• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

fanboi

Banned
Computer pls
CyTd6ZX.jpg

Is it weird that I've been dreaming of Crusader Kings 2 UI?

no, I had dreamed of Heart of Iron 2 before, where I dream of Germany steamrolling France each and every time while I begged and tugged at France to do something and supplies them with resource but my plead go unanswered while I see Vicky France at the end it.

now excuse me while I go played HOI 2 again.

Sajjaja

no, I had dreamed of Heart of Iron 2 before, where I dream of Germany steamrolling France each and every time while I begged and tugged at France to do something and supplies them with resource but my plead go unanswered while I see Vicky France at the end it.

now excuse me while I go played HOI 2 again.

My dream was about how I married a woman (with 23 intrigue) who already had a son (who became my vassal) who's husband/father (respectively) died because of suspicious circumstances. Then I realized that's what I actually did and I probably made a huge mistake making her my spymaster who is probably going to plot against me so her son could usurp me.....shit....

Purkake4

Banned
So I got into grand strategy a bit back with Crusader Kings 2, which is amazing and very well self-contained in its mechanics and presentation.

When EUIV came out I was excited to try it, but it didn't really pull me in. Now in the last few weeks I've gotten into Vicotria II and I have to say that it feels like what EUIV should be, every aspect that is fully simulated in V2 is represented by some semi-arbitrary percentage value in EUIV. There's no going back to me now.

That only means you're a normal person. Getting balls deep into HoI3 means you have some sort of mental sickness (like me). Leaving fighting to the AI is a crapshoot unless you know how to babysit it, and playing a major with full control means millions of years of micro.

Kabouter

That only means you're a normal person. Getting balls deep into HoI3 means you have some sort of mental sickness (like me). Leaving fighting to the AI is a crapshoot unless you know how to babysit it, and playing a major with full control means millions of years of micro.

Knowing how to babysit the AI isn't so hard, just have to take manual control every now and again/have some manual units to work with. I really wouldn't want to have to micro everything as a major.

Also, both Vicky and HoI are awesome, more please :p.

I never really got into HOI3 the same way I did with the previous two games. I feel like the front management, OOB micromanagement just turned it into a bit of a chore. it didn't help that the game was pretty busted at launch.

Kabs you say that, but then your army suddenly starts strategically redeploying four corps to deal with some polish partisans and you're at speed 5 so the eastern front collapses by the time you pause to fix it. :-(

It also has this awful habit of letting units fall victim to obvious encirclements.

PS building a rational OOB is half the fun!

Kabouter

Kabs you say that, but then your army suddenly starts strategically redeploying four corps to deal with some polish partisans and you're at speed 5 so the eastern front collapses by the time you pause to fix it. :-(

It also has this awful habit of letting units fall victim to obvious encirclements.

PS building a rational OOB is half the fun!

Oh, I always just create occupation theatres so my frontline fighting isn't bothered by partisans. Encirclements I usually prevent myself by having a manually controlled armoured reserve.

Valygar

CKII I am in a game where I started as Dublin, wanted to be emperor of Britannia.
I managed to unify Ireland, conquer Wales county by county, then the pope granted me rights to invade England when the king was a small boy.
I won the war, and I married the queen of Scotland. I thought my next heir would inherit it and I would be able to form the empire.

For some reason My heir won't inherit, it's for a random relative of the queen. Any way to check inheritance rules of other kingdom?
Also, England has gavelkind rules and almost all dukes hate me. I don't know if I will be able to make them happy in 10 years to change the law, else I will lose the kingdom..
They already tried to independence themselves once!
So close and so far...

Clevinger

CKII I am in a game where I started as Dublin, wanted to be emperor of Britannia.
I managed to unify Ireland, conquer Wales county by county, then the pope granted me rights to invade England when the king was a small boy.
I won the war, and I married the queen of Scotland. I thought my next heir would inherit it and I would be able to form the empire.

For some reason My heir won't inherit, it's for a random relative of the queen. Any way to check inheritance rules of other kingdom?
Also, England has gavelkind rules and almost all dukes hate me. I don't know if I will be able to make them happy in 10 years to change the law, else I will lose the kingdom..
So close and so far...

Go to that king's/queen's character screen and hover over the coat of arms of the country. There should be a popup that says what kind of succession it has and who is next in line to inherit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

So close and so far...

How good is your retinue/standing army? You could always take the imprison and execute route. If you place your retinue on the capital of your vassals' demesnes, then when they rebel their forces, which will have incredibly low morale, will instantly have to engage your retinue, and will get destroyed. Pick off all of your vassals as quickly as possible until none remain, invite random Irish nobles to court, and then give them all the relevant titles. Because they weren't around at the time of your reign of terror, they don't have a negative opinion of you due to tyranny.

Alternatively, if that's risky, starting raising all the children of your dukes, and assassinate any dukes leading independence factions. Eventually, you should have vassals who have been mentored by you and are of your culture (as cultures can change as a result of education), meaning their revolt risk will be minimal.

Finally, it's okay to lose the territories temporarily. You'll maintain a claim which you can press letter and it may be better to focus consolidation attempts on Scotland.

Valygar

I have 3-4k of own troops, and around 24k I can call from other vassals.

I will try the educate children - assassinate problematic vassals, that's what I was doing so far. The other solution is good but I don't want to anger my Irishmen vassals, and I think I do not have enough troops for everyone. Also using my chancellor to improve relations with some of them. I even changed the noble tax law, that I managed until now to keep at low.

I will also check inheritance rules, thanks for that! Alternatively if I conquer 1-2 counties more I think I can still claim the title.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ibneSWmdFjjNEW.png

How do I get those last two duchy's to the south into my kingdom? They are my vassals but even though a few of them are part of my Demesne, they still don't get highlighted when I click my sigil.

zoku88

ibneSWmdFjjNEW.png

How do I get those last two duchy's to the south into my kingdom? They are my vassals but even though a few of them are part of my Demesne, they still don't get highlighted when I click my sigil.

You mean, you you want them to be a part of the de jure kingdom*? That happens naturally. Takes like 100 years or so?

*petty kingdoms are actually duchies though, I think. I'm not sure if there is actually de jure duchy drift or not. I think it might just be kingdoms and empires.

Haly

You mean, you you want them to be a part of the de jure kingdom*? That happens naturally. Takes like 100 years or so?

*petty kingdoms are actually duchies though, I think. I'm not sure if there is actually de jure duchy drift or not. I think it might just be kingdoms and empires.

Okay, thanks.

Playing Ck2+'s shattered world.

Gave too much power to a dynasty that hated me and the leader rose his banner against me.

I killed them all Gaf ._.

Out damned spot!!

Haly

ilE2nhb8cxi0W.png

Right now I'm king of norway, but I want to be king of sweden instead. When I used the "Conquer Norway" casus belli to conquer the norway duchies, after winning I automatically formed the kingdom of Norway using my Swedish duchies. Is there anyway to change my flag or something?

Technically I'm still missing two provinces of de jure Sweden (the purple at the bottom right), if I get those will I be able to change?

zoku88

Yea, if you have the duchies for it, you can change your primary title.

The option is in the same screen as where you create titles. (I think make primary title is right next to the create title button, IIRC)

Haly

Okay, I'm going to nab those two after I reform the Norse.

Gotta prepare for the Christian menance.

ag-my001

I'm hoping someone can help me out as to what is happening in my CK2 game. A while back (relative to the game) I had a fortunate matrilineal marriage cause the heir of France to be part of my dynasty. I was looking forward to additional key marriages to either foster an ally against the HRE or absorb France itself. I got a little side-tracked by marriage intrigue in Castile (wound up with most of the peninsula and putting a brother on the throne of Leon), so I didn't notice when my dynastic King of France got sent back to the ducal ranks, being replaced by a de Semur. I figured I had just missed a civil war, but hoped to prop that branch of the family back up at a later time.

Fast forward, the son of my deposed kinsman declares a war for France after the King's armies were wasted fighting the HRE. I join in, take out the few remaining armies and rush for Paris. Score ticks up, my guy gets the throne. The remaining territories (Toulouse, some HRE counties, and Lithuania) turn green, as the former king goes with his alternate title (King of Lithuania, via long past Crusade). This was in November. Half-way through January, everything turns green. It's all Lithuania. I check the lands, and my guy is back to Duke of Luxembourg. The de Semur king just took back his title with absolutely no fighting. No deaths, just a straight up switch.

What the hell happened? Just because I don't want to rule France doesn't mean I don't want my family to rule it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
What I believe happens is that the AI is asked by the faction to step down just like a human player would be asked. The AI will sometimes comply.

ag-my001

I suppose that could explain it. The family member only had one other duke join his war, so his support would be limited. I was just hoping he'd opt for a war I could join to get him that +25 crushed revolt bonus.

zoku88

Cool that there is some more meaning to installing an antipope as pope.

It always felt that it was way more useful to keep an antipope as an antipope.

ag-my001

Still trying to figure out how the new patch affects the game without the SoA dlc. I believe this one:
A Holding owner's personal martial skill now affects the levy size (exported as HOLDING_LEVY_SIZE_OWNER_MARTIAL_BASE and HOLDING_LEVY_SIZE_OWNER_MARTIAL_MULT)
is responsible for my vassal liege levies being reduced from 20k to 10k. It does open up interesting options for the occasional duchess with 19 martial. I'm also trying out my first William the Conqueror game, and two generations in some counties are turning Norman and some are turning English. No idea if this is good or bad, beyond trying to keep all my dukes the same as my king and yelling at all the 80+ opinion people not voting for my chosen heir.

Haly

I think that's normal. It represents the English strategy of breeding the nordic invaders into oblivion and the problems Wiliam had keeping shit together.

He has a rough time of it, one of my first leaders in CK2 and I never bothered more than a few decades.

Anyone tried Sons of Abraham yet?

I have but haven't done much with the expansion specific stuff yet.

Definitely got a few Jewish folk in my court, but the college of cardinals got bugged when a female cardinal candidate ended up looping indefinitely without getting in.

Edit: And after being sorta bummed out with EUIV, jumping back into CKII reminded me just how much I love this game. Playing as the King of Aquataine at the moment, still got a long ways before I can form France.

Mgoblue201

Anyone tried Sons of Abraham yet?
I've played a few hours of it. My overall impression is that the expansion is a little sparse. Besides fundamentally changing the papal mechanics (which obviously needed the upgrade), SoA is probably less consequential in its overall impact than any expansion since Legacy of Rome. The introduction of the college of cardinals and the new papal interactions are the main reasons to own it. Some of the new events also introduce some interesting things. For example, I received a Joan of Arc type event which I believe is new to Sons of Abraham. It occurred just after Scotland invaded; a young woman with a martial skill of 33 appeared in my court and was available to lead my troops. This led to an entire event chain depicting the tension that erupted in game between the nobles and church and this Joan of Arc like figure.

So I played both the demo for EU4 and CK2.

Decided to pick up CK2 Collection 75% on GMG and picked up the other 3 DLCs not included, SoA and a couple $2 unit graphics.

I am pretty excited and scared at the same time lol. It is a pretty overwhelming experience when I played the demo, even though some of the steps were bugged. But I looked up and noticed it went from 9PM when the wife and baby went to sleep.. and it was 2AM. It really sucked me in and wouldn't let me go.

I am having a hard time with all of the terminology and titles, etc. Maybe its because I'm American and the most I know about all of these is Game of Thrones.. ha.. :(

ag-my001

When I was learning EU3 (and CK2), I tended to just go as I could, figuring out mechanics until I got a hang of them. Every so often I would discover something completely new, changing the way I looked at and played the game. I'm hoping for something like that here.

Is there any way to fabricate/create claims on entire duchies or kingdoms? If not, is there a way to press multiple claims of vassals at once? It takes forever going one county at a time and dealing with truces, even with de jure claims. Have I been missing something gigantic?

There are ideas you can unlock that will give you a permanent casus belli against other religions, government types, or specific geographic areas.

Edit: I'm talking about EU4.

Haly

Is there any way to fabricate/create claims on entire duchies or kingdoms? If not, is there a way to press multiple claims of vassals at once? It takes forever going one county at a time and dealing with truces, even with de jure claims. Have I been missing something gigantic?
Speaking as Norse:

Every one of your rulers gets one shot at declaring war on another Nordic country.

In general:

If you're a religious leader, you can call Holy wars on entire Duchies at a time and Great Holy Wars on entire Kingdoms once every 30 years I think, but only if the opposing ruler is not of your religion.

There are claims for entire kingdoms, usually as a result of inheritance laws. You can look for people with claims on a kingdom or duchy by clicking the place's emblem and checking the claimants tab. What you do then is marry them into your family so that their offspring is of your bloodline, and then when they inherit the claim (usually lasts only one generation if not pressed), you can declare war by pressing their claim for them.

Mgoblue201

When I was learning EU3 (and CK2), I tended to just go as I could, figuring out mechanics until I got a hang of them. Every so often I would discover something completely new, changing the way I looked at and played the game. I'm hoping for something like that here.

In very rare cases, a highly skilled chancellor may fabricate claims on entire duchies, though not kingdoms. I've only seen this occur a few times. The more reliable strategy is to find a character with a claim on a duchy, invite him to your court, land him, and then press the claim. As long as the title you are claiming is of a lesser rank than your own, it will become part of your realm upon winning the war. Because this character is probably just fodder to bring his duchy within the boundaries of your realm, and you have no actual plans to allow him to retain the title you just pressed for him, you can then start a plot to take back the original county you gave him. More then likely he'll revolt, and after you crush him you can leave him languishing in prison or just strip him of his duchy title (preferably both). At least that's what I do. Sure, because you pressed his claim, he'll probably have a +100 opinion of you and be a very pliant vassal, but taking back the same county will allow you to do this trick over and over and over without diminishing the size of your own domain. Plus, I like to keep my realm clean and organized.

There are other strategies (such as killing characters to end truces), but most of them are very slow or subject to the vagaries of the game.

Top Bottom