• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

AColdDay

I'm playing the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 and I've got a question.

I just won a war of Independence from my liege, but my lands are still considered part of his realm (High Lordship of The Rills). I want to usurp the title of High Lordship, or really just separate my holdings from his. I don't want to wipe him out from the face of the earth, I just don't want to be under him.

Is there a way to separate my lands from his and create my own High Lordship?

Xater

So i don't know if this has been posted already, but Green Man Gaming is having a deal where you can get cash back or in store credit if you preorder EU4. I preordered the Digital Extreme Edition and got $12 in store credit. Which is nice as I plan to put that towards Rome 2 on top of the 20 percent discount you can get already.

I just got my Digital Extreme edition from DunderHassan for 24 bucks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I keep putting off getting the DLC because I want to get the expansions AND the portraits and unit packs, but every time there is a sale there is also a new expansion and accompanying portrait/unit packs that aren't included in the overall DLC package, and it costs too much to get them individually. I don't even want all the songs, but the whole pack is still cheaper that way.

Almighty

Are all the four CK 2 DLC packs worth it, if I only have the base game

My impressions are so far I enjoyed playing as republics, but it is easy street playing as one for the most part. Your dynasty will more or less dominate the republic and you will be so flushed with gold that you can hire enough mercenaries to stand toe to toe with anyone. Legacy of Rome does add some nice flavor to the Byzantines which did a good job making them feel different from their catholic counterparts. The Old God is a blast for me, but I have only played as the Norse so far with it. Sword of Islam is probably my least favorite. Decadence is a pain to manage if you don't do gamey things. Which I personally don't like, but once modded it is enjoyable.

If you have no interest in playing any of the unlocked factions(Pagans, Muslims, Republics) then I think the Old Gods might still be worth it as it gives you an earlier starting date to play around in. Legacy of Rome to a much lesser extent also might be a good pick as it unlock retinues which I found to be very useful later on.

Fox318

New to the Paradox games and I've heard that CK2 is the best to start with. Now that it is on steam sale should I just get the base game or the DLC + Game pack?

zoku88

New to the Paradox games and I've heard that CK2 is the best to start with. Now that it is on steam sale should I just get the base game or the DLC + Game pack?

Which do you mean?

If you're talking about CK2: DLC Collection, then I would say yes, but that, as it contains Sword of Islam, The Republic, and Legacy of Rome (3/4 of the major expansions.)

Then I would spend the extra 4 bucks and get the latest one, Old Kings...

Fox318

Which do you mean?

If you're talking about CK2: DLC Collection, then I would say yes, but that, as it contains Sword of Islam, The Republic, and Legacy of Rome (3/4 of the major expansions.)

Then I would spend the extra 4 bucks and get the latest one, Old Kings...
I'm just saying do you think the extra stuff is worth it for somebody who hasn't played it before.

zoku88

I'm just saying do you think the extra stuff is worth it for somebody who hasn't played it before.

Sorry, my first question was in reference how there's a Crusader Kings II Collection and a Crusader Kings II DLC Collection.

Most of the DLC is, imo, pretty worthless.

The ones of note, imo are:

Legacy of Rome, Sword of Islam, The Republic, and Old Gods.

You can get 3/4 of those in the DLC Collection and then buy Old Gods separately. I would say the first collection is a waste of money.

The four named DLC add:

Republic: Can play as (trade) republics like Venice and Grenoa. They have their unique gameplay, focusing mainly on trade.

Sword of Islam; can play muslim rulers

Legacy of Rome: I forget what this adds. I think factions and retinues, but not sure...

Old Gods: Play as norse people, can have viking raids and a earlier starting point.

Get Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods. Not sure if they're in the collection or not on Steam, though

The rest of it is really just cosmetic stuff. I like it, but I wouldn't buy it until after you decide you really enjoy the game. The above four fundamentally change how the game plays, though, and makes it better and more varied.

DoktorZaius

Neo Member
Legacy of Rome is pretty essential if you're pretty sure you want to keep playing the game, since the retinue mechanic is applicable to all religions.

Republics, Sword of Islam and Old Gods are all really good, too.

I'd skip the Aztec one, since it's not only totally a-historical, but kind of stupid as well.

I'd definitely skip all of the music packs, since, even with them, there isn't enough musical variety in the game to justify listening to the soundtrack.

Most of the portrait packs are good enough that the diversity they add to the game makes them worth it at this price, but the Mediterranean portrait pack is kind of a joke as it makes everyone in the medi look like they're battling melanoma.

zugzug

The Old Gods is finally on sale! 75% off on Steam for the daily, finally picked it up, really looking forward to trying some fancy pagan gameplay.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72952906&highlight=#post72952906

heh, on sale and on sale so cheaply what its on been like 2 months that's crazy. I waited like 2 weeks then bought it played like 2 hours worth and haven't played again clearly I needed to wait for this sale but then I also suppose I feel better supporting this company cuz its not the major shove shit publisher at me. Even if Paradox has a rep for releasing their games and then patching them better cuz they run out of money.

but Crusader Kings has done so well for Paradox they 've said how its funded and secured them for a long while.

Firebrand

Just picked up CKII: Old Gods as I wanted to try CKII again but didn't feel like playing more of Ireland, which was where I left off a little under a year ago. Vikings sound fun, but I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't new music (?), I didn't think to pick up the music DLC which is for some reason sold separately.

So I've been trying reacquainting myself and I figured going raiding would be the obvious thing to do, and did so. However, I noticed that as I stand in a county, the rate of the gold put on the boat diminishes and I have to move onto the next county. Makes sense, but is there a better way to tell than watching the gold meter on the boat? Also, how does raiding affect the county, am I draining someone's gold coffers?

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but it's been so long since I last played CK2. :)

edit: The Wiki mentioned above answers my question, at least partially. Bookmarked!
The base available loot in a province is roughly 2/3 of the total annual income for all holdings in that province (exact formula to be determined). Of this loot, an amount equal to the sum of the fort levels in all realm holdings is protected by walls, while the remainder may be looted freely. With enough raiders, holdings may be sieged down as well. Winning a siege loots a large amount of money (roughly double the annual income of the holding), and also lets more of the base loot be gathered. Sacking a holding has a medium chance of destroying a building in that holding, and a small chance of destroying the holding entirely.

Now that CK2 saves will be able to be imported into EU4 for people that pre-order I'm strongly tempted to do so. What's the best deal right now? Will need to be Steam-enabled, of course.

I know this is minor, but are we ever going to get achievements for CK2? Add on to that that EU4 doesn't mention having achievements either... It's not make or break but achievements (at least good ones) can inspire me to play in new and interesting ways.

Fitz

I know this is minor, but are we ever going to get achievements for CK2? Add on to that that EU4 doesn't mention having achievements either... It's not make or break but achievements (at least good ones) can inspire me to play in new and interesting ways.

Paradox have confirmed that EUIV will have achievements, which can only be obtained whilst playing in Ironman mode (no save scumming mode). I doubt CKII will get any added at this point, but I wouldn't say never. They said that more DLC will be coming for CKII and I believe theocracies are the only nations remaining that are unplayable, so they'll have to start getting creative with DLC.

Paradox have confirmed that EUIV will have achievements, which can only be obtained whilst playing in Ironman mode(no save scumming mode). I doubt CKII will get any added at this point, but I wouldn't say never. They said that more DLC will be coming for CKII and I believe theocracies are the only nations remaining that are unplayable, so they'll have to start getting creative with DLC.

and the cheat console is disable too =p

DutchNeon

Neo Member
The CK2 wiki site says that it occurs randomly 'mid to late game'.

Pretty much. It's random to the point that it can happen the last year of your game or it won't happen during your entire play trough. It's fun once in my opinion but it breaks any form of historical accuracy for that year and later.

Though it's funny to see the Holy Roman Empire waging war against it if you aren't in it :)

DrSlek

I wonder if they'll do something similar for Victoria III and HoI IV.

Though, going through CKII to HoI IV would possibly result in a very boring end game. How can WW2 occur when you've blobbed out over the entire planet?

KingOfLimbs

Neo Member
I wonder if they'll do something similar for Victoria III and HoI IV.

Though, going through CKII to HoI IV would possibly result in a very boring end game. How can WW2 occur when you've blobbed out over the entire planet?

Civil war/country in-fighting mechanic?

Might be cool.

Hey can you maybe somehow share that save game? I would be interested in trying that out in EU4. Might be fun.

Latest save.

My last king started handing out king level titles to his sons, transferring vassals to them and releasing them (I wanted to have my Dynasty spread around and not worry about the larger territories and new conquests). Africa and Italy are as such. Sicily was planned, but then

Note that Italy is experiencing a revolt to lower authority at the moment so the maps aren't quite perfect.

Realm.
g4kzt.jpg

Christians are an endangered species.

Norse Culture, lol.

Glorious randomly generated name dynasty.

If you want to play on by yourself, the next move is to wait until rebellions end in Italy, finish up the war to conquer one province in Africa. Then marshal retinue forces near the Horde's border (Horde showed up a few years ago), and declare "Great Holy War for Hungary". Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge chunk of land.

What mod do you use to get those icons in the top center?

Regarding mods, is CK2+ good to use?

In response to both questions - I do not run any mods. Which icons are you wondering about? The middle row of icons are just the normal warnings the game gives you. Weak claims to press, Allies can be called, Titles can be created, etc.

Top Bottom