• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

fanboi

Banned
In response to both questions - I do not run any mods. Which icons are you wondering about? The middle row of icons are just the normal warnings the game gives you. Weak claims to press, Allies can be called, Titles can be created, etc.

Ehem, these are how mine looks like:

m0BCnCj.jpg

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If the CK2 converter is compatible with EU4 achievements, some of them (particularly world conquest) might be a little too easy to achieve.

Xater

If the CK2 converter is compatible with EU4 achievements, some of them (particularly world conquest) might be a little too easy to achieve.

Is there an achievement list out?

anyway, I think it will work. Steam achievements don't matter anyway. The system us already easy to cheat in in multiple ways depending on the game.

Fitz

I doubt it will be compatible with achievements, as converted saves will effectively function as mods for EU4.

Mgoblue201

After more than a few reloads and an entire restart following my first unsuccessful attempt, I've finally managed to build a formidable Sami "kingdom" on very hard difficulty:
It shouldn't have been so hard, though. Even though the entire expansion is supposedly about roleplaying as a marauding pagan warrior, the game seems to do everything it can to force you from remaining a pagan tribe. Inevitably, Bjorn Ironside will want to become King of Sweden, and there's nothing that can stop him because he's by far the most powerful leader in Sweden and he has the (unfair, in my opinion) subjugation CBs. I wanted to avoid becoming a vassal, so I sent my diplomat to placate him and just hoped that he wouldn't declare war on me. When Bjorn finally died, his son declared war a few months later, but everyone in his kingdom hated the idiot and revolted against him. With Sweden fractured, I quickly conquered everything I could:
I'll try to remain the Sami for as long as I can. The ease with which you can consolidate and become the King of Sweden really obviates the entire point of being a viking (or any pagan tribe).

Xater

Uhm since it seems like they did a lot of work on the MP of EU4. Is anyone here actually interested in trying that out? I could see that being fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I would be totally up for MP EUIV, a GAF game.

Wouldnt it be pretty hard to get people together from so many different time zones? I'd love to join as well and will get it on release, but I am not sure how feasible the idea really is. How did you guys organize that for other games?

flowsnake

EU4 is Steam only, right? I noticed there's a boxed version in Europe which is cheaper but it doesn't mention Steam in the description at all.

Wouldnt it be pretty hard to get people together from so many different time zones? I'd love to join as well and will get it on release, but I am not sure how feasible the idea really is. How did you guys organize that for other games?

We've never done it before. But we would have to organize it to be at a regular time on certain days, with the understanding that the A.I. (or substitute player) would take over if you couldn't make it for some reason.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
We've never done it before. But we would have to organize it to be at a regular time on certain days, with the understanding that the A.I. (or substitute player) would take over if you couldn't make it for some reason.

Hmhmhm, I am very interested, for when would you plan that? 1-2 weeks to give the new features a try would probably be a good idea before plunging into MP.

Hmhmhm, I am very interested, for when would you plan that? 1-2 weeks to give the new features a try would probably be a good idea before plunging into MP.

No idea. It depends on when everybody else wants to do it. I'm happy to leave it a week or two to learn the ropes.

Toma

As someone who has not played any EU before I would like some time before we start such a game.

Wouldnt you even be able to choose a country whenever you want? Lets say we start a game at about 2 weeks after the release and make a list with countries that are taken, then we still have tons of countries that are unoccupied that players could take up later if they wanted to. I mean sure, they could be at a disadvantage, but considering the AI will play a bit too, I dont think it would be impossible to take a country that was "vacant" so far. Besides, if we end up having more than 5-6 players, someone will be at a disadvantage anyway because not every country is created equal :p

Oh btw, is there (was there in the other Paradox games) an MP max player count?

Toma

I believe 32 concurrent players was EU3's maximum but I wouldn't want more than say, 10 in a game.

Because the turns will become longer? Or does it drag down performance? But yeah, if we have 32 players who actually want to play, it probably wouldnt be an issue to just have 3 games.

Toma

What turns?

Ah, herp derp. Wasnt thinking properly and didnt play it in a long time, but anyway if you have less players you are probably more likely to agree on a faster speed setting once in a while.

Ah, herp derp. Wasnt thinking properly and didnt play it in a long time, but anyway if you have less players you are probably more likely to agree on a faster speed setting once in a while.

Yes. To be honest playing with 2 players is already fairly slow, and with a lot of players you usually just have to play at speed 2 most of the time because somebody always needs to do something carefully.

Toma

Yes. To be honest playing with 2 players is already fairly slow, and with a lot of players you usually just have to play at speed 2 most of the time because somebody always needs to do something carefully.

Yeah, but I dont think 10 or 32 players make a big difference there then. I doubt we'll ever go faster than speed 2 with 10 players as well, and if nothing else bogs down the experience, it might as well be 32. Or am I overlooking something here?

More people means scheduling is harder, more people will drop out of each session (i.e. keeping regulars is hard), networking problems are more prolific, and it's harder to put space between human players unless they're happy to leave Europe. That last thing may not be an issue depending on the person, but if we've got lots of new players...

Toma

More people means scheduling is harder, more people will drop out of each session (i.e. keeping regulars is hard), networking problems are more prolific, and it's harder to put space between human players unless they're happy to leave Europe. That last thing may not be an issue depending on the person, but if we've got lots of new players...

Alright. Well, definitely looking forward to what we can start up here :) We'll see in a few weeks I guess.

Xater

I'd be interested, but I work overnight so the timing of it would probably be too convenient.

Depends on where you are from. If you are from the there European players like me. ;)

Anyway just food for thought because I think the MP might be interesting now because of the easy drop in and drop out.

Hari Seldon

Can't wait for EU4. I need to resume my norse CK2 game and try to import that. Do you have to finish a CK2 game to import it? I have never ever finished a CK2 game haha.

And I will definitely be down for some EU4 multi if the time zones work out.

Son1x

Can't wait for EU4. I need to resume my norse CK2 game and try to import that. Do you have to finish a CK2 game to import it? I have never ever finished a CK2 game haha.

And I will definitely be down for some EU4 multi if the time zones work out.

Nope, you can import at any date. The converted mod will start with the regular EU IV starting date though.

I'd love to join the multiplayer game too.

ZZMitch

I started up a CK2 game as well, it is a lot more enjoyable than I remember. I see myself putting many hours into this game before EU4 comes out!

Also I am down to play a multiplayer game of EU4. Have never done the multiplayer Paradox thing before.

1cmanny1

Some thing about Ck2 are bugging me, and I am not sure if I just don't know how to do it.

How do you spread your religion to provinces outside your control? And is it really impossible to do anything diplomatic to regions that aren't your religion?

For example, Byzantines are getting smashed and I want to help them out. But I can't, because they would rather die than get help from an infidel.

Some thing about Ck2 are bugging me, and I am not sure if I just don't know how to do it.

How do you spread your religion to provinces outside your control? And is it really impossible to do anything diplomatic to regions that aren't your religion?

For example, Byzantines are getting smashed and I want to help them out. But I can't, because they would rather die than get help from an infidel.

Do you mean outside of your realm? Or outside of the directly controlled provinces? The only way to spread religion is to send your bishop/seer etc to a province and use the convert mission. If you hand off territory to a vassal, they will convert it for you. So it's important to have your vassals be the same religion as you (and a heresy... unless you're also a heretic).

And yeah you can't really do diplo shit to Christians if you're a Muslim, for example.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Do you get anything for pre-ordering a physical copy of EUIV? Got an Amazon voucher that needs using but .co.uk doesn't do digital, and the CK2 Converter thread specifies it's only free with digital.

Fitz

EUIV DEMO IS OUT! It's available on the Steam page, download is just over 500MB.

Also I see there isn't an OT for EUIV, worth making a separate thread for this news?

Kabouter

EUIV DEMO IS OUT! It's available on the Steam page, download is just over 500MB.

Also I see there isn't an OT for EUIV, worth making a separate thread for this news?

Yes. Go right ahead :).
It's a pretty great game, what do they allow you to do in the demo? What are the limits?

Fitz

So far it seems that you can't save, and there's a limit on what nations you can play.

1492 start date, Portugal, Venice, Austria and Ottomans playable, no saving. I imagine there's an early end date too. Also I have to say, I was not looking forward to the new political map which seemed to have a real plasticine look to it, but it's not so bad in-game actually.

Mgoblue201

Paradox made a lot of smart changes, I think, to limit the player's expansion. Over extension and over aggression are much more punitive in EU4. Manpower recovers slowly. Furthermore, annexing a vassal is now a resource intensive process. It took me about 15 years to integrate the Crimea, and it used up one of my two diplomats for the entire duration.
I got into one major war with France and Venice over Cyprus. Apparently I couldn't negotiate a separate peace with Venice because they were the target of the war but not the war leader. France capitulated after I defeated several of their invading armies and their war exhaustion increased to 11. The ticking war score is a welcome addition from CK2 and makes holding the target territory imperative for winning a war.
There are still a few quirks left over from EU3 that I hope are fixed in the final release (such as the inability to proselytize and construct buildings in provences at the same time), but overall I feel it's a massive improvement.

Walshicus

I do want to try the demo, but I kind think "it's coming out in a few days so why bother"? Damnit. Just want to play the full game now.

ag-my001

Is the saved game converter a separate program or a plug-in for EU4? I won't have the time to dedicate to the game when it comes out, and as much as I've enjoyed EU3 and CK2, I can hold off for a bit waiting for the price to drop. Winter sale, maybe. Either way it doesn't really matter; I assume a CK2 file can be e-mailed, converted, and sent back.

Interesting to see how much DLC plug-in stuff is already being offered. I guess the model really works for them.

Toma

The EU4 demo ends january 1520.

Oh well. And I still think it was a bit too easy so far. I didnt have any issues advancing into italy, africa and america and the new monarchy point system allows for basically adjustment to anything. Started war without proper claim? Just get the core afterwards. Another thing that simplifies matters greatly is that there is no more governmental slider change in the decisions, which basically meant I had a pretty easy time choosing between them because they only rarely had any real effect on me.

Endgame screenshot:

DrSlek

Not to my knowledge, but then I've never actually checked. I started experimenting with Linux well after the release of CK2.

zoku88

Not to my knowledge, but then I've never actually checked. I started experimenting with Linux well after the release of CK2.

Man, I spent so much of my CK2 time running it in wine. You had to turn a debug setting to run it and it was pretty slow.

Top Bottom