• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Apparently they will be.
Missionaries?

8drm5Hs.gif

I'm interested to see how they're going to model the East-West Schism as well, and if it'll be possible for players to influence that in any way.
Yeah. That was mostly power-driven by the west, so I think you'd have to be subversive while boosting the east.

Veezy

que?
CK2 question.

How do you deal with the Mongol Horde as a Russian duke. I'm trying my hardest to conquer and organize to try and not get smashed, but it's incredibly difficult.

Also, does anybody think Republics are a bit OP towards Muslim players since they get the benefit of crusades along with piles of mercenaries?

Playing a game of HoI3, after pulling off Seelowe I released Palestine and Israel as puppets (along with a bunch of other states I didn't want to have to manually police). It took almost an hour before the irony kicked in and I realized how out of character I was being.

ag-my001

Could someone explain how the Faction stuff works in CK2? I took it as normal that there'd be Pretender factions when a new king took over (especially when he had to be legitimized), but now it just seems out of control. I've got several factions with overlapping goals/people, and now that I've lowered my Crown Authority (after changing succession to Primogeniture), the "Lower Crown Authority" faction is stronger than ever.

Related to this is the Spymaster. Do I need to set him to Scheme in the county of the faction leader to prevent people joining, or do I have to guess at the likely places others may be joining from?

Related to this is the Spymaster. Do I need to set him to Scheme in the county of the faction leader to prevent people joining, or do I have to guess at the likely places others may be joining from?

When scheming works, you find leverage on people to prevent them participating in any factions. So you don't just do it on the faction leader, you do it on the most powerful member, then the next most powerful when he's done. The best way to prevent factions from forming/getting too powerful is to keep all your vassals on great relations, but obviously easier said than done.

ZZMitch

I am getting really excited for March of the Eagles, has anyone else been following it on the Paradox boards?

Someone with early access has been doing a good Great Britain AAR.

Prophane33

I am getting really excited for March of the Eagles, has anyone else been following it on the Paradox boards?

Someone with early access has been doing a good Great Britain AAR.

It is most likely going to be my runner up for GOTY (GOTY obviously being EUIV, I hope!). I'm a humongous fan of the Napoleonic Wars and I didn't feel that EU3 really did them justice; the more I see of this game (like a recent let's play) the more hyped I am. Add the fact that it comes out on my 30th birthday, of which I'll spend about 7 hours or more playing it, and my hype is at astronomical levels. My big February games are usually Dynasty Warriors related but this year DW7:Empires is taking a back burner to this (not that I wont' be picking up DW7:E on launch day...I'm not insane). So yes, I eat up every bit of info I can get.

Kabouter

Damn that looks sexy, I might actually play in terrain view for more than 5 minutes, helps that the border lines are a bit better too.

It does look really nice, but I already know I will never look at terrain map mode longer than that. Of the bajillion map modes now present in EU3, I think terrain might be my least used, at one point you just generally know which province has which terrain type and all that sort of thing.

zoku88

It does look really nice, but I already know I will never look at terrain map mode longer than that. Of the bajillion map modes now present in EU3, I think terrain might be my least used, at one point you just generally know which province has which terrain type and all that sort of thing.

In a way, that's kind of sad, given the obvious time they're spending on the terrain.

In a way, that's kind of sad, given the obvious time they're spending on the terrain.

What's silly is the amount of time they spend on that map mode in trailers (not the terrain trailer specifically, which obviously focuses on it for a reason) given how little it is used by players in the game. It's also unclear why EU3, for instance, starts with terrain mapmode selected instead of political.

Political, diplomatic and revolt risk mapmodes are the most useful, in my opinion.

Fitz

What's silly is the amount of time they spend on that map mode in trailers (not the terrain trailer specifically, which obviously focuses on it for a reason) given how little it is used by players in the game. It's also unclear why EU3, for instance, starts with terrain mapmode selected instead of political.

Political, diplomatic and revolt risk mapmodes are the most useful, in my opinion.

Some political/other views video would be really nice, perhaps one specifically to show off a bunch of them. I guess their thinking is that most people new to the series would find the fancy new terrain more appealing to look at, and people familiar to the series already know what to expect in regards to the other map modes. Not that I'm not hoping for some graphical improvements to all of the other views types as well.

Also, can't forget that missionary view, I've been using that so much in my current game, really useful.

I'm hearing from people on the Paradox forums that it redeems on steam.

Ah, yeah you're right - I was working under the assumption Gamersgate would want to keep people on their platform given Sengoku is already on their store DRM-Free. I guess Paradox don't see it that way though.

Prophane33

Just a note: if you pre-order on the paradox shop you can activate it on steam and play a pre-release version NOW!!!!!!!! Looks like Russia is Easy mode (most of their dominance locations are already occupied by them and the others are only a stone's throw from their borders. England/France are for big boys.

Walshicus

Just a note: if you pre-order on the paradox shop you can activate it on steam and play a pre-release version NOW!!!!!!!! Looks like Russia is Easy mode (most of their dominance locations are already occupied by them and the others are only a stone's throw from their borders. England/France are for big boys.

How does that work? I've activated the code I bought on steam but it's saying it hasn't been released yet...

Prophane33

How does that work? I've activated the code I bought on steam but it's saying it hasn't been released yet...

It was a glitch that unfortunately they fixed. Now I have to wait till the 18th too. I only was able to play for 8 minutes since I had to go to school. Just long enough to start a game with each great power to see their ideas and objectives.

I should also mention that it was not the final build it was .85, things like loading screen hints were non existent.

Walshicus

It was a glitch that unfortunately they fixed. Now I have to wait till the 18th too. I only was able to play for 8 minutes since I had to go to school. Just long enough to start a game with each great power to see their ideas and objectives.

I should also mention that it was not the final build it was .85, things like loading screen hints were non existent.

Alas. At least I got a copy of Sengoku out of it.

Son1x

Sengoku is basically CKII lite, right? ...I might be into that, as a grand strategy scrub.

Something like that. You can also check out the Sengoku mod for CK II (technically a CK+ submod). You can find it on the official forum in the user mods section.

If i pre order MotE (pretty cool acronym) on gamersgate, will I be able to active both/either on steam?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sengoku is basically CKII lite, right? ...I might be into that, as a grand strategy scrub.

Nooooooooooo, dont do it. Dooooont. Its the only Paradox game I actually consider outright bad. Its not fully fledged and seems like a beta version of the full thing. CK2 Sengoku mod would be the way to go if you want that setting.

Walshicus

Nooooooooooo, dont do it. Dooooont. Its the only Paradox game I actually consider outright bad. Its not fully fledged and seems like a beta version of the full thing. CK2 Sengoku mod would be the way to go if you want that setting.

It's free with March of Eagles...

Holy shit. I had no idea this thread existed.

Subscribed, for great justice
or to prevent you all from having a valid casus belli on me

Need to see some info on March of the Eagles. Is it more of an EU or an HoI game?

ZZMitch

Holy shit. I had no idea this thread existed.

Subscribed, for great justice
or to prevent you all from having a valid casus belli on me

Need to see some info on March of the Eagles. Is it more of an EU or an HoI game?

It seems more like EU on first glance, but there is a lot more finesse to the armies and fighting I hear. More unit types, flanks etc.

ZZMitch

So, how does multiplayer work with CK2?

Does the game pause and start for everybody at the same time?

I'm pretty sure you just set the same speed for every person. If someone does want to pause the game it pauses for everyone though.

Veezy

que?
I'm pretty sure you just set the same speed for every person. If someone does want to pause the game it pauses for everyone though.

Ah, thank you.

BTW, can anybody answer my question from earlier? I'd like to play a Russian, but I keep getting smashed.

CK2 question.

How do you deal with the Mongol Horde as a Russian duke? I'm trying my hardest to conquer and organize to try and not get smashed, but it's incredibly difficult.

Also, does anybody think Republics are a bit OP towards Muslim players since they get the benefit of crusades along with piles of mercenaries?

zoku88

Looking around the Paradox forums, the ways to survive as Russians always seemed really cheap.

If you play normally, I don't think you really have much of a chance. The mongols are kind of overpowered. Huge stacks; low (to no) attrition.

Then again, they were kinda overpowered in real life, too. lol

Can you become their vassals before they invade you?

Veezy

que?
Looking around the Paradox forums, the ways to survive as Russians always seemed really cheap.

If you play normally, I don't think you really have much of a chance. The mongols are kind of overpowered. Huge stacks; low (to no) attrition.

I haven't tried that. They might take me, but I'd be different culture and religion. Think they'd accept?

I may just have to keep pushing West, dig in deep into Europe, and hope they don't smash me too bad late game.

Son1x

I played a Galich -> Ruthenia game and while I did border the Golden Horde, they never attacked me.

CK+ has a nice solution where the Golden Horde itself will offer vassalization to the Russians.

zoku88

I played a Galich -> Ruthenia game and while I did border the Golden Horde, they never attacked me.

CK+ has a nice solution where the Golden Horde itself will offer vassalization to the Russians.

Oh, also, if the invade, you might be able to surrender immediately. I think the winning conditions for an invasions are (vassalize title X as well as take any occupied lands) or something like that.

So, if you surrender right away, you might just get vassalized without losing land. I haven't tried this, though.

Basically. They are so far ahead of European warfare at this time that there shouldn't be any way to survive.

Son1x

Basically. They are so far ahead of European warfare at this time that there shouldn't be any way to survive.

What I don't like is that Russian culture basically disappears. Russians should be their vassals controling the Russian provinces, not some random Mongol duke.

What I don't like is that Russian culture basically disappears. Russians should be their vassals controling the Russian provinces, not some random Mongol duke.

Instead, they should just murder all the men, rape all of the women, and leave with everything. Turn the province into nothing.

Bovadose

Neo Member
Just preordered march of the eagles. Can't wait!

There are so many grand strategy games coming out from paradox soon...

march of the eagles
East vs west
ck 2 the old gods
vic 2 heart of darkness
and my most anticipated... eu4

all of this is coming out before october of this year.. sooo much to play.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am not too sure how interested I am in March of the Eagles atm, since the focus is on the objectives instead of the continual empire expansion, and I like dabbling around in these games.

And that only 7 or so nations are really playable and able to win the game. I like starting out with underdogs, but oh well. Guess they'll try some other game dynamics and this one just might not be all that much for me, but EUIV shouldnt be that far away either :)

The tactical improvements about flanks and support lines seem interesting however. Thats something I wish they'd add to EU as well. Same with Victorias economy aspect.

Walshicus

I am not too sure how interested I am in March of the Eagles atm, since the focus is on the objectives instead of the continual empire expansion, and I like dabbling around in these games.

And that only 7 or so nations are really playable and able to win the game. I like starting out with underdogs, but oh well. Guess they'll try some other game dynamics and this one just might not be all that much for me, but EUIV shouldnt be that far away either :)

The tactical improvements about flanks and support lines seem interesting however. Thats something I wish they'd add to EU as well. Same with Victorias economy aspect.
Think of the mods...

I haven't played Vichy 2 since release but I'm getting a bit of a hankering to play some grand strategy prior to the MotE release this week (long weekend!). How has all of the Vichy expansion stuff improved the game? Worth picking up even if I don't want to play as the US at all?

Prophane33

Actually minors are able to win by allying with the winning nation. Yeah, it's not the same thing as creating a large Portuguese empire, but to be fair that is true to the historical simulation aspects of this game which is a Napoleonic Wargame. Yes it's not as deep as their other offerings, but EU3 for example is terrible at simulating the Napoleonic Wars (in my experience). I think it's fun to do "what if?" type scenarios myself, but when you are basically ONLY simulating military it's not possible for the Dutchy of Mecklenburg to be able to topple Russia or France without completely nerfing the "important" countries to the time period/theme of the game. I think playing as a South American country in HoI is a good parallel, sure you can do it, but it's going to be awfully difficult/impossible for the awesome military might of Chile to topple Nazi Germany.

Top Bottom