• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Level design and the puzzles in this are just nuts. Absolute peak of the series. Too bad the combat without badges and character progression is super dull outside of the boss battles. I feel like I can skip the majority of battles, and the excess amount of coins given at the end of each stage makes combat near worthless.

The irony of your statement is that you're calling the combat worthless and yet you pretty much proved yourself wrong.

Beats

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe the amount of coins you're awarded at the end of each level is somehow tied to your performance and/or involvement in battles.

Just tried this. I went through 3-4 without fighting a single enemy and got 3 coins at the end. Second time I fought around 8 battles and got 83 coins from the bonus at the end.

zroid

Banned
Just tried this. I went through 3-4 without fighting a single enemy and got 3 coins at the end. Second time I fought around 8 battles and got 83 coins from the bonus at the end.

Interesting. So seemingly 10 coins per battle in this instance. I wonder if there is some additional variability, such as how many perfect bonuses you achieve, etc.

Interesting. So seemingly 10 coins per battle in this instance. I wonder if there is some additional variability, such as how many perfect bonuses you achieve, etc.

Perfect bonuses do give extra coins, but it gives them to you immediately. It's also influenced by how many coins each enemie gives you. Shiny Goombas for example, are worth a shitton of cash, and there's a lot of em in 4-1 and 4-2 to a lesser extent.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Level 2-3 was long, but I see I still have an alternate exit left...

When I got to the end, I noticed I hit that little...lever...looking thing that sent me in one direction. It looks like the other way leads to a different door, whereas I went through the door and across the spike-pit. Do I simply need to re-play the level and get to that part again, where the lever will send me in the opposite direction?

Also, is there any Jump Upgrades? I've seen some blocks that don't seem to have any logical way of reaching them, even with Stickerization.

Halp.

I believe I'm in level 3-2 or maybe 3-3. (The level that wiggler's first part runs off to.) The level with the poison moat like thing. I've saved wiggler's first body part. I still can't reach the other comet piece or the other shiny thing. How to I get over to it? And where might I find Wiggler's second body part?

Derp. Nevermind. I figured it out.

Level 2-3 was long, but I see I still have an alternate exit left...

When I got to the end, I noticed I hit that little...lever...looking thing that sent me in one direction. It looks like the other way leads to a different door, whereas I went through the door and across the spike-pit. Do I simply need to re-play the level and get to that part again, where the lever will send me in the opposite direction?

Also, is there any Jump Upgrades? I've seen some blocks that don't seem to have any logical way of reaching them, even with Stickerization.

Regarding 2-3, yup, you've figured it out!

zroid

Banned

If you're referring to that block in 2-3 by some coffins that's just a bit too high to reach...
there's actually a hidden block below it you can hammer

Halp.

I believe I'm in level 3-2 or maybe 3-3. (The level that wiggler's first part runs off to.) The level with the poison moat like thing. I've saved wiggler's first body part. I still can't reach the other comet piece or the other shiny thing. How to I get over to it? And where might I find Wiggler's second body part?

There's two leaves you can hit in order to progress, it's on the other side of the river. Just ride the leaf

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyway, game's definitely fun...even though I don't have to battle, I still find myself somewhat drawn to battling most of the enemies I come across.

Really wanna see where IS takes the series now, as I think this game proves they don't need to necessarily make a TTYD 2 (although that wouldn't be a bad thing) to churn out a great Paper Mario game. I'm tempted to say I'd love for them to mix Fire Emblem and Paper Mario together, gameplay-wise.

Picking this up this weekend, I'm gonna be on an 8-hour bus ride this weekend so I figure what better way to spend it then playing a brand new game?

Very excited, it looks great and my expectations are set for me to take it as its own thing, separate from the last 3 games (Especially TTYD). It looks like it has its own sense of style to it and I'm willing to accept that.

One thing though, they better cook up a Paper Mario game on the Wii U using graphics that replicate the promotional art. It's gorgeous and I'd LOVE to play a Paper Mario game that looked like it. Hell, recreate the original two with no gameplay changes and release it as the "Paper Mario Anniversary Collection" for $50 and I'll buy it.

This is really neat. It isn't exactly what I expected from Paper Mario. I'm not sure it's better but it's different and I'm OK with that.

squid

Hmm... the glowingly positive impressions from this thread are making me excited for this game... but on the other hand I'm pretty hesitant about what I saw in trailers/previews, etc and then I saw the reviews, which haven't helped.

I understand them wanting to stay fresh, and not become stale as a series, but TTYD kept it fresh to a degree, just in a different way: Level design. E.g, the Glitz Pit chapter; a constant stream of battles getting harder and harder, while working on a mystery. Also, Excess Express chapter; Pretty much NO battles (besides that small dungeon midway through), lots of talking to people, finding information, etc. Of course, that's only 2 chapters, but they were by far my favourite chapters in the game. Why not keep things fresh by bringing in new, interesting concepts in level design, like those 2 chapters?

I don't quite understand why IntSystems feel they need to completely shake up the gameplay mechanics with new entries. I suppose being on a handheld makes certain changes necessary.

Eh, I'll be buying it Day 1 no matter what, since it's a Paper Mario game (have to wait until December unfortunately). Hopefully I end up liking it more than Super Paper Mario.

Eh, I'll be buying it Day 1 no matter what, since it's a Paper Mario game (have to wait until December unfortunately). Hopefully I end up liking it more than Super Paper Mario.

So far I've been liking this game more than SPM, but I'm not really all that far along yet.

CrisKre

In Bafflewood:
The Wiggler segment reacted strangely to the dandelion flower before I left the level...is there something I can do there?

No, but if you do that and take it to the shy guy jacuzzi, when you go back to its house the diary over the table will have additions describing its experiences.

CrisKre

Hmm... the glowingly positive impressions from this thread are making me excited for this game... but on the other hand I'm pretty hesitant about what I saw in trailers/previews, etc and then I saw the reviews, which haven't helped.

I understand them wanting to stay fresh, and not become stale as a series, but TTYD kept it fresh to a degree, just in a different way: Level design. E.g, the Glitz Pit chapter; a constant stream of battles getting harder and harder, while working on a mystery. Also, Excess Express chapter; Pretty much NO battles (besides that small dungeon midway through), lots of talking to people, finding information, etc. Of course, that's only 2 chapters, but they were by far my favourite chapters in the game. Why not keep things fresh by bringing in new, interesting concepts in level design, like those 2 chapters?

I don't quite understand why IntSystems feel they need to completely shake up the gameplay mechanics with new entries. I suppose being on a handheld makes certain changes necessary.

The variety in levels is there in spades here. Even more so than in TTYD.

squid

So far I've been liking this game more than SPM, but I'm not really all that far along yet.

The variety in levels is there in spades here. Even more so than in TTYD.

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised with the changes in game mechanics.

Also, that interview with the guys from IS was interesting. Hope they get to work on a WiiU Paper Mario ASAP!

tornjaw

Stumped again.

World 4-3

Where do I put the Big Wall piece?

How do I fight the ghost behind the glass?

Much like the last time I needed help, I'm sure I'm going to kick myself.

Soloist

Neo Member
Stumped again.

World 4-3

Where do I put the Big Wall piece?

How do I fight the ghost behind the glass?

Much like the last time I needed help, I'm sure I'm going to kick myself.

The wall piece goes to the room next door because the walls are swapped.

For that boo, smack the top window in the left hallway.

Fabrik

Banned
So just waited in line for an hour to get this at gamestop. Forgot it was black ops day. Had to stay anyway because I was making trades... which means I had to show my ID.

So let me paint the picture: A line of 14 year old boys buying Black Ops 2 with their Mom's ID cards... and then me, 28 year old "grown man", shaved head, full beard, showing my military ID to buy Paper Mario.

The irony was palpable.

lol. Nice anecdote.

OK I am loving this game. Although I am only at the very beginning, and had to go into sleep mode because it was 2:30 in morning and was getting tired as hell. I dunno where that last toad is but I will find him after class today.

-Graphics are very pleasing and colorful.
-Music has this style I haven't heard in a game before. Seasame street-like? I dunno lol
-It feels kind of like an adventure game. Some of the hidden toads are racking my brain.
-Every dialog message makes me smile so far.
-Bashing everything and anything with a hammer is fun.

And I haven't even gotten into combat yet. Can't wait to dig in some more. It's stuff like this that makes me honestly believe Nintendo makes some of the best games out there.

antispin

So stuck at 2-5 or the boss level of world 2
put together the pieces to unfold the sand castle; there is a door needed within, after you unlock the egyptian door with the hammer and shoe stickers... where do you find it?

Wow, game just crashed the system.

zroid

Banned
So stuck at 2-5 or the boss level of world 2
put together the pieces to unfold the sand castle; there is a door needed within, after you unlock the egyptian door with the hammer and shoe stickers... where do you find it?

I'm not sure I follow... doesn't the
door open immediately when you put the stickers on it?
Or am I misunderstanding.

antispin

I'm not sure I follow... doesn't the
door open immediately when you put the stickers on it?
Or am I misunderstanding.

That one did, then
you get to that elevator and head up, there is another purple-thingy to stick a door sticker on, after you traverse some sand with spikes. I don't have this door's sticker. Where do you find it?

I don't think that there was anyone in this thread who had lower expectaions of this game than me based on my dislike of what IntSys did with SPM but I love PM:SS.

I had to force myself to put it down last night so I'm comfortable in saying that I was completely wrong to be so negative without giving it a try first. It's very different than the PMRPGs but they've found a balance between the RPGs and SPM that just works on multiple levels and is so perfectly suited to the 3DS that it might be its best game so far.

zroid

Banned
That one did, then
you get to that elevator and head up, there is another purple-thingy to stick a door sticker on, after you traverse some sand with spikes. I don't have this door's sticker. Where do you find it?

Well I'm pretty sure everything you need to progress is there. Not necessarily on the same floor, however.

Beats

2-1
I am trying to find the last table piece, where is the scrap there?

Did you read the hint 2-4?
Go to the top of the quicksand hill (the area before the pyramid) where the re-spawning pokeys are in 2-1. There should be a spot where you can jump south where you'll find two striped cacti. You can safely fall through the quicksand in between them to get to a secret area.

Ydahs

How's the 3D effect? In theory it should work well with the artstyle but from the 3D trailer I watched a while back, it appeared too subtle.

Roto13

Just beat world for and
returned to 3-1 and it was completely clean. No poison. I assume it's been like that since I finished it. Found an HP heart thing so now I have to explore all those damn levels again. :p

Did Levels 5-1 and 5-2 last night.

First level had a bit of BS, I couldn't figure out the right way to get past the rafflesia on the furthest right room of the comet piece
so I abused the geometry and jumped on from there
because that's how I roll.

Gartooth

Nevermind, I'm dumb. Can't believe all I had to do was
run up to him when the face changed to Boo, I kept trying to see if I could hammer the portrait down or paperize it or something. :p

Top Bottom