• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Tookay

I'm just saying. It's not that different. I'm sorry that the game frustrated and disappointed you guys. I'm also sorry that so many are just going to give it a miss. I just don't think it's deserved. You guys make me sad. I'm out.

I'm not going to spend $35-40 on a game that I know by this point I'm probably not going to enjoy.

It's like the baby got thrown out with the bathwater.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm starting seeing a bit of the (in)famous GAF overreaction here. On both sides, I mean.

zroid

Banned
Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Most reviews indicate the writing is still great, the battles are still fun, the sticker gimmick adds a rather interesting resource management mechanic, and there are more puzzles than ever. Most are probably good, too, unless you end up in a situation where you're missing something.

The game seems undeniably flawed but ignoring that, it's surely polished and enjoyable with the soul of Paper Mario we love.

jschreier

Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Most reviews indicate the writing is still great, the battles are still fun, and the sticker gimmick adds a rather interesting resource management mechanic, and there are more puzzles than ever. Most are probably good, too, unless you end up in a situation where you're missing something.

The game seems undeniably flawed but ignoring that, it seems like a polished and enjoyable game with the soul of a paper Mario game.

Spot on! I didn't enjoy the battles all that much, but there are so many little twists and turns and great minor details to discover and enjoy. It's definitely worth playing.

Spot on! I didn't enjoy the battles all that much, but there are so many little twists and turns and great minor details to discover and enjoy. It's definitely worth playing.

Would you say it is worth playing if I loved the first two, but hated Super Paper Mario?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, on a lighter note, any surprise Mario cameos here?

I see we have the first appearance of Snifit and Birdo here, but what about dudes like Charging Chuck or Renzor or Boom-Boom popping up? Or what about Nep-Enut making its debut finally after being teased in the "Mario RPG 2" trailer way back when?

Seda

Polygon
Phil Kollar
http://www.polygon.com/game/paper-mario-sticker-star/3448

PAPER MARIO: STICKER STAR IS A FLAWED, OFFBEAT, AND ENDEARING
Paper Mario: Sticker Star's few problems are written into its very structure as an amalgam of genres. If you go in expecting an RPG, you're apt to be disappointed by simplified battles and stats. If you're in it for the puzzle solving, the frequent combat breaks may get on your nerves. But if you can accept those conditions, Sticker Star has something special buried beneath its covers. Nintendo tends toward smooth, straight-forward design, but Sticker Star is the opposite of that. It's a flawed, offbeat, endearing little game.

7.5/10

Mory Dunz

Please don't try and put me off this game. I will be playing this on Christmas Day!

Haha, I was just pointing out the similarities between this and Chain of Memories. But personally, I loved Chain of Memories. (Actually I hated it at first, but when I actually played it, I liked it. So I'm trying to avoid that this time around.)

But the comparison wasn't meant to be a detriment to Sticker Star.

So why is it that IntSys refuses to give me the Paper Mario game that I want because they have to try something new but yet they don't mind making the same Fire Emblem game over and over again?

Mory Dunz

So why is it that IntSys refuses to give me the Paper Mario game that I want because they have to try something new but yet they don't mind making the same Fire Emblem game over and over again?

Well, they're intelligent so us normal people can't possibly comprehend their higher systems.

Mistle

There are a lot of stale games series that I welcome change, but ever since TTYD all I wanted was another game like that ;_; This game may still be great, but I guess I gotta keep waiting for that true third installment.

RM8

No amount of negativity will kill my hype. People adore hating Super Paper Mario, and I absolutely loved it.

Hi yall. Just wanted to pop in and post my YouTube News video for this game which can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6mhx6t17w

I basically make these videos to talk about the games in a comedic way then go...off topic in the videos. You might enjoy it or might not but figured I'd post it anywayz,

PS: Sorry that its so dark. Didn't know till after filming and too lazy to refilm >_>

anywayz: Not getting this game at launch sadly. Wanted to, but all of my money isg oing to WiiU and even if I did have spare money I think I would still wait since I need to beat a couple rpgs that I'm already playing. Looks like a awesome game tho and I plan on picking it up first half of next year.

Edit: Woah, quite a argument going on lol.

So I'll probably be buying the game Sunday, but I won't be playing it until Sunday night or Monday morning.
Still hyped though. Is there a strategy guide or something? I just like collecting these things...

zroid

Banned
Yeah there's a Prima guide, apparently. There doesn't seem to be a hardcover limited edition one though. Nowadays those are the only guides I consider buying.

Yeah there's a Prima guide, apparently. There doesn't seem to be a hardcover limited edition one though. Nowadays those are the only guides I consider buying.

Yeah I buy them more for the aesthetics than anything. Maybe I'll just wait it out or something...
I'm also wondering how confusing the pacing and direction of the quests in the game might be, considering the few reviews I've seen have said something about there being a lack of direction for guiding along with quests...

Roto13

n1J2W.jpg

PokéKong

So they made the core of the experience be exploring, finding random things, and figuring out where to use them using sometimes dubious logic.

Basically they made it an early Sierra adventure game?

Have you played Awakening?

Not yet (I live in the US) but again, this is not an indictment of FE, I'm just stating the obvious. Fire Emblem is still a tactical strategy game and when you buy a FE game you know what you're getting.

For some reason IntSys thinks we want an entirely different PM experience with each game. For gods sake just stick with what works, I'm not sure if I'm going to give them another chance with my money on this franchise if PM:SS isn't enjoyable.
Well I played SPM so I'm entitled to state how much I hated it.

Velcro Fly

Honestly can't wait. Not worried about finding things to progress on different paths. Feels sort of like a Zelda game where you can see a new area to go but you lack the item required to get there.

Can't wait for Christmas!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Andre really knows his Paper Mario. He knows what makes the first two games in the series so memorable for many gamers. If he's saying that this newest entry falls short of the previous games in pretty much every area, I am gonna take notice. GameXplain reviews purely subjectively so if he's giving the game a 2/5, then that means that he essentially had no fun with it. To me, that's really sad, and something that may cause me to hold off on the title for a while (if not indefinitely).

Bladenic

You couldn't have possibly hit the nail harder on the head. It's been nearly a decade since TTYD, we fucking deserve another Paper Mario RPG game, and not some platformer or a very simplistic RPG with increased puzzle elements.

Andre really knows his Paper Mario. He knows what makes the first two games in the series so memorable for many gamers. If he's saying that this newest entry falls short of the previous games in pretty much every area, I am gonna take notice. GameXplain reviews purely subjectively so if he's giving the game a 2/5, then that means that he essentially had no fun with it. To me, that's really sad, and something that may cause me to hold off on the title for a while (if not indefinitely).

In a way, because it's been absent, it's been remembered more fondly since there wasn't very many Paper Mario RPGs.... which probably lead to some oversight of issues that either game has really.

Who knows, maybe a little fighting as possible may be pretty cool for a run in the future.

Refugio

You couldn't have possibly hit the nail harder on the head. It's been nearly a decade since TTYD, we fucking deserve another Paper Mario RPG game, and not some platformer or a very simplistic RPG with increased puzzle elements.

Well the creative staffs behind the FE and PM series aren't really the same so that could be why the PM games have changed so much in comparison. Different ideas of what sequels should be. I dunno.

Gaming journalism voicing their frustration over the lack of Animal Crossing.

Oh that's interesting. I thought it was just Paper Mario.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The new trailers, the music is so boring. I hope the E3 2011 trailer theme is in the game.

Dr.Hadji

But Toasty Frog said it was one of the best RPG battles systems ever. Don't know how you can get much more simple than a Paper Mario battle system anyway.

Top Bottom