• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

zanos

Neo Member
I pre-ordered EU4, received CK2 on Steam. I already have CK2 and all of my Steam friends also have it, so I wanted to give it away to a lucky despot to wreak jolly good havoc on their future father's, mother's, brothers, sisters, wive(s), children, in-laws....The first lucky individual to quote and respond to this message will receive it. I will give you my Steam ID so we can make the transfer.

gate777

I pre-ordered EU4, received CK2 on Steam. I already have CK2 and all of my Steam friends also have it, so I wanted to give it away to a lucky despot to wreak jolly good havoc on their future father's, mother's, brothers, sisters, wive(s), children, in-laws....The first lucky individual to quote and respond to this message will receive it. I will give you my Steam ID so we can make the transfer.

Damn. i'll take it. I'll need to install Steam first though. Thanks!

Son1x

1 more daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for EU IV!

Can't wait to play. Thinking of starting a new CK II game to export, but I don't know who to play.

Hari Seldon

Got two hours in the demo yesterday. Played as Portugal. I couldn't select any of the countries that weren't highlighted with a shield, but I guess that is by design for the demo?

So, how exactly does trade work? As Portugal, there is a trade node right in the Gibraltar area, but I can't tell which province it is attached to. Does the trade power bonus increase if say, I own a ton of provinces in the trade zone area, or do you get a bigger bonus if you own the province that it is attached to?

Portugal is one of my favorite countries to play in EU3, so I'll probably start as them tomorrow. I guess a good strat is to roll Morocco to really control that trade zone, since there is no way I can fight Castille. With that income secure I'll work my way down Africa in preparation for the lucrative south African provinces which is important to get to Asia.

I also want to try out Japan, which I have never tried before. I wonder if they can colonize western US somehow haha.

Kabouter

Got two hours in the demo yesterday. Played as Portugal. I couldn't select any of the countries that weren't highlighted with a shield, but I guess that is by design for the demo?

So, how exactly does trade work? As Portugal, there is a trade node right in the Gibraltar area, but I can't tell which province it is attached to. Does the trade power bonus increase if say, I own a ton of provinces in the trade zone area, or do you get a bigger bonus if you own the province that it is attached to?

Portugal is one of my favorite countries to play in EU3, so I'll probably start as them tomorrow. I guess a good strat is to roll Morocco to really control that trade zone, since there is no way I can fight Castille. With that income secure I'll work my way down Africa in preparation for the lucrative south African provinces which is important to get to Asia.

I also want to try out Japan, which I have never tried before. I wonder if they can colonize western US somehow haha.

Given your location and the Castillian priority of unifying Spain (rather than immediately colonizing), wouldn't a push for the Americas be a good start too?

Hari Seldon

Given your location and the Castillian priority of unifying Spain (rather than immediately colonizing), wouldn't a push for the Americas be a good start too?

Yeah I'm not sure. I think I'll probably give rush to South Africa plan a shot just for fun and to explore how lucrative that Asian trade is. If I have the funds, I will probably snap up some of the Caribbean as well. But I don't' want to get into long fights with the natives, that is a drain of funds and manpower.

Hari Seldon

So I guess there will be no pre-load for EU4?

Also quill18 is doing a new player introduction to EU4 currently 2 of the 3 parts are up:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGH-Sc1EfdI&hd=1
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8jWQx6RsA&feature=youtu.be&a&hd=1

Today is shot. I'm watching these and reading the forums. I want to take tomorrow off and just play this all day, but my wife and daughter are going to be home so it would be a waste of vacation lol.

Fitz

So excited for tomorrow, what nations are people planning to play first?

I definitely want to do a Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany game early on. Also playing Venice in the demo has got me really wanting to do an Italy game of some nature, I think it was the only major nation formation I never did in EU3.

Xater

So excited for tomorrow, what nations are people planning to play first?

I definitely want to do a Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany game early on. Also playing Venice in the demo has got me really wanting to do an Italy game of some nature, I think it was the only major nation formation I never did in EU3.

I think I want play Spain, or I guess Castille in the beginning. Create Spain, maybe also annex Portugal and try my hand at colonization.

tylerf

I've been addicted to CK2 and wanting to try out the EU series. Would I be better off playing EU3 (which I already have), or going straight to EU4?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure who I'll play, but I found a save from CK2 with Norway owning random parts of Europe, Ireland with parts of France, and all of Spain under random Muslim rulers. Probably going to load that up and see what happens.

Fitz

I've been addicted to CK2 and wanting to try out the EU series. Would I be better off playing EU3 (which I already have), or going straight to EU4?

No harm loading up EU3 if you've already got it, but overall better jumping right in to EU4 I think, better tutorials (though still not perfect), and much more informative interface make it much friendlier to new players.

zoku88

Today is shot. I'm watching these and reading the forums. I want to take tomorrow off and just play this all day, but my wife and daughter are going to be home so it would be a waste of vacation lol.

Pfft.

I actually took thie whole week off, with the main idea of playing EU4 most of the time!

As is my tradition with Paradox games, I plan to play as Brandenburg first.

Man, I remember one of my first Brandenburg games in EU3. I somehow inherited Burgundy without really knowing it (I was pretty new), racked up crazy amounts of inflationa and infamy. Good times, good times.

ZZMitch

I think I am going to start with Novgorod, or maybe an Italian nation such as Milan.

Been playing through a CK2 game and will convert that as my second game!

fanboi

Banned
I'm doing this on the steam store right now!

tumblr_m4wojlQPxN1r4argpo1_r1_500.gif

Xater

You know what. I should make good use of my Gamescom press pass and ask the Paradox PR team if I can talk to the EU4 devs. if they let me do it will collect some questions from GAF.

Fitz

I really dislike how Ironman mode forces you to play with lucky nations turned on, I'm doing pretty well in my Brandenburg game at the moment, but France and The Ottomans have blobbed to absurd levels. France is pouring into the HRE from the west, and The Ottomans from the east, not going to be a whole lot left for me to grab once I've managed to form Germany.

ZZMitch

I played a bit of my Novgorod game, but I am just too addicted to my current CK2 game to be pulled away from it so I am going to finish that one off before I get back to EU4 because I am horrible at balancing two different strategy games at once. I always mix up mechanics and stuff.

DrSlek

Currently playing as a sheik in Spain. demanded the Emirate from my liege, and became an Emir. Everything was going great....apart from the Viking raids. Suddenly my Sultan decides he wants half of France. After a massive war, the Umayyad Sultanate wins and we take the lions share of West Francia.

Suddenly there's a major religious event about a schism. A massive doomstack of 60k troops appear and begin a decadence war against my Sultan who can only muster 10K at max after the prolonged war we just had against West Francia, War ends with our surrender and some new guy becomes Sultan, changes the name of our Sultanate and then everybody rebels.

Most of our former West Francia lands are now independent or joined back into West Francia. Our west African lands are splintered, and half of the Iberian peninsula is rebelling against us.

This new Sultan sucks.....will make for a great save import to EU4 though.

Xater

In case some of you don't visit the EUIV OT. I have an interview with the EUIV devs. I will ask questions from you guys if you have any (good) ones.

CloudWolf

So, I started Crusader Kings II for the first time in a while and I think I finally understand how to play this game effectively. Started off with a custom designed ruler in Holland and right now I am both king of Frisia and Norway and am well on my way to conquer Scandinavia completely. I did have to resort to some more, uhm, sinister methods to make sure I actually kept Norway though when my second ruler randomly died of severe stress, but hey, my second ruler's 12-year old son would've made a terrible king of Norway anyway.

Great game.

Walshicus

In case some of you don't visit the EUIV OT. I have an interview with the EUIV devs. I will ask questions from you guys if you have any (good) ones.

Ask them what their plans are regarding "ironman mode" and the constant pauses due to auto-saving every month. It's a good idea to limit achievements to a no-cheating environment, but every half-year or year would work better for the saves...

Also, should things veer off topic, it would be great to know if there are any moves to make the Game of Thrones mod for CKII official.

Fitz

Ask them what their plans are regarding "ironman mode" and the constant pauses due to auto-saving every month. It's a good idea to limit achievements to a no-cheating environment, but every half-year or year would work better for the saves...

Along these lines, I guess I'd like to know if they'd add the option to turn off lucky nations in Ironman mode. I understand it's on for added challenge, but I'd still like the option to turn it off.

Xater

I already posted my interview information about EU4 in the OT. He are some tidbits about some general stuff that came up during my interview with Johan.

- We should probably not expect to ever see another Sengoku. Western players just didn't connect with it. It was hard for them to identify with the stuff happening in this game and most people don't know the clans and stuff. With stuff like EU people know the actions and history and that's why it works.

- He will probably never work on HoI again, because of the death threats and stuff he got with HoI3. This does not mean that the franchise is over. It sounded like there actually is another one in the pipeline.

- When I asked him about if he would be interested in doing a sci-fi or fantasy grand strategy game. He really wants to do a fantasy one and he also mentioned we might here something about that sooner rather than later.

One I have the interview cut I'll probably post the audio here as well.

Clevinger

I already posted my interview information about EU4 in the OT. He are some tidbits about some general stuff that came up during my interview with Johan.

- We should probably not expect to ever see another Sengoku. Western players just didn't connect with it. It was hard for them to identify with the stuff happening in this game and most people don't know the clans and stuff. With stuff like EU people know the actions and history and that's why it works.

- He will probably never work on HoI again, because of the death threats and stuff he got with HoI3. This does not mean that the franchise is over. It sounded like there actually is another one in the pipeline.

- When I asked him about if he would be interested in doing a sci-fi or fantasy grand strategy game. He really wants to do a fantasy one and he also mentioned we might here something about that sooner rather than later.

One I have the interview cut I'll probably post the audio here as well.

Damn. I didn't think to have you ask about another Rome game. Thanks for the info though.

Kabouter

Holy shit wat. Wtf is wrong with people?

Oh that is really disappointing :(

Xater

Holy shit wat. Wtf is wrong with people?

Oh that is really disappointing :(

I don't know, from a pure Gameplay perspective it is something that excites me. You are not bound by historical stuff, so it would probably enable them to put in all kinds of different systems that might not work in other games. And like I said it would still be grand strategy.

When it comes to the death threats and stuff, there is a apparently a contingent of people who were not happy with HoI3. They lamed Johan for it and basically harassed him. That's why he is burned out on that franchise and doesn't want to return to it. Other people will though.

Also please don't kill me for this small plug Kabouter. There will be podcasts going up with lots of impressions of games on nerdsontherocks.com

Played all the next gen stuff and the other Paradox games that were there.

Kabouter

No! That would be awesome with this type of game style (grand strategy).

Well, no it wouldn't, because I wouldn't give a toss about the whole world of it. Fantasy has never been interesting at all to me, where history absolutely is. You have a historical context to everything, so you are actually changing the course of history, which is one of the biggest appeals of Paradox's style of grand strategy games.

When it comes to the death threats and stuff, there is a apparently a contingent of people who were not happy with HoI3. They lamed Johan for it and basically harassed him. That's why he is burned out on that franchise and doesn't want to return to it. Other people will though.

Well, HoI3 definitely had problems at first, but good lord, it's just a video game, and at most you spent €40 on it. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Xater

Well, HoI3 definitely had problems at first, but good lord, it's just a video game, and at most you spent €40 on it. What the fuck is wrong with people?

There are assholes everywhere. Usually had very good experiences talking with players that like these kinds of game, but yeah that really not the right thing to do.

fanboi

Banned
Well, no it wouldn't, because I wouldn't give a toss about the whole world of it. Fantasy has never been interesting at all to me, where history absolutely is. You have a historical context to everything, so you are actually changing the course of history, which is one of the biggest appeals of Paradox's style of grand strategy games.

I agree with you on those points, but with the possibility of a fantasy setting with current gameplay with the possibility of addning new (unlimited to historic and scientific correctness), would be awesome.

Walshicus

I semi-agree with you. That said, I've really enjoyed the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings II. Perhaps it's better to say that if the world has been expertly crafted - and the real world is easier to do that with - then the genre works.

Xater

Ok pipe dream here, but what if that fantasy game was based on Game of Thrones? And official game by Paradox would be so amazing.

Top Bottom