• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papa John's, Applebee's And Others Pay Huge Price For Anti-Obamacare Politicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Cakes

Applebees was ok, but if given the choice I'll go to Chiles or even better Texas Roadhouse.
Good man.

I actually enjoy some of the casual dining experiences out there. But some are so bland and generic with their food and presentation. I kind of weigh them all on the same scale.

In my experience: Texas Roadhouse > Chili's > Applebee's = The 99 Restaurant = Outback Steakhouse. My experiences at Longhorn and Smokey Bones weren't particularly thrilling either. Something about the first two makes them good enough to re-visit, where with the others I could probably never go to again and I'd be perfectly fine.

And as far as pizza joints are concerned, I had Papa John's one time and didn't really hate it but didn't see a need to order from there again. Chains have basically been outdone by local places for me. Back when I was a kid I'd have Pizza Hut all the time, but I haven't eaten a pizza from there in years. Papa Gino's is still my favorite pizza chain but I don't go out of my way to eat there.

Papa Johns is dead to me forever because of this. Too bad.

Why you'd choose to potentially alienate 52%+ of the country, the working class, and people who like to order pizza, is beyond me.

Yep. I will never order Pizza from there again, fuck him.

I find it fascinating that Schnatter, who had built up his everyman Camaro-loving persona over the years, suddenly went all 1%er with Obamacare. Not a smart business move.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Papa John" lives in a castle, so frankly, fuck him and fuck his shitty pizza establishment for cutting hours instead of cutting his own purse for the sake of his employees. And it seems I'm not alone in that sentiment.

verbum

The only place where people like Denny's is Japan.

I took a driving trip around the midwest USA this past June. I usually ate breakfast at local cafes, good food and under $5 for bacon, eggs, toast or biscuit, and coffee/juice. All in these little river towns driving up along the Mississippi river.
In Missouri, I stopped at a Dennys on the interstate. I got 2 eggs, raisin toast, bacon, and coffee. $9 fucking dollars. Last time I will ever eat there.

Wthermans

Banned
I knew Applebees and Papa Johns were complaining about offering their employees healthcare, didn't know Darden Group was doing the same thing. Guess I am done with Red Lobster as well. I'll miss the Endless Shrimp.

Somnid

Good. Hopefully they refocus their whining and start lobbying the government to pick up the tab instead. Then we can have a real healthcare system.

I knew Applebees and Papa Johns were complaining about offering their employees healthcare, didn't know Darden Group was doing the same thing. Guess I am done with Red Lobster as well. I'll miss the Endless Shrimp.

No, the best way to stick it to Red Lobster is to fast all day and then load up on piles of Endless Shrimp.

I liked Papa John's, but I boycotted after his remarks. Don't politicize my pizza, man.

Schnatter needs to learn to just keep his yap shut. Our family no longer buys Papa John's because of it. And the sad thing his, he's hurting his franchise owners, who might have polar opposite views. But I'm not gonna enable him, if even indirectly.

Cagey

Banned
Correlation and causation errors? There doesn't seem to be actual proof for the claim that the Anti-Obamacare remarks have hurt business beyond relying on logic flaws and bias.

Papa John’s, Applebee’s, and Denny’s were measured with YouGov BrandIndex’s Buzz score, which asks respondents, "If you've heard anything about the brand in the last two weeks, through advertising, news or word of mouth, was it positive or negative?" Results were filtered adults 18+ who have eaten at casual dining restaurants in the past month.

I had heard of the Papa John's political insanity, but knew nothing about Applebee's CEO making statements. Yet, if asked that poll question, I'd answer "in the negative" based on people I know making jokes about eating there because Applebee's is horrible.

The Forbes article -- and the YouGov article, as well -- assume too much.

Correlation and causation errors?

I had heard of the Papa John's political insanity, but knew nothing about Applebee's CEO making statements. Yet, if asked that poll question, I'd answer "in the negative" based on people I know making jokes about eating there because Applebee's is horrible.

The Forbes article -- and the YouGov article, as well -- assume too much.

But the responses to the poll question were dramatically more positive at the beginning of November than they were at the end. That shows that something changed. Unless their food suddenly turned even more shitty overnight, I'd tend to think it was all the bitchin' about Obamacare that turned reactions negative.

Cagey

Banned
But the responses to the poll question were dramatically more positive at the beginning of November than they were at the end. That shows that something changed. Unless their food suddenly turned even more shitty overnight, I'd tend to think it was all the bitchin' about Obamacare that turned reactions negative.

Sure, and the Forbes article claims "X, Y, Z pay huge price for anti-Obamacare politicking".

It's questionable that the above qualifies as paying any sort of price, at the moment, beyond people responding if they had heard negative press/comments in the past few weeks.

Sure, and the Forbes article claims "X, Y, Z pay huge price for anti-Obamacare politicking".

It's questionable that the above qualifies as paying any sort of price, at the moment, beyond people responding if they had heard negative press/comments in the past few weeks.

They paid a huge price in public opinion. That's something corporations care about. Whether it effects their bottom line has yet to be determined.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta admit I did stop buying Papa John's after those statements and the nauseating Romney fundraiser. There are just so many different places to get pizza that it's really easy to avoid that one chain.

Cagey

Banned
They paid a huge price in public opinion. That's something corporations care about. Whether it effects their bottom line has yet to be determined.

No, that's an assumption on your part.

The poll doesn't ask what you think about Papa John's.

Instead, it asked if you heard about Papa John's recently, did you hear positive or negative things.

Based on the data of responses to the latter question, you can't assume the respondent formed a negative opinion. All it tells you is that he or she had heard something negative. A person who hates Obamacare that heard the Papa John's criticism in the news might respond "negative" because the business was criticized on their news channel or website or newspaper of choice... yet might actually like what Papa John's CEO did. Or, more commonly, the person probably didn't care much either way because "lol pizza good"

In short: it proves little about the end result of how the respondent interpreted the new info and if the opinion changed (at all).

Haha, see you later assholes.... and take your disgusting, shitty food with you. The customers you do business with are a privilege that you just took for granted and pissed all over. Next time, remember who's in charge around here you whiny pieces of shit.

Cagey

Banned
So other people saying negative things about your company isn't bad for business?

You are reaching, ma dude.

That's not what I said.

What I said was the YouGov buzz tracker article, the Forbes article hyping it, and the exuberance on this thread about Papa John's getting comeuppance, are relying on a lot of assumptions made to get to the "Papa John's pays price, public opinion plummets" conclusion.

It's a big jump from "a lot more people heard some negative stuff recently and these companies were in the news for Obamacare critiques" to "criticizing Obamacare ruinous to public opinion of these companies"

I'd like for it to be true, but there's not much proven.

way more

That's not what I said.

What I said was the YouGov buzz tracker article, the Forbes article hyping it, and the exuberance on this thread about Papa John's getting comeuppance, are relying on a lot of assumptions made to get to the "Papa John's pays price, public opinion plummets" conclusion.

It's a big jump from "a lot more people heard some negative stuff recently and these companies were in the news for Obamacare critiques" to "criticizing Obamacare ruinous to public opinion of these companies"

I'd like for it to be true, but there's not much proven.

Is it really that big a jump? A set of companies all made the same statement and the same set have lower publicity scores.

y'all ever go to applebee's.. after dark?

Holy shit - blame space is back?!?!

celebrate.gif

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think this is less of a case that consumers were upset about the Obamacare remarks and more about the fact that these chains blatantly claimed that they might screw over their employees. I don't know if they thought they could turn public sentiment against the ACA, but this is something that you don't say to the public (even if they do it all the time).

Applebee's I just go for half price apps, never go to papa john's, but I will still go to olive garden never ending salad/salad bar is my weakness.

jersoc

There's a local pizza place called Ian's here in Madison WI that is pretty popular and has good pizza. Just read an article in a local paper recently about how the owner came out in support of Obamacare in response to Papa John, and subsequently got invited to the White House. Their business is doing great too, just moved to a much nicer, larger location.
http://www.progressive.org/small-business-pizza-owner-sticks-up-for-health-care
That so fucking hard, John?

ians is so goood too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom