with a price cut for the Xbox 360 (Core to $279 from $299, Premium to $349 from $399, and Elite to $449 from $479). "Although it is likely that retailers will soon run out of the discontinued 60Gb PS3, we expect a price cut for the new 80Gb model (without a game bundle) to $499 some time before Thanksgiving," Pachter predicted.

He continued: "We think that Sony’s recent announcement of an IPO for its financial services unit (with an estimated $3 billion in proceeds) could forebode another PS3 price cut early next year. We believe that the company is interested in subsidizing sales of the console in order to stabilize its market share in the games market and grow its lead in the high-definition DVD market. We expect a price cut no later than April, likely to $399 for the 80Gb model."

Finally, on this subject: "Although we do not expect another PS3, PSP, or 360 price cut this year (nor one for the Wii), we think a cut for the PS2 or DS is possible," Pachter added. "Any hardware price reduction could serve as a catalyst for sales growth later in the year."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15420

felipeko

Gigglepoo said:
Is that bet for August NPDs or sales as of the last day of 2007?
To the end of the year.. But if Wii get close this month im pretty sure i will win by the end of the year :D

Dave Long

Banned
I think all his numbers are high given it's August. He seems awfully optimistic for a late summer month when everyone's going back to school.

felipeko said:
To the end of the year.. But if Wii get close this month im pretty sure i will win by the end of the year :D
The PS3 wasn't doing that much better with the last version of Madden that I'm not sure why it's a minority thing to believe Wii's much more expanded userbase will do better from the start. Even in the first few months many multiplatform games sold better on Wii than PS3, let alone now when the Wii lead is an extra million.

felipeko

JoshuaJSlone said:
The PS3 wasn't doing that much better with the last version of Madden that I'm not sure why it's a minority thing to believe Wii's much more expanded userbase will do better from the start. Even in the first few months many multiplatform games sold better on Wii than PS3, let alone now when the Wii lead is an extra million.
Yes, i think the same.. But some GAF stereotype on Wii userbase is leading most people to believe that it's impossible, and i'm a fool... But meh.. I'm willing to test my believings.

I know it will probably sell more on PS3 this month, just beacuse the Madden userbase on there is more hardcore (buy first day) than the one on the Wii, and PS3 didn't had a great release this month... But i think Wii's Madden userbase is bigger, and by the end of the year it will have outsold PS3's.

(donny on prediction thread just put Madden Wii 5k higher :D)

tanod

when is my burrito
Dave Long said:
I think all his numbers are high given it's August. He seems awfully optimistic for a late summer month when everyone's going back to school.

A lot of college people get their school loan checks in late August. I know I did.

DeaconKnowledge said:
with Metroid Prime, perhaps you're right. I'm also curious to see where Mario Strikers lands, especially since it was only on July NPD for what, 3 days?

As far as the 360's concerned, I wagered 220k and i'm sticking to it. 300k seems like a pipe dream for Madden (sideways growth) I expect most of the 360 sales to be from Bioshock/Blue Dragon.
I actually expect the increase to be coming from the price cut, which were more potent in the past. The 360's patterns also work against Madden/Blue Dragon/Bioshock as modest system movers.

Arde5643

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are you trying to imply that a college student would use his loan money...for gaming?
Why...I'd never - the nerve of some people...

Hmph...what nonsensical hubris this is!

*shifts eyes*

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:

It's a minority thing to believe Wii third parties sell. This is why.

Top Bottom