• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Rapstah

Wait, what the hell:

ck2ultimatum96on5.png

These dumbasses just presented the ultimatum to another guy that I should take his place without even asking me first. If I wanted Galich I would just have used my weak claim to take it, assholes!

Crusader Kings II is really my GOTY 2012, there's so much depth to it and some new crazy thing happens every game I play. Here's my current political world map (same game as the one in which the above happened):

Norway is enormous, no one ever succeeded in taking England, and Spanish Moors went ahead and took half of France after it fell apart internally. As a counterweight, the Holy Roman Empire is mostly intact, barring that they failed to re-take Italy after that civil war that always occurs after a couple of years, and the Byzantine empire is doing great. Year is around 1100, I'm playing Novgorod.

Edit: There's a crazy story behind that Holy Roman-held territory in southwestern Sweden. Erik the Heathen won the civil war right at the start (he usually never does for me), and that led to half the world declaring holy war on Sweden. The Holy Roman empire won and that was apparently the province over which they declared the holy war. Still theirs because no one in the region has the power to take it back.

Rapstah

Holy crap. Muslims seem so strong since the Sword of Islam patch. They always take Spain now in my games.

Because of the way their territories line up with the Catholic kingdoms and the Byzantine Empire, I think they'll basically take everything that is unorganised as long as they are organised. You can see how they haven't even taken that initial Byzantine territory in my game because they've been fighting internally a lot in that part of the world. I played as a southern Greek count the other week and the Turks just steamrolled the Byzantine Empire while we were fighting internally and literally annexed all of it by 1080.

This is actually a very nice balance compared to reality.

ZZMitch

I enjoy CK2, but I can't really get into it because I get annoyed with some of the micromanaging stuff. Keeping all of my vassals happy when you start getting larger is very daunting. It became a real problem for me in my Ireland game, soon after I united the island.

I enjoy CK2, but I can't really get into it because I get annoyed with some of the micromanaging stuff. Keeping all of my vassals happy when you start getting larger is very daunting. It became a real problem for me in my Ireland game, soon after I united the island.

I stopped playing frequently when I realized that the annoying stuff I didn't like about the game was the game.

Rapstah

Does the AI cheat concerning religious and cultural spread in CK2? I never spread my religion into conquered areas unless I put my chaplain on duty of doing that in them, and even so it can take decades to get there. The dynamic cultural spread never happens to me. Meanwhile, the Moors' territory in southern France is halfway Sunni already and I forgot to check before I closed the game down, but I think most of it was of their culture too.

Also, can CK2 dynamically create new branches of family trees? Is a secondary duke of the Rurikovich family tree always bound to just be of that family regardless of how popular or powerful you are?

Son1x

Does the AI cheat concerning religious and cultural spread in CK2? I never spread my religion into conquered areas unless I put my chaplain on duty of doing that in them, and even so it can take decades to get there. The dynamic cultural spread never happens to me. Meanwhile, the Moors' territory in southern France is halfway Sunni already and I forgot to check before I closed the game down, but I think most of it was of their culture too.

Also, can CK2 dynamically create new branches of family trees? Is a secondary duke of the Rurikovich family tree always bound to just be of that family regardless of how popular or powerful you are?

I believe vassals also convert the provinces, so when the AI conquers new area, they just give the land to new vassals and when you have a count for each provinces, they'll all start converting their own province.

No dynasty branches in CK2 unfortunately.

edit: As for culture, I believe if you hold the De Jure Kingdom of a certain region (of different culture), the provinces in it won't change the culture unless you destroy the title. Might be wrong though, but I think its something like that.

Krelian91

As of today, what do you think to be the best EU3 mod? Magna Mundi, MEIOU or Death & Taxes? I wanted to start a new game but I can't decide on which mod I should use.

As of today, what do you think to be the best EU3 mod? Magna Mundi, MEIOU or Death & Taxes? I wanted to start a new game but I can't decide on which mod I should use.

Magna Mundi is defunct, it doesn't work on Divine Wind, and was designed for the In Nomine expansion years ago. MEIOU is my preferred mod, mostly because I like the map, but I hsven't played with Death and Taxes much, so I can't speak much about that.

Son1x

You will probably have fun with any mod. I've played a lot of Death & Taxes and got bored of it later on. Moved on to More Provinces Mod after that, it basically adds a ton of provinces in Europe and some in Africa and Asia. Also adds a lot of new countries and decisions. To be honest, I never played MEIOU, but its pretty good from what I've heard and read.

Latelly though, I usualy play CK2 and then take that over to EU3. But I do it manually fpor mods because I don't like EU3 vanilla and the converter is only possible for that.

D&T iterates versions with drastic changes so quickly I can't keep up anymore. Go for MEUOU with your next game just because the map is so sexy and the experience is very different.

Son1x

Ok, so MEIOU it is. Do you think I'll be able to convert my MEIOU game save file to Victoria 2?

I don't think so. There is only a converter for Vanilla DW to Vicky 2. Although I do remember reading about someone making the MEIOU -> Vicky 2 converter but I don't think it was ever made.

Unfortunately, playing vanilla games is the only way you can play a CK2 -> EUIII -> Vicky 2 game at the moment. I wanted to do that multiple times but I always stop because EU vanilla is kinda lackluster.

Almighty

Yeah, I recognize that it is a good game. I guess I have just been spoiled by EU3 and expect my territories to accept my rule!

It can be a pain, but then again I do love it. Right now it seems my characters have most of their vassals locked up for most of their respective reigns. As my strategy lately has been once you revolt and I defeat you, you never leave prison alive. Seems to work so far as imprisoned vassals don't revolt again.

Also the EU4 Development Diaries are making that game sound really nice. I am starting to get a little hyped for it now. I admit that I couldn't wrap my head around EU3 I hoping that EU4 will be easier. My love of CK2 has made me willing to try more Paradox titles.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Need some theoretical help with understanding please.

There are these leaderskills in EU3:
Fire + Shock + Maneuver + Siege

Can someone please explain to me what they actually are in military real life terms? Not talking about any ingame values.

Siege is the ability to conquer a city.
Maneuver is the ability to use better formations to outwit the enemy.
Fire is how good soldiers are at shooting.
And Shock?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If I remember correctly, Shock is like aggressive lead attack?

In German its translated to Close combat, whereas Fire is ranged combat. Does that sort of make sense in english as well?

ag-my001

It does. It often seems like the shock phase is more dependent on plain number of troops. Also the use of high shock cavalry units.

Toma

It does. It often seems like the shock phase is more dependent on plain number of troops. Also the use of high shock cavalry units.

Awesome, thanks. Much appreciated.

While I am at it.. sort of unrelated to EU3 (I think) but what would you guys say is a "Dispersed Move" in the Paradox kind of games ? I think it could be some sort of.. military skill? But it could also be something negative, meaning troups arent marching in order or something.

Unfortunately, I cant provide more context on that since I am tapping a bit in the dark about it. I know you might not have ultimate answers, but speculation is fine too , since its about the same as I can offer about the issue.

Just need some input.

Can someone please explain to me what they actually are in military real life terms? Not talking about any ingame values.

And Shock?

Shock is close combat charging of the enemy. Cavalry is great at it in game to represent the military effectiveness of a cavalry charge smashing into your lines. Also, maneuver does not affect combat, only movement between provinces (as far as I can tell).

Son1x

And Shock?

Manuever also makes the whole unit move faster.

Really enjoying the Ottorman game.

Was detailed with taking out the Infidels to the East, but made the mistake (couldn't resist) declaring war on Thrace. They dug in deep at first, but sheer numbers eventually won out.

So because I declared war on Thrace, Wallachia decided to get involved, and took over Bulgeria.

The war waged on for a while, with the Serbians and Bosnians keeping their Call to Arms honor and joining in. We eventually took Wallachia and they joined as a Vassal.

Thrace was under control but Morea to the far South was difficult to take. Athens agreed to let our troops through but Achata we being a pain about it (probably new what my intentions were). So we improvised.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Finally bought Crusader Kings II from the Steam sale. So far I think it ameliorates many of EU3's problems, which is that the game becomes far too easy once your empire is of a sufficient size and therefore impervious to an invasion. I like the idea that no matter how large I become in CK2, the kingdom is only one monarch's death away from falling apart (of course, maybe I'm just terrible at this game right now). I think that the minimization of rebels and the introduction of true independent factions make for a much more compelling and realistic experience. I hope some of these ideas are incorporated into EU4.

I also think that this is Andreas Waldetoft's best work, taken as a whole. Nearly every song in the game is worth listening to.

Prophane33

Still waiting on my Republic key from GMG. Btw, they are still selling them for 8 bucks (with voucher) but are out of keys for the time being.

Toma

My Paradox track record so far (in order of learning):

Started with Eu3 - really liked it.
Liked the dynasty system + traits in CK2 very much, but was disappointed by everything else.
I dislike Sengoku a LOT. Way too slow, small scale and unfinished.
And I am currently in love with Victoria 2.

Victoria2 gets my love <3
Currently digging around for some mods to make the game even nicer to play. I added some graphical mods (map + sea) on top of the VRRP improvements, to make it look like this:

and now I only need to find a mod getting rid of these blobs, which I consider too limiting. I want to take a small nation and crawl up the ladder, but these bigger nations make that almost impossible. Its a bit of a shame they didnt manage they same level of open endedness as in EU3 as I think the game actually lends itself very well to that. The most promising one is this one:
Shattered World - Aiming to divide the nations into smaller chunks while still pertaining a rather high quality level:

I really like the modders ambition, all those US states are different and differently modernized etc. Australia is included in the mod as well (5 states). He is currently working on Brazil and Europe. I thought the mod might deserve a shoutout because it only has a 3 page thread :)

ZZMitch

I want to give Vicky 2 a try but it never really gets a significant sale on Steam. I have never seen it go below $10.

Toma

I want to give Vicky 2 a try but it never really gets a significant sale on Steam. I have never seen it go below $10.

Fantastic game. Best Paradox game I've played so far. Only issue is some balancing that made EU3 a bit more fun for me in that regard. That mod should fix it though.

Rapstah

Christ, The Republic is 9,99€?! It must be doing way more than I thought it was. Can't buy it for a couple of weeks at that price.

Toma

Christ, The Republic is 9,99€?! It must be doing way more than I thought it was. Can't buy it for a couple of weeks at that price.

The patch did a lot, but I dont think the Republic is doing all that much besides playable Republic nations and correlating trading/dynasty stuff.

Rapstah

So apparently the Republic patch retroactively changed the maximum demesne of my best Novgorod save into 4 instead of 7, fucking everything up. I wish those kinds of changes wouldn't apply to existing saves.

ZZMitch

Fantastic game. Best Paradox game I've played so far. Only issue is some balancing that made EU3 a bit more fun for me in that regard. That mod should fix it though.

Yeah it looks great, will probably get it soon since it is the last Paradox grand strategy series I have not tried yet.

Toma

Trying to help out with the Victoria2 mod I posted above. The modder hasnt checked the thread yet, but I hope its somewhat useful for him. Started to work on balkanizing northern Europe today (including single flags) and will probably cut up Russia next:

Toma

Now if only you had more time to play that scenario before the game ended.

You talking about Victoria2? Changing the end date is a change of a single line I believe.

Kabouter

You talking about Victoria2? Changing the end date is a change of a single line I believe.

Yeah, but the game is still designed to end on that date, technological progress isn't like it is in EU3. There would have to be changes (additions) there too for it to work well.

Toma

Yeah, but the game is still designed to end on that date, technological progress isn't like it is in EU3. There would have to be changes (additions) there too for it to work well.

So you just want slower technological advancements? I could look around whether its possible to give less research points if you want. If thats not what you are talking about, what else would need to be changed? I am actually interested in making the game longer myself, so that would be good to know :p

Kabouter

So you just want slower technological advancements? I could look around whether its possible to give less research points if you want. If thats not what you are talking about, what else would need to be changed?

Upping research cost is probably easier, but that's just a guess. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind in what would have to be changed. I'd have to play it first to see if any changes would be needed to the economic model, but slower technological progress should balance that out somewhat at least.

Toma

I think I once played the HoI2 WW1 mod into the 1980s. That was sort of weird to think about.

That game is... the big one. I finally got around to learning V2 lately, but still very much afraid of HoI. Hopefully I'll get to that at one point.

Top Bottom