• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

NEO0MJ

So what is the length of the game? Anyone? Any type of replay value in the game instead of just wanting to play through the game again?

Game should take you 18-20 hours. I don't think there's any replay value other than wanting to replay the game again.

I'm one of the idiots that bought the game from the eshop just so I could play it on the bus going to work.

I am loving the game, have to think tactically with the stickers when in battle. Loving the Paper Mario 64 vibe it's giving me as well.

squid

Picked this up this morning, been playing it for a while. Just finished World 1. So far it's not bad, but I hope the sticker battle system gets better, I haven't particularly enjoyed that so far. The World 1 boss was stupid too.
I use a heap of stickers and coins to beat him and then at the end Kersti says that I shouldn't have used so many and there was a particular sticker that would've beaten him easily. I used a wide variety of stickers, including the Scissors 'thing' sticker, but I got no indication of a particular sticker I should've used.
Did I miss something? Or is that just poor design? I hope the all the other bosses aren't the same.

The humour has been quite good so far, especially some of the toads. The paper gags are pretty cool too. Will be starting world 2 in a sec. Hope the worlds get a bit more interesting than World 1 though...
I'm sure they will. World 1 in Paper Mario games, and in Mario games in general, are always pretty safe and conservative compared to later levels.

mandiller

Picked this up this morning, been playing it for a while. Just finished World 1. So far it's not bad, but I hope the sticker battle system gets better, I haven't particularly enjoyed that so far. The World 1 boss was stupid too.
I use a heap of stickers and coins to beat him and then at the end Kersti says that I shouldn't have used so many and there was a particular sticker that would've beaten him easily. I used a wide variety of stickers, including the Scissors 'thing' sticker, but I got no indication of a particular sticker I should've used.
Did I miss something? Or is that just poor design? I hope the all the other bosses aren't the same.

I just did exactly the same thing. What are you supposed to use? I would have thought the scissors would work, but nope.

DonMigs85

IGN actually recommended battling bosses 3 times in their review.
First try, get killed fast, Second try there will eventually be a hint, then reset for the third and final attempt.
Otherwise you might waste tons of expensive stickers.

Javier

I'm really surprised at how little amount of hints the game throws at you. Kersti is barely any help, and some times it takes several tries to get the sticker right on Paperize mode. It feels like I'm playing Zelda 1 all over again.

Qurupeke

I'm in the boss fortress of the second world now, but I've played many areas of the world 3 already. God, the game is awesome. I don't understand why there is hate to this at all...

I freaked out when those creepy Koopa Troopas jumped out of the wall. D:

I'm really surprised at how little amount of hints the game throws at you. Kersti is barely any help, and some times it takes several tries to get the sticker right on Paperize mode. It feels like I'm playing Zelda 1 all over again.

I think when it comes to sticker puzzles, she might be helpful if you don't have the sticker you need, otherwise she's kinda useless.... outside of 4-3.

Rarutos

I love the game, but I'm definitely not as motivated to play it as the other Paper Marios... I really miss the charm of the other three games' story and characters. :(

It's fun overall, it just feels like it's missing something...

bitoriginal

Finding this game hard to track down at retail in the UK. Checked my local town and nowhere has it in. What a pain in the arse.

Oxx

This is just like Animal Crossing in Japan. Nintendo are forcing people into digital purchases by messing-up distribution.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm really loving the Jazzy reworkings of the classic Mario themes. No annoying BAH sounds either.
Wish they'd put this much effort into NSMBU.

Mzo

I just did exactly the same thing. What are you supposed to use? I would have thought the scissors would work, but nope.

Scissors do work, and so does the fan. You just have to use it when the boss unfolds into a paper wall.

Most of the bosses require a thing sticker to be used with a certain timing, and it's usually pretty obvious. The thing is generally found in the same world as the boss, Zelda style. Kersti will give you hints on your second try at a boss fight just in case you absolutely can't work it out on your own.

Maybe it's because I had no expectations for this game having not played any other Paper Mario, but I'm having an awful lot of fun with it.

Effect

Game should take you 18-20 hours. I don't think there's any replay value other than wanting to replay the game again.

Thanks. Kinda torn now.

I guess this is the big holiday title from Nintendo as far as the 3DS is concerned. Is it worth being considered that or just simply a good game overall?

NEO0MJ

Thanks. Kinda torn now.

I guess this is the big holiday title from Nintendo as far as the 3DS is concerned. Is it worth being considered that or just simply a good game overall?

Personally, I think the game is well worth the asking price. It's a great game, just not TTYD 2.

bart64

Banned
Loved the game. So much so I came back and finished the thing sticker collection. Beyond the gameplay, the atmosphere and especially the music is so sophisticated and inviting its a treat every time I go back.

About the museum completion:
For anyone done with the thing sticker correction, in the sound test the slides that play have white blurred area that look like concealed text. Is this text visible in the Japanese version. Curious to know if there was a story there that didn't get translated.

bitoriginal

Managed to finally track the game down at retail in UK. Played for about 3 hours and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. It's really charming and I'm enjoying the simple battle system.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Beat the game a few days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, the final boss and climax were particularly very well done, might be my favorite of any Mario RPG.

Going back and trying to collect all the stickers now, and clear all the conditions on the 8 flags in the Plaza of Decalburg. Right now I have 3 cleared (
Door Stickers, Comet Stars, and Spending Lots of Coins
). So right now I'm just replaying all the levels and exploring around some more, if after going through everything again I still can't find all the stickers, I think I may have to resort to a guide.

And on that note, I love how many secrets this game has that you can explore and find. I've found some I never noticed on my first play of the levels, very cool, love the level design of this game so much.

Speaking of level design, to those who have beat the game, I'm curious, what were your favorite levels, and overall world?

Mine was definitely World 4, with the Mansion and Shy Guy Rollercoaster levels as 2 favorites of mine. The first level also really stuck with me, there's just some wonderful feeling I get from happy christmasy music while snow falls to the ground and you enter a new world, reminded me of the feeling I got from the first level of the snow world in Kirby Epic Yarn, love it.
Another favorite of mine was the Airship level in World 6, was like a Mario fan's dream for me, going through and battling so many classic Mario enemies while hearing the airship music remix, and destroying part of the airship and exploring it, all to the final showdown with Jr., was so well done
And last but not least, 3-10, snifit, or whifit, very cool Paper Mario like level that I had a lot of fun with.

bon

I am loving this game. Collecting and managing stickers is fun, especially since I want to fill the museum. There are more puzzles than I expected, and some of them are pretty challenging! It's almost like a Mario adventure game. And the soundtrack is superb.

Effect

Is Nintendo suppose to be making DLC for the game? Is it even setup in such a way for there to be any?

Thinking I might actually pick it up. The slight Zelda comparison seems interesting if that sort of gives off that feel.

About an hour in, liking it a lot. The music is great, writing is enjoyable as usual. Different then other Paper Mario games, but similar enough to where it still feels like Paper Mario.

NEO0MJ

Is Nintendo suppose to be making DLC for the game? Is it even setup in such a way for there to be any?

Thinking I might actually pick it up. The slight Zelda comparison seems interesting if that sort of gives off that feel.

I don't think there was ever news of DLC for this game.

Parallacs

I'm at 5.3 (edit, I mean 6.3) and am debating whether or not to finish the museum before finishing the game.

I am at 80/96 for battle and haven't bothered transfering my things over yet. I have put down all of the secret doors.

I am the type that will always grind for cool things (gold chocobo, lionheart, sword of kings, super meat boy bandages, etc) but only if I really like the game or there is a cool incentive to do it. I'm just not sure if this one is worth it.

I'm at 5.3 and am debating whether or not to finish the museum before finishing the game.

I am at 80/96 for battle and haven't bothered transfering my things over yet. I have put down all of the secret doors.

I am the type that will always grind for cool things (gold chocobo, lionheart, sword of kings, super meat boy bandages, etc) but only if I really like the game or there is a cool incentive to do it. I'm just not sure if this one is worth it.

Well being able to complete the Thing Side can happen as early as 5-6 (after revisit) with the Battle Sticker being available to finish as soon as 6-2.

Nose Master

Every boss fight is like that. Worst part of the game, by far. Protip: It's always a
thing

Qurupeke

World 3 Spoilers:
What's this book on Wiggler's house? I got the second segment and a sketch appeared. But I didn't checked it when I had the first one... Do I lose something?

NEO0MJ

World 3 Spoilers:
What's this book on Wiggler's house? I got the second segment and a sketch appeared. But I didn't checked it when I had the first one... Do I lose something?

It's just there to get Wigglers perspective on what's going on and a few cute pictures. You don't gain or lose anything if you miss a few pages.

Thought i'd share some tips. I've only completed world 1 so its not very detailed.

. Going back to the town to buy stickers seems to be the way to go
. I was able to run away from a mini-boss fight which allowed me to assess what to do and the attempt it again
. Paperise when stuck, just give it a go when nothing else works
. All stickers and things reset
. Complete all available levels
. Always try to get as many goes in 1 turn as possible.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What is up with these Drawn doors I see on the walls at specific places in levels? Do I need a specific thing sticker to open them? Or am I just missing something here.

NEO0MJ

What is up with these Drawn doors I see on the walls at specific places in levels? Do I need a specific thing sticker to open them? Or am I just missing something here.

You need a spacial sticker to open them. You find a toad that sells it in world 3.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm one of the idiots that bought the game from the eshop

same, OK, it is over priced but err i don't have to carry extra carts around (woo yay??), i wish more releases could be on the eshop, also with competitive pricing

waiting to use my layton download code. but of course i am adding to my backlog. :(

any ways played this last night and so far i am in love with it's charms and bite sized gaming. this may become a commute fave of mine.

Totally agree. First time I've actually sat on the bus to and from work playing it.

is this similar to super paper Mario? There is the lack of turn based battles but are the levels of similar construction?

Pixador

Hey guys, help me to make a decision. I loved Paper Mario 64, The Thousand-Year Door, SuperStar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story and hated the first Mario RPG for DS (the one with the Baby Mario and Luigi) and Super Paper Mario bored me. Do you reccomend me to buy 3DS with Sticker Star?

Sadist

I love it. Bought it last Thursday and I'm taking it slow.

World 3, looking for

Wiggler's bodyparts which keep evading me. I kinda lost track of the one in 3-4...

eternalb

Hey guys, help me to make a decision. I loved Paper Mario 64, The Thousand-Year Door, SuperStar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story and hated the first Mario RPG for DS (the one with the Baby Mario and Luigi) and Super Paper Mario bored me. Do you reccomend me to buy 3DS with Sticker Star?

No. Based on that list, I don't think it'll appeal to you.

Finished the game yesterday, really loved it.

I am going to take a week's break and go back to search for the stuff I'm missing. Though knowing that the Wiggler's pages are permanently missable dampens the experience (only got 2). Paper Mario/M&L never had missable stuff before, don't know why they started now :(

eternalb

The list can be deceitful. I know that SS is not an RPG, that's not the problem. I just want to be constantly surprised like the other games with original ideas and good humour

Then you shouldn't have provided the list if you didn't want feedback based on it.

I'd consider SPM as surprising and at least as funny as Sticker Star, so take that for what it's worth.

Mzo

Loved this game, btw. Took me about 35 hours to play through, never looked a single thing up. Wasn't comparing it to other game and just accepted it for the weird game hybrid that it is and enjoyed every one of those hours.

Top Bottom