• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

BBC saying they have also cleared a music venue?
Wrong, not true. Baseless rumours and debunked by Spiegel Online.
Laut Meldungen in den sozialen Netzwerken wird angeblich auch die Tui-Arena in Hannover evakuiert. Dort soll am Abend ein Konzert der Band "Söhne Mannheims" stattfinden. Die Polizei in Hannover weiß allerdings nichts davon. Auf Nachfrage von SPIEGEL ONLINE teilte ein Sprecher mit, ihm sei nichts von einer Absage oder Evakuierung bekannt.
According to reports in social networks the TUI-Arena in Hannover is evacuating. Tonight there is a concert of the band "Söhne Mannheims" taking place. The police of Hannover don't know of it however. On request of SPIEGEL ONLINE a speaker stated that that no cancellation or evacuation is known to him.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...-oestliche-mittelmeer-newsblog-a-1063112.html

But Sigmar Gabriel just said we don't need any more/ new safety measures?

Oh wait, right....Fuck Sigmar Gabriel and our politicians. Thank god we have the BND and good police.

Sucks for the fans though.
1. Gabriel is not responsible for safety issues. His opinions is irrelevant. 2. The responsible federal minister is de meziere and the state ministers of internal affairs. 3. The attack apparently was stopped by existing measures.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
English and french fans singing the french national hymn before the football match together.

Ugh, I know they're doing this out of a sense of unity and solidarity, but honestly, the French hymn is so ugly - not just musically, but thematically - that I wish they wouldn't sing it any more. I mean it's just a military march talking about taking arms and shedding the "impure blood" of our enemies. Not exactly a positive message.

Kuldar

Ugh, I know they're doing this out of a sense of unity and solidarity, but honestly, the French hymn is so ugly - not just musically, but thematically - that I wish they wouldn't sing it any more. I mean it's just a military march talking about taking arms and shedding the "impure blood" of our enemies. Not exactly a positive message.
Yeah, it was made during a war (the original title was "War Song for the Army of the Rhine"), so it's not a peacefull song. For the "impure blood", it was about french mercenaries who fought against the french army during the war against Austria in 1792.

Comments say they chant the names of dead turkish soldiers killed by kurds. Don't know why they thought that was the time and place for that, though.

There was chanting during Slovenia - Ukraine game minute of silence too. I can't deny that some of those were Ukrainians, but I can't blame them either. Thousands of dead as a result of Russian aggression in Ukraine is more hurtful and EU didn't give a shit... To add to the insult the announcement was made in Russian.

cocopuffs

Banned
Man this entire situation is fucked. And honestly I don't think there really is a solution to terrorism. How can you reason with people holding such irrational beliefs?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/666729015739342848?lang=en
CORRECTION: Police are looking to identify this man, saying he was one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France
CUCsV5tWcAE11W1.jpg

edit: this was one of the suicide bombers

It's a symbol of national unity. The symbolic meaning has long outgrew the literal meaning of the lyrics.

Fun fact: In France, the disco song "I Will Survive" is basically the unofficial theme song of the French team's victory at 1998 FIFA World Cup. The song's lyrics are about breaking up with a lover, which has nothing to do with football, but the song is still unequivocally associated with the French team's victory because the team liked that song or something. It's all a matter of context.

allftw

Neo Member
They are upset that Turkish deaths from PKK terrorism don't get minute silences in the West.

And last month they were upset about the Ankara attack getting a minute's silence.

I'm ashamed of living among people like this. Thankfully there are not many people like this around me but.. I'm just amazed that these assholes expect respect for their dead when they don't even show it themselves.

FDC1

This bullshit again? The "impure blood" describes the blood of the regular french people in opposition of the "pure blood" of the nobility. That part says they're ready to risk their lifes and shed their blood for their fight. It's THEIR blood, not the blood of a foreign enemy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's a symbol of national unity. The symbolic meaning has long outgrew the literal meaning of the lyrics.

Fun fact: In France, the disco song "I Will Survive" is basically the unofficial theme song of the French team's victory at 1998 FIFA World Cup. The song's lyrics are about breaking up with a lover, which has nothing to do with football, but the song is still unequivocally associated with the French team's victory because the team liked that song or something. It's all a matter of context.

I see your point, and I've thought about it. I agree that context matters, but I still can't bring myself to accept it. The thing with "I Will Survive" is that people only pay attention to the title and most well-known line in the song. With the French hymn, the very first line is "Aux armes, citoyens ! Formez vos bataillons !" That pretty much sets the tone, and it's hard to ignore if you think about it for even 1 second.

This bullshit again? The "impure blood" describes the blood of the regular french people in opposition of the "pure blood" of the nobility. That part says they're ready to risk their lifes and shed their blood for their fight. It's THEIR blood, not the blood of a foreign enemy.

Well, point taken. I learned something. Thank you, I retract my point about impure blood, but I stand by the rest. It's still a military march at heart, which I don't like.

Magni

I see your point, and I've thought about it. I agree that context matters, but I still can't bring myself to accept it. The thing with "I Will Survive" is that people only pay attention to the title and most well-known line in the song. With the French hymn, the very first line is "Aux armes, citoyens ! Formez vos bataillons !" That pretty much sets the tone, and it's hard to ignore if you think about it for even 1 second.

Well, point taken. I learned something. Thank you, I retract my point about impure blood, but I stand by the rest. It's still a military march at heart, which I don't like.

... that's not the first line (It's "Allons, enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé", "let's go, children of the Fatherland, the day of glory has come").

Alx

I personally love it that our hymn is a war song. First because nothing sounds as good as a martial march, and second because it remembers us that French identity was built in fights. It's not all birds and pretty flowers, our history is filled with blood and tears.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
... that's not the first line (It's "Allons, enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé", "let's go, children of the Fatherland, the day of glory has come").

Oh shit yeah, you're right. Biiig brainfart on my part. I meant the first line of the chorus. Let me crawl back into my hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom