• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Boney

Banned
So got this yesterday, and I'm supposed to fix this boat, got the wheel but now I need to cut the rope, problem is, I no longer have the scissors sticker, what am I supposed to doooo

So got this yesterday, and I'm supposed to fix this boat, got the wheel but now I need to cut the rope, problem is, I no longer have the scissors sticker, what am I supposed to doooo

You can rebuy Things you've owned before in Decalburg. Or, if you don't want to pay, you can simply go back to where you originally found the Thing, and it will have respawned.

Boney

Banned
You can rebuy Things you've owned before in Decalburg. Or, if you don't want to pay, you can simply go back to where you originally found the Thing, and it will have respawned.

I can? On the shop? cause there's only the standard stickers there

ohhh wait secret door is now functional

thxxx

also, what's the deal with bosses, the giant goomba thing just wouldn't die

I can? On the shop? cause there's only the standard stickers there

To the left of the main plaza, there's an area where you can use Things you've found and turn them into stickers. Keep going left from there and there's a shop where you can buy them back.

Seda

I beat this yesterday.

It's my least favorite Paper Mario game :/

I didn't really like the sticker system. I've been sitting here at the post reply box trying to articulate why I didn't enjoy it, but I'm struggling to do so. It just didn't click with me.

Great music though.

zroid

Banned
also, what's the deal with bosses, the giant goomba thing just wouldn't die

The bosses all have weaknesses you're supposed to exploit (with thing stickers, generally). Goomba's is
the fan, if you use it when the individual goombas are flapping about

Boney

Banned
The bosses all have weaknesses you're supposed to exploit (with thing stickers, generally). Goomba's is
the fan, if you use it when the individual goombas are flapping about

this stupid
cheep cheep
just recovered full!!

aaaaaaa

thanks for bitching about Skyward Sword guysss

hmm I need a hook it seems

m0t0k1

this stupid
cheep cheep
just recovered full!!

aaaaaaa

thanks for bitching about Skyward Sword guysss

hmm I need a hook it seems

you can find
the hook in level 3-6 using a door

I still need to find the treasure chests in world 2 only found the piece in the yoshi sphinx. I love the fact that you can just march on without completing a world. When you get stuck you can always come back later and continue your game. I did some parts of world 3 and 4 now. but taking it slowly

The Cheepcheep is easy.
Use the fishing hook to get him out of the water. When he is inflating use the push pin on him and it'll one hit KO him.

Boney

Banned
Seems I'm getting ahead of myself as I've yet to beat the world 2 teehee.

and I've been going in circles, aaa this stupid sandstorm!

m0t0k1

The Cheepcheep is easy.
Use the fishing hook to get him out of the water. When he is inflating use the push pin on him and it'll one hit KO him.

I wasted my cat-o-luck on the fish if only i knew this before fighting him :p Thanks for the tip will try this on a second play through.

zroid

Banned
The Cheepcheep is easy.

damn, didn't know about that second part!

I have a love/hate relationship with these bosses, lol. I didn't have too much trouble though,
fish hook made it easy enough

I like it so far. Loved TYD and didn't really like SPM so there's that. It feels really suited for handheld play - didn't think they could pull that off. Humour is good but used rather sparsely.

I beat this yesterday.

It's my least favorite Paper Mario game :/

I didn't really like the sticker system. I've been sitting here at the post reply box trying to articulate why I didn't enjoy it, but I'm struggling to do so. It just didn't click with me.

Great music though.

I must say that I feel the exact opposite. The last time I had this much fun with Paper Mario was on the N64 and the original game. I felt the Sticker system was a more fun way to play than using traditional RPG mechanics, though I do wish there were members in your party.

Though I must reiterate what yous said in your post, it has superb music!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just got the e-mail from NoE.
Despite not registering the game until the afternoon, I have won the Sticker Book.
Really pleased!

storyw.jpg

OK...all stickers and things collected, and all achievements earned. Just have to beat Bowser and I'll be done with this wonderful and under appreciated game.

My favorite game of all the Paper Marios.

Oxx

When did you register your game? I received my copy one day after official release date and still got the e-mail.

Today lol

I mis-read axisofweevils' post and thought he said he registered it this afternoon rather than the afternoon of the release day.

squid

Just finished the game (well, beat the final boss). Took me 16 and a half hours, but I'm thinking I'll try to fill the museum since I've only got 15 or so battle stickers left to get (quite a few thing stickers though).

The game can be quite frustrating at times (including the final boss...), but overall it's pretty fun. Taken on it's own, it's a flawed but good game. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel disappointed with it though because of what it could have been. I really didn't like the sticker system, hated the fact there was no story/partners/interesting characters and wished the game was one big, connected world instead of SMB-style levels (although, I suppose I can understand this one, since it's a handheld game).

I just hope we get a WiiU Paper Mario and that it doesn't disappoint...

The music in this game was amazing though! Great soundtrack.

Boney

Banned
Just finished it, major dissapointment. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's missing all of the elements that make Paper Mario so great, the feeling of adventure, earning new ablities allowing you to explore, the humor (although when this game has a hand in humor it does it great, too bad it's so sporadically) and all the crazy locales you get to see.

Instead we have a good battle system that kinda loses itself by allowing you to overpower everything all the time. Partners and Badges make for a much more compelling system than the sticker system that's for sure, allowing you to play however you want instead of just throwing everything and seeing what sticks.

World map was a joke, stages are for the most part fine, but there's nothing really cohesive that captures the essence of the grand adventure Mario is embarking, especially since they're just the run of the mill plains, desert, forest volcano levels, without anything witty to really make them stand out unlike PM64's desert stage or TTYD wrecked island. Not to mention there's nothing crazy like Shy Guy's toy box or the Glitz Pit. Being stucked with just jump, hammer and paperization doesn't lend itself to that fun exploring.

It's disapointing seeing this was so barebones, it could've been so much better, but the "handheld-ization" of it probably was for the worst. Losing with it many of the elements of what makes Paper Mario great. Instead we got a very obtuse game, with little to no hints as to how to progress at times, which I wasn't a big fan of really. It's not a bad game, but it definately didn't win me over.

Music is so fucking good though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
i am enjoying this game so far. purchased the download version. its such a nice looking game. having not really played paper mario games before (save for a few goes on the n64 version). I have nothing to compare ot against. on its own merits its fun and enjoyable. nice mix of exploration and action. the levels are nice and bite sized. i expect some back tracking but thats cool by me.

i got the main world map song stuck on a loop in my head. the music im this game is amazing.

TheGrue

The Cheepcheep is easy.

I read this in a walkthrough, but I didn't have either of those items. It kind of bothers me that story progression is basically tied to
finding items behind blue door
. I had the same problem with the squid fight. Finding
the sponge
makes it super easy, but I didn't have it and ended up looking it up. Would have been nice if they'd at least had you find the items fairly obviously and then the puzzle just be realizing to use them and when.

GhaleonQ

Just finished it, major dissapointment. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's missing all of the elements that make Paper Mario so great, the feeling of adventure, earning new ablities allowing you to explore, the humor (although when this game has a hand in humor it does it great, too bad it's so sporadically) and all the crazy locales you get to see.

Instead we have a good battle system that kinda loses itself by allowing you to overpower everything all the time. Partners and Badges make for a much more compelling system than the sticker system that's for sure, allowing you to play however you want instead of just throwing everything and seeing what sticks.

World map was a joke, stages are for the most part fine, but there's nothing really cohesive that captures the essence of the grand adventure Mario is embarking, especially since they're just the run of the mill plains, desert, forest volcano levels, without anything witty to really make them stand out unlike PM64's desert stage or TTYD wrecked island. Not to mention there's nothing crazy like Shy Guy's toy box or the Glitz Pit. Being stucked with just jump, hammer and paperization doesn't lend itself to that fun exploring.

It's disapointing seeing this was so barebones, it could've been so much better, but the "handheld-ization" of it probably was for the worst. Losing with it many of the elements of what makes Paper Mario great. Instead we got a very obtuse game, with little to no hints as to how to progress at times, which I wasn't a big fan of really. It's not a bad game, but it definately didn't win me over.

Music is so fucking good though.

It sucks because both sides have great points, and a 3rd side exists with, "They had the right idea, but were purposely limited by supervisors." I really want to read when people revisit this a year from now, as I can't guess how it will strike them.

Oh, and in case you people didn't read the Soundtracks Topic and care, the music's possibly by Yasumasa Yamada, an old S.N.K. person, but it's almost certainly by 2 people formerly of Lovedelic and now at Vanpool, Masanori Adachi and Kiyoshi Hazemoto.

So, basically, listen to U.F.O.: A Day In The Life (or the Tingle games, Allan Holdsworth) for something similar and play Lovedelic games. But you knew that you ought to do that, didn't you?

-PXG-

I'm really liking the jazzy music in this game. So far so good. I wish you could automatically pick up most stickers. Having to peel 2/3 of them is already getting annoying. You should only have to peel/ find semi-rare and rare stickers. Common ones should just be laying around, or how they are already, found in boxes.

I'm only a couple hours into this game, and it's really strange. I feel like I should be having more fun with it than I am. Does it pick up after world 1?

zroid

Banned
I'm only a couple hours into this game, and it's really strange. I feel like I should be having more fun with it than I am. Does it pick up after world 1?

If 1-5 doesn't win you over, I think it may be a lost cause :(

World 2 definitely has some really good parts though. 3 unfortunately can feel like a slog at times. 4 and onwards are great, but if the game hasn't clicked by the end of World 2, chances are things won't change much.

squid

I felt the same way tbh, after world 1 and even after world 2 I was like "eh, hope it gets better than this." Unfortunately World 3 isn't any better or even World 5. World 4 is good though, more interesting and unique than the others.

-Stranger-

I just bought this game online and now I'm reading many posters expressing their disappointment with the game. :(

Hopefully i enjoy it as TTYD is one of my favorite games ever.

If 1-5 doesn't win you over, I think it may be a lost cause :(

World 2 definitely has some really good parts though. 3 unfortunately can feel like a slog at times. 4 and onwards are great, but if the game hasn't clicked by the end of World 2, chances are things won't change much.

I am starting to get the hang of it. It's kind of like Zelda. I actually like that there isn't a lot of handholding. Too much of that in games these days.

World 2, start!! It's getting fun now that I'm figuring it out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just bought this game online and now I'm reading many posters expressing their disappointment with the game. :(

Hopefully i enjoy it as TTYD is one of my favorite games ever.

This one is cleanly divisive. You probably shouldn't go in expecting TTYD 2 though. For better or worse, it is its own game even if it superficially looks more like Paper Mario 1 and 2 than Super Paper Mario does.

zroid

Banned
I am starting to get the hang of it. It's kind of like Zelda. I actually like that there isn't a lot of handholding. Too much of that in games these days.

World 2, start!! It's getting fun now that I'm figuring it out.

Glad to hear it, hope you continue to enjoy the game. It's definitely not an RPG and once you start to come to terms with that, I think the pieces often fall into place.

Top Bottom