• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
What kind of help are we talking about here?

I don't think its anything specific, rather its just a commitment to help France. To quote: "Today the EU, through the voices of all the member states, unanimously expressed its strongest full support and readiness to give the assistance needed."

Doesn't commit them to anything substantial. If France invokes NATO Article 5, then that would represent a more concrete call for military support.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do you read the posts (and articles) you answer to or you just try to convince yourself that you are right ?

Read again the quotes I picked from the article, which support the fact that Assad and his regime are responsible for the rise of Daech in Syria. It means that the actions he has taken have, at the end of the process, greatly contributed in the growth of Deach's army, leaders, supports and finally territorial conquests in Syria (but obviously it goes further since we all know that attacks on Europe are planned from Syrian territories).

You can deny all the facts. You can say that I am "naive" and "propagandistic". But all you do is supporting Assad's official version. Which is naive and propagandistic, not to say dangerous and stupid.

If you don't know how to read, or don't want to, what has been written in order to mislead others, please abstain yourself.

It's only one ISIS. There aren't two factions, one in Syria and one in Iraq, You can say that Assad helped ISIS expand in Syria. But to blame the existence of ISIS on Assad and based on that to say that it is more important to fight Assad than ISIS is very close to propaganda. Currently ISIS is much of a threat for everybody outside Syria than Assad is. More so, if you topple Assad before taking care of ISIS you only give ISIS more playground. Ideally it should be done in parallel, but it seems rather unfeasible.

Just saw this popping up on my timeline. Maria sure is something else.

image.png

The Russian plane which was brought down by an explosive. Can't read the Russian though.

Yeah, the Russians have concluded that Metrojet Flight 9268 was brought down by a homemade device of one kilogram.

Moscow could also become a target. The Muslim population in Russia is around 7%, similar to France, although they are not immigrants.

Syria is a strange game with many players and nobody knows the score.

cackhyena

There's a video labeled Most Disturbing Muslim 'Refugee' Video You Will Ever See making the rounds on my fb feed. It's infuriating the hate and fear that will breed.

Cappa

Banned
They raised the terror alert for Belgium from 2 to 3, with 3 being serious threats and 4 being an active situation. It is in that light Belgium versus Spain got cancelled.

I would say it sends a bad signal, but on the other hand, no Red Devils in the newspaper tomorrow kinda makes up for it.
Should I be travelling to Brussels in a couple of weeks? The US embassy alerts doesn't say anything...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just received an email from the organization behind the Prodigy concert tomorrow; they're upping security, no bags are allowed inside the venue, everyone will be subjected to a frisk-search.

Glad they're taking this seriously without cancelling the concert altogether.

EGM1966

Should I be travelling to Brussels in a couple of weeks? The US embassy alerts doesn't say anything...
Statistically you're safer than crossing many roads. I know there's a strong instinct to cancel but really you're not statistically in more danger than before.

Benedict

Yes, the same question is something many europeans are asking themselves when travelling to "random big city" in USA.
Lots of gun-crazy drugged maniacs roaming the streets.

Is that reasonable?

There's a video labeled Most Disturbing Muslim 'Refugee' Video You Will Ever See making the rounds on my fb feed. It's infuriating the hate and fear that will breed.

What is the content of the video? From your reaction, I'm sure it's probably just thousands of refugees and it's disturbing to the people that don't want them here.

If the video had refugees stabbing old ladies or cooking and eating children or something, then it would be the most disturbing muslim refugee video.

I'm sure it's not the second one though, and it's just tired, hungry and scared people.

thefro

US and Turkey to secure Northern Syrian border

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday the United States is starting an operation with Turkey to finish securing the northern Syrian border, an area that Islamic State militants have used as a lucrative smuggling route.

"The entire border of northern Syria - 75 percent of it has now been shut off. And we are entering an operation with the Turks to shut off the other remaining 98 km (61 miles)," he said in an interview with CNN.

Kerry arrived in Paris on Monday to pay respects to victims of Friday's militant attacks that killed 129 people.

The area where the operations would take place is now controlled by the radical Islamists. The United States and Turkey hope that by sweeping Islamic State, also frequently called Daesh, from that border zone they can deprive it of a smuggling route which has seen its ranks swell with foreign fighters and its coffers boosted by illicit trade.

Under a long-discussed joint U.S.-Turkish plan, moderate Syrian rebels, trained by the U.S. army, would be expected to fight Islamic State on the ground and help coordinate air strikes by the U.S. coalition, launched from Turkish air bases, under the strategy drawn up by Washington and Ankara.

Diplomats familiar with the plans have said cutting off one of Islamic State's lifelines could be a game-changer in that corner of Syria's complex war. The core of the rebels, who number less than 60, would be highly equipped and be able to call in close air support when needed, they say.

"We are in a common struggle with the U.S. against Daesh and in the coming days some steps will be taken together," a Turkish official told Reuters, declining to comment further.

After watching Bond, I wonder how many sleeper agents intelligence agencies around the world have managed to secure some sort of places in ISIS.

Must be some terrifying shit.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The people arrested in germany earlier today arent related to paris attacks

German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere says the arrests of five people in the western town of Alsdorf, near Aachen, do not appear to be directly linked to the Paris attacks.
From bbc

Guardian have detailed article on the bataclan with police very good read for people wanting to know what was going on betwee. Police the terrorists and the hostages etc

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ntes-hell-harrowing-details-of-bataclan-siege

So now they're looking for a guy in The Netherlands (in Kerkrade)?
Some lady cashier in a store said she recognised him...
Near Aachen Germany.

The people arrested in germany earlier today arent related to paris attacks

From bbc

Guardian have detailed article on the bataclan with police very good read for people wanting to know what was going on betwee. Police the terrorists and the hostages etc

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ntes-hell-harrowing-details-of-bataclan-siege

maybe it's this.. Not sure though

cackhyena

What is the content of the video? From your reaction, I'm sure it's probably just thousands of refugees and it's disturbing to the people that don't want them here.

If the video had refugees stabbing old ladies or cooking and eating children or something, then it would be the most disturbing muslim refugee video.

I'm sure it's not the second one though, and it's just tired, hungry and scared people.
It's this one.
http://youtu.be/exmLzkPPEWo

Big Nikus

He's one of the best reporters we have in France imo, I've learned a lot of things thanks to him and it's crazy how many times he put himself in danger, in Ouganda, Irak or Syria near the frontlines of battles.
He's also a very good interviewer, asks difficult question without being agressive, and always let people express their feelings.
Kudos to him once again, this video is really heart-warming. And the dad is awesome.

Joni

Relatively safe. Unless you go to Molenbeek or Anderlecht, it is a quite average city. We have military hanging around the entire city, so all noteworthy targets are protected.

Different than this?

BND said:
Police brielfy sealed off the stadium staging the friendly between Germany and the Netherlands after finding a suspicious suitcase.

An Associated Press reporter was not let into the stadium about 2 1/2 hours before the kickoff on Tuesday. Fans were also held back.

Police spokeswoman Stephanie Weiss said a suspicious object was found at the stadium. Police later opened the doors and fans started coming in.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several cabinet ministers are expected to attend the match, which comes four days after the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom