• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

geetec

Neo Member
Well, the problem is I can't beat Overkill by myself. I can stay alive and have the heaviest armor on, but I can't simply escape by myself. So I need others to help but if people bail and no one joins... :/

I really wish there was an "Overdrill" like there is in PD1. The level grinding is just getting really bad.

You on steam? We've got a couple of friends that play quite often. You can tag along while they're also grinding for xp, plus you'll get a ton load of money.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, I'm nearly to 50. Which isn't bad for doing a few Overkills.

It's just annoying that contracts/making your own contracts is insanely overpriced for the payout you get for Overkill. :/ 3million to make 200,000 back. Overkill, WHY.jpg

Dunno how reputable this is but I guess a nice solo alternative if you have the DLC. I don't. So... Overkill Rats for me, I guess. :/

TheSeks

Is it just me, or is lockpicking... uh... pointless? It's wayyyy too slow for safe deposit boxes to where a sawblade-refilled with ammo (by like 2-3 ammo drops?) can quickly clear the safe deposit boxes in the bank heists in seconds. The saw can blow open doors and the grates that fall in Framing Frame.

The silent drill can work in total stealth and doesn't require anything but keeping civilians down/staying in stealth and even if it doesn't you have a silently quicker drill than the default. So that makes lockpicking redundant.

And then if you invest points into shape-charges from trip-mines (which you really should) you have 6 trip-mine/C4 at your disposal to blow open doors (so making lock-picking redundant) if you don't have a saw-blade AND can blow open most safes. The only exception being more than C4 you have (so you should save them for the bigger safes if you're going for speed) to where you have to set a drill, AND they explode the safe doors faster than lockpicking.

What is the point in picking lockpicking, then? Makes no damn sense for it to be so high in a "stealth" tree and not like... make clearing the safe deposit boxes or anything near instant. :/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The silent drill can work in total stealth and doesn't require anything but keeping civilians down/staying in stealth and even if it doesn't you have a silently quicker drill than the default. So that makes lockpicking redundant.

It's still much faster than a drill, which is its only edge.

In general I do agree that the points are better spent elsewhere.

TheSeks

It's still much faster than a drill, which is its only edge

Except if you're doing it complete stealth it doesn't really matter. And if you go loud, it's kinda pointless if you have "loud" (C4, Saw) options that do that job faster than it. And if not, made entirely redundant by you possibly already having a drill there.

I know they're supposedly "looking into the Ghost Tree to make it more useful/worth investing in" but after getting to Tier 6 in it and Tech? I think I should just refund the specced points outside of endurance/sprint regen for heavy armor in the Ghost tree and slot those into Mastermind for shout bonuses or going for the saw so I have a Saw/C4 combo going.

TheSeks

I have no friends.

Will I like this game if I just play it solo, with AI partners?

Play it with randoms. AI can be hit or miss but it's better than Payday 1 in that they'll revive you. But they still won't carry the cash like real players would.

TheSeks

So, how do you bypass the cameras? I can go around the back of the Global Offensive bank, start the heist and get people down but the camera then sees me.

geetec

Neo Member
I have no friends.

Will I like this game if I just play it solo, with AI partners?

To be honest it's so much better when you're playing with friends and communicating though voice chat. I can't emphasis this enough. Don't mean to put you off by any means but I feel like without friends, for me anyway, I'd quite quickly get bored of the repetitiveness of the game. For me, playing with "friends" adds something this game that makes it just that much better.

We've usually got a 2-3 man stack going so it'd be good if we had another. Add me if you like.

So, how do you bypass the cameras? I can go around the back of the Global Offensive bank, start the heist and get people down but the camera then sees me.

Just get someone ECM jam and then shoot them out while they're jammed.

There's another way that I think that might work. Sneak it to the security room, take the guy out, and maybe just maybe the cameras will be deactivated. This enables you to roam freely. BUT don't take my word on it, because I'm yet to try this one myself. Anyone else here tried this yet, if so, does it work?

TheSeks

Well, I can say I hope Overkill/Valve allow this to run even without the Christmas decorations for longer than the Christmas period. It's a nice change of pace from the other maps/variables in the maps.

SentryDown

The new map isn't bad but still the exact same thing. I miss the diversity of Payday The Heist. Also I'm currently working on trying to create mods and new maps, if Overkill could help it would be a lot easier

damn, the diamond store escape is bugged! everytime I play this level, I can't get the escape icon to show up until I set off an alarm. I'm on ps3 btw.

to clarify, I have the alarms shut down and I'm carrying a loot bag.

So PaydayGAF is invited to a Christmas event. Tis the season to heist stores.

If you're apart of the GAF Payday 2 group then you should play late on Christmas at night to heist with us. Going to be fun and chaotic but GAFers make great heisters.

If you're not part of the group then add someone in the group and ask for an invite:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogafpayday2#

See you soon, GAF.

TheSeks

So, Overkill added a Prestige System.

But I'm not seeing any talk about making the grind to 100 any less annoying.

#icant I just... why would anyone do that?

You lose your level 100, your skill points, and $200,000,000 in cash.

You keep your guns, your masks, and your mods that you've bought but you have to rank up again to get them.

And you get a Prestige point up to 13 times for the Prestige tree.

...But again, what's the point when getting to level 100 is a chore and a bore since they don't balance the EXP/money gains between the heists. Oh boy, more PrOverkill Rats runs! *snore*

zkylon

zkylewd
So, Overkill added a Prestige System.

But I'm not seeing any talk about making the grind to 100 any less annoying.

#icant I just... why would anyone do that?

You lose your level 100, your skill points, and $200,000,000 in cash.

You keep your guns, your masks, and your mods that you've bought but you have to rank up again to get them.

And you get a Prestige point up to 13 times for the Prestige tree.

...But again, what's the point when getting to level 100 is a chore and a bore since they don't balance the EXP/money gains between the heists. Oh boy, more PrOverkill Rats runs! *snore*

yeah by now I really think overkill is just very misguided in how they think of their own game

did they ever add the ninja cop?

TheSeks

This is insane. What percentage of the community is insane enough to want to do this?

There's people in the Steam community going "well, don't do Proverkill Rats then! You can get to 100 just fine with the other heists!"

Yesssss, but the EXP/Money curve is lopsided to that heist (and Framing Frame stealth for Money) for the best EXP gain.

Overkill should make it like a JRPG/WRPG progression system. Normal heists in any heist can get you to level 1-30 with 2-10 hiests. Hard 30-45 Very Hard 45-75. Overkill 75-100. But they don't. And the heist payouts give you jack in anything other than two heists to where it's pointless to do the others but those two for the sake of EXP/Money.

Adding a Prestige system doesn't solve that. It just makes people want to use LUA scripts on their modded console/PC version to hit those requirements in prestiging faster than doing the grind again.

I really enjoy doing PrOverkill Framing Frame runs, since it takes some time to pull it perfectly, more so when you have a team with you, because everyone has to be very familiar with the game to do so. Even then someone happens to trigger the alarm eventually.

On the other hand, Rats has a very unbalanced payout since its easy to farm. My complaint is that the other more difficult heists (Big Oil for example) don't give good payouts in cash and XP as they should.

SentryDown

I don't care about this update, I'm about to be level 100 after 150 hours on the game and I'm not going to reset it because these sunglasses are not cool enough to worth 150 hours of my precious time.

The problem I have with this update is that it confirms my opinion about Overkill constantly updating the game for that very very small hardcore fanbase. I mean, how many players would want to spend 14x70 hours (rough estimation, it's probably way more with the money needed) to get cosmetic upgrades ? The level 100 was hard to reach on day one but now with the increased difficulty and the lowered rewards, it seems that they lose many time and energy to satisfy a crazy low amount of players. Unlike most people, I'm not saying every update should have a new heist but there are certainly tons of useful things to do for programmers and graphical artists while level designers are working on new DLC.

TheSeks

My complaint is that the other more difficult heists (Big Oil for example) don't give good payouts in cash and XP as they should.

That's half of what I'm saying. The other heists don't really pay enough to make it worth doing them, and so "fun" gets thrown out when you're in the business of leveling or making money. The only time you want to do a different heist/run is to for like masks or drops and then it's like Diamond Store Normal or Overkill and that's about it. The other ones don't get played in the context of "oh we should do this because it's hard and the reward is worth it." They're "oh, we should do this after we reach max rank and can put points into the set-up for each of the heists int he lobby menu."

Cloakers/sam fisher was just added 2 days ago and I'm really digging them. Their tactics are more advanced than PD 1 since they actively hide and ambush you and then there's the creepy radio static when they're around.

oh and LMGs are cool but im probably buying them in a sale since they're not worth $5 for 3 weapons.

BBboy20

Does anybody know why you sometimes pop-out of the game (not crashing or even exiting) and back to your desktop screen (this has been going on since launch)? Google doesn't help, Steam doesn't help. I don't know where to ask.

Looks like they're teasing another update :
http://www.overkillsoftware.com/deathwish/

Thugs, heisters and career criminals, unite!

Bain needs you in the planning room right away. GET IN THERE!

Click HERE to get to the Death Wish update website!

It's tough times ahead everyone, the empire is striking back. We need to stick together if we're going to be able to deal with this one if we want to cash in before we cash out.

For any questions you might have, I've taken the liberty of providing a small FAQ seen below.

Q: Is this free content or paid?
A: ;)

Q: When is this update released?

Q: How much will it cost?

In other news, it looks like Bain has set up a TV for us for day 2...

Almir
OVERKILL - a Starbreeze Studio.

TheSeks

Probably a new heist, but what it be underwhelming like that Prestige mode.

TheSeks

Hmm... so no new heist. Just a new enemy type? Kinda disappointing.

Apparently the game has nosedived from 10K players to like less than 5K in recent months. I don't see this harder enemy type fixing that.

Hmm... so no new heist. Just a new enemy type? Kinda disappointing.

Apparently the game has nosedived from 10K players to like less than 5K in recent months. I don't see this harder enemy type fixing that.

There's one day left so maybe they'll show a new map there. I think some people spotted files or something that hinted at a prison map where the goal was to rescue old Hoxton but I may be remembering wrong, take this with a pinch of salt.

Also, I'm gonna need dat track name in that trailer, I don't think it's been used in any map yet.

There's one day left so maybe they'll show a new map there. I think some people spotted files or something that hinted at a prison map where the goal was to rescue old Hoxton but I may be remembering wrong, take this with a pinch of salt.

Also, I'm gonna need dat track name in that trailer, I don't think it's been used in any map yet.

It was the Payday 2 Christmas soundtrack DLC where the lyrics hint at the team possibly trying to break him out. I don't remember what song it was from since I haven't listened to the album since around Christmas but it's there.

KarmaCow

Framing Frame stealth is actually kinda interesting now on Death Wish since there are 8 guards and titan cams. It actually involves sneaking around instead of ecm rushing the 5 guards. It would be better if guards didn't randomly see through walls though.

Oh, wow, that's quite the surprise. A totally free update not made alongside just DLC. This should really spice up the game.

Guess i'll have something fun to do during spring break.

Started playing it because of Plus and it's a pretty damn fun game. My issue is the same with most co-op games and that's the other players. Too many things in this game rely on your teammates to follow through and it has outright ruined too many plays. Just now we were on Day 2 of a mission and couldn't finish it because one player decided to hide in the corner and we couldn't escape. Guess you do need all the other players in the escape zone in case someone else is still moving bags, but I've already had a couple people intentionally ruin the match. Really kills my buzz on the game.

TheSeks

No you don't. Just have the escape timer run out after 5 mins. If they aren't in the zone and still alive, they don't finish the heist. Or if they're downed/dead they don't count and you can still leave with three players.

The game shouldn't stop you from escaping with someone not in the zone otherwise if the time limit is met.

No you don't. Just have the escape timer run out after 5 mins. If they aren't in the zone and still alive, they don't finish the heist. Or if they're downed/dead they don't count and you can still leave with three players.

The game shouldn't stop you from escaping with someone not in the zone otherwise if the time limit is met.

We weren't surviving five minutes of waves at the escape point. :(

Guy just chilled in the server room at the FBI level and all the enemies were focusing on us. Really annoying.

Omega

Banned
This is why you host every game yourself.

I learned this the hard way on PC. From not being able to boot idiots myself, and from assholes booting me for no reason.

Another mission on Day three, only this time it froze on me. I like the idea of segmented heists but give me some damn rewards between days. At least then I'm not wasting my time when crap like this happens.

Does this game look significantly better on PC or something?
Tried this out today thanks to the magical PS+ and was sorely disappointed. This may be the first time I've ever stopped playing a game because of graphics. (ok there were a couple other faults too but none as glaring)
Was it possibly just a bad download or does this game really look that unoptimized on PS3?

NastyBook

Another mission on Day three, only this time it froze on me. I like the idea of segmented heists but give me some damn rewards between days. At least then I'm not wasting my time when crap like this happens.
I've had a few freezes on PS3 that luckily came way before I got anywhere near a Payday, otherwise I'd been seriously pissed off with them too. And I've probably only dealt with a few knuckleheads that'll run all the way to the escape point, then stop and turn around and go dick around before we all end up dead or leave. I think the worst problem I've had are lobby idlers. Assholes that get good jobs and then sit there without starting the damn the thing. Or we actually do start, then he idles between days, never readying up.

Really just got tired of getting shot at to earn meager amounts of money, so I switched up to a lvl 55+ Ghost/Mastermind build and started card farming Jewelry Store and solo stealthing Framing Frame. Would like to get Big Oil, but it shows up so rarely on Crimenet, and I'm not in the mood to drop 8 million on it, only to run into the map layout with the damn drug dealers in it.

I've had a few freezes on PS3 that luckily came way before I got anywhere near a Payday, otherwise I'd been seriously pissed off with them too.

No joke, just did a bank heist that went great but took almost 17 minutes because of all the lock boxes. We got shafted with a random escape level though but managed to get all the bags into the chopper. We still lost because one player wasn't in the square when the buzzer went off. The rest of us were. So no money, ~25 minutes down the drain.

I love the idea of this game. The levels are very fun and the way you can spec out your characters for various roles is great. But the obscene amount of money it takes for very little gain and having long heists amount to nothing because of technical issues or other players? No thanks. Game deleted.

Top Bottom