• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

zroid

Banned
How's the 3D effect? In theory it should work well with the artstyle but from the 3D trailer I watched a while back, it appeared too subtle.

The trailers are never good for weighing 3D intensity (only how it's used), since the depth is fixed and they usually keep it relatively low.

Roto13

Yeah, guys, definitely go back and explore world 3
after you clean up the poison. I'm not done going over it again yet and I've found two HP-Up Hearts and three Things.

Oh yeah, there's a Thing and HP Up in 5-1 and it's pretty clever at being hidden. Just pay attention to the background to notice anything off.

Yuterald

I feel like I shouldn't be where I'm at right now in this game, lol! I just got access to World 4 & 5, but I haven't even finished World 3. I felt like I've scoured the shit out of all the available stages in World 3, but I cannot figure out how to get to the other levels. I know WHAT I have to do, but I don't know how. I really don't want to look up the solution though because I know I'll regret it. Half the fun with these games is figuring shit out and solving the puzzles/riddles on your own. I can't make any progress in 4-1, but I've completed 5-1. Meanwhile...
that fucking strike lane! Why doesn't the billiard ball knock down those pins!
I guess it's back to combing World 3 until I figure this shit out! =/

Yuterald

Damn, stuck on the World 2-5 boss,
I'm supposed to use the Baseball Bar and Soda, right? What am I missing, he keeps kicking my ass.

I somehow figured this out on my own, but...
Wait until the boss grows itself bigger. The taller he is the more damage you do with the bat.

zroid

Banned
Somehow against the 2-5 boss I
used the bat on the first turn (when it was just one segment tall) and still beat it without too much trouble, lol. The fact that I crumpled it twice with 3x POW matches on the spinner may have played a role in that. :p

Probably been answered before but I know there's back tracking but should I be doing "foreward" tracking? I can't figure out the first worlds castle or (1-4)
the windmill number puzzle.
Should I be playing through levels in world 2 and 3 for solutions to World 1 stuff? I did play through 2-1 but it seemed hard so I wasn't sure if I did it too soon. Kind of tempted to just start going through world 3.

Yuterald

Yup, I was just coming to post that I had I figured it out. I was swinging too early, but he's down now!

Yeah, I messed up this fight the first few times too. I knew what sticker to use, but I didn't think the timing would have been even more so important. The more bosses I've seen it definitely looks like you HAVE to use a particular sticker to defeat them. I wonder if any post World 2 bosses can be defeated by endurance. The first boss is the only one I've beaten without having to resort to "that" sticker. I actually like the whole puzzle or "key" aspect to these boss battles. While it's definitely more deliberate and fixed, the boss encounters end up feeling more unique and special. I guess it's just a nice change of pace instead of the typical "Who can outdo each others numbers first" routine. I wouldn't want all games/RPGs to be like this, but it works for a Mario game/RPG. I do see now why some critics or other people might be bothered by this though.

Anyway, I picked up on a few more things: I don't think they are very spoiler-ish so here we go!

1. I've noticed I can kill early/weaker enemies with either a jump or a swing of the hammer. In previous Paper Mario titles badges would dictate these advantages. Does anyone know what's dictating it in Sticker Star? I'm guess it's your HP value? I mean, what other stats could have an influence on this? There's just HP! Definitely some hidden variables going on here...

2. Another old school Paper Mario thing I've picked up on is reading the backs of signs. Having played TTYD recently, there were definitely a sign or two which displayed hidden messages on the back of signs. I've yet to discover any sign with writing on its backside, but I'm SURE there's one! Keep an eye out on that shit!

Probably been answered before but I know there's back tracking but should I be doing "foreward" tracking? I can't figure out the first worlds castle or (1-4)
Should I be playing through levels in world 2 and 3 for solutions to World 1 stuff? I did play through 2-1 but it seemed hard so I wasn't sure if I did it too soon. Kind of tempted to just start going through world 3.
You don't need to start the other worlds, the answers to those levels can be found within the levels.

Make sure that you explored everywhere and helped everyone (hint) before you give up.

Edit: And don't forget to paperize if you get stuck somewhere
I sure did :|

zroid

Banned

Nope, you're good! Also
you're going to find yourself at an impasse if you start world 3 right now.

Did you read the hint 2-4?
Go to the top of the quicksand hill (the area before the pyramid) where the re-spawning pokeys are in 2-1. There should be a spot where you can jump south where you'll find two striped cacti. You can safely fall through the quicksand in between them to get to a secret area.

Oh man, crazy! Thanks.

Mileena

Banned
Funny, this is how I thought I'd feel prior to playing them game.

Can you elaborate what makes you feel this way?

It's just not Paper Mario at all. Instead of being an RPG it's this boring sticker fake platformer shit that I just can't stand. I never played the Wii one but I hear it's terrible so I guess this shouldn't surprise me?

I've been trying to enjoy it since it came out Sunday but I just can't. It's a bad game, oh well :(

Roto13

It's just not Paper Mario at all. Instead of being an RPG it's this boring sticker fake platformer shit that I just can't stand. I never played the Wii one but I hear it's terrible so I guess this shouldn't surprise me?

I've been trying to enjoy it since it came out Sunday but I just can't. It's a bad game, oh well :(

I guess this thread is full of people enjoying the crap out of a bad game, then.

You don't have to like it if grinding is the reason you play RPGs or whatever, but it's absolutely not a bad game.

It's not a bad game. You just don't like it. I personally love it and hope we get more "sticker" games.

Good game design yo.

Finished up World 5, Boss 5 was pretty easy
You don't need a Thing for Petey
. Odd difficulty curve where it initially implies you need the right stuff or you're fucked and then it's like yeah sure whatever. It's time to face the cause of this destruction of all things good and KG..... after I throw doors around to finish my museum.

I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it but I respect it.

I was mostly in the minority about SPM when it launched although with time my fellow haters came out of the woodwork so I know how it feels to not enjoy a game that everyone else seems to like.

You just may not be in the right frame of mind for it, as some of the reviewers clearly weren't, but maybe someday you'll want to give it another chance.

I gave SPM another chance just recently to see if maybe I just judged it too harshly back then

... nope, it still sucks :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am rather put off by some review points about this game. Like the inventory being the only means of battle and needing to click through 8 pages to find the appropriate item for the task and the overall simplified battle system.

No RPG elements at all are rather offputting as well, though I loved every entry in the series before.

Might I still enjoy this or should I stay clear?

Some objectivity would be appreciated.

Well, I managed to glitch the game. Actually, I've come across a few possible glitches, but I had a major one last night. Basically, Mario went into noclip mode. I could walk through enemies and trees. I could jump through HP blocks and hard blocks without doing anything. I could jump through the star goal and it could do nothing. Enemies could see me and would have an exclamation point appear but would run circles around me and couldn't start a battle. I could walk through
rolling snow boulders
and nothing would happen. Leaving the room the way I came caused everything to...go back to normal...maybe? I've had weird things happen since that I'm not sure are glitches or not.

I have pictures, and I also have video but I haven't uploaded it yet. Wondering if I can post any of the pictures, though, since I don't want to spoil the world for anybody. If you guys think it's okay, I'll show them though.

I am rather put off by some review points about this game. Like the inventory being the only means of battle and needing to click through 8 pages to find the appropriate item for the task and the overall simplified battle system.

No RPG elements at all are rather offputting as well, though I loved every entry in the series before.

Might I still enjoy this or should I stay clear?

Some objectivity would be appreciated.
That's really difficult to say. It's not for lovers of the RPGs or SPM as it's not like any of those games. Someone said it's like RE mixed with PM and I kind of agree with that assessment.

The game focuses heavily on item management and exploration, you can run or choose to fight enemies (but battles are enjoyable to me) and you're going to do a lot of backtracking.

If those things don't sound fun to you or you don't have OCD or you aren't into jazzy PM music then the game may not be for you.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Hey guys for real though, is this worth a buy? I might download it digitally

I was really discouraged by the early reviews, but bought it anyway. I'm absolutely loving it, and haven't been stuck once.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That's really difficult to say. It's not for lovers of the RPGs or SPM as it's not like any of those games. Someone said it's like RE mixed with PM and I kind of agree with that assessment.

The game focuses heavily on item management and exploration, you can run or choose to fight enemies (but battles are enjoyable to me) and you're going to do a lot of backtracking.

If those things don't sound fun to you or you don't have OCD or you aren't into jazzy PM music then the game may not be for you.

Hm.. too bad Ninty games never get any cheaper. I'll probably skip based on what I am hearing. Out of curiousity though, what do you like more about this game than previous iterations?

Roto13

Well, I managed to glitch the game. Actually, I've come across a few possible glitches, but I had a major one last night. Basically, Mario went into noclip mode. I could walk through enemies and trees. I could jump through HP blocks and hard blocks without doing anything. I could jump through the star goal and it could do nothing. Enemies could see me and would have an exclamation point appear but would run circles around me and couldn't start a battle. I could walk through
rolling snow boulders
and nothing would happen. Leaving the room the way I came caused everything to...go back to normal...maybe? I've had weird things happen since that I'm not sure are glitches or not.

I have pictures, and I also have video but I haven't uploaded it yet. Wondering if I can post any of the pictures, though, since I don't want to spoil the world for anybody. If you guys think it's okay, I'll show them though.

That's really weird. I haven't run into any glitches at all. Nothing less polished than some slowdown during one boss fight.

You can just link to the pictures if they're too spoilery to embed.

That's really weird. I haven't run into any glitches at all. Nothing less polished than some slowdown during one boss fight.

You can just link to the pictures if they're too spoilery to embed.

They're not spoilery....I just don't want to take any chances on showing second half of the game images. But here's the images in links.

http://i.imgur.com/mMI4x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ioBNX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oIwjp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KQalb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/L6dhP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K0aOa.jpg

I have video in more detail showing literally everything that glitched, but I need to put the videos together and upload them, because I took them with a camera. The pics aren't the best I could take, but they show some of it.

Hm.. too bad Ninty games never get any cheaper. I'll probably skip based on what I am hearing. Out of curiousity though, what do you like more about this game than previous iterations?
Well as I've stated repeatedly (and I'll wear a t-shirt that says it if anyone's selling) I hated SPM. Hated it. I really enjoyed both of the RPGs so I was very discouraged to hear that this game was another departure from the RPG games like SPM was.

The thing is though is that PM:SS doesn't try to do any of the silly things IntSys tried to do with SPM that they aren't good at (like platforming design and physics) and instead focuses on creating charming environments for you to explore and filling them with secrets to find.

The presentation is just filled with well thought out ideas and very clever ways to make the level exploration engaging. The whole package has been really satisfying and though I expect to be frustrated by some of the puzzles (I already have been) overall the only real complaint about them is the complete lack of any handholding whatsoever which is hard to complain about since we've been asking Nintendo to do that since forever.

Great game.

Beats

It's been a while since I played TTYD and SPM, but I'd say the paper graphics style and feel is better in this game.

Also going to state that you don't even need to compare SPM to other Paper Marios to judge if it was a bad game with some bad design problems, you shouldn't even need to compare games to begin with in order to establish if it's bad. If it's bad on its own merits, it's bad.

In any case, Sticker Star is pretty damn good for its merits, it actually has some design choices that I would like to see for future games, be it Paper Mario or anything else really.

I think at this point, since only half of the Paper Mario games are RPGs, I don't think it's reasonable to expect PM to be RPG only now.

What's up with the lack of impressions? The thread is moving so slow. Where's Amirox? I hope this game does not bomb :(

Read the thread, it's basically one giant impressions topic.

I'm probably going to write a review in the Games Recommendation topic later on.

Prinny

I only finished the first world so far but I think this might actually beat KI as my 3DS GOTY.

It's much better than SPM, fortunately.

Top Bottom