• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandora's Tower |OT| - Black is Beautiful

Twitter_TrilogyCoinPromotion_v01.png
Yeah, I'm in. Thanks for the headsup. would have missed it otherwise.

Zornica

Banned
I should get mine tomorow... I hope -_-
I may have to kill someone if I don't get on of those coins.

anyway, how is the voice acting compared to XB/TLS? how is it in general?
I wonder if this has a lower inital print than the other two, there was hardly any advertisement, and somehow hardly anybody seems to be interessted in it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I should get mine tomorow... I hope -_-
I may have to kill someone if I don't get on of those coins.

anyway, how is the voice acting compared to XB/TLS? how is it in general?
I wonder if this has a lower inital print than the other two, there was hardly any advertisement, and somehow hardly anybody seems to be interessted in it.

Sounds okay. At times can be laughable.

Mdk7

I just beat the second boss, and i'm frankly awed by this game.

It might be because of the fact i enjoy some kind of horrific stuff (Cannibal Holocaust is my favorite movie ever :p ), but seriosly this game really struck me.
It's an amazingly obscure fairy tale, with some very disturbing situations and revolving around very deep themes like love and corruption.
The atmosphere is top notch, the universe is damn fascinating, and the gameplay while not being stellar is good fun.
It's like a blend of Rygar, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Mermaid in a Manhole (from the Guinea Pig series) and european folklore all mixed with a very japanese taste.

I find two things particularly notable:
1) the fact that Nintendo published something so dark, mature and shocking... Pandora's really, really far from the usual Nintendo game.
2) the PEGI 12 rating is RIDICULOUS: the game is pretty graphic and even more repulsive, so this classification is completely random.

I'll keep on playing, but i'm already in love.
Too bad that this gem won't be played by the vast majority of gamers. :(

daakusedo

Unexpected change of pacing, mid-game, so good.
The difficulty ramp up and probably want you to go back to previous tower to get some materials but there so much to explore it worth some hard battles. Boss battles get harder early however, I began to die with the fourth.
I don't understand what's worth it in the double swords, less powerful but faster attacks ?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What I like:
-Story seems to be interesting even if its a bit predictable.
-Combat is rather simple yet works.
-Music is awesome but RPGs tend to be this way.
-Elena is likeable so it makes you care for her.
-Minimal RPG elements actually work well.

What I dont like:
-Voice Acting is pretty hit or miss
-Main Character is pretty bland in terms of design and personality
-Combat can feel restrictive in comparison to other action games
-Really who can trust Mavda?

Yuterald

These impressions sound great! Everything about this game sounds right up my ally too! I know two people personally who downloaded the game and are enjoying it. Fucking assholes, lol! I can't wait for my PAL copy to arrive. This is definitely my most wanted game as of right now.

RSG tried to get it, but Nintendo said no.
Any game featuring characters from one of Nintendo's "legacy" franchises is never going to happen. It was the same for Mother 3.

If they want to grab a Wii game then RSG, Atlus, Xseed, etc, need to be going after stuff like Takt of Magic, Reginliev, Another Code R, Disaster, Line Attack Heroes or Pandora's Tower. Captain Rainbow was an impossibility from the outset for pretty obvious reasons.

I'm already in the sixth tower. So far, so good.

Combats, without being bad, are what I like the least. The setting, open shortcuts to go much faster through the towers, using the chain to climb... I really like everything else.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm. As an American that imported all three of these games, is it possible to secure the coins?

vitacola

Hmmm. As an American that imported all three of these games, is it possible to secure the coins?
Could be possible, if you know an European who will send the coins to you. NoE always asks you for your address when you order an item from the "Star Catalog(ue)" (dunno the right english term, translated the German version). So it should be possible to enter the address of your European buddy.

If you register at the UK's Club Nintendo your buddy should live in the UK (the same for the other countries) and you should you use an e-mail address which is from the country you register.

I hope I didn't forget something.

wrowa

Pandora's Tower is pretty damn decent.

I can't quite afford it right now and I didn't expect it to be any good anyway, so I gave it a rent over the weekend. The concept was always quite intriguing to me and I thought that it would be good enough for one or two hours worth of fun.

To begin with, I think that the story and art-design are pretty great. The background story is unique in an awesomely disturbing way, the art-design isn't anything special but it's interesting to look at and gives me a little ICO vibe. Pretty cool. I think the first five minutes are already more intriguing than the whole of Last Story's architecture and story, no kidding.

Story-wise it's all a big mystery in the beginning. There's that cursed girl who's slowly turning into some tree-monster and the only way to cure it is giving her the hearts of some disturbing monsters to eat (when she eats these hearts she's making bizarre orgasm sounds and that's not enough: she even moves accordingly. :lol ). There's the player character who's kind of a bland white knight, who's doing everything to save his beloved one. And there's some kind of strange demon merchant grandma who's obviously not to be trusted, but hey, you trust her anyway, because she's awesome. Oh, and then there's the 13 towers that are floating above a big chasm and which are holding the world together with some pairs of giant-ass-chains. The world is quite nice, really. The story isn't the main focus of the game and it doesn't really move forwards for quite some time, but it's still omnipresent in its own way. It's kind of like ICO: the story is a little in the background, but what is given to you makes you feel pretty immersed with the world and gives a great atmosphere. It feels like more than just the sum of its parts.

The gameplay? Not quite as interesting. The combat is a little shallow, the boss fights are not as epic as I thought and the usage of your own chain could be fleshed out more. When I finished the first tower I actually felt confirmed with the assumptions I made before I started playing the game: It has a nice idea, it's fun to play, but not fun enough to keep my interest. At that point I turned off the console and thought that I'd probably never touch the game again.

Well, I was wrong. I booted it up today morning again and ... I played. And I played more. And I couldn't stop playing. I'm now at the sixth tower and after pretty much every tower I was thinking "okay, it's enough, I'll stop playing for now". But I didn't. I don't even quite know what is capturing my interest, but something is.

Long story short: If you have the chance to play it, give it a try. It really is worth it. It won't make any GotY lists, but it's the kind of game that will be considered a "hidden gem" in a few years time. It's flawed, but nevertheless fun and even though it doesn't do anything groundbreakingly new it still feels fresh and interesting.

I just finished the sixth tower and the game becomes even more disturbing...

Elena is starting to like monster's flesh. So weird.

Amalthea

Banned
If you are starved for Metroidvania games you really should consider PT.
What's also nice is how smooth (60fps ?) this game runs, especially compared to TLS.

Seventh tower beaten. The game is going better.

I love how after overcoming the first five towers,
one at the time, you unlock the next five at once so you can go in the order you want. It's a bit of a shame they repeat the themes of the first five (wood, stone, water...), but its design is definitely better.

Torraz

Pandora's Tower is pretty damn decent.

I can't quite afford it right now and I didn't expect it to be any good anyway, so I gave it a rent over the weekend. The concept was always quite intriguing to me and I thought that it would be good enough for one or two hours worth of fun.

To begin with, I think that the story and art-design are pretty great. The background story is unique in an awesomely disturbing way, the art-design isn't anything special but it's interesting to look at and gives me a little ICO vibe. Pretty cool. I think the first five minutes are already more intriguing than the whole of Last Story's architecture and story, no kidding.

Story-wise it's all a big mystery in the beginning. There's that cursed girl who's slowly turning into some tree-monster and the only way to cure it is giving her the hearts of some disturbing monsters to eat (when she eats these hearts she's making bizarre orgasm sounds and that's not enough: she even moves accordingly. :lol ). There's the player character who's kind of a bland white knight, who's doing everything to save his beloved one. And there's some kind of strange demon merchant grandma who's obviously not to be trusted, but hey, you trust her anyway, because she's awesome. Oh, and then there's the 13 towers that are floating above a big chasm and which are holding the world together with some pairs of giant-ass-chains. The world is quite nice, really. The story isn't the main focus of the game and it doesn't really move forwards for quite some time, but it's still omnipresent in its own way. It's kind of like ICO: the story is a little in the background, but what is given to you makes you feel pretty immersed with the world and gives a great atmosphere. It feels like more than just the sum of its parts.

The gameplay? Not quite as interesting. The combat is a little shallow, the boss fights are not as epic as I thought and the usage of your own chain could be fleshed out more. When I finished the first tower I actually felt confirmed with the assumptions I made before I started playing the game: It has a nice idea, it's fun to play, but not fun enough to keep my interest. At that point I turned off the console and thought that I'd probably never touch the game again.

Well, I was wrong. I booted it up today morning again and ... I played. And I played more. And I couldn't stop playing. I'm now at the sixth tower and after pretty much every tower I was thinking "okay, it's enough, I'll stop playing for now". But I didn't. I don't even quite know what is capturing my interest, but something is.

Long story short: If you have the chance to play it, give it a try. It really is worth it. It won't make any GotY lists, but it's the kind of game that will be considered a "hidden gem" in a few years time. It's flawed, but nevertheless fun and even though it doesn't do anything groundbreakingly new it still feels fresh and interesting.

Thanks for those impressions. Do you have any comments regarding the quality of the soundtrack and voice acting?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Could be possible, if you know an European who will send the coins to you. NoE always asks you for your address when you order an item from the "Star Catalog(ue)" (dunno the right english term, translated the German version). So it should be possible to enter the address of your European buddy.

If you register at the UK's Club Nintendo your buddy should live in the UK (the same for the other countries) and you should you use an e-mail address which is from the country you register.

I hope I didn't forget something.

So I guess not. But thank you for the detailed response. :)

Game beaten in 17 hours. That was a surprisingly good ride.

I really like the story, the relationship with Elena and, especially, the level design of the towers. The latter ones are great, with one or two things that recent Zelda games should learn.

What I like least is the soundtrack (I think it's actually good, but they repeat the same music over and over again) and the combat system. The use of the chain is cool and varied, but the melee combat is too simple and doesn't evolve at all since the beginning of the game.

Nemesis_

New review!

Overall, Pandora’s Tower is a great action game that manages to combine a very interesting and well-developed locale with some truly innovative and well thought-out battle mechanics to provide a solid action adventure. Sure, there are light RPG elements in equipment crafting, but this is wholeheartedly an action game – or to be more accurate, an action-drama-puzzle-romance. It’s a weird combination of genres but surprisingly it handles them all rather well.

An unexpected and unfounded gem in the Wii’s library.

Vooks.Net gave it a 5/5

Zornica

Banned
Yesterday, I went to a friends house and brough my wii with me to play some golden eye together. After kicking their asses (we played 4p splitscreen) 20 times, they wanted to stop playing for a while, and asked if I got something new to show them, so I said "yeah, maybe" and put Pandoras Tower in.
Usually, after 2 minutes they would get bored and start babbling about random shit ignoring the game entirely, but this time, things were somehow different. As soon as I hit the start the "new game" button, the room got quiet, and stayed that way until I beat the first tower. They really seemed interessted in the games strangeness and were mesmerized by all the weird shit going on. They also wondered why they had never heard of this before.
THIS is the power of pandora :p

Anyway, after the first tower, I stoped playing because, sadly, thats as far as I've gotten yet. But I am definitely looking forward to continuing this week after I passed my exam.

daakusedo

When you're strongly bound to Elena, you can't get the bad endings with the new game +? Cause you keep love at the level you finish the story.

The last towers were impressive too, you discover their proper mechanic and begin soft then it get really intricate and end with a really fun boss battle.
Intense last part too.

Yesterday, I went to a friends house and brough my wii with me to play some golden eye together. After kicking their asses (we played 4p splitscreen) 20 times, they wanted to stop playing for a while, and asked if I got something new to show them, so I said "yeah, maybe" and put Pandoras Tower in.
Usually, after 2 minutes they would get bored and start babbling about random shit ignoring the game entirely, but this time, things were somehow different. As soon as I hit the start the "new game" button, the room got quiet, and stayed that way until I beat the first tower. They really seemed interessted in the games strangeness and were mesmerized by all the weird shit going on. They also wondered why they had never heard of this before.
THIS is the power of pandora :p

The game's strange concept is what got me interested in it too. Not nearly enough strange games on home consoles these days.

Still waiting for my copy.

Joei

I kind of like the look of this game, looks and sounds pretty interesting. I hope they do an NA release.

By the way, if you register all three of the RPGs with Club Nintendo, you get this message.

ITB-TrilogyCoinPromo_en_GB.png

This applies to the UK. Not sure about other countries. Nice surprise, anyway.

applies to italy as well..
registered my fresh pandora's tower right now and i got the message in my clubnintendo account..
hope to hear a followup on this soon :p

bubnbob

Banned
When you're strongly bound to Elena, you can't get the bad endings with the new game +? Cause you keep love at the level you finish the story.

The last towers were impressive too, you discover their proper mechanic and begin soft then it get really intricate and end with a really fun boss battle.
Intense last part too.

Keep giving her shitty gifts like bones and fangs and gross items.

Kazzy

I've got to admit, out of the three rainfall games, this has become my favorite.

The Last Story has left me cold, and I've all but given up on it at this point.

Xenoblade whilst I have really enjoyed all that I've played so far, it is just too damn expansive for me to really sink my teeth into it at the moment.

Joei

Xenoblade whilst I have really enjoyed all that I've played so far, it is just too damn expansive for me to really sink my teeth into it at the moment.

That's actually a reason I'm holding off on Xenoblade right now. It looks good and I want to play it, but I can't commit to such a large game. I just started up Uncharted 3 after 5 months of having it sealed up, and I've also been wanting to give Dark Souls another try, which I know is rather expansive.

Hearing this game is on the shorter side and the general look of it makes me wish it had an NA release.

Mdk7

Got to the fifth tower, i'm seriously loving this game.
The atmosphere, the setting, the gameplay, the level design, the boss fights... it's seriously damn good.

It's so sad everybody's overlooking it. :(

Got to the fifth tower, i'm seriously loving this game.
The atmosphere, the setting, the gameplay, the level design, the boss fights... it's seriously damn good.

It's so sad everybody's overlooking it. :(
So true. It's more than a week that has been released and makes me a little sad that this thread is still in the fourth page. I know the game isn't out in America, but I thought EuroGAF would lend it a little more attention. It can hardly be compared to Xenoblade, but I think it's a pretty good game.

MYE

So this game is actually good?

I hope this is not another case of GAF being contrarian and rooting for the underdog.

Shiggy

So got mine for 40€ now. Just registered the game for the coins, let's see whether I'll receive an email.
Will try it the game next weekend...probably. The LE is a bit disappointing compared to the Last Story LE. Why is the alternative cover the same that's also on steelbook?

I hope this is not another case of GAF being contrarian and rooting for the underdog.
The game is definitely not a masterpiece, maybe not even outstanding. But except for the combat, which is totally mediocre, I think it is pretty good. The towers are well designed (especially later ones), boss battles are usually fun and the story has some high points. Not one of the best Wii games, but I think it deserves a shot.

Mdk7

The game delivers, definitely.
It's something unique, twisted and obscure... something really, really far from the usual Nintendo tropes.

Mdk7

I beat the sixth tower yesterday, the game keeps delivering.
Apart from the sick and charming atmosphere, i particularly enjoy the boss fights.
Yesterday that fucking
leaf cobra
really gave me a hard time, but when i ripped his heart from his chest it felt so great.

Meanwhile, Elena's behavior is getting more and more alarming
fuck, she deeply enjoys eating meat now... o_O
It's not gonna end well, Mavda surely's being a bitch.

So, I really like the game, but I'm too lazy to write a full review, so + / - :

+ athmosphere
+ mavda design
+ animated cutsenes after you beat a boss
+ global level design
+ craft /upgrade system
+ notes/optional dialogue to tell the story/lore (kinda similar to demon's souls)
+ day/night infuence
+ affinity / gift system
+ time limit (I effin hate them, but here they're done right)
+ NieR vibe

- Main character bland and generic as hell
- Combat a little too easy / repetitive
- unimpressive for the Wii
- Predictable twists

Gassey

Banned
Those front page reviews are overly harsh. I'm really into this so far, though I can't quite put a finger on why. Glad I picked it up though. Grabbed a special edition from 365games.co.uk.

Yuterald

Did anyone who imported from HMV get their's yet? I'm still waiting here.

I just got mine yesterday. I live in PA too. Yeah, it seemed like it took way longer than my imported Last Story to arrive in the mail. Oh, when I received my package I think they opened the box from HMV and checked its contents too. Everything was removed and sorta repackaged on a a piece of cardboard and then re-taped, all Jerry-rigged-like, lol! Everything was there and in perfect condition, but it was definitely disheartening and confusing when I opened the package.

So, I am now at the start of the 5th tower...and I must say, I think this game has claimed the throne as my new favorite Wii game (Sorry Little King's Story!). I am OBSESSED with the Japanese action game titles from the PS2 era. I don't think I've ever played something this generation that fits the PS2-era criteria more than Pandora's Tower. Sure, I get that this will turn some people off, but for me, this game feels like a cross between Rygar: The Legendary Adventure and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence mixed with all the ideas, elements, and experimentation that the PS2 library was known for.

Not only does this game remind of the action titles we got from the PS2 era, but it also encapsulates the feel/scope of a SNES title. It truly feels like a game that could chill out with the likes of Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia. Pandora's Tower, and everything that it represents, is the kind of game that I truly value. It's games like this that I truly feel are absent this generation and it's a shame.

Anyway, I could go on and on about the actual game itself, but I'll save those impressions for later.

Top Bottom