• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley |OT| Hope OR Hype? June 9th 9:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Don't worry, I'm not going back to Boxing threads anytime soon .
thanks

also:

198254_10150933562859034_1925669321_n.jpg

BOB ARUM: ""I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous," ESPN

no shame whatsoever

4248081103_56289e2b30.jpg

Yeah, I think he's worse than Richard Schaffer. Why doesn't someone interview the judges? I was really pissed at the Rios/Abril fiasco. Hell, one of the judges for that fight, was a judge on this fight as well!

Ash_69

Putting my balls on the line and saying Bradley's got this.

Putting a bet on it as well. Pacquiao is declining and waiting to get beaten. He has looked nothing special in his last few fights.

Bradley never looks special but the difference is he dominates despite this.

Thank you Desert Storm 6/1 to win by decision!

Sean

Banned
Bradley put your hands down.

Oh well, I had hoped for a closer fight. Why is Bradley raising his arms at the end of the fight?

Bradley celebrating is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He's going to lose 120-108.

Was confused on why he through his hands up too. Should've known something was weird after Bradley was celebrating victory before the scores were even announced. Plus that "Gonna be so nice we gonna do it twice." tweet from eleven days before the match, wow.

It actually wasn't a bad fight when you take the result out of the equation.
Depends on your definition of a bad fight. It was certainly boring without the twist ending. Manny completely outclassed Bradley, and you can tell both fighters knew it, just a few rounds in. Manny took his foot off the gas and coasted to what should have been an easy decision. Even if Manny won, I still would've said it was a one-sided, boring fight between two horribly mismatched fighters. I don't see how an upset decision could convince anyone that a second fight will be any more competitive, unless they're actually banking on people paying to see a vindictive Pac get medieval on Bradley's ass.

well pac-man now feels how marquez felt when he got robbed last match.
Did you watch the fight? Because there's a stark contrast between the way Marquez and Pac reacted to their losses. Marquez left the ring in utter disgust without even providing an interview. Manny stuck around, shrugged his shoulders, and patted Bradley on the back, congratulating him with a smile. He admitted to feeling that he won the fight, but he respected the judges' decisions. He handled it better than probably anyone could've imagined, considering how lopsided this fight was compared to Pacquiao vs Marquez 3. It seems like some bitter people really want Manny to feel robbed like they feel Marquez was. But Manny sincerely doesn't give a fuck. And I don't know why people think Pac needs to be punished for being on the winning end of some arguable decisions. It's not like he personally has a hand in any judging corruption. Karma isn't Pac losing via corrupt judging. Karma would be a paid-off judge going rogue, and losing millions of dollars for Arum and all the other inside-bettors. Something like the ending of Lionheart.

IMO, I don't see this really hurting Pacquiao, besides his W-L record. No one will think any less of him for losing a fixed match by decision. In fact, his win over Marquez damaged his unbeatable image more than this loss will. And boxing belts haven't meant shit for a long time, anyway. Manny will still be a money draw with or without a belt. Strip both Manny and Floyd of their belts, and people will still have just as much interest in seeing them fight.

All this decision did was line some fatpockets with cash, and setup an instant rematch to make even more money. And all without having to split any money with Mayweather.

You know what is sad? You have two guys who are really honest about their boxing and both seem like genuinely honestly down to earth guys who would serve boxing pretty well as ambassadors and the judges have made a mockery of them and disrespected them by giving that poor decision. It will be a hollow victory to bradley and he knows it. Bradley would have been better off as fighter if he lost to manny pacquiao as that is what boxing is all about. The money is great for his family but for his inner self he would be wanting to really prove that win that people now believe he doesn't deserve. I hate boxing sometimes. So many honest fighters that always get played like pawns.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Two things immediately spring to my mind...

220px-Kurupt_YounGotti_Street_Lights_Photo.jpg

Don%2BKing.jpg

DKehoe

Wow, it really sucks for you boxing fans. You guys are welcome to come join us in the MMA thread There may be bad decisions at times but nothing like that.

Talking of which, Dana White on twitter:

Nevada state athletic commission at its finest!!! Youve for to be fucking kidding me!! that is disgusting Nevada state athletic commission!!

Worst athletic commission in the country!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what, I'm not even mad at Bradley. He seems like a good guy and now he's going to make $10-20 million on a rematch with Manny by playing the game.

I really hate the hate Bradley is receiving...dude fought injured, and he wasn't in there turtle-ing...the decision was bad but damn man. I don't think he was in there relying on some great conspiracy, he seemed surprised by the decision as everyone else with his "I'll need to watch the fight to see if I won" comment. While this comment certainly speaks negatively to his confidence about winning the fight...I actually thought it was decently humble and can't understand disliking him personally because of it. Most would have shown false certainty. And his family situation....woah. Taking care of her and her kids...lol, I don't give a fuck, this guy is a saint.

Also...while Pac won, all the noise is really starting to irritate me. I was wilding out last night but having calmed down a bit I am a little frustrated with some of this stuff. The rematch shit (Tickets, posters, etc) is clearly contract related. Rematch clauses have been apart of the game forever. This is getting into loose change territory for me. If Arum rigged the shit, he certainly just payed off the judges like he always does.

Compubox.....It's a boxing match, not a basketball game. I hate cumulative compubox stats because they say fuck all about the rounds. It's conceivable that a man can win his rounds bigger than his opponent wins his, and still lose the fight. While it's not that common, it's certainly in the realm of possibility. I had it 9-3....maybe 8-4 or 10-2 for Manny. But Pacman didn't show killer instinct against a man who HBO commentary couldn't quit fucking reminding us that he supposedly couldn't be hurt by. I don't think you guys need this, but the twitter crowd definitely seems to think that it's all about the final punch stats instead of rounds.

Does this actually suggest anything besides they were planning to have a rematch either way?

I think you could easily draw a fair bit from it. The passes were already printed and they've listed Bradley's name first. Unless they do things like for the Super Bowl where gear is printed up for both teams and whoever wins, they have the shirts/hats ready and the losers' gear goes to developing nations as donations.

I dunno...who's to say they ALL weren't in on it. A lot of people got rich off it last night, and we haven't had a real upset like this in a while.

entremet

Boxing is dying anyway. I grew up a boxing fan, when the heavyweight division was the premiere division, now the heavyweight division is bore. The other divisions have marquee talent that don't even want to fight each other--Pac and Floyd, and the sport is going to be irrelevant as MMA becomes the most popular combat sport. And it's being run by business people that know what they're doing, nurture talent, market, etc.

RIP Boxing. It'll go to the same level of cultural relevance as horse racing.

Buzzati

Banned
It's all suspicious. There was no outrage by Pacquiao at the post-decision interview. When asked if he would accept the rematch, he acknowledged calmly and quickly. Look, I understand that he has no other choice - of course he'd accept the rematch to get his title back, but he was too stoic about it. This is all very strange.

DKehoe

Was the November 10th date being discussed that openly before the fight? Was really weird how Bradley mentioned an exact date when talking about doing a rematch.

Going to be interesting to hear Mayweather's reaction.

LQX

Wow, I stopped watching half way through as I thought Pacquiao had the win locked up. Crazy.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Paquiao is about to retire so i guess that Bob Arum needs a younger champ.
Boxing is dead, good night sweet prince.

Speaking of boxing dying, what's the current state of the heavyweight division? Stopped following it around the time Lennox Lewis fought Tyson.

Watched the whole fight. Shut it off and went right to sleep after round 12. No reason to stay up.

Just now found out Manny lost.

Boxing is a fucking joke.

Redux

Banned
Pac got robbed, bu the judges must have saw something. Either that or they were close friends of Bradley.

If Pac couldn't beat Bradley, an yes I know he got robbed still, but Mayweather would destroy him.

It'a all good though because his pockets are lined with money. After the rematch, he will fight Floyd for another big payday

Evander Holyfeld:

Bradley lost about 10 rounds. He had a good attitude, wants a rematch. He proved he was in shape, took good shots. Pacquiao threw more shots, was aggressive, highway robbery. He did everything properly.

JLG-

Did anyone watch the fight with Top Rank commentary?

I heard they were biased towards Bradley and felt he won. Is this true?

I'm trying to find a replay.

So people here didn't buy the ppv and the internet is blowing up with people declaring they're done with boxing. How much of an impact do you guys think this will really have? What's the demo who is actually supporting boxing?

shira

So people here didn't buy the ppv and the internet is blowing up with people declaring they're done with boxing. How much of an impact do you guys think this will really have? What's the demo who is actually supporting boxing?
I think most of the money comes from sports bars which show every fight anyway

theBishop

Banned
I had Manny winning by 2 or 3 rounds, but there were so many close rounds I don't understand the outrage about the decision. Manny did the most damage for sure, but it was only in a couple rounds. You don't get extra points for landing lots of shots in a round unless you score a knock-down.

Boxing is scored by rounds, and lots of the rounds were close. Also, many of Manny's best shots were hard to see on the inside. It wasn't always clear in those flurries what connected, and whether they actually hurt Bradley. Bradley's jabs from the outside were much easier to confirm as landed.

So maybe it was a bad decision, but I've seen much worse this year. Williams/Lara was an outright robbery. Even Peterson/Khan was more controversial in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom