• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley |OT| Hope OR Hype? June 9th 9:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
ZEHUX.png

Quit stealing Coli smilies breh.

i figured some gaffer would catch on
KuGsj.gif

the coli having a racist little celebration right now, sad tbh

shaq.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the wheelchair thing is kinda funny superficially but the guy pretty obviously twisted his ankle. it's not like he was in a wheelchair because his brain got scrambled so badly afaik. same with the pac-bradley 2 tweet. just stupid promotion. i don't think either of those really goes to the point of just hey here's a terrible decision either the product of jaw-dropping incompetence or blatant corruption

Amagon

Man, what a crazy night, my hangover is gone finally. LOL, I won $5 on Bradley!!!! I won't say much that hasn't been said bout the main event but damn, super pissed about the No Contest for the Rojas - Arce fight. Now that was some serious bullshit!

I had Manny winning by 2 or 3 rounds, but there were so many close rounds I don't understand the outrage about the decision. Manny did the most damage for sure, but it was only in a couple rounds. You don't get extra points for landing lots of shots in a round unless you score a knock-down.

Boxing is scored by rounds, and lots of the rounds were close. Also, many of Manny's best shots were hard to see on the inside. It wasn't always clear in those flurries what connected, and whether they actually hurt Bradley. Bradley's jabs from the outside were much easier to confirm as landed.

So maybe it was a bad decision, but I've seen much worse this year. Williams/Lara was an outright robbery. Even Peterson/Khan was more controversial in my opinion.
You're right. I'm not sure what the hundreds of boxing and sports analysts are talking about. They must be taking crazy pills, like all of them. I applaud you on your ability to hone in on the truth even in the face of common sense.

I had Manny winning by 2 or 3 rounds, but there were so many close rounds I don't understand the outrage about the decision. Manny did the most damage for sure, but it was only in a couple rounds. You don't get extra points for landing lots of shots in a round unless you score a knock-down.

Boxing is scored by rounds, and lots of the rounds were close. Also, many of Manny's best shots were hard to see on the inside. It wasn't always clear in those flurries what connected, and whether they actually hurt Bradley. Bradley's jabs from the outside were much easier to confirm as landed.

So maybe it was a bad decision, but I've seen much worse this year. Williams/Lara was an outright robbery. Even Peterson/Khan was more controversial in my opinion.

Yeah, that Paul Williams decision was the most terrible decision I've ever witnessed, and it's hard to fathom a match with a more blatant fix than that one. I can't wait for this fight to hit HBO, I need to see if this being blown out of proportion or not.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what gets me?

The tall guy with the deep voice who interviews the fighter after the fight, in a rather confrontational way, every time. He always sounds so condescending, and he sounds straight out of the WWF attitude-era. Funny guy.

Loofy

Friend of mine had a theory. What if the judges were paid off by the gay mafia after manny made those comments about homosexuals?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rematch will probably be a good fight, but it's going to be incredibly hard to watch. Was there really no one else left for Pacquaio to fight at Top Rank?
No, Pacquiao vs Arum would be a good fight. There's no point in watching a rematch unless Bradley puts a fucking anvil in his gloves.

Tom_Cody

I agree with this post.

I scored Pac winning by 3-4 rounds. I definitely agree that he should have won but I have seen much worse decisions.

Tom_Cody

I recorded the fight, which rds do you have Bradley winning.

theBishop - which rds do you have Bradley winning?
I scored him winning 1 and 10-12. In saying that I scored Pac winning by 3-4 rounds, I feel that there were enough rounds that were close that I could fairly see one more going to Bradley.

Also, to those throwing around compubox connect numbers, judges consistently score activity/punches-thrown over punch connects. This is a fact of boxing that most pundits seem to be ignoring. I agree that that landed punches should be the ones that are scored but, in fight after fight, judges favor overall activity.

To repeat, I still think Pac won the fight, which is of course the major point here. Its just that I have seen much worse decisions and I don't think it is that crazy to see it go for Bradley despite my personal scoring of the fight.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ortiz had it coming and it was a savvy move by Mayweather.

This. I hate how haters of mayweather always try to say it was a cheap shot. Yeah like I'm suppose to buy that from educated fans who have been watching boxing and seeing how shit like that could've had mayweather getting screwed up.

Never let your guard down and if someone wants to play possum let them gamble with their head.

Tom_Cody

This. I hate how haters of mayweather always try to say it was a cheap shot. Yeah like I'm suppose to buy that from educated fans who have been watching boxing and seeing how shit like that could've had mayweather getting screwed up.

Never let your guard down and if someone wants to play possum let them gamble with their head.
I totally agree.

RBH

Fight judges Duane Ford and CJ Ross gave the decision to Bradley by 115-113 scores, while Jerry Roth scored it in Pacquiao's favor by the same score.

Ford, 74, and Roth, 71, said Sunday they stand by their work. The CompuBox statistics showed Pacquiao dominated by large percentages in every category - 34 percent to 19 percent in punches connected, 24 percent to 11 in jabs connected and 39 percent to 28 in power punches connected.

"I thought Bradley gave Pacquiao a boxing lesson," said Ford, who has worked as a judge in Nevada since the late 1970s and admitted he didn't see the final punch stats. "I thought a lot of the rounds were close. Pacquiao missed a lot of punches and I thought he was throwing wildly."

Roth, another longtime Nevada judge who has been working fights since the early 1980s, said: "I'm looking for effective aggressiveness. I thought Pacquiao won a lot of the early rounds, and I thought Bradley came on in the end. That's why I gave Bradley the last three rounds. But I still thought Pacquiao had done enough to win."

Ross, who has been judging fights since the late 1980s, did not return multiple calls Sunday seeking comment.

Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Skip Avansino said he stands behind the judges.

"We had three seasoned professionals working and I don't question their determinations," said Avansino, who was sitting ringside Saturday. "Unless something is brought to our attention that there was improper behavior, we're not going to take any action. I'm not going to second-guess our judges."

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who promoted the fight, demanded some accountability from the NAC and said the rematch, tentatively scheduled Nov. 10 at the Grand Garden, could be moved elsewhere, depriving Las Vegas and the state of millions of dollars in revenue. Saturday's fight generated an estimated $10 million in nongaming revenue.

"I must be a schmuck," an angry Arum said. "I had it 11-1 (11 rounds in Pacquiao's favor) and these judges had it different. Nobody likes being a schmuck. But this decision was ridiculous. You know who won."

The 28-year-old Bradley improved his record to 29-0, while Pacquiao, 33, fell to 54-4-2 with his first defeat since 2005.

Pacquiao, gracious in defeat, said he didn't want a change of venue despite the outcome.

"I prefer to fight in Las Vegas," Pacquiao said. "I love Vegas, especially the MGM. They have promoted a lot of my fights here. I prefer to come back here."

Bradley, of course, has no problem returning to Nevada to fight. But he's going to need some time to heal after suffering a fractured bone in his left foot in the second round and a sprained right ankle in the fifth.

His manager, Cameron Dunkin, confirmed the injuries after Bradley was examined late Saturday. The fighter will have an MRI today on his left foot in his hometown of Palm Springs, Calif., to deter­mine the extent of the damage.

"What do you want me to do? There were three judges and they saw it the way they saw it," Bradley said while seated in a wheelchair at the postfight news conference. "We definitely need to do this again in November and make it more decisive for everyone."

Bradley said quitting after the second round was not an option.

"I heard a pop in my foot and I said, 'Damn, I think I broke my foot,' " he said. "I just sucked it up and kept fighting."

Lost in the controversy of the decision was the extraordinarily long wait for the fight to start. It had been announced the fight wouldn't begin until the end of Game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference finals. But it took more than an hour after the Miami Heat had eliminated the Boston Celtics for Pacquiao to enter the ring. He had a "Where's Waldo?" moment when no one could find him inside the Grand Garden. He had retreated to a room adjacent to his dressing room to loosen up on a treadmill.

Avansino twice approached Pacquiao to ask him to wrap up his preparations and make his way to the ring, to no avail.

"I said to Manny, 'Champ, we need to go now,' " Avansino said. "I did everything I could short of calling off the fight, which I wasn't going to do."

Ultimately, Pacquiao and Bradley got inside the ropes, fought and became partners in one of the most controversial decisions in boxing history.

While Bradley tends to his injuries, Pacquiao will return to the Philippines, where his loss was greeted by dismay and anger. Philippines Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, who watched the bout at the Grand Garden, hoped Pacquiao would win the rematch on Nov. 10.

"For me, what happened here in Vegas was highway robbery," he told Philippines radio network DZBB by telephone.

As for the judges who crafted the controversy and paved the way for the rematch, they said they can live with their handiwork.

"This wasn't an 'American Idol' contest," Ford said. "If I judge for the people, I shouldn't be a judge."
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/fight-decision-leaves-many-feeling-punchy-158383725.html

I think Arum is afraid that the backlash isn't what he was expecting. He probably figured that people would rally behind "poor, ripped off Manny" and anticipate the rematch with a passion, instead people are just outraged at everyone, including Manny and his evil manager, and don't give a shit about the rematch. I saw something earlier that ticket brokers are telling Arum so far there is very little interest in a rematch. Arum is trying to save face and look like he is furious.

Really? That fake hug Ortiz tried to give after a headbutt gets you every time?
It "gets me" too because it's a ridiculous situation. There doesn't have to be any commentary on Mayweather for it to be amusing.

The ref is looking the wrong way, one guy is coming in to apologize, gets sucker punched, he doesn't go away or try to protect himself, looks for the ref who is still looking the wrong way, then gets knocked down.

Mayweather was boxing to the best of his ability and according to the rules. That doesn't change the fact that it's fucking funny. That's typically what "gets me" indicates, Mr. Robot Man.

bjb

Banned
Outside of a possible fix to setup a higher grossing rematch - I'm happy Pacquiao lost, as he should have been stripped of his belt anyway due to his blatant HGH usage.

demigod

"If this were 'American Idol', without a doubt, Manny Pacquiao would have won," Ford said. "But it was not. I gave an honest opinion. I had Pacquiao up 4-2, I think, at the end of six rounds. I thought he hurt Bradley a couple of times early in the fight. But when the bell rang to end that round, it was over and what happens in one round doesn't carry over to the next round. They're separate units.

"In the second half of the fight, Pacquiao picked off a lot of punches to the head, but Bradley landed some hard body shots. That hurt Pacquiao. I don't mean it hurt him in the sense of it physically hurting him, but in terms of scoring and piling up points. Bradley did an excellent job standing his ground as a boxer. Remember, it's a boxing match and Bradley demonstrated his ability to box expertly."

So apparently "some" hard body shots count more than "a lot of" hits to the head according to this judge. I would gladly be punched on my body than my head ANY DAY of the week.

CompuBox should be official or at least have some influence like the instant replay

Remember, it's a boxing match and Bradley demonstrated his ability to box expertly.

Yet Pacquaio landed more hits, and out classed him and still lost

Regardless of style or even skill :)p) the person who lands more punches in boxing wins and Pacquaio should have won

I will tell you, after finally watching the fight, Bradley made Pac look very ordinary. After reading Gaf cream over Pac round after round, I expected to see pure dominance, but I cannot say that he clearly dominated Bradley. I think he won, sure, but he missed an awful lot, against a guy with a broken foot no less. He did not look good at all to me, and unless he recaptures that irresistible force mystique if he fights Floyd he will get beaten up. Depending on what one looks at, I could easily see a judge given Bradley 5 rounds; some were close because Pac did nothing until the end of the round. I even thought that Pac was gassed as the fight went on. He is clearly on the downslide; something is missing.

Gaf totally overreacted on fight night imo; still a robbery, but a much closer fight in my eyes. I gave Bradley credit for boxing while going backwards, and landing some good counters. Some would look at Pac coming forward and prefer that style of generalship, and I can see that too. Bradley is good at making the other guy look bad.

I will tell you, after finally watching the fight, Bradley made Pac look very ordinary. After reading Gaf cream over Pac round after round, I expected to see pure dominance, but I cannot say that he clearly dominated Bradley. I think he won, sure, but he missed an awful lot, against a guy with a broken foot no less. He did not look good at all to me, and unless he recaptures that irresistible force mystique if he fights Floyd he will get beaten up. Depending on what one looks at, I could easily see a judge given Bradley 5 rounds; some were close because Pac did nothing until the end of the round. I even thought that Pac was gassed as the fight went on. He is clearly on the downslide; something is missing.

Gaf totally overreacted on fight night imo; still a robbery, but a much closer fight in my eyes. I gave Bradley credit for boxing while going backwards, and landing some good counters. Some would look at Pac coming forward and prefer that style of generalship, and I can see that too. Bradley is good at making the other guy look bad.

The Pac/Money May match is looking less and less appealing as the months/years go by. Is there any doubt Floyd would pick this guy apart now?

The Pac/Money May match is looking less and less appealing as the months/years go by. Is there any doubt Floyd would pick this guy apart now?

Something is missing from Pac, and I hate to speculate on the juice issue, so I won't go there. He is CLEARLY not the same guy from a few fights ago. Hell, I think the Cotto who fought Floyd would have knocked this Pacman out if they had fought that night. Bradley's problem was he throws pea shooter punches; Pac's punches stood out more, but Bradley caught him with some sweet counters. Yet the punches they showed on replay was Pac's, because they moved Bradley, and part of that I think was the balance/foot issues too. I'm a big Pac fan, but I gotta call it like I see it. He was far from impressive that night, and I don't know what everyone was gushing over.

Something is missing from Pac, and I hate to speculate on the juice issue, so I won't go there. He is CLEARLY not the same guy from a few fights ago. Hell, I think the Cotto who fought Floyd would have knocked this Pacman out if they had fought that night. Bradley's problem was he throws pea shooter punches; Pac's punches stood out more, but Bradley caught him with some sweet counters. Yet the punches they showed on replay was Pac's, because they moved Bradley, and part of that I think was the balance/foot issues too. I'm a big Pac fan, but I gotta call it like I see it. He was far from impressive that night, and I don't know what everyone was gushing over.

it's possible he's just hitting the end of his peak/prime. He's been fighting for a long ass time, this was bound to happen. It catches up to everyone.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I called the fight a draw. Manny shouldn't have taken too many rounds off. He literally only fought for a third of the fight. The other two-thirds, Bradley was throwing his weak left jab and won on activity alone. I don't see the point of the outrage because if you are going to be mad, be mad at Manny because if he would have started out from the opening bell and brawled, Bradley wouldn't have had a chance. Dude only had 12 KOs in 28 fights to that point and he was coming up in weight. Manny should have walked through everything from the opening bell.

Redux

Banned
it's possible he's just hitting the end of his peak/prime. He's been fighting for a long ass time, this was bound to happen. It catches up to everyone.

Even Mayweather didn't look as good as he used to, against a man that Pac dominated and also tko'd while May got the decision against Cotto.

They both might be close to retirement time.

I watched the fight with my wife's family and some of their friends. We invited some of our friends too. Everyone there was pissed at the decision.

Anyone who was a UFC fan said, "This is why I don't watch boxing"

Anyone who wasn't a UFC fan said, "This is why Im going to stop watching boxing"

Boxing is hurting enough as is, why allow such a joke of a fight to go on when there's is direct competition now?

I called the fight a draw. Manny shouldn't have taken too many rounds off. He literally only fought for a third of the fight. The other two-thirds, Bradley was throwing his weak left jab and won on activity alone. I don't see the point of the outrage because if you are going to be mad, be mad at Manny because if he would have started out from the opening bell and brawled, Bradley wouldn't have had a chance. Dude only had 12 KOs in 28 fights to that point and he was coming up in weight. Manny should have walked through everything from the opening bell.

This is rediculous. Manny flat out won rounds 3-9. That's 7 of the 12 rounds. Even if you geave Bradley each of the other rounds, Manny still wins. Most of those were close calls.

Manny threw and landed more punches. Including power punches. That's not "taking too many rounds off".

Tom_Cody

I watched the fight with my wife's family and some of their friends. We invited some of our friends too. Everyone there was pissed at the decision.

Anyone who was a UFC fan said, "This is why I don't watch boxing"

Anyone who wasn't a UFC fan said, "This is why Im going to stop watching boxing"

Boxing is hurting enough as is, why allow such a joke of a fight to go on when there's is direct competition now?

This is rediculous. Manny flat out won rounds 3-9. That's 7 of the 12 rounds. Even if you geave Bradley each of the other rounds, Manny still wins. Most of those were close calls.

Manny threw and landed more punches. Including power punches. That's not "taking too many rounds off".
http://compuboxonline.com/compubox-stats-bradley-w-12-pacquaio/

He did out land him but he didn't out throw him. Also, judges don't have access to these numbers during the fight when they are scoring the rounds.

http://compuboxonline.com/compubox-stats-bradley-w-12-pacquaio/

He did out land him but he didn't out throw him. Also, judges don't have access to these numbers during the fight when they are scoring the rounds.

If he threw less punches and still landed more, I think that just further proves my point.

Not one person needed those numbers watching the fight on TV where I was. Everything Bradley thew at manny was blocked and/or useless. It was so blatently obvious.

I've been perma soured on boxing. I was only casual before, but enjoyed the sport more than MMA. I don't seen any reason to buy another fight now.

This "decision" only made the chances of a Floyd / Manny fight even less likely.

Jasoneyu

If the fight was as "close" as some people stated in this thread, would've it had sturred up this much controversy? Bradley at most won 3 rounds and that still gives Manny the win by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom