• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

The battle is pretty basic thus far (I'm at World 1-3 now).

Why shouldn't one avoid the "random" encounters? I don't see the benefit of attacking every Goomba I see. Mario can't level up. They don't drop hot items. And I have plenty of coins and stickers.

The only real reason I see is for the extra coins you get at the end of a stage.

zroid

Banned
Don't fight every enemy. You need to fight battles to fill up your wallet, but you shouldn't overdo it either. Most of the enemies can be skipped, but the game will often throw them at you or make them difficult to avoid. Don't try TOO hard to avoid battles; just put a little effort into it, so you don't end up getting bogged down with fights. This should strike the right balance, usually.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not sure if I want that sticker-book enough to run out and get the game tomorrow.

My feelings as well. Having just splashed the cash for a new system I feel it's best to wait. Paper Mario games unlike other Mario games do tend to plummet in price. And I'm not ever going to use that sticker book.

Seguin

Banned
World 3 boss is a bitch, I'm not seeing any hints from the game for what thing sticker to use. yes, I know I could just look it up but it's more fun this way :|

Doorman

And how can I use it? Is it an item you get later in the game? I've only played through 1-1.

The spinner gets introduced in....yeah, in either 1-2 or 1-3. The way the targeting system works is odd, yes, though again it forces you to think about exactly which attacks to use when.

zroid

Banned
This is a little weird, so I wonder if it's just me. I generally have more difficulty timing the battle spinner when it's going slow than fast. It's because I'm so used to the rhythm of it at normal speed that I often end up being slightly off when it's slowed down. :(

I stopped bothering with slowing it a while ago.

World 3 boss is a bitch, I'm not seeing any hints from the game for what thing sticker to use. yes, I know I could just look it up but it's more fun this way :|
The hint for that was actually back in the level when you find the item for the Thing sticker. That shouldn't spoil it for you :p

Oxx

My feelings as well. Having just splashed the cash for a new system I feel it's best to wait. Paper Mario games unlike other Mario games do tend to plummet in price. And I'm not ever going to use that sticker book.

It's pretty good for a bonus, though.

Better than a Layton luggage tag or coins with 'Xenoblade' written on them.

RanoNL

The only real reason I see is for the extra coins you get at the end of a stage.

I'm swimming in money right now (World 1-3 finished, 400+ coins). I don't know if the battles are satisfying enough. It would be nice if you'd get XP for levelling Mario. And whats your reward for going back to the museum every time and filling it with stickers?

I'm not very far yet.. Maybe that is it..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's pretty good for a bonus, though.

Better than a Layton luggage tag or coins with 'Xenoblade' written on them.

Well it is the most game appropriate gift and with almost 3 hours gone by I wonder how many of the 10,000 have already gone.

Oxx

I went to Tesco and they didn't have it out, so I abandoned the idea of getting the game today.

I imagine it will sell over 10,000 copies, but I don't think that the majority of purchasers even know what Club Nintendo is.

Qurupeke

The game is awesome. I haven't played much but I'm already in love with the Sticker system! Also, I got a sticker book and some magnets with my preorder. Great!

krumble

turned over at 2am this morning and quickly checked the eshop, set it downloading and played all my lunchbreak - loving it so far

(loved the first two, never really got into super paper mario)

When you move your 3DS the reflection on shiny stickers changes. That totally just blew my mind. I took a little nap right before noticing this, so I felt especially awestruck by this revelation.

Qurupeke

So, I have this question (early spoilers)

Are there any stickers that can only be found one time? If I use them, will I be able to complete the Museum?

Suzzopher

Nintendo's excellent distribution in the UK strikes again. Tried three Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons tonight and no sign of this at any of those.

Guess I better head into town tomorrow then.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, I have this question (early spoilers)

Are there any stickers that can only be found one time? If I use them, will I be able to complete the Museum?

No. All stickers are available for collection at the end of the game. You can't miss anything in this game. Except [World 3 spoilers]
the wriggler-piece sketches in the treehouse in world 3.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Glad that this game is different, I was afraid that this on 3DS would replace the superior and much better M&L series; now there is hope.

dwu8991

Banned
Stupid wii u pad. If i wasn't for my insatiabe desire to plays game on the pad, I would give Paper Mario my 100% full atention.

I'm getting stuck fairly regularly. It's a bit frustrating to be honest. Currently I'm at the end of world two (I think) and upon entering what I think is the last level I could only think "Uh, okay?" and took a break.

Seik

Banned
So what's the GAF consensus on this, by this I mean where would you place it in the Paper Mario series leaderboard? I'm interested but not sure.

TEJ

So what's the GAF consensus on this, by this I mean where would you place it in the Paper Mario series leaderboard? I'm interested but not sure.

worst of the paper mario titles, still a billion times better than brothers in time.

Oxx

Nintendo's excellent distribution in the UK strikes again. Tried three Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons tonight and no sign of this at any of those.

Guess I better head into town tomorrow then.

Glad I didn't walk across town to Sainsburys after striking out at Tesco.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
It's not even better than Super Paper Mario? D:

I mean, I liked SPM in a way, but its nothing compared to TTYD.

It's better than Super Paper Mario by orders of magnitude. If you go in expecting The Thousand Year Door, you'll be disappointed. If you go in without preconceptions and willing to play by its rules, it's an absolute gem of a game.

zroid

Banned
It's not even better than Super Paper Mario? D:

I mean, I liked SPM in a way, but its nothing compared to TTYD.

worst of the paper mario titles, still a billion times better than brothers in time.

By no means is that the consensus.

The "consensus", if you can call it that, is it's a very different game from the other Paper Marios, and anyone could go either way on the gameplay, regardless of how they feel about the rest of the series. However, it's consistently clever and charming, is way more committed to the papercraft theme than ever before, and has a few undeniable flaws -- your mileage will vary with how much they matter to you.

RM8

I decided I like this just as much as SPM and TTYD (which are equal in my eyes), and a bit more than 64 which is the weakest in the series (but still one of my favorite games ever). But I'm one of those evil fans who didn't hate SPM.

SS is the most gameplay-focused game in the series, with a big focus on puzzles. I freaking adore it and I wouldn't mind the series going in this direction from now on (we have M&L for the more RPG-ish stuff). Also it has the best music in the series by far. Plus it's gorgeous.

I'm still pretty early in the game, but so far I enjoy it more than SPM at least (fwiw). The late EU release and the impressions from North American players helped me to approach this game with the right mindset, but I'm still not totally sold on all of the design decisions they made.
I definitely warmed up to it in World 2, though. Depending on how it goes from here I might end up liking this game a whole lot more.

Seik

Banned
By no means is that the consensus.

The "consensus", if you can call it that, is it's a very different game from the other Paper Marios, and anyone could go either way on the gameplay, regardless of how they feel about the rest of the series. However, it's consistently clever and charming, is way more committed to the papercraft theme than ever before, and has a few undeniable flaws -- your mileage will vary with how much they matter to you.

Well, that sounds interesting to me, though I should have been more specific, when I'm saying SPM is the worst, its mainly because its a lot less RPG centric than the others, it doesn't stop it from being quite a good game though, don't get me wrong. I've been playing the Paper Mario series since the first one on N64, so SPM was kind of a let down in my expectations because I was mainly wanting an RPG. What I'm looking for with this one is something that goes back to a more RPG centric style, hoping it'll have some harder parts to go through.

The game isn't too easy, right?

Thanks to everyone for your inputs! :D

I guess I'll grab it next week.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, that sounds interesting to me, though I should have been more specific, when I'm saying SPM is the worst, its mainly because its a lot less RPG centric than the others, it doesn't stop it from being quite a good game though, don't get me wrong. I've been playing the Paper Mario series since the first one on N64, so SPM was kind of a let down in my expectations because I was mainly wanting an RPG. What I'm looking for with this one is something that goes back to a more RPG centric style, hoping it'll have some harder parts to go through.

The game isn't too easy, right?

Thanks to everyone for your inputs! :D

I guess I'll grab it next week.

The game is more like the first two PM games in terms of level structure, exploring, fetch quests, and sometimes talking to an NPC to solve their problem. It's nothing like SPM at all in that regard.

It's just that the PM world/levels have been placed on a Super Mario World map that is somewhat non-linear, and slowly unlocks paths as you solve puzzles and find hidden exits within areas/stages.

In terms of difficulty, it's difficult to say because the game flow is very inventive (in my opinion). Basically, you can skip most battles freely, if you A: don't need coinage right now B: are saving a particular sticker loadout for new/harder area ahead. If you don't battle enough though, you may not have a lot of bank to buy good stickers and special attack stickers. Scripted fights you can't avoid (mid-boss style), and full bosses are often like puzzles where you must figure out the right stickers to use, in the right order to do damage or uncover a weakness. Even regular enemies all have a particular weakness that allows you to battle efficiently. Enemies are also designed to be a danger if you want to avoid combat - they may try to chase you, pop out of hidden spots, or block narrow passages.

Difficulty therefore may depend on how fast or slow you move through levels, how much time you take out to grind money (experience, effectively), whether you take time to find HP-Up items to permanently raise your HP, and so on. The tradeoff for going slowly and grinding a lot, finding every item, may be that you're packing a fortune to buy as many high powered stickers as you like. You get a big bonus coin payout at the goal star of a stage if you've battled a lot.

To me it definitely doesn't feel like something you could sleepwalk through. Or unengaging. There's a small detail that you have no standard free basic attack - since every attack costs a sticker, the system encourages not wasting inventory space on trash stickers and thinking about a good loadout. There are basic stickers littered around each stage though, to keep you going (barely) in case you screw up and battle inefficiently through an area.

The main point of contention surrounding the game is simply that it doesn't require grinding battles for the same kind of character growth that getting a constant stream of XP provides, with a regular level up ding. So for some, battles feel pointless. Aside from HP-Ups, your progress is measured by your bank of coins, collecting inventory expansions, and having the knowledge / ability to load up with advanced, expensive stickers. I feel it's a matter of perspective. But in the end the actual act of wandering around the world, exploring, solving puzzles is classic Paper Mario. It also is tuned as a portable game, to be played in bite-sized chunks. (Hence the Mario World map and areas separated into "courses" or stages with a goal star at the end when you're finished.)

In my desperation of not knowing what to do or where to go I'm revisiting the earlier levels and I've spotted Luigi suddenly sitting in the background of the first castle all by himself.

c9mis7etwgfq4s6zb.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just started playing this. I laughed when Kersti said "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
A clear reference to Reggie?

Effect

I really wanted Sticker Star Story to be some huge adventure with tons of characters but it's kinda' a 3d super mario game with no real platforming and a battle-mode instead of stomps. Just one of those games that everyone is going to have to judge on their own terms, I'm on the fence 'till it gets completed.

Hmm. This is disappointing. I was hoping for a good story but looking at Nintendo.com it's not listed as an rpg even though it might seemingly have some elements. That should have been my first clue.

So what is the length of the game? Anyone? Any type of replay value in the game instead of just wanting to play through the game again?

I got this yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far, for me, the fact that it is a lot less talky than previous PM games is a plus, after all, it's also a handheld game.

But man, the soundtrack in this game is lush, I mean, the previous games also had some awesome competitions but the music in this sounds so good, I literally let it sit at the attract/title screen for like 20 minutes because the title theme is so well done.

It's also a really charming game to play if everything around you is dull and winter-y. I'm still very early in the game so I don't think I can really make a verdict on the gameplay, though.

Top Bottom