• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pancakes and cheesecake collide at IHOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my.

Executives at Glendale-based IHOP are hoping Americans’ love for two dessert and breakfast foods will make its latest product a hit: a stack of pancakes layered over cheesecake filling.

The company on Monday debuted its new “five-layer pancake stackers,” a creation that includes a layer of “crust-less cheesecake” in between two pancakes topped with fruit and whipped cream.

A regular combination comes with bacon, hash browns and two eggs and totals 1,250 calories, according to IHOP, which did not offer other nutritional details and did not have specifics for only a pancake stack.

The pancake stackers will be available until June 20 for around $4.99 nationwide and $5.99 in the Los Angeles area, IHOP spokeswoman Jennifer Pendergrass said.

“We think this is the best of both worlds, with two great, delicious flavors with our world-famous buttermilk pancakes and our strawberry cheesecakes,” Pendergrass said.

While experts criticized the meal’s nutritional value, the new item, like other recent food innovations, offers a new way of eating popular dishes that could win strong demand in the marketplace, they said.

“Generally what we look for is nothing that’s new that we’ve never heard of, but it’s new variations of things that we already know,” said Harry Balzer, vice president of the NPD Group, which monitors trends in the food industry.

IHOP’s pancake stackers hit stores two weeks after KFC debuted another restaurant creation that troubled nutritional experts: a sandwich assembled with two pieces of fried chicken instead of bread and filled with bacon and Monterey jack and pepper jack cheeses.

The 540-calorie “Double Down” sandwich contains 1,380 milligrams of sodium and 32 grams of fat.

Those two items and other offerings have come as government agencies and nutritionists have promoted healthier eating habits while the nation continues to struggle with high rates of obesity and diabetes, experts said.

That could mean that many consumers aren’t interested in eating healthier foods, and that restaurants know that, said Keri Gans, a New York-based registered dietitian and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Assn.

“There’s always going to be some consumers that don’t listen, don’t care about health that just basically say, ‘I’m going to eat whatever I want,’” Gans said.

“Unfortunately, they’re going to pay the consequences later.”

IHOP also offers healthier options on its “IHOP for Me” menu, which includes items under 600 calories, Pendergrass said.

“We’re really about the freedom of choice for our guests,” she said.

But the company’s newest low-cost offering, which will be combined with a national ad campaign, adds to an array of existing unhealthy restaurant choices, experts said.

Julia Stewart, chairwoman and chief executive of DineEquity Inc., which owns IHOP and Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar, said in a March conference call with investors that the company hoped new menu items would help it rebound from declining same-store sales figures.

DineEquity, which employs 225 workers at its Glendale headquarters and more than 1,000 at its company-owned locations nationwide, lost $154 million in 2008, but rebounded with $31 million in 2009 earnings, even as same-store sales continued to slide.

The limited-time pancake stackers offer could lure new customers to IHOP stores, Pendergrass said.

gnp-pancake042710.jpg

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/articles/2010/04/27/business/gnp-pancake042710.txt

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
In the picture of the large woman, you can see her growing another human being off the front of her.

That crease on the left is actually where the ass of the new organism is growing.

The waitress offered this to me and my friends last night, needless to say we passed.

Cheesecake filling between pancakes, I dunno - not for me.

Door2Dawn said:
Don't bother eating anything else for the rest of the day after that..
Seriously, I've had the blowout combo for breakfast at IHOP before and wasn't hungry again until lunchtime the next day.

Esch

Banned
I feel like somehow nationwide chains are actually managing to make their food even MORE unhealthy than it already is, which is kinda impressive when you really think about it

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Disgusting, this crap reminds me of KFC's double down.

EschatonDX said:
I feel like somehow nationwide chains are actually managing to make their food even MORE unhealthy than it already is, which is kinda impressive when you really think about it

Yea I wonder who is the person or persons responsible for these types of food abominations.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
ALmost pancakes and artificial cheesecake-flavored cream gunk collide at IHOP.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Iron_Scimitar said:
Right before the Double-down, throw down one of those bad boys.

thats breakfast, double down for lunch, mcgangbang for dinner... and then die in your sleep

BattleMonkey said:
Ihop, open 24 hours

I understand, but they do separate their menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner even though they serve breakfast all day. Anyway, it looks like a dessert and a disgusting one at that.

Siebzehn50 said:
I understand, but they do separate their menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner even though they serve breakfast all day. Anyway, it looks like a dessert and a disgusting one at that.

No it's same menu all day.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The wife and I, on a spontaneous whim decided to go to IHOP for the first time in years late last Friday night. She got the cheesecake pancakes and as much as she loathes it she let me sneak a few bites from her plate.

Needless to say I wished I had ordered them as well. :D

Barrett2

RbBrdMan said:
The wife and I, on a spontaneous whim decided to go to IHOP for the first time in years late last Friday night. She got the cheesecake pancakes and as much as she loathes it she let me sneak a few bites from her plate.

Needless to say I wished I had ordered them as well. :D

Were the paramedics able to re-start her heart?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lawblob said:
Were the paramedics able to re-start her heart?

The ones she got didn't have cheesecake globed between the pancakes as pictured above. It was more like little bitty chunks of it in the batter. Tastes good man.

daw840

What is it really
That's going on here
You've got your system for total control
So is there really anybody out there
Now watch us suffer cause we can't go
What is it really that is in your head
What little life that you had just died
I'm gonna be the one that's takin over
Now this is what it's like when worlds collide

sohois

So pancakes with bacon and slathered in maple syrup is fine, but put cheesecake filling on them and all of a sudden anyone who goes near em' is a lard-arse.

MultiCore

Why is it suddenly disgusting, immoral, ect, when companies find fabulous new ways to make food?

The negative reponses to this, the Double Down, and numerous other cullinary wonders depresses me.

daw840 said:
Powerman5k
8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom