• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Stuck in world 2-3:
I think I'm at the bottom of the pyramid/dungeon. I can enter a room with coffins, which I opened, and a spike pit that I can't cross. Where do I go? If exit the room and go left I run into a ledge I can't jump up to. Already found both the baseball bat and magnifying glass.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Haha, I figured out. Damn, this game is bloody brilliant.

Boss design might be one of the weakpoints, which isn't much of an issue for later playthroughs, but practically needing the right stickers is a bit a dick move.

Then again, I primarily don't care much for what I get wrong now, I want to see how well it holds up for playthroughs.

It can be difficult for many to see the forest for the trees, especially when they are intently looking for/hoping for particular types of trees in that forest

zroid

Banned
Boss design might be one of the weakpoints, which isn't much of an issue for later playthroughs, but practically needing the right stickers is a bit a dick move.

Then again, I primarily don't care much for what I get wrong now, I want to see how well it holds up for playthroughs.

The problem is the boss fights are a puzzle whose solutions you don't really get clued into until you engage with them. After that I think it's fair. Of course you may or may not have the required stickers and then you'll be screwed either way.
Although I thought the name of 2-5 was clever but subtle way of cluing you in -- I never picked up on it until starting the fight, however

Right now my plan is to engage and if I don't have the sticker that I think I'll need, just reload from the last save. So yeah, I'm going to make it a point to save immediately before each boss, henceforth. Probably a good idea regardless, lol.

I've been playing for three hours straight since it's been delivered. So good.

It's definitely not a game you can rush through so I can of understand the so-so reviews now. You really have to take your time and fully explore the environment.

But the charm in the game grabbed me from the beginning, much moreso than in SPM where it never felt like the charm ever started.

Roto13

What the sticker shop in 3-6 has a whole second page with stickers I've never seen before

How did I miss this?

EDIT: Augh and the shop in town has more stuff too! How long has this stuff been there?

And where are the levels with shops in them? I don't remember.

terrisus

I think the main thing I'm having trouble figuring out (just nearing the end of the first world), is what the point of getting in battles is.

To clarify, in traditional RPGs, I love grinding, just fighting battle after battle to gain experience and get stronger and such.

In this game though, it seems just as advantageous to avoid battles as to get into them. I mean, sure, you get some coins/stickers from battle, but, I have more coins than I know what to do with, and 3 pages full of stickers (and of course getting in battles uses some of them up anyway).

I feel like I'm missing something... But, while normally I would be getting in every battle I had a chance to, so far in this game, the more I play the more I feel like I should just be avoiding battles and making my way through the stages.

Not that I'm not enjoying the game, just trying to figure that bit of thing out.

I think the main thing I'm having trouble figuring out (just nearing the end of the first world), is what the point of getting in battles is.

To clarify, in traditional RPGs, I love grinding, just fighting battle after battle to gain experience and get stronger and such.

In this game though, it seems just as advantageous to avoid battles as to get into them. I mean, sure, you get some coins/stickers from battle, but, I have more coins than I know what to do with, and 3 pages full of stickers (and of course getting in battles uses some of them up anyway).

I feel like I'm missing something... But, while normally I would be getting in every battle I had a chance to, so far in this game, the more I play the more I feel like I should just be avoiding battles and making my way through the stages.

Not that I'm not enjoying the game, just trying to figure that bit of thing out.

Battles still have a point because they influence the amount of coins you get at the end of a stage. You may have coins now, but what's to say they will still be there in the future? Whole point is basically expend expend expend, but don't expend too much. Stop being frugal over stickers, they're easy to get back.

Ketch

So just waited in line for an hour to get this at gamestop. Forgot it was black ops day. Had to stay anyway because I was making trades... which means I had to show my ID.

So let me paint the picture: A line of 14 year old boys buying Black Ops 2 with their Mom's ID cards... and then me, 28 year old "grown man", shaved head, full beard, showing my military ID to buy Paper Mario.

The irony was palpable.

zroid

Banned
To be able to enjoy this game fully, you really just need to come to terms with the fact that it's not a grindy RPG. It's barely an RPG at all.

It's not really prudent to skip every battle, but the game certainly does not actively penalize you for avoiding them.

terrisus

Battles still have a point because they influence the amount of coins you get at the end of a stage. You may have coins now, but what's to say they will still be there in the future? Whole point is basically expend expend expend, but don't expend too much. Stop being frugal over stickers, they're easy to get back.

Ah, hadn't realized they influenced how many coins drop at the end of the stage. That makes sense I guess, and at least provides some reason to do more battles.

And, I get what you're saying, and obviously I'm only in the first world. Just, I kind of feel blah with having all these coins sitting around and feeling like I don't even need to spend them since I have more stickers than I know what to do with.

-Stranger-

So just waited in line for an hour to get this at gamestop. Forgot it was black ops day. Had to stay anyway because I was making trades... which means I had to show my ID.

So let me paint the picture: A line of 14 year old boys buying Black Ops 2 with their Mom's ID cards... and then me, 28 year old "grown man", shaved head, full beard, showing my military ID to buy Paper Mario.

The irony was palpable.

lol that's hilarious!

I'm at 1-6 so far, and I've seen what looks like a few faded-out "doors" in some earlier levels. Am I right in assuming that I can't do anything with these yet, but that I should remember where they are because I'll come back later with door stickers or something?

I'm at 1-6 so far, and I've seen what looks like a few faded-out "doors" in some earlier levels. Am I right in assuming that I can't do anything with these yet, but that I should remember where they are because I'll come back later with door stickers or something?

Yes. As far as I can tell, only 1 door sticker is necessary, and you get it in the very same level you get the door stickers.

Beat the first world and am making my way through the second. The music and graphics are still blowing me away. I loved the music that played when the air force paratroopas appeared, and the cardboard Yoshi Sphinx looked amazing. I am really enjoying exploring every nook and cranny, and stumbling on to secrets.

The only puzzle that has given me trouble so far was the password inside the windmill. I didn't think that the phrase the Toad told me was important and forgot it.

Ghost23

I have some games to trade-in at Gamestop to get this game for free, but I would prefer to have a digital copy. Does Gamestop sell digital copies as well?

Yes. As far as I can tell, only 1 door sticker is necessary, and you get it in the very same level you get the door stickers.

Yikes, each door sticker is found in the same level as its door? I've missed every single one so far, then. I'm guessing they must be in invisible blocks or something, then?

My copy finally arrived.. I played up to 1-3 and I'm having a blast..the sticker system works out pretty nicely after all. Very pleased :)

Kamek

The irony was palpable.

lol, hilarious!

Gartooth

I did a crazy turn around on this game, when I first started it I didn't like the changes, but I have actually come to really love this game! (originally I thought the world was small, didn't like the lack of story, and thought the battle system wouldn't hold, but thankfully it seems like I was wrong on all three accounts.)

Currently on world 3, and I can't believe how much longer it is compared to the first two worlds. Also almost died of laughter on the
Snifit or Whiffit game show level.

Hobby

Level design and the puzzles in this are just nuts. Absolute peak of the series. Too bad the combat without badges and character progression is super dull outside of the boss battles. I feel like I can skip the majority of battles, and the excess amount of coins given at the end of each stage makes combat near worthless.

clemenx

Banned
Whoa, the whole turnaround about this game by most of you guys have got me thinking. I was going to buy Code of Princess this week and Paper Mario later but I'm not sure now >.<

zroid

Banned
I feel like I can skip the majority of battles, and the excess amount of coins given at the end of each stage makes combat near worthless.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe the amount of coins you're awarded at the end of each level is somehow tied to your performance and/or involvement in battles.

Top Bottom