• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Walshicus

If you're a subscriber to their newsletter Paradox should have sent you a Europa Universalis III: Chronicles Steam code as celebration due to their forums reaching half a million members.

Thanks for mentioning this - the newsletter goes to an "Advertisements" folder in Outlook which I don't tend to check often.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thank you, Paradox. My copy was from Impulse and it was a pain in the ass to get going outside of Impulse so I was afraid of ever having to reinstall yet wasn't going to buy it again and couldn't bring myself to try for SteamGifts/Gaffers and take it from someone who didn't have it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I feel that I have a decent grasp on nearly every aspect of CK2, but I'm hoping that someone can answer the last few questions I still have.

1) Is there anything I can do about titles that are about to pass out of my realm? I can't think of a way to solve this without revoking the title, which I obviously don't want to do.

2) When I first go to war with another country, I'll begin getting these popups that say I just lost a battle or siege, even though I wasn't involved with one, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I'm down 20 or 30% before I even engage in major action.

3) I instituted medium crown authority, but vassals are still going to war with each other inside my realm. I'm guessing that they can still rebel against their liege. In that case, how can I change succession laws when they are perpetually at war with each other?

4) I suspect I already know the answer, but I don't suppose that there is some way to bring another emperor within my realm. I got a claim on Byzantium and wanted to give it to my heir, but I don't want to give him any sort of autonomy, just so that the AI doesn't mess anything up.
It was quite a glorious curbstomping, but I'm having issues keeping my vassals happy. They always seem to come to hate me no matter what I do. Is it the fact that I'm holding several dukes in prison for plotting treason? Or that I'm basically setting up my heir to directly own a third of non-Muslim Iberia?
As Clevinger said, you can hover over the number to find more information about what is motivating their opinions. In general, there are a few reasons why your relationships might be suffering. 1) You might have something they want, such as a county or duchy. Similarly, holding too many duchy titles will affect the number. 2) Acting in a tyrannical or generally dishonorable way. This can include executing prisoners or dishonoring alliances. 3) Personality, religious, or cultural differences. These are difficult to avoid. 4) Your crown authority can result in a heavy penalty if it's too oppressive. Also, changing succession laws may polarize your vassals' opinions.

Consequently, there are ways to improve your relationships with your vassals, such as giving them the titles they want and occasionally releasing prisoners. Crushing a major revolt will also give you +25. Sometimes it's a good idea to attempt to imprison someone who is proven to be involved in a plot (especially if he's involved in a particularly subversive faction against you). If he rebels, then you can crush him, take one of his titles without incurring a penalty, and impress your vassals all at the same time. Another important facet to remember is that your relations will naturally improve over time, because vassals are impressed by high prestige and long-lived rulers. In my opinion, it's rare to experience too much seditious behavior beyond ten years of rule, assuming that everything is well-managed (for example, keep everyone happy and try to avoid long, exhaustive wars that will test your vassal's patience, as long as it can be helped).

Prophane33

In the newest Paradox newsletter:

Raise the regimental banner and beat the drums of war in March of the Eagles, the strategy wargame set in the turbulent Napoleonic Wars. Lead your country in a quest to establish yourself as the most dominant power on land and sea. March of the Eagles will be advancing on all fronts on the 18th of February!

Also, new gameplay trailer: http://youtu.be/hUi0eoCzcwY

I knew Paradox wouldn't forget to get me a birthday present.

Prophane33

... that trailer was awful.

I thought the intentionally horrible accent was amusing. I wasn't fond of the horrible "deafeat" typo. Between watching the documentary series "Napoleon" and picking up the book "Napoleon's Wars" (or as I told my wife the March of the Eagles strategy guide), I'm so ready for this game.

Quote to reveal. (Vic 2 Gone, no idea about KA2)

King Arthur 2:
Victoria 2 :

Rapstah

I thought the intentionally horrible accent was amusing. I wasn't fond of the horrible "deafeat" typo. Between watching the documentary series "Napoleon" and picking up the book "Napoleon's Wars" (or as I told my wife the March of the Eagles strategy guide), I'm so ready for this game.

Quote to reveal. (Please let me know if they've been taken)

King Arthur 2:
Victoria 2 :

I was going to take Victoria 2 but it was already used. Still nice of you!

ZZMitch

The Vic 2 code has been taken! I accidentally hit retrieve account so sorry to that person lol my bad!

edit: whoops said above too

I have an EU3 code by the way!

Quote to reveal:

EMT0

Banned
Since I posted asking for advice on Crusader Kings II, my hours on that game has reached 40 hours, starting from 0. And I've been in the 30s since the beginning of the week too.

Thank you ParadoxGAF, I was ready to call it quits on Crusader Kings II, but it clicked, and I've spent more time than is healthy on this game. This is probably the most replayable title Paradox has ever made, and I've played untold hundreds of hours of Victoria 2.

I noticed early on that playing as Leon is a really easy way to grow a huge demesne really quickly. You start with a really high intrigue and as a heir to the Kingdom of Castille, and if the King of Castille dies, the Kingdom of Galicia too. Yesterday, I pulled off the double whammy, assassinating both King Sancho of Castille and King Garcia of Galicia; most of Christian Iberia is already under my thumb less than 5 years into the game!

Assuming I can cow my vassals into towing the line and survive long enough to institute Elective Monarchy, I should be golden and my realm should snowball. But this is by far, the hardest Paradox game to snowball in, because vassals are always ready to stab you when your back is turned. The bigger your realm the harder it gets to maintain it too. One uncouth action, one revealed assassination, really, one slip up, and your entire realm can crumble. And due to that, this is probably Paradox's most engaging game. In Victoria 2 and EU3, it's really easy to take the 'armchair general' approach after the first 10 years, due to how easy it is to snowball, and the same can be said for V2.

I've noticed that a useful trick to keep in mind when your succession splits your demesne is to conquer the land of heathens, and then give the church territories that you receive to your less promising offspring, ensuring that you get the best ruler possible and maintaining your realm whole. Somewhat gamey, but a lifesaver. I don't think I could take it if my Uber-Leon was split apart.

Jezabel

Crusader Kings 2 is my first real strategy game and boy did i take a while to get my head around the mechanics (bout 10 hours)

But it has really been all worth it, i love this game. I chuck on a few podcast and play this for hours, on my current game im the king of ireland and almost the king of Wales.

THIS GAME!

Does anyone know if there is a chance that Crusader Kings 2 might run on a Intel HD (1st gen Core i3)? I doubt it, but the Amazon sale is really tempting.

I'm away from home now so I can't try the demo (and yes, I know, I have a terrible PC).

And, by any chance, would someone have a spare EUIII key? :)

Lyonaz

Is the tutorial of CKII bugged? When prompted to switch map modes, the + button to choose the different maps doesn't work.

Veezy

que?
Is the tutorial of CKII bugged? When prompted to switch map modes, the + button to choose the different maps doesn't work.

Not sure if you have the time but this playlist pretty much covers how to play the game and is infinitely better than the tutorial. Some stuff is missing, due to the patches/expansions/etc., but you'll be way better off grabbing a few drinks and watching this through to the end then spending the time reading the in game stuff.

Lyonaz

Not sure if you have the time but this playlist pretty much covers how to play the game and is infinitely better than the tutorial. Some stuff is missing, due to the patches/expansions/etc., but you'll be way better off grabbing a few drinks and watching this through to the end then spending the time reading the in game stuff.

Ah thanks, will watch.

Prophane33

I'm giving away steam keys for

CK2
and the DLC:
Legacy of Rome
The Republic
Sword of Islam

and!!!

Songs of the Holy Land

How do you get this wonderful bundle of joy?

First person to PM me the name of my FAVORITE historical figure gets it all, it's that EASY!

Hint: A very contested figure in his (or her) home country.
The incident of this person's defeat is very famous.
Think military...think conqueror!
This person has at least one game focusing on their lives. (not necessarily a Paradox game)
The answer is closer than you think.
Pre-20th Century!

The answer was : Nobunaga! (Not Napoleon! Though, He's #2.) Congrats to ag-my001

Veezy

que?
I'm giving away steam keys for

CK2
and the DLC:
Legacy of Rome
The Republic
Sword of Islam

and!!!

Songs of the Holy Land

How do you get this wonderful bundle of joy?

First person to PM me the name of my FAVORITE historical figure gets it all, it's that EASY!

Hint: A very contested figure in his (or her) home country.
The incident of this person's defeat is very famous.
Think military...think conqueror!
This person has at least one game focusing on their lives. (not necessarily a Paradox game)
The answer is closer than you think.
Pre-20th Century!

The answer was : Nobunaga! (Not Napoleon! Though, He's #2.) Congrats to ag-my001

DAMNIT, I just PM'd you! I wanted dat republic.

Walshicus

Announced today:

• Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

So a Pagan/Zoroastrian expansion for CK2 and an Africa/Naval expansion for V2.

Rapstah

Sweet, I hope the Pagan expansion turns out all right because there's a lot of room for diversity. The game has a ton of religions (I think more than the rest of the game's religions combined) grouped under "pagan" and there are a lot of nice nations that would be interesting to play when they're fully implemented. I suspect making Scandinavia Norse again will be a popular route.

injurai

Banned
I have been highly interested in this Paradox games for a long time now. Which series or game I should start with? Sengoku looks pretty cool and seems to be relatively new.

I'm actually taking a Modern European History class currently, and I know multiples games take place in the European world. What is the verdict on these games? Pros, cons, preferences, features...?

Rapstah

I have been highly interested in this Paradox games for a long time now. Which series or game I should start with? Sengoku looks pretty cool and seems to be relatively new.

I'm actually taking a Modern European History class currently, and I know multiples games take place in the European world. What is the verdict on these games? Pros, cons, preferences, features...?

For those that take place mostly in Europe:

Europa Universalis III is pretty much considered their deepest game (someone who knows it, back me up on this) and it's complex as hell. A lot of people really like it. I don't know a lot about Victoria II but it seems to be basically the same game but moved to Victorian times and with a slightly shorter time span, focussing on colonisation. Hearts of Iron III (or II, which I like a lot more, although I haven't played too much of III to actually have an informed opinion) takes that to its logical extreme by basically taking place over 20-30 (more with II's expansions) years, before, during, and slightly after World War II.

Crusader Kings II predates all those other games, apparently even more so with the Pagan expansion if it's true that they're moving the start date back 200 years, and works slightly differently as you play as a family instead of as a nation. I'm probably biased because I fucking adore Crusader Kings II, but if you're into modern European history then Victoria II or Hearts of Iron III is where you should start looking.

I'm intentionally not mentioning the majority of their games because I'm not aware of most of Paradox's games. They have a lot.

flowsnake

I haven't played it, but the consensus seems to be that Sengoku is similar to but worse than Crusader Kings 2. Plus CKII is European so surely you would find that aspect more appealing.

Sengoku looks pretty cool and seems to be relatively new.

Sengoku was basically a beta for Crusader Kings 2 and has been all but abandoned by Paradox. I'd say start with Crusader Kings 2, it's not the easiest to learn [that would be Europa Universalis III] but it is the best looking of their games that still maintains a large degree of the mechanical depth their older games are known for [something Sengoku apparently failed to achieve].

Europa Universalis III is pretty much considered their deepest game

I'm pretty sure the majority opinion is that either Victoria 2 or Hearts of Iron 3 takes that crown.

Europa Universalis III must be a lot less complex han it seems for the first while then, but that's not necessarily out of the ordinary for a Paradox game.

I've not really played much EU3 so I can't talk from experience, but from browsing forums the general consensus appears to be that it's a good starter game and is similar in terms of complexity to CK2.

ZZMitch

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/victoria-ii-heart-of-darkness

Details on Heart of Darkness. Looks like a day one for me (then again, Vic2 is my fav Paradox game).

I think this will be the time when I purchase Vic 2. I have always wanted it but have never gotten around to actually buying it.

EU3 is the easiest to grasp in my opinion. CK2 isn't much more difficult but taking care of vassals can be a pain for inexperienced players so I say give EU3 a try first.

injurai

Banned
Thanks, I still don't quite know which one to get because I'm not familiar with these games. I have played a fair amount of the civ and total war games. I'm kinda in the air between EU3, V2, and CK2.

Fitz

I think it pretty much comes down to this and what you prefer:

CKII has a focus on building and glorifying your dynasty in a number of ways, a large factor is how well you can manage relations between yourself and everyone around you.

EUIII is more focused on overall empire building which includes things like exploration and colonisation, technology, trade, diplomacy and such.

VickyII focuses more on actually managing your empire, economically, politically, socially and diplomatically.

HoI3 took the longest time to learn, so I'm inclined to say that is their most complicated. Combat (supply, infra, leader traits, day/night cycle, weather conditions, air support, forts, division composition etc) and technology are massively more detailed than EU3. Diplomacy, trade, colonization etc are things EU has that HoI doesn't, but I don't feel like it's nearly as deep as what HoI3 has regardless.

flowsnake

Thanks, I still don't quite know which one to get because I'm not familiar with these games. I have played a fair amount of the civ and total war games. I'm kinda in the air between EU3, V2, and CK2.

Bear in mind that EU4 is out this year, so you might want to skip 3.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there any easier way to manage armies in EU3? I couldn't figure out how to separate different units in armies without using the split army in half function. It's not terribly easy to see your armies from a zoomed out world map either.

Is there any easier way to manage armies in EU3? I couldn't figure out how to separate different units in armies without using the split army in half function. It's not terribly easy to see your armies from a zoomed out world map either.

There should be an icon to the top right of the army window thingy when you click on a guy that has "split into different unit" or some similar function. You can select which regiments go into a new unit to split off from the original. It's an icon of two arrows going opposite ways I think?

ag-my001

Due to the weirdest school snow day, I finally got in some quality time with CK2 yesterday (thanks again prophane). Talk about intimidating. Decided to start out with Galicia after watching that Castille tutorial posted. I don't know if it was me or a result of multiple Duke revolts, but the reconquista push south failed miserably. Eventually I figured out most of what I was doing, but not before the king of France had conquered his way through the southern Pyrenees and into Iberia. I used a marriage to the king of England to help defend my borders from the Emirites (he was already next door helping France), then turned that into a push for my claims on Leon. That move cost him, because pretty much all of England revolted against him. When the inevitable revolt in Leon came, I had to turn to France for help. Then their monarch died and the replacement didn't feel so accommodating. Luckily I had married a daughter off to the new Kaiser. Lost a province to Castille that rebelled, but the situation seems more stable now with the almost complete reconquista. If my monarch can last nine more years I can change the succession laws in Galicia. This should make Fernao IV King of Galicia, Leon, and Portugal.

Basically, I will never look at the "Royal Marriage" button in EU III the same way again.

I'm really confused about title succession in CK2. They seem to be splitting all over the place. What's the best way to handle this besides killing people? Are you not able to simply declare titles for yourself?

Titles you create have the same laws as your primary title (I think) but titles you usurp or inherit may have different inheritance laws. You can check for each title to see, and you can change the laws for each title independently of the others. Try to make all of them agnatic-cognatic primogenitures.

Ah, so I have to change laws and not simply proclaim them for my succession somehow. Cool, thanks! Can't wait to get back to this after this whole Super Bowl thing subsides.

When you're a large empire, it can be difficult or impossible to change inheritance laws because your vassals need to be happy for you to do it. Also keep in mind that if your problem wasn't YOUR titles going to children, but titles passing outside your realm (for example, you have a vassal and then suddenly he dies and leaves it to some guy from outside your kingdom), inheritance law changes won't help you, because you can't change laws for duchies or whatever that are subordinate to you. It's usually the case that they have no legit heir, or their heir if a ruler of some other land somewhere already. Absolute crown authority law is supposed to prevent titles from passing outside your realm, but I've never actually tested it to see if it works like that in practice.

zoku88

When you're a large empire, it can be difficult or impossible to change inheritance laws because your vassals need to be happy for you to do it. Also keep in mind that if your problem wasn't YOUR titles going to children, but titles passing outside your realm (for example, you have a vassal and then suddenly he dies and leaves it to some guy from outside your kingdom), inheritance law changes won't help you, because you can't change laws for duchies or whatever that are subordinate to you. It's usually the case that they have no legit heir, or their heir if a ruler of some other land somewhere already. Absolute crown authority law is supposed to prevent titles from passing outside your realm, but I've never actually tested it to see if it works like that in practice.

I don't think you need absolute for that. I think you only require the one right under it (Huge? High? Forget the name.)

Personally, I recommend not having that high of a crown authority. Your vassals will be very unhappy, which is a pain if you're big...

szaromir

Banned
The Old Gods sounds like a big expansion, I wonder if nations that converted to Christianity between 867 and 1066 will start as Pagan countries in 867.

In one of my campaigns entire Holy Roman Empire turned heretic, which helped me tremendously in conquering it. Now defending against it as a Pagan monarch would be probably a huuge challenge.

The Old Gods sounds like a big expansion, I wonder if nations that converted to Christianity between 867 and 1066 will start as Pagan countries in 867.

Apparently they will be. I'm interested to see how they're going to model the East-West Schism as well, and if it'll be possible for players to influence that in any way.

Top Bottom