• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley |OT| Hope OR Hype? June 9th 9:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Also landing shots on the head doesn't get you more points as opposed to landing a body shot. That's not how fights are judged.

Well I don't know how they are judged, but I would assume that landing more shots to the head would give the person more score than the one who landed some hard body shots.

He deserved every bit of that KO too. Intentional headbutts.

If you look at the 3rd angle in the gif, the heads never touch.

Well I don't know how they are judged, but I would assume that landing more shots to the head would give the person more score than the one who landed some hard body shots.

If you look at the 3rd angle in the gif, the heads never touch.

He threw a vicious intentional headbutt before that, which is why he was trying to be all apologetic.

RBH

-- Tim Bradley said today that he finally got around to watching his fight with Manny Pacquiao from this weekend, and after watching it he concluded that he, Tim Bradley, won the fight. Glad that's settled.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-...ith-fighter-claiming-hes-not-in-ufc-tons-more

ibmtV44QlsqO9t.gif

Do you think there's a possibility Manny was supposed to throw the match or at least make it closer? I mean, Arum seems to have been caught off guard by the blow back, implying he maybe thought it would be closer and more debatable, a la the Marquez fight. But the only way to have been banking on that is if Manny was in on it. Maybe Manny refused or couldn't quite find a way to make losing believable.

Combined with Manny's subdued requests to just accept the decision and move on to the rematch, it gets even weirder.

By the way, Floyd's camp is saying he may retire because of rough prison conditions, whatever that means.

Do you think there's a possibility Manny was supposed to throw the match or at least make it closer? I mean, Arum seems to have been caught off guard by the blow back, implying he maybe thought it would be closer and more debatable, a la the Marquez fight. But the only way to have been banking on that is if Manny was in on it. Maybe Manny refused or couldn't quite find a way to make losing believable.

Combined with Manny's subdued requests to just accept the decision and move on to the rematch, it gets even weirder.

By the way, Floyd's camp is saying he may retire because of rough prison conditions, whatever that means.

If the fix was in, they probably were expecting to look a lot closer if Bradley didn't break his foot in the 4th round.

Bill Simmons' had Cousin Sal from the Jimmy Kimmel show on (who was furious because he lost money on the fight lol) his podcast Monday and they came up with the idea that boxing judging from now on have two judges and the third America gets to vote, American Idol style. In all honesty, that can't be much worse.

if the 24/7 shows are anything to go by, Floyd is almost never alone. He's always surrounded by family, friends or his management/training team. It must be quite a shock to all of a sudden be alone, but maybe that will make him think twice before he does something stupid.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
WBO to review Bradley-Pacquiao:

The WBO announced Wednesday that it will review Timothy Bradley's controversial victory over Manny Pacquiao in Saturday's welterweight championship fight.

Bradley, the WBO's junior welterweight champ, moved up in weight and claimed a split decision to take Pacquiao's WBO welterweight belt at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. However, there was a storm of controversy after judges Duane Ford and C.J. Ross both scored the fight 115-113 in favor of Bradley while Jerry Roth had it 115-113 for Pacquiao.

The vast majority of observers had Pacquiao clearly winning the fight, many in lopsided fashion. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who promotes both fighters, was outraged and has called on the Nevada attorney general to inquire about the scoring.

WBO president Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, who was ringside for the fight, said his organization's championship committee will review the fight. He said that the committee "will meet soon" and "will examine (the fight) with five recognized international judges to evaluate the video of the match and agree to what emerges."

Valcarcel said the scoring judges' integrity played no part in his decision to review the fight.

"I want to clarify that in no way does this say we are doubting the capacity of these judges, which we consider as honest and competent judges," Valcarcel said.

The WBO could order a rematch, although that is unnecessary because Pacquiao has a rematch clause in his contract that entitles him to an immediate second fight.

Pacquiao said after the fight that he would like a rematch, and Bradley also has said he would honor the commitment. Arum had Nov. 10 set aside for Pacquiao's next fight, whether against Bradley again or somebody else, well before Saturday's fight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So if it's already been determined that the judges are both honest and competent, why are they reviewing the fight?

so if they determine the resut was in clear error, will the remove the PacMan's loss? will the remove Bradely's win?

will the give all of us our money back for paying for the fight?

Radec

Or they will take the easy route and say that Bradley won the fight.

Then the inevitable rematch takes place 4 months from now.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bill Simmons' had Cousin Sal from the Jimmy Kimmel show on (who was furious because he lost money on the fight lol) his podcast Monday and they came up with the idea that boxing judging from now on have two judges and the third America gets to vote, American Idol style. In all honesty, that can't be much worse.

I like this idea

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Because people who don't follow boxing think a crime transpired.

But they are already precluding that possibility! They put the cart before the horse. They need to "launch an investigation," sit around for a week or so, then say the judges are totally competent and honest.

Jim Lampley is about to interview one of the judges (Duane Ford) who scored it for Bradley, along with Bradley's manager, live on his HBO show right now. Hopefully he puts the screws to him.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
My friend watched the fight twice today with the sound turned off, and said the fight was actually a lot closer that most people think. Said he can see why the judges gave it to Bradley but he still feels Pacaio won.

Radec

What's Pacquiao say about the result now ?

He still accepts it and praise God or something ?

From the press con it's like he didn't care at all.

dabig2

Youtube link for those who don't want to soil themselves with WSHH

Good video showing the bias of HBO announcers. I still think Pac won the fight by a decent margin, but the HBO announcers would you make you believe it was a straight shutout and that Pac was reshuffling Bradley's face.

Bradley is a fast guy and was doing a decent job of blocking, evading or rolling with most of those punches. But Pac did tag him with more heavy shots than Bradley tagged Pac with.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Youtube link for those who don't want to soil themselves with WSHH

Good video showing the bias of HBO announcers. I still think Pac won the fight by a decent margin, but the HBO announcers would you make you believe it was a straight shutout and that Pac was reshuffling Bradley's face.

Bradley is a fast guy and was doing a decent job of blocking, evading or rolling with most of those punches. But Pac did tag him with more heavy shots than Bradley tagged Pac with.

Stupid announcers. Pac was missing a lot of the shots, wow lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
WBO review of Pacquiao-Bradley fight says Pacquiao should've been awarded victory, but Bradley's win will stand - @NBCSports

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty clear from the videos that Bradley won, and Pac would get destroyed by Floyd.

Pacquaio was nowhere close to dominant, and actually looked the worst I've seen him in years. That's why I'm not so up in arms about the decision. There were times that Pac was out there just flailing about with punches as if he forgot how to set things up. Off balance, amateurish; Floyd would have a field day against this Pac we have now, and Floyd has much more pop than Bradley.

Pretty clear from the videos that Bradley won, and Pac would get destroyed by Floyd.

That video you watched only shows how poor and biased HBO's commentary was, which I think was the reason some people here were scoring it something stupid like 120-108. It doesn't show all the shots he landed. Watch the entire fight and it's pretty clear that Pacquiao won. Bradley won 2-3 rounds, 4 if you're being extremely generous. But there's no way in hell that he won the fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
I didn't need commentary to see Pacquaio hit him with much more flush shots that had an effect on Bradley, was much more active, and accurate.

He won handily on all compubox, and people can say that's a shit measure too - but if anything it made it look closer for Bradley. Bradley has NO power, so it's lenient to call anything he threw a 'power punch.' He's a joke.

I didn't need commentary to see Pacquaio hit him with much more flush shots that had an effect on Bradley, was much more active, and accurate.

He won handily on all compubox, and people can say that's a shit measure too - but if anything it made it look closer for Bradley. Bradley has NO power, so it's lenient to call anything he threw a 'power punch.' He's a joke.

Yeah, Pac landed maybe a handful of flush straight lefts, over 12 rounds. Compubox must have counted all those flailing shots he landed on Bradley's shoulders and arms as powershots, too. I wouldn't call Bradley a joke either; he's very talented, and defensively made Pac look silly at times. Not every boxer is a powerpuncher; skills go a long way. There were a lot of rounds where Pac didn't do shit for the first 2 minutes but follow Bradley and eat jabs. He would rally at the end of the rounds to try to steal them, but he could never impose his will on Bradley, something he's been able to do to his previous opponents. I had it 7rds to 5 for Pac, but he damned sure didn't set the world on fire, and Bradley has to be given credit for that. He actually slowed Pac down with his bodyshots. If he was such a joke, why couldn't Pac knock him out? With busted ankles even?

Jim Lampley and HBO's generally bias commentary is well known amongst most boxing fans.

Lampley and Merchant were the two guys who, all those years ago, made it sound like Meldrick Taylor was running circles around Chavez and scoring at will. It was funny when they finally had to snap back somewhat close to reality when in the 10th and 11th rounds it became glaringly obvious just how badly Taylor had had the stuffing beat out of him.

Lampley and crew are masters at making close fights or marginal victory for one guy fights sound like the most incredible one sided beatings imaginable.

W_Dreamer

Pacquaio was nowhere close to dominant, and actually looked the worst I've seen him in years. That's why I'm not so up in arms about the decision. There were times that Pac was out there just flailing about with punches as if he forgot how to set things up. Off balance, amateurish; Floyd would have a field day against this Pac we have now, and Floyd has much more pop than Bradley.

Mayweather is no longer in his prime either, and with his pleas that he's "withering" away in prison there are doubts he could be as conditioned as Bradley in that fight, if Mayweather decides to ever fight again.

Mayweather is no longer in his prime either, and with his pleas that he's "withering" away in prison there are doubts he could be as conditioned as Bradley in that fight, if Mayweather decides to ever fight again.
Don't believe all that prison hype. His lawyers are doing what he paid them to do; pull out all the stops for their client. I'm sure he's getting his calisthenics in, but if they can get him house arrest they will try. And yeah, Floyd may not be in his prime anymore, but his technique is still there, and Pac is made to order for what Floyd does best. Floyd never looked good fighting at 154, and Cotto is strong as shit at that weight, and still a great fighter, so I don't put too much emphasis on that performance. I will agree though that if Pac and Floyd don't fight each other within the next year, then don't even bother. They won't be at the top of their games anymore, and it won't be a true litmus test as to who is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom