• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Bumping this because they finally confirmed that they shot a video for my favorite song on the album, Ain't it Fun

tumblr_mx7hynnw3j1r42o4cv4.jpg

http://paramore.tumblr.com/post/68831689210/we-shot-a-video-today-for-aint-it-fun-this-time
I've got to admit, I love that cheese. The intro just bursts out of the speakers, that super clean bass and snare rhythm with the melody slowly rising behind. The production on that album is insane.

I think that's what rubbed a lot of people up about this record (me included initially), the super poppy, electro tinged production. It's a departure from muff pedals and feedback to be sure, but it's a damn fine pop record.

That said, I wouldn't be upset if they dialled the punk up and the pop down a little on the next album.
Hope they do a new album soon. :D
Patience young Jedi. They just finished up the tour, they probably want to chill for a bit.

But yes, more please!

gif for new page:

BrDzZNF.jpg

Such a dreamboat that Hayley.

Blink Me

I think my favourite Paramore album is their first one All We Know Is Failing. Then probably Brand New Eyes then Riot. Not really into the new album that much but don't mind some of the songs on it. I had such a huge crush on Hayley when I was about 19/20. Never Let This Go is probably my favourite song.

Andrew.

Banned
New vid shouldve been for Part II, but it probably wouldve been butchered to cut down track time and we'd probably lose alot of that fuckawesome drum solo/bridge.

Best song on the newest album in my opinion.

NinjaBoiX

Aww yiss, new posts. Quite proud of this little thread, still ticking away.

That video for Ain't It Fun was a good laugh, nice idea too. That radio edit was horrible though, they messed with production as well as chopping bits out.

Blink, I've got to go with Whoa from All We Know, super cheesy chorus (which she readily mocks when they play it live) but I love the chugging rhythm on the verses before exploding into that chorus, especially the last one. I've got a soft spot for All We Know too.

Andrew I think I agree about Part II, so good man. They played at when I went to see them last year, second last track. Jammed it out at the end too, of course! And yeah, that drum solo bit is ridiculous.

Speaking of them jamming it out at the end, the one at 3:30 onwards here is one of their best IMO. Particularly the last minute or so. It stirs my beans:

Let The Flames Begin (Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013)

Peru

This album is too good. The general critical (and commercial of course) good-will Paramore seems to have attained with this album is so heartwarming.

NinjaBoiX

Had no idea Haley has ze nude leakz.

I saw them.

Almost gave me a heart attack.
Dude, the first post dropped that bombshell.

strafer pls

Tf9PV5Q.png

Her boobs do look pretty nice, especially as she was ly dow too. Much perkage.
This album is too good. The general critical (and commercial of course) good-will Paramore seems to have attained with this album is so heartwarming.
Yeah man, that's a nice way of putting it. Nasty split up episode behind them, they seem to be having an absolute blast as a threesome, you can tell they love what they do for a living.

WmnzV8D.jpg

YNBbJjn.jpg

jdIQTi1.jpg

Daww's and things.
I saw on her twitter that they are starting prelim work on the next album. :D
Really? That's sweet! I wonder if Ilan is on board for the next one. I hope so, dude is a beast.

I should really check twitter more often, I barely look at it.

Blink Me

Blink, I've got to go with Whoa from All We Know, super cheesy chorus (which she readily mocks when they play it live) but I love the chugging rhythm on the verses before exploding into that chorus, especially the last one. I've got a soft spot for All We Know too.

I think I love every song off of that album. It's impressive as well since most of them were between the ages of 15-20 I think when it was released. Do they play much live from it anymore though other than Pressure? Whoas good but when I listen to it I think of this NOFX song called Whoa on the Whoas which was aimed at the Offspring and AFI for using Whoa too much.

Sai-kun

Banned
I totally forgot to post a review from the show I went to last year. Their setlist was soooo good. The only things missing from it were Renegade and Monster. Aside from that, it was pretty much perfect. Part II live was SO GOOD. Like, they fucking slayed.

Need to see them againnnnn

NinjaBoiX

I hope they have Ilan on there, he's a great musician.
Yeah, the drums are always so front and centre in their mixes. Luckily Zac was superb for such a fledgling musician and Ilan is just an old hand, absolutely incredible drummer. His solo on Part II is godly.
In love with all these GIFs. <3 Paramore
Might as well, I have carte blanche in this thread!

A6fklnC.jpg

Jh0jRnT.jpg

ayuRp68.jpg

ucSLvXQ.jpg

49tl1sL.jpg

I think I love every song off of that album. It's impressive as well since most of them were between the ages of 15-20 I think when it was released. Do they play much live from it anymore though other than Pressure? Whoas good but when I listen to it I think of this NOFX song called Whoa on the Whoas which was aimed at the Offspring and AFI for using Whoa too much.
They didn't play much from AWKIF when I went to see them. Shame, it's one of their better records. The drumming on Conspriacy is wicked.
I totally forgot to post a review from the show I went to last year. Their setlist was soooo good. The only things missing from it were Renegade and Monster. Aside from that, it was pretty much perfect. Part II live was SO GOOD. Like, they fucking slayed.

Need to see them againnnnn
Yeah man, I had an absolute blast. I loved that they interspersed the set list with the three ukelele tracks from Paramore, it was a nice little period of respite. Really good show it was, I'd definitely go again!

While I'm here, might as well post a pretty cool cover from a band called Pheonix. Nice little tune with an infectious chorus. Really good performance too:

Paramore - Long Distance Call (live)

BJK

Ordered my ticket for Summerfest (7/5, Milwaukee, WI) when they went on sale. Going to be my first time seeing them live. Can't wait!

Faith

There is a Paramore OT? Awesome!

Started to listen to them 7 years ago and saw them last year live in Zurich. One of my fav. bands out there, never disappointed me.

NinjaBoiX

There is a Paramore OT? Awesome!
Yeah, it was pretty busy for a month or so when the new record was out, but it's been super quiet of late.

I haven't even updated the OP with the new album info yet! I must remember to do that tonight.
Picked this gem up for Record Store day: http://instagram.com/p/m-g9qKP8OL/
That's pretty cool Sai.
Funny this popped up now considering I bought tickets to see them and Fall Out Boy in August last week.
Enjoy man, I've only seen them once but they were amazing. Be sure to post impressions after the gig!

I just had to bump this thread, as I'm listening to the self-titled album again for the first time in a month or so, and seriously, it's soooooo good.

I only discovered this album earlier this year. I might describe this as my guilty pleasure (along with Sia, this is the poppiest music in my collection), but I feel that it's a back handed compliment. It's a genuinely great album.

So, firstly, production. Man, this album sounds so fresh. It totally pops out of the speakers. I've listened to it many times over the past few months, and it still sounds so vibrant. There's some great guitar and bass tones in here (most notably the bass in Ain't It Fun and the guitars in the chorus of Now), and the vocals sit in a very nice place in the mix too - prominant, and definitely up front, but without drowning anything out.

Secondly, this album is hook city. Seriously, Hayley can write some serious melodies. It's not just the melodies, though, it's the delivery (or phrasing, I guess?). The best parts of Still Into You are the verse vocals, which have an awesome sort-of 'descending staccato' phrase ("I need the other one to hold you"), and a nice bit of sneering attitude. OK, maybe that's not true - the handclaps are probably the best part!

Thirdly, I still cannot get over that for an album with 14 full tracks and 3 wonderful and adorable ukelele interludes, there is not a single bad track on this album. Sure, some are stronger than others, but every single track is of very high quality. That just feels so rare for a relatively long album. Hell, it's rare for a short album. Faves include Last Hope, Ain't It Fun, Future, (One of those) Crazy Girls. I think Part II is probably the weakest, as it's a bit by-the-numbers for me, but still a very strong track.

I've gone back and listened to their earlier albums on Spotify, but I can't really get into it. They have some good songs spread among those albums, but the albums themselves feel a bit bland. I don't know, they seem... immature? I think this self-titled album was a huge step up for them. By shedding their pop-punk roots and embracing pop wholeheartedly, they seem to have a newfound confidence and which shines through in every aspect of this album, from the songwriting to the production.

Anyway, just wanted to gush a little bit. I'm sure you understand! ;)

EDIT: Just been scanning the thread. Looks like I might be in the minority a little here haha! Most people seem to like the earlier "punkier" stuff. Hmmm. It's interesting, because most of the time my tastes lean far more to punk/hard rock than anything like Paramore, but I guess I prefer my pop 'poppy', and my punk 'rough' haha.

NinjaBoiX

Btilliant post SpaceShark, I agree with almost all of it. (Part II is amazeballs though, that drum solo in the last two minutes never fails to dip my biscuit). And perfect description of the clean, sharp production "popping" out of the speakers, the intro to Ain't It Fun is like aural Rice Krispies.

And this is the exact reason I love Hayley's vocal:

SpaceShark said:
"The best parts of Still Into You are the verse vocals, which have an awesome sort-of 'descending staccato' phrase ("I need the other one to hold you"), and a nice bit of sneering attitude."

She's so incredibly capable vocally that she could just sweetly sing the melodies and it would still sound great. But her true talent is imbuing those hooks with that inimitable verve and swagger of hers, that biting snarl and unabashed self-confidence in her inflection. She knows went to cut a phrase short to give it a swift, punchy delivery, and when to hold out a long note with a gloriously overblown wail to go all emo on the choruses and stuff.

She's amazing.

And I share your feeling with the guilty pleasure thing, this type of band is so not my bag usually, but damn they're good at what they do. Paramore is my most played album last year, without a doubt. It's like musical smack.

And I share your feeling with the guilty pleasure thing, this type of band is so not my bag usually, but damn they're good at what they do. Paramore is my most played album last year, without a doubt. It's like musical smack.
Ha ha, I know what you mean! It's not my usual thing either, but I keep coming back to this album again and again, and it hasn't gotten old for me yet.

I remember having a friendly disagreement with you in another thread once about which is the best Portishead album, so by that mere fact alone, your 'good taste' credentials are rock solid by me
even if you were wrong ;)

strafer

I just had to bump this thread, as I'm listening to the self-titled album again for the first time in a month or so, and seriously, it's soooooo good.

I only discovered this album earlier this year. I might describe this as my guilty pleasure (along with Sia, this is the poppiest music in my collection), but I feel that it's a back handed compliment. It's a genuinely great album.

So, firstly, production. Man, this album sounds so fresh. It totally pops out of the speakers. I've listened to it many times over the past few months, and it still sounds so vibrant. There's some great guitar and bass tones in here (most notably the bass in Ain't It Fun and the guitars in the chorus of Now), and the vocals sit in a very nice place in the mix too - prominant, and definitely up front, but without drowning anything out.

Secondly, this album is hook city. Seriously, Hayley can write some serious melodies. It's not just the melodies, though, it's the delivery (or phrasing, I guess?). The best parts of Still Into You are the verse vocals, which have an awesome sort-of 'descending staccato' phrase ("I need the other one to hold you"), and a nice bit of sneering attitude. OK, maybe that's not true - the handclaps are probably the best part!

Thirdly, I still cannot get over that for an album with 14 full tracks and 3 wonderful and adorable ukelele interludes, there is not a single bad track on this album. Sure, some are stronger than others, but every single track is of very high quality. That just feels so rare for a relatively long album. Hell, it's rare for a short album. Faves include Last Hope, Ain't It Fun, Future, (One of those) Crazy Girls. I think Part II is probably the weakest, as it's a bit by-the-numbers for me, but still a very strong track.

I've gone back and listened to their earlier albums on Spotify, but I can't really get into it. They have some good songs spread among those albums, but the albums themselves feel a bit bland. I don't know, they seem... immature? I think this self-titled album was a huge step up for them. By shedding their pop-punk roots and embracing pop wholeheartedly, they seem to have a newfound confidence and which shines through in every aspect of this album, from the songwriting to the production.

Anyway, just wanted to gush a little bit. I'm sure you understand! ;)

EDIT: Just been scanning the thread. Looks like I might be in the minority a little here haha! Most people seem to like the earlier "punkier" stuff. Hmmm. It's interesting, because most of the time my tastes lean far more to punk/hard rock than anything like Paramore, but I guess I prefer my pop 'poppy', and my punk 'rough' haha.

Yes.

Is it weird that I liked Paramore up until their self titled? I feel like that's uncommon, as everyone I know loves that album, and it just doesn't click with me.

Subbed just because I started falling for Hayley after seeing GIFs of her being super cute.

Also, their pop/pop-punk hooks are always so damn catchy.

NinjaBoiX

I really should update the OP with the Paramore album info, I'm way late to doing that! I'll get around to it.
Is it weird that I liked Paramore up until their self titled? I feel like that's uncommon, as everyone I know loves that album, and it just doesn't click with me.
No, it's a common opinion. I didn't at first, felt like there was too much sugar. But as SpaceShark said, once you let get used to the new sound, it really is a fantastically well written and superbly produced collection of pop music.
The red is coming back! I love how wild and impulsive she is with her hair, just wakes up on a morning and is like, "screw it, I'm doing this today".
Subbed just because I started falling for Hayley after seeing GIFs of her being super cute.
AIS41hZ.jpg

I don't know what you mean...

Bonus gif, because she looks so amazing with her cute little scarf and Cleopatra eye make up:

nw47l.gif

And just because it genuinely amuses me:

2syqRGv.jpg

I had a bit of a Paramore binge at work today. After self-titled, I tried Brand New Eyes and Riot! again on Spotify. Definitely enjoyed Brand New Eyes more this time around, still not sure about Riot!. Haven't gone al the way back to the first one yet, though.

I hope they make a new album soon.
Yeah. I really like the choatic noise at the end of Future, and I'd love to see them branch out and get dark on a new album. Like, proper dark. All that energy and pop sensibility married to some noise and chaos. It'll probably never happen, but it'd be glorious.

Bri

Just found out about this band. Last few days Paramore (the album) is the only thing I've been listening to.

/subbed

So at my work ain't it fun is always on I'm not gonna lie I did not know that was Paramore lol they sound so different now but in a good way that song is so contagious you just have to sing with it lol

BluLancer

Neo Member
Virginia Beach on July 29th! Really want to go, but I don't want to see Fall Out Boy. Dilemma.

I saw the Monumentour show in NY. It went New Politics to Paramore and ended with Fall Out Boy. Not sure if that carries through to every show, but if it does, you could leave after them. Their set is between 1.5 - 2 hours long and it is great. I saw them twice on the Self-Titled Tour and they definitely carried the energy (and exceeded it in many ways) on the Monumentour. I'd definitely recommend it if you can.

Also, I don't care if I fall in some weird minority, but Paramore > Brand New Eyes > Riot! > All We Know is Falling. All their albums have gotten better and better. If Future is some kind of indication of where they want the next album to go, I am the conductor of that hype train.

Ain't It Fun is a fantastic song. It got me to listen to the rest of the album. Refreshing, catchy rock played with infectious zest. I'm impressed how Hayley has really mature phrasing in her singing style. Very good stuff.

Enosh

I'm with you
I tried a few times to listen to this newest one and some songs are kinda catchy but they are no where as good as Riot or All we know is falling

maybe it's just this part
By shedding their pop-punk roots and embracing pop wholeheartedly
my music preferences are in a completely different direction and I've always considered paramore as a guilty pleasure type of thing, guess they just went in a different direction than what i would have liked

Auctopus

Seeing them at Reading Festival in August, can't wait.

I always liked Paramore growing up but when I saw them live for the first time (Reading 2010) they absolutely blew me away. One of the last gigs of them as a five-set as well.

NinjaBoiX

Seeing them at Reading Festival in August, can't wait.
Sweet, have a blast!
good job on this OT thread Ninjabikes!
Thanks man. I finally updated the OP with the "Paramore" deets, I was only 15 months late! I deleted the Farro's from the band info too, seems a bit weird now.
Plenty more pictures where this one came from...
Nice shots man, her hair is so crazy at the minute! Mental outfit too, kickboxing shorts, lol. She really does just wear whatever the fuck she wants.

Love it.
they are coming to my town in a month or so with fallout boy, I prefer their older stuff, when they werent down two members.
Meh, Taylor is a far better guitarist than Josh, he isn't missed for my money. And they always employ really talented drummers, I hope they get Ilan back for the next record.

BJK

Nice shots man, her hair is so crazy at the minute! Mental outfit too, kickboxing shorts, lol. She really does just wear whatever the fuck she wants.

Love it.

As the devotee of Paramore / Hayley photos, I'm glad my photoset gets the seal of approval. I'd have taken more pics, but the security informed me that my camera was considered "professional" under the house rules, and that I had to put it away.
I have a DSLR, but it's entry-level at best...and the only lens I had with me is literally the cheapest one that Canon sells.
All of those were taken during the first 4 songs of their set.

On just about anyone else, the combination of the hair and outfit would look odd. On her, it somehow makes sense. Plus, the bright colors are a welcome distinction before the all-black-everything Fall Out Boy performance that closes the tour. (I don't hate...knew most of their songs actually. They just don't thrill me the way Paramore does. Plus, the serious-quotient on the F.O.B. set is high.)

they are coming to my town in a month or so with fallout boy, I prefer their older stuff, when they werent down two members.

If it matters, they played 2 songs from their first album during the tour...or at least they did Saturday
"Pressure" and "Emergency"
as well as a number of songs from the Riot era.
If you don't feel like you want to go see the current lineup, I won't try to dissuade you too much; speaking from personal experience, I know that I had a chance to see them swing through town a few years before - when they opened for No Doubt's reunion tour - and I passed on it. Regretted that for a few years, until I finally managed to see them live this time around.

They put on a good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom