• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jisgsaw

That's for sure (and thank god for that, it's beautiful).
But it literally isn't a roman empire anymore. For a group that is condemning any change to the Quran because it's the word of God and necessarily perfect, that's one serious oversight.

But it literally isn't a roman empire anymore. For a group that is condemning any change to the Quran because it's the word of God and necessarily perfect, that's one serious oversight.

You mean... they're wrong? mind = blown

Ape

Banned

But but but... Architectural influences!!!

Nivash

Point is that it's simple enough to make a stupid conspiracy theory about the West being a continuation of the Roman Empire when we ourselves tried to recreate our nations in its image during the Clacissical period. If Christian fundamentalists and even literalists can torture the Bible to make the US into representing the Whore of Babylon I'm pretty sure ISIS scholars can find some way to convince their followers that West = Rome.

Religious fundamentalists aren't actually that faithful to their texts. ISIS needs to find some way to explain why the Quran isn't outright wrong about Rome anyway, if they accept that Rome is gone forever that's a much larger error to explain away than simply repainting the West as Rome. Hell, just state that Christianity is a Roman religion (which it kinda is, actually) and you're done: Christians = Romans.

jstripes

Banned
Well, for a group that is said to take the Quran literally, that'd be a shame.
Their argument is that the Quran is the word of God, and therefore necessarly right, right? So it should say "ennemies of the west" or something like that, not roman empire.

/s, though I'd be interested to hear how ISIS supporters would get out of that one

Something like this, I imagine:

OC3WDDk.jpg

Jesus, so the mastermind of these Paris attacks is still at large? Fucking terrifying
There's no certainty that piece of shit was anywhere west of Greece in 2015.
I saw a few commenters make the unsubstantiated assumption he's in Raqqa to explain why we're pounding that town. But there's probably already a dozen good reasons to bomb that city.

I hope this fucker gets what's coming to him.

Cappa

Banned
During these circumstances I don't think we could name one big city in Europe safe. It's the tragic truth. I don't even want to think about what this did to tourism in Paris....

people already out in the streets, having a drink in terraces meters away from the terrorist attacks.

Yep, Paris, France, and europe in general will rise above this.

I'm pretty sure if you went around telling people with flag profile photos that it was meaningless they wouldn't take it in a good way.

That's why I asked on here, rather than on facebook. I tend to keep my views to myself in that form of public, social forum, unless I think they'll benefit anyone... but putting things up for fair, honest discussion is always positive, in my opinion, as it's nice to see others perspectives without offending anyone.

That said, just because someone is liable to get certain people offended doesn't mean I'm wrong, either.

iamblades

latest

arc-de-triomphe-3.jpg

6839-004-8C944D0C.jpg

buckingham-palace-21976488.jpg

Vatican-City-008.jpg

The West looks pretty damn Roman if you ask me.

Only the second of those is Roman( and technically the last is Roman inspired, but that's kind of cheating), the rest are Greek revival.

Basically all of the big government buildings in the US are Greek inspired, because the founding fathers respected the Greek ideals of democracy. Rome not so much.

people already out in the streets, having a drink in terraces meters away from the terrorist attacks.

Yep, Paris, France, and europe in general will rise above this.
I'll be honest, we were pretty unproductive today, so at noon, after that moment of silence, we headed to this wine fair on a boat, tasted and bought food and wine, because fuck it. That didn't help work but made the day slightly better.

Only the second of those is Roman( and technically the last is Roman inspired, but that's kind of cheating), the rest are Greek revival.

Basically all of the big government buildings in the US are Greek inspired, because the founding fathers respected the Greek ideals of democracy. Rome not so much.

"Greek" and "Roman" are the same thing in the Quran. This is because the Byzantines (Greeks) called themselves "Romans" back then.

Alx

Damn. I have massive respect for these guys.

Yeah, many of them were the same guys who entered the jewish supermarket last january, and they said the Bataclan was much, much worse. Tiny places, heavily armed opponents and civilians everywhere. :(

I love how pro-deportation/anti-refugee peeps are SUDDENLY really concerned with our homeless population and veterans. Apparently our resources are so limited that we can't take care of both!

Cloyster

Banned
It's their way of showing how much they care. Some might be sincere, others disingenuous. You can usually tell who's who by the frequency and target of their solidarity.

Have a really superficial, and non-tech savvy friend who was fussing over which picture to put the filter on for like 10 minutes.

She said something along the lines of "I want to choose a picture that doesn't look too superficial and shallow, like I'm making it about me."

I busted her chops over the irony.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They must have ran out of grenades thankfully.

The witnesses inside said they used grenades on the clumps of people inside. I think by the time the cops showed up they had already done most of the damage to the hostages and they were just holed up waiting to blow up their belts.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So what happened to the people hanging from the windowsills of the concert hall in that video?

They lived. Apparently the woman hanging from the windowsill was also pregnant.

Also, fucking people on my FB posting that pic of the aftermath at the Bataclan can fuck off. Insensitive assholes.

I didn't say it was bad though, did I? I said it was meaningless. The second quote doesn't make much sense generically applying models of anxiety to this scenario without much thought. If you suspect someone that might be affected, you should SHOW that you care, not about France as a nation, but about them, and their well being.
The people of Paris wanted folks to put a candle in the window to show support. This is like that but on a global, social networking level. Same when people wear ribbons. It's a show of support, nothing more, nothing less.

Too difficult to make out from the bad quality. However, i think it's a bit farfetched to think the guy would still be hiding in plain sight in Paris (is that where the video is taken?). Someone winking and smiling at a tv camera is also nothing new is it?

It's taken from sky news on the Saturday or Sunday & it looks very much like him. If you scroll down the comments to the video, you will see pictures of him next to video pic

The people of Paris wanted folks to put a candle in the window to show support. This is like that but on a global, social networking level. Same when people wear ribbons. It's a show of support, nothing more, nothing less.

Least that's almost meaningful, taking some semblance of effort. Again, it's the 'click to show I give a fuck' nature of this that I dislike, because I don't see it as showing support in many cases, but rather a social desirability bias influencing behaviour. Most of the people who I know that clicked the button to change their profile pictures would not have done anything, if the task was respively more complex.

Joni

Didn't he supposedely cross a border check after the attacks so it would be strange for him to be back in Paris?

Didn't he supposedely cross a border check after the attacks so it would be strange for him to be back in Paris?

Don't know when he crossed the border, but the video is taken by sky news on the saturday/Sunday. It's the wink & smile at the end of the video as he passes by, which is like a WTF moment

Joni

Don't know when he crossed the border, but the video is taken by sky news on the saturday/Sunday. It's the wink & smile at the end of the video as he passes by, which is like a WTF moment
Immediately after the attacks, before they could get his alert out to border security.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Won't be long before they're accusing Iran of using PS4's to develop a nuke.

It's just Fox "News" doing its usual anti video games spiel without an ounce of intelligence or effort. The attackers could easily have used Snapchat or Facebook messenger but FN wouldn't have given a shit.

I just saw this sensationalist tripe on the local NBC news. They actually had two correspondents showing off the ZOMG AMAZING technology of the PS4, with one sending the other one a text chat. As for nukes...there actually WERE rumors before the Iraq War that Saddam was importing thousands of PS2s to make some sort of supercomputer network to build chemical weapons or some nonsense.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom