• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

whaty_zps131ab938.gif

LMAO!

My Paper Mario should arrive today.. I can't wait! It looks so beautiful..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How's the pacing? Does the game keep itself interesting without devolving to lengthy fetch quests and monotonous treasure hunts? I never finished Super Paper Mario for this reason. Liked it, but it dragged too long for my liking.

Yuterald

I've arrived at a question/concern regarding the Sticker Museum. I just realized that I never added the Bomb sticker to the Museum. Now that the first world is completed, bombs have stopped dropping in that boss stage. Just to ease my OCD-like concerns, do the bombs return at some point later on in the game (I'm assuming they do)? That would be pretty barf-y if those were a one-time sticker. =/

EDIT: Nevermind. I just asked the same question at GameFaqs and the bombs apparently reappear in a few different places. We're all good here!

Yuterald

Where is this museum people are talking about? I've finished World 1 and not run into it.

It's actually quite well hidden. I found it by accident, actually. Go to the town square in Decalburg (the first screen with the Shop). Paperize near a toad who's concerned/frightened by something...

zroid

Banned
2-4:
I wonder if this is a level that some reviewers were getting stuck on? I thought the clues provided for both puzzles were pretty clever, especially ending the sandstorm. That power outlet! lol. I admit though, I tried the jackhammer before the vacuum, although mainly because I already had the jackhammer sticker in my book.

Some of the early levels are like entire games by themselves. 2-1 and 2-3 are massive levels that took up 30-40 minutes of time just to explore every nook and cranny for stickers and secret rooms. I haven't even found the goal for 2-3 yet. I've played for a total of 5.5 hours so far.

It's going to take a long while...

pulga

Banned
Stuck in 2-1
so where the hell do I get a Poison Mushroom? I've thrown away like 2, including the one that rat Toad bastard sells you behind the house for 200 coins.

I find that the more time you spend exploring the more fun you will have with this game. Rushing through is probably what reviewers did. Take your time, hit every bald spot on the ground, every tree, knock over every bush and peel every sticker.

The museum is really nice too and I take every new sticker there first.

zroid

Banned
Haha I beat the World 2 boss. It wasn't that hard, actually. :p

I used the bat and a couple fancy slaphammers but that b Kersti still nags. WHAT MUST I DO TO PLEASE YOU

Just checked and I used one page worth of stickers, including the bat. CMON MAN

Kind of stuck.

How do I get
the pipe piece in the underground area?

Step 1... save the toad

My copy from NewEgg is out for delivery.

Based on the impressions I'm reading here it looks like I'll be eating some serious crow, and it will never be more delicious!

Dr.Hadji

gamesTM said:
And so it sits, non-committal in the extreme, on the fence between the two, attempting to bridge the divide between platforming and role-playing, yet oblivious to the fact that series like Kingdom Hearts and even Nintendo’s own Zelda franchise have already done so with far more confidence.

I don't even. What is with this sentence. I mean wow. And how can people not manage their stickers?

Yuterald

Haha I beat the World 2 boss. It wasn't that hard, actually. :p

I used the bat and a couple fancy slaphammers but that b Kersti still nags. WHAT MUST I DO TO PLEASE YOU

Just checked and I used one page worth of stickers, including the bat. CMON MAN

Save the toad

I'm not sure if you picked up on this, but...World 2 boss spoilers...
The larger/taller the boss becomes the more damage you can do with your Bat. I spun my bonus reel and got 2 matches. I used the Frog Suit (which increases the attack power of the following sticker) followed by the Bat and I got him down to like 35 HP in ONE TURN!

I actually really like how you need to incorporate particular stickers for boss battles. =D

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure if you picked up on this, but...World 2 boss spoilers...
The larger/taller the boss becomes the more damage you can do with your Bat. I spun my bonus reel and got 2 matches. I used the Frog Suit (which increases the attack power of the following sticker) followed by the Bat and I got him down to like 35 HP in ONE TURN!

I actually really like how you need to incorporate particular stickers for boss battles. =D

oh dang, that's crazy

How's the pacing? Does the game keep itself interesting without devolving to lengthy fetch quests and monotonous treasure hunts? I never finished Super Paper Mario for this reason. Liked it, but it dragged too long for my liking.

Although a big part of the game involves finding and using specific stickers at the right times, I wouldn't really call it fetch questy. The game very rarely requires you to go back to places you've been just to retrieve items, and if you don't happen to have an item you need at any time, you CAN go back to get it, or just spend some coin and get it fast. In that sense, the pacing is fine.

I think where problems may lie is if you aren't exploring thoroughly and outright miss certain stickers which you end up needing later. This is evidently what happened to a lot of reviewers, and I can understand how that might be frustrating and bog the player down.

DSGamer

Neo Member
How does this game look on the OG 3DS? I'm considering buying a 3DS to replace my DS Lite and play this game (and later Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing). Does this look fine on the original 3DS or do most people prefer the bigger screen for detail, etc.?

Also, did anyone else play Bowser's Inside Story? Is there any reason I shouldn't just pick up BIS for my DS Lite instead?

Stuck on a puzzle in 2-1/2-4.
The sign in 2-4 tells you to jump into the quicksand between the two cacti, but every time I do, I die. D:

zroid

Banned
Stuck on a puzzle in 2-1/2-4.
The sign in 2-4 tells you to jump into the quicksand between the two cacti, but every time I do, I die. D:

you need to fall off the cliff, not just sink to your doom :p

Another question. Does Paper Mario: Sticker Star use the D-Pad or Circle Pad for movement?

Circle Pad. I actually don't even think the d-pad does anything. I instinctively try to use it to navigate the world map but it doesn't work.

So, World 2-2...
what do I need to progress in the Sphinx? The first room with the unlit candle and a Dry Bones must have some to trick to it. What am I missing?

Top Bottom