• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

O.DOGG

The patch is awesome. I've been playing the beta for the last couple of days and I really like the changes. There are a couple of bugs here and there and some questionable decisions (can you say shields?) but overall it's a big step forward. If you want to sneak now you really have to pick your weapons and you can forget about sneaking in heavy armor which makes perfect sense. Weapon stats are clear and they finally did something about the Inspire skill which feels much more reliable now.

In other news I just hit level 100 and am very much looking forward to all new content Overkill have in store.

Magilla

Banned
I like the new stealth elements they put in place, but man Overkill is kind of brutal now. I had 6 dozers spawn during the first wave of the end of Rats not to mention untold amounts of shields and tazers. It certainly makes things more... interesting.

BibiMaghoo

lol

im pretty sure the console versions have not seen a single patch yet

At the rate they have been changing the game, I guess it makes little sense to. They need to finalise each part of the game and then patch the consoles. PC players get to ride out the bumps, and make the changes that are positive welcome and known.

Magilla

Banned
Small update.

Hey everyone,

We just published a quick hotfix, 3.4 mb in size.

- Fixed an issue where Shields would spawn in oversized groups

Thanks for the feedback!

Almir
OVERKILL - a Starbreeze Studio

Just picked this up for 360. Intend to play with a friend. Does it work as 2p coop? Also, should we have gone PC? Our laptops could barely run it but I'm concerned about the lack of patches for console.

Just picked this up for 360. Intend to play with a friend. Does it work as 2p coop? Also, should we have gone PC? Our laptops could barely run it but I'm concerned about the lack of patches for console.

You can play 2p, but I'd advice getting two other guys or make your lobby public. That's because moving tons of bags around is an essential part of the game and the AI (which will take the empty slots) won't interact with anything at all. They are quite decent at shooting and reviving, though.

Okay, cool.

Also, looks like console gamers will get a patch in the next few weeks (see 505's comments in this thread):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....10151135437954681.465301.370237404680&type=1

One other thing - I got a great deal on the game and I love the devs. Was thinking about picking up the Loot Pack off XBL. But I've heard levelling up in this game is very slow, so I don't want to spend the Loot Pack cash bundle on something worthless. For a newbie, what would you recommend spending the money on?

4 Store stealth is around 5 minutes. Just
manage to ECM one of the ATMs without being seen. Easy on the one in the food store, a bit tricky on the one outside on the street.

Another question: What are the best classes if you're playing 2P? Mastermind and Enforcer?
Depends on what you want to do. Techs are also quite useful.

Halloween Event/Update is live (PC): http://www.overkillsoftware.com/halloween/

- Interceptor .45 Handgun: accessible as long as you're in the PAYDAY 2 Steam Group.
- Bonus flashlight modification for secondary weapons.
- 4 new halloween-themed masks, each player gets a random one of these four, the rest drops only during the event.
- 6 new halloween-themed patterns, dropping only during the event.
- Mask inventory increase from 9 to 36 slots, seems to be upgradeable with in-game cash.
- 18 new achievements; 4 of them being secret halloween related, obtainable only during the event.
- Something called The Safehouse of Horrors, I guess a halloween heist?

SentryDown

The new maps are pretty disappointing, it's basically the same heist in five different locations with 2-4 trucks to drill/C4 with 11 boxes to picklock in each. For high-levels players, it's annoying and poorly rewarding but the main problem IMO is that you're constantly staying in the middle of a vast but useless map to restart the drills every 30 seconds.

Didn't try the secret train heist yet, files that are supposed to grant you access never spawned in 14 tries, it seems a better heist though (why do you make it so rare then Overkill ?!). There are new weapons and masks too, I tried it but I still prefer ones I'm used to.

So, pretty disappointed of this first DLC, 6€ is a decent price but I would prefer paying 10 for two fresh, long and original heist like Counterfeit and Undercover from Payday The Heist DLC.

Oreoleo

The new maps are pretty disappointing, it's basically the same heist in five different locations with 2-4 trucks to drill/C4 with 11 boxes to picklock in each. For high-levels players, it's annoying and poorly rewarding but the main problem IMO is that you're constantly staying in the middle of a vast but useless map to restart the drills every 30 seconds.

Didn't try the secret train heist yet, files that are supposed to grant you access never spawned in 14 tries, it seems a better heist though (why do you make it so rare then Overkill ?!). There are new weapons and masks too, I tried it but I still prefer ones I'm used to.

So, pretty disappointed of this first DLC, 6€ is a decent price but I would prefer paying 10 for two fresh, long and original heist like Counterfeit and Undercover from Payday The Heist DLC.

This mirror's my thoughts pretty much exactly. They pimped the DLC as 6 new heists and that's just really disingenuous considering the objectives are EXACTLY the same on 5 of them. Reminds me of pre-release when they said there were 17 heists in the game but then it turns out they were counting Bank:Cash, Bank:Gold, Bank:Deposit as separate heists and counting each day of a multi-day job as a separate heist as well. The Halloween event is probably the best thing they've done post-release but shit like this burns my good will for Overkill, quick.

That said, I haven't done the train heist yet but considering the multiple hours I've put into the transport jobs I feel like I'll be lucky to do it more than once before I get sick of doing the Transport heists over and over. Baffling design decision overall. Also, I actually kind of enjoy the Transport: Downtown heist due to the way you can hide in the upper floors of the buildings and use the catwalks to evade police while getting to the other side of the street. Reminds me of doing laps on Diamond Heist in Payday 1.

Still, considering they gave away a similar amount of content 2 weeks ago for the Halloween event AND a month ago on the 2 year Payday anniversary, asking $7 for this DLC seems a little stingy. Hopefully the other DLC's, which won't be given free to ~75% of the playerbase (those who pre-ordered), will be a little more substantial/unique and deserving of their asking price.

Valygar

I bought this with 3 more friends. We are having a blast! This is a mix of SWAT, left 4 dead, killing floor.

We have tried to go stealthy many times, but we fail at the end, usually because cameras see a dead body. Which heist is the easiest to do stealthy?

I'm going to level up tech, are c4 worth the trouble or should I also invest in other classes to be stealthier?

I saw this build but I don't want to invest so much in ghost:
Ghostnician

Omega

Banned
I bought this with 3 more friends. We are having a blast! This is a mix of SWAT, left 4 dead, killing floor.

We have tried to go stealthy many times, but we fail at the end, usually because cameras see a dead body. Which heist is the easiest to do stealthy?

I'm going to level up tech, are c4 worth the trouble or should I also invest in other classes to be stealthier?

I saw this build but I don't want to invest so much in ghost:
Ghostnician

Easiest to stealth is probably Framing Frame.

There's only four guards patrolling and one at the desk. With patience, even at a low level you can take the paintings without ever killing a guard. If you stealth day 1 then day 2 is a cakewalk. someone just has to watch out for the 3 civs near the exit.

Day 3 would be hard for new players since you probably don't have smooth talk/dominate and bagging corpses.

That build is also really great. You can pretty much do everything with ease except Day 1 Firestarter (C4/Saw is best for the trucks) and deposit boxes on the bank/armored transport DLC.

I don't know if anyone on GAF is still active on Payday, but anyone know the name of the new songs they added in the DLC? There's two new songs that aren't on the soundtrack.

SentryDown

New DLC and update if you missed it : http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageweaponpack01/

To sum up :

If you buy the DLC :
- 3 new weapons
- 4 new masks, patterns and materials
- grenades (why in DLC ?!), you have 3 at the start of the heist and you can't get more from ammo bag

For free :
- every weapon that was full-auto now has a switch to semi-automatic
- you can mod these weapon to lock it to auto or single fire (with a stat bonus)
- 36 weapons slots in the inventory instead of 9
- anyone can buy assets in the menu, no only the host
- anyone can buy the new asset : grenade bag (if the host own the DLC) and so, use grenades. Bag will spawn anywhere in the map just like when you buy medic or ammo bag assets
- new achievements (most of them aren't possible without the DLC tough)

geetec

Neo Member
New DLC and update if you missed it : http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageweaponpack01/

To sum up :

If you buy the DLC :
- 3 new weapons
- 4 new masks, patterns and materials
- grenades (why in DLC ?!), you have 3 at the start of the heist and you can't get more from ammo bag

Goddamn I'm stupid. I brought it because it's Payday 2 and I freaking love it, but imo I don't think this DLC is worth £3.99. Also, yeah, the grenade thing is dumb.

Instead what they could have done was free grenades for everyone alongside a new tab, for DLC, in the inventory where you could buy different kinds 'throwables' of like flashbangs, stun grenades and what not.
But then again, this is the #1 of the upcoming packs so it's likely they'll do it further down the line.

EDIT: Can't cook the grenades before throwing them! :<

Oreoleo

I think the whole idea of adding grenades is dumb. Power creep, and all that. Charging for it is icing on the cake.

Still waiting for Cloakers to show up, btw. Remember when they were advertised as being in the game at launch? Good times.

geetec

Neo Member
I think the whole idea of adding grenades is dumb. Power creep, and all that. Charging for it is icing on the cake.

Still waiting for Cloakers to show up, btw. Remember when they were advertised as being in the game at launch? Good times.

Apparently it's in the script, it's just a matter of them releasing it I guess. Were cloakers on the original PayDay?

Oreoleo

Apparently it's in the script, it's just a matter of them releasing it I guess. Were cloakers on the original PayDay?

Absolutely. Their low HP/insta-kill gambit is a big part of PD1's difficulty and arguably the most iconic enemy in the game (except for maybe bulldozers, the old glass shield mask design is so so good). Every time they release some new content that no one is asking for and continue to sideline things they advertised as being in-game at launch I lose more and more respect for the devs. Really wish they would be more up front about what's going on, instead it feels like they are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of fans who have been paying attention and instead just chasing the dlc/microtransaction money train.

SentryDown

Absolutely. Their low HP/insta-kill gambit is a big part of PD1's difficulty and arguably the most iconic enemy in the game (except for maybe bulldozers, the old glass shield mask design is so so good). Every time they release some new content that no one is asking for and continue to sideline things they advertised as being in-game at launch I lose more and more respect for the devs. Really wish they would be more up front about what's going on, instead it feels like they are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of fans who have been paying attention and instead just chasing the dlc/microtransaction money train.

If you want more info about what's coming, look at this : http://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/1rcbrj/transcript_of_te_qa_with_goldfarb/

(cloakers are coming in less than two monthes, alongside with the big tier 7 and Overkill 145 update)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is currently the build/level I'm at and... I'm not too sure if it's good.

I'm trying to be a "Jack of all trades"/master of none but being able to do what is required depending on the situation/heist. Is that worthwhile?

I've also seen someone in the Jewelry Store heist use an ECM Jammer to block phone calls, but I'm not sure how they did that. I just use mine to open ATM's since you can't open ATM's normally without it it seems. :/

if anyone has this on the ps3, and still plays, add me: ddealer

I'm downloading the update now, sounds like I'm going to like the new balances in the gameplay.

geetec

Neo Member
This is currently the build/level I'm at and... I'm not too sure if it's good.

I'm trying to be a "Jack of all trades"/master of none but being able to do what is required depending on the situation/heist. Is that worthwhile?

I've also seen someone in the Jewelry Store heist use an ECM Jammer to block phone calls, but I'm not sure how they did that. I just use mine to open ATM's since you can't open ATM's normally without it it seems. :/

Found some guys on the steam discussions page that were talking about it.

1 jammer jam the whole map, but if any civies run away from the map or if any cops or guards spot you, the ECM jammer won't work agains their alert. They don't work agains alert button either. (Bank heists)

Simply put, the ECM are used to:
- Stop Camera feed (Exception here. The camera who's "turn off" temporaly needs to be on the building with the jammer)
- Unlock magnetic doors (card requiring doors. You need to place the ECM above the lock where its symbol is shown. Nowhere else)
- Prevent civilian to activate an alert (theorically throught their cellphone, but they DON'T need to have it out to start the alert. It's a 3-8 seconds timers once they gets alerted with a "!"

If it didn't changed since Beta, the base duration of the jammer is 30 seconds.

I believe it is 15 seconds. You can also get 2 duration upgrades and get 2 jammers.

Jammers will:
Block civilian cell phone calls
Camera
Pagers from guards that are alive.

Jammers will not:
Block panic buttons
Block a dead guards pager that you MUST answer.

If you get a few ghost friends you can spam jammers and take out an entire map quickly, as long as you answer the pagers and destroy the cameras while the jammer is deployed.

Also I believe the base time is 20 seconds. Definitely map-wide range

TheSeks

Oh, so pointless then. I shouldn't get 2 then... :/

geetec

Neo Member
Oh neat I didn't know that got transcribed, thanks. I'd heard a rumor about Cloakers being wrapped into an Overkill+ difficulty before, glad they acknowledged their absence.

So I steped it up a notch and tried overkill for the first time today (on Bank Heist: Money) and to my surprise I got this.

Under "Tactical units" it says "spooks". Guessing Spooks = Cloakers now since they're the only unit that didn't show up during the heist. Soooo~ they're still being implemented. Just a matter of time now. (Thought Oreoleo would be interested.)

Just in case you were woundering, I lost. :<

Oreoleo

Under "Tactical units" it says "spooks". Guessing Spooks = Cloakers now since they're the only unit that didn't show up during the heist. Soooo~ they're still being implemented. Just a matter of time now. (Thought Oreoleo would be interested.)[/SPOILER]

Yeah that's the thing. They were in the beta before the game actually launched but they took them out about a week before release because of some glitch/crash they caused, to my knowledge. I was under the impression that they were ready to be implemented as soon as they figured out the bug. Now its 4 months later and I don't really know what to believe.

Omega

Banned
is it possible to get the presidential masks outside of Armored Transport maps?

DLC came out a month ago and I have yet to still get a mask. i barely play the DLC so i'm guessing maybe that's why, or maybe the RNG gods just hate me

TheSeks

What's the fastest way to level up? Doing Overkill Four Stores seems to not jump me up in levels despite being in +/- 20 levels range of the people that join me.

Oreoleo

is it possible to get the presidential masks outside of Armored Transport maps?
Yes.

What's the fastest way to level up? Doing Overkill Four Stores seems to not jump me up in levels despite being in +/- 20 levels range of the people that join me.

Doing Rats by blowing the lab on day 1 is by FAR the quickest easiest way to level up. Even on very hard you still get something like 80k XP just for the day rate on day 3. I read something like doing rats pro overkill at level 1 gives you enough XP to get to level 34 in one go. So silly.

TheSeks

I seriously doubt randoms will stick around if I blow the lab up. :/ People get pissy when the lab blows up because wires get crossed and someone does something they weren't supposed to.

Oreoleo

Double posting, deal with it :)

Preview for the Christmas heist is up:
http://overkillsoftware.com/charliesanta/

I hear it's a crossover with CS:GO and the map is de_bank? I don't play CS so idk anything about that. Probably will be for a limited time like the Halloween event, which I thought was a perfect distraction for a weekend.

Oreoleo

I seriously doubt randoms will stick around if I blow the lab up. :/ People get pissy when the lab blows up because wires get crossed and someone does something they weren't supposed to.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Especially in the higher levels you'll find plenty of people joining your lobby/game. Rats is about the only way to get from level 70-100 that doesn't require another 100 hours of play time to get there.

Especially if you are up front about it beforehand. People will know what's up if you say you want to blow the lab in the game lobby.

TheSeks

Well, the problem is I can't beat Overkill by myself. I can stay alive and have the heaviest armor on, but I can't simply escape by myself. So I need others to help but if people bail and no one joins... :/

I really wish there was an "Overdrill" like there is in PD1. The level grinding is just getting really bad.

Oreoleo

Well, the problem is I can't beat Overkill by myself. I can stay alive and have the heaviest armor on, but I can't simply escape by myself. So I need others to help but if people bail and no one joins... :/

I really wish there was an "Overdrill" like there is in PD1. The level grinding is just getting really bad.

Well, you don't HAVE to blow the lab on day 1 it's just more efficient that way. You can spend more time cooking meth than you will on the rest of the heist.

TheSeks

I seriously hope it isn't just for a weekend. :/ You can still get the Christmas achievement and stuff in Payday 1.

I wouldn't mind a cross-over with Counter-Strike, after the L4D cross-over in PD1. Double-so since Day Z-standalone is going to include the Payday guy's masks in-game.

More cross-overs isn't necessarily a bad thing for me.

Oreoleo

So after the holidays we'll be back to one bank? Boooo-urns.

I'm being a little presumptuous just based on how they handled Halloween. This heist does seem a fair bit more involved than the Halloween one (Defend the safehouse against waves of bulldozers while drilling the big vault and 'spooooky' effects are happening), so who knows. We'll probably find out tomorrow.

TheSeks

Well, beat Rats Overkill by myself thanks to the two AI picking me up. But ate 3mill in offshore credit for not too huge a money gain but a large EXP gain.

Thanks, online people, for not joining when I finished the meth by myself and completed the next four parts of the mission. :/

Top Bottom