• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

There's some speculation that there might be more secrets in the Diamond heist. Like maybe the diamond itself is a fake and the real one is hidden in some secret area of the museum. Might explain why this hyped up diamond is only worth 150k. Also some speculation about the statues in the actual vault room itself. I have heard people say that the diamond price is bugged and not scaling properly and the vault room itself is bugged, so maybe there is no secret. Was kinda hoping for some secret like in Undercover in Payday 1. Seven bucks is pretty steep for a one day heist with no new weapons. So I'm hoping there is some kind of secret day 2 like the train heist.

Spent about 3 hours trying to stealth it on Death Wish. We managed to get the diamond quietly, but the alarm goes off no matter what when the timer finishes. So we ran in a circle around the museum until we could escape.

Talents

Banned
So I haven't played this for a while and me and a few friends want to play it again. However they've reset all my points because of the new skill tree. I played a technician before and want to play it again, does anyone have a link to a good technician build?

Thanks.

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mGBDa:eDa:tQsOPKLHiJFGbCda:gHECda:pR8h0o0::

This is a build I played with for a bit which was pretty fun.

I like going for turrets and C4. Since they let you carry both now, you no longer have to feel useless until the escape. They let you reload your turrets with your own ammo, but I don't invest in that because I'd much rather shoot dudes myself. Turrets are still an emergency item for me that I use for escapes or for when everyone is down. I never rely on them for holding down a room, so reloading them is useless and a waste of 4 points imo.

I like grabbing the drill skills except for silent drill. A loud drill can be useful on day 3 of firestarter to lure a guard upstairs. And in heists like Election Day and Shadow Raid, I prefer to find keycards to open those doors. Silent drill is useless on loud heists too, so again, it's a waste of 12 points.

Shockproof is a fun skill to ace to counter those pesky tasers, but not terribly necessary. Although there have been many moments where I get tased from too far to be able to land a lucky hit on him. You can probably pour those 12 points into something else, but I like being able to shock back a taser and escape immediately.

I also grab as many movement skills I can so I'm not slow. I also go for Rogue perk deck for pretty much every build.

O.DOGG

So we got us a new update with a new mask, new melee weapon, and a new achievement. Plus the following:

This Is the Year of Heists
Heisters, this is the year when heist contenders from around the world will come and challenge us for our heavyweight championship belt in heisting. We won’t go down that easy though. We’ve got the experience and know-how. We might be older, but that just means we have to fight smarter. With your support, there’s no knowing how far we can reach.

We welcome the competition. There’s nothing that keeps a champ in as good form as fighting against strong opponents.

As we previously announced, we will continue working on PAYDAY 2 well into 2016. As long as you guys want to heist, we aim to deliver the best heisting experience available.

And to anyone who wants to challenge us for the belt, we say:
Let's get in the ring, MOTHERF ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥S!

I wonder if they're referring to the impending GTA5 PC release... Any other heist games coming out this year?

Apparently they are releasing a heavy weapon pack. Trailer.
That description :D
They're releasing a lot more than that. They announced another event like Crimefest but less functional cause it's tied to DLC sales and seems to be poorly thought out numbers wise. Still, here's a roadmap of future stuff.
hajp_map_noburn_v4.png
I assume the heister named Bonnie will be the original female heister voice from the teaser before they changed her to Irish.

I like how they used the music from the hype train youtube video.

O.DOGG

I'm not sure I like where the game is headed. I was going to buy that $20 pack but I noticed that it does not include the features of the other pack... that amounts to $25 for very little content. I understand that future development doesn't fund itself but considering that the game costs less than that during sales, it's just crazy.

Also the updates on the road map don't sound all that appealing. I can't believe they made the Hoxton Revenge one of the final goals. And what's with the character packs anyway? From what I can read on various forums, nobody really wants these. Ah well. I'll wait and see how it all plays out before I decide to participate again.

I thought they'd be done with DLC once they released the GOTY versions.
Those stretch goals seem very uninteresting, other than the heists that is. Fly 10 people to LA? Paydaycon? I enjoy Payday 2, I have 300+ hours on it, but I can't see it being good enough to warrant a convention around it. And yeah, calling something the "Completely" pack and not having all the stuff from the 5 dollar pack is kinda shady naming. And do we really need more characters?

Whatever, I don't have to buy it and I go through the game well enough with the content there is. But it still kinda rubs me the wrong way. Wish they would just move on to Payday 3 because it's obvious that no matter what cool heist settings they have, their core game mechanics still won't support proper heist gameplay.

BBboy20

If this was a highly polished game, maybe.

But I do seem notice the weapons aren't part of the $20 pack so yeah, pretty iffy there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They're releasing a lot more than that. They announced another event like Crimefest but less functional cause it's tied to DLC sales and seems to be poorly thought out numbers wise. Still, here's a roadmap of future stuff.
I assume the heister named Bonnie will be the original female heister voice from the teaser before they changed her to Irish.

I like how they used the music from the hype train youtube video.

hahahaha. Trying to get people to not use the DLC unlocker. Good luck with changing the community around, Overkill?

Still waiting for the sale on Clover and Diamond Heist so I have all of them before they release EVEN MORE.

TheSeks

Are you aware that there has already been another Character DLC and Heist DLC since then? You might be even more behind than you think.

It seems like they're releasing faster than I keep up. Generally it was one pack per "Steam sale" now it seems with the characters included it's going to be like 5 per pack. And charging $5.99-7.99 per pack is too rich for my blood. I wish they'd just come out with a "season pass" or something and bundle all DLC in that, but it won't rake in money for them. :/

They made an event focused entirely around holding content ransom behind DLC sales, and the community is lapping it up.

Unbelievable. If Ubisoft pulled this shit, people would be freaking the fuck out.

They made an event focused entirely around holding content ransom behind DLC sales, and the community is lapping it up.

Unbelievable. If Ubisoft pulled this shit, people would be freaking the fuck out.

I think cause most people know it's all going to unlock no matter how many they sell. They already promised a new enemy type back during the Hoxton Breakout event. And Hoxton Breakout pretty much said we're getting a mission based on whoever ratted him out, so to tease that and not deliver is not something they would get away with.

Either way, I know now that whatever heists they add, it will always boil down to a horde mode or a really tedious stealth one. The core mechanics are just too shallow to support complicated heist set ups.

Either way, I know now that whatever heists they add, it will always boil down to a horde mode or a really tedious stealth one. The core mechanics are just too shallow to support complicated heist set ups.

You're also correct about that, and for a while Payday 2 was actually decent because it completely abandoned any trappings of being a genuine heist game with maps like Hotline Miami and Hoxton Breakout. But their DLC practices have always been gross, and it's bemusing that they've descended into being full-on disgusting.

TheSeks

They could probably do Heat Street again but a little less insane on the damage. The problem is, the Payday 2 engine isn't really built for those expansive levels IIRC. Which is why we get "box"-sized "heists" than complicated showpieces most of the time.

Hoxton Breakout day 1 is basically Heat Street part two.

I also don't know if it's a problem of Payday 2's engine (isn't it just a modified version of the first?) so much as originally designing the game for last-gen consoles.

TheSeks

Kinda... sorta... but not really.

And yeah, last-gen targeting really hindered the engine. My major problem with heists with the wonky stealth/concealment system more than the boxes. If they want to make "box" heists, fine. But if I'm carrying an AK and pistol in my suit, it shouldn't alert EVERYONE in the goddamn area when I'm walking around in the suit before putting the mask on. Or at least make it have sense. Same with stealth. If I shoot someone in the head silently, and answer the pagers 4 times. Why wouldn't someone come to check? Shooting civilians seems to be the easiest way to "stealth" things most of the time.

And that's not to mention there's heists on "roads" that you can go down but hit an invisible wall eventually. Like Hoxton's Breakout you can start to go down the street from where you exit but you hit police barricades/invisible wall and can't go past them despite a gap. Makes no sense that you can't tell the truck to "move" down that road or use it as a speed route or something due to the way they want you to sit there and SLOWLY defend a SLOW vehicle in an escape sequence. :/

BBboy20

I don't care what improvements a third game might do, if they keep the same artificial unlocking and inventory management, I'm done with the series.

I also don't know if it's a problem of Payday 2's engine (isn't it just a modified version of the first?) so much as originally designing the game for last-gen consoles.

I'd say Hoxton Breakout Day 1 is worse because of the lack of any reliable cover and the near constant enemy spawns from every angle with zero breaks in cop waves until you reach the garage. Heat Street had parking lots with cars, alleys, low walls, and even a reliable interior area. HB day 1 is just too flat with some cars and pillars.

Hoxton Breakout day 2 is great though. Definitely the best loud heist in the game. Not only does it have a great payout, but it's fun to do. The keycard doors are a simple, but great use of the game's already established mechanics. Deciding whether to open the armory or med bay, close a door, open the third floor, or save them for the objective. Plus you can use C4 to destroy bridges. The Diamond Heist was disappointingly simple coming off the Hoxton Breakout and did not feel worth the money. If they can't do complex heists, then at least add those little twists to the missions that makes the horde nature of it less tedious and boring. Give players more control and interaction with their environment other than flimsy wooden boards that hold off cops for a minute before they break. How about an ability to close and lock doors? Cops can pick them open again, but it would at least slow them down. Or give the technician the ability to reinforce boarded up windows or weld doors shut with a welder that can run out of fuel. We need abilities that allow us greater control an area that's more than just "you can shoot dudes better."

so going by the comments on the steam community, the payday 2 community is 50% people going "this dlc is awful" and the other 50% is people going "don't buy it you fucking idiots"

is this accurate

Oreoleo

I'm kinda really annoyed that they are locking content away behind the purchase of the SPECIAL EDITION of a completely different game. Get fucked Overkill.

colt92

Neo Member
okay so I guess it is

Not exactly. There are just a lot of haters because they are releasing a lot of paid DLC or aren't happy with the game. That doesn't mean that it's shitty. Plus, Overkill has also released a lot of free content. Hoxton Breakout is one of the best heists they made, and guess what: It's free. And what did they ask for it? Freaking group members. People didn't have to pay a single dime for that.
They are making a lot of "shitty mod and weapon DLC" (as some say) because it's the least intrusive they can be. They give you some simple stuff, the opportunity to contribute to the further development of the game. You like the game and the free stuff? You can pay for some DLC. Or not. They aren't forcing you. If you don't pay for DLC, what do you lose? Some mods, guns, a couple characters and masks. So what? If you want to play a DLC heist, join a game. You can play it without owning it. You just can't host them.
And everyone will get the Hype Train rewards, regardless of having payed for anything or not.

Oreoleo

That's not true.
Excuse me? How am I wrong? There is an exclusive perk deck tied to the special edition of Hotline Miami 2. You have to buy the special edition of that game to get game-changing content for Payday2. Not masks, not a melee weapon reskin. New, unique content. That's crossing a line.

Do you like hurting other people? Upon buying Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Digital Special Edition on Steam, you get the following:
– Adds the Sociopath perk deck in PAYDAY 2
That isn't exactly ambiguous language, nor does it say anything about the hype train.

Excuse me? How am I wrong? There is an exclusive perk deck tied to the special edition of Hotline Miami 2. You have to buy the special edition of that game to get game-changing content for Payday2. Not masks, not a melee weapon reskin. New, unique content. That's crossing a line.
It's a character pack that's free if you buy Hotline Miami 2's Collector's Edition. There's nothing that says it's exclusive.

The Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Digital Special Edition also includes free access to the Payday 2 "Jacket Character Pack" that includes the character items and weapons below.
PD2JacketBanner.png

The mask pack IS listed as exclusive, but the character isn't.

And the Hype Train stuff is on the Hype Train website.

Valkrai

It's a character pack that's free if you buy Hotline Miami 2's Collector's Edition. There's nothing that says it's exclusive.

PD2JacketBanner.png

The mask pack IS listed as exclusive, but the character isn't.

And the Hype Train stuff is on the Hype Train website.

Not true, the Jacket pack is exclusive to the Special Edition to Hotline Miami 2.

Taken directly from the pinned forum post:

Are these rewards preorder only? Can I get Jacket for free if I purchase the Special Edition later on after the game is released? What about the masks?

There is no need to preorder to obtain the Jacket Character Pack free of charge.
All Special Edition content will be included, wether you purchase it now or in a few months' time.
The Regular Edition masks will be given to you similarly as well once you purchase the game.

What if I don't want to buy the game?

We won't judge you for that, but the Jacket Character Pack will NOT be available seperately for purchase unfortunately.
The Mask Pack also will NOT be available for purchase and, much like the original Hotline Miami DLC release, only available for owning HM2.
So basically if you don't buy either, you won't get anything. Sorry.

TheSeks

Wait, I'm still confused. Jacket isn't included (okay) but the mask and guns are also not included? Only the skilldeck (which most people care about and rightly so) are going to be available after HM2 launches and if you own HM2 you get the guns?

Wait, I'm still confused. Jacket isn't included (okay) but the mask and guns are also not included? Only the skilldeck (which most people care about and rightly so) are going to be available after HM2 launches and if you own HM2 you get the guns?
All versions of HM2 get the masks. HM2 Special Edition also gets the Jacket character pack which includes the Hammer, the gun, and the perk deck. None of it is preorder exclusive but it is all HM2 exclusive.

Oreoleo

uh, does the physical special edition count?

I'd imagine as long as you have a key tied to your Steam account the bonus content will be available in Payday2. It won't matter where the key came from.

Ah I see where the confusion is coming from. You guys thought the character pack would be available for purchase as separate DLC? It should be, honestly.

Valkrai

I'd imagine as long as you have a key tied to your Steam account the bonus content will be available in Payday2. It won't matter where the key came from.

Ah I see where the confusion is coming from. You guys thought the character pack would be available for purchase as separate DLC? It should be, honestly.

I thought it was before by the way it was phrased. They said it was free if you get the special edition, so I thought it meant it as a free bonus but wouldn't be if you didn't get Hotline Miami 2.

O.DOGG

I can definitely see where the required purchase of HM2 to unlock any of the new content might piss people off. It doesn't bother me, because I was planning on getting HM2 anyway but I think they should release the perk deck to the community at the very least, as that may be valuable outside of the whole HM2 theme. Still, making the whole pack purchasable as DLC is probably the best way to go about this to placate the already on edge (because of the whole Hype train thing) community.

Oreoleo

Um, i'm getting this:
2764434-4764190298-HLM2_.jpg

Because if this doesn't qualify to getting the Jacket pack....

Could go either way. Depends if the soundtrack key is DLC or if they give you the Special Edition straight up.

Honestly though, Overkill is basically giving this HM2 stuff away for free to everyone in Australia, so if for some reason that sexy fucking vinyl set (you bastard, I want that so bad) doesn't give a Special Edition Steam key, you could PROBABLY email Overkill with a proof of purchase and they would hook you up.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620#announcements/detail/213131485507117230

Thanks to all who understood its purpose and who supported us thus far! Lots of noise from people standing by the side of the rails - but for you 20 000 heisters that put your money where your mouth is WE SALUTE YOU.

Yeah do a blog post that openly insults anyone criticizing your $20 pack of nothing, that'll certainly do you favors.

I swear if I wasn't a Junior, I'd be posting a thread about this. This is the most ridiculous I've ever seen a game get with DLC.

Anyone wants to get a 4-pack of the Completely Overkill Pack going? Shoot me a PM.

I'm in the EU and it costs 54,99€, so it would be ~13,75€ for everyone involved.

TheSeks

Top Bottom