• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

NZNova

Probably for public games. But it seems limited. If I equip it, I lose my medic/ammo bags or my sentries/C4. Seems kinda redundant.

Agreed. I'd prefer it if they implemented something along the lines of, you can run back to the van to change your loadout, or something. I guess that's probably not balanced, though.

NZNova

Also - I know money isn't really an issue when you get to higher levels - but it's kinda weird that they've completely obliterated the asset cost reduction skill and tier bonus.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wasn't there supposed to be a "John Walker" set of sunglasses exclusive to him?

Valkrai

Today we got the other two scary clown masks and another John Wick trailer with Chains.

To be honest, the most interesting thing I saw in today's Crimefest update was the PD2 and TF2 masks heading to CS: GO for Halloween. Has Overkill and Valve said yet how to unlock them in game?

TheSeks

They aren't gonna be unlocks because the CS:GO community would backlash harder than the Payday community did over John Wick.

Plus they ruin the "competitive nature" of the game by Valves own admission. The only reason they're in right now is because of Halloween and Valve being cheeky for a week.

colt92

Neo Member
Sooooo... summary of the past three days, now that we are but a few hours away from Hoxton Breakout:

24th
- Art Gallery Heist w/ preplanning+DW achievement
- Watchdogs Day 1 and 2 and Big Oil Day 1 can be randomly played in day/night.
- Better support for mods that overwrite files. Now override the original files. In-game menu to check for conflicting mods.

25th
-Overkill has hired a small studio (LionGameLion) to do PAYDAY2 DLC heists in order to help them grow.

26th
- SPAS-12 shotgun (primary slot) w/ 4 mods (3 stocks+extended mag and long barrel combo)
- Lion mask due to the LionGameLion partnership.

realzzz

Neo Member
I bought the game on steam the other day and I tried playing a few sessions and I didn't understand any of the mechanics is there any good tutorial in game or on the internet ?

colt92

Neo Member

colt92

Neo Member
Hoxton Breakout is live, gentlemen. Behold the glorious 1.5GB update.

EDIT: Oh god. In overkill, the base exp is 1.1M (with the perk upgrade) and the base payout is 12.5M

TheSeks

Hoxton Breakout is live, gentlemen. Behold the glorious 1.5GB update.

EDIT: Oh god. In overkill, the base exp is 1.1M (with the perk upgrade) and the base payout is 12.5M

Hello new Rats, Hotline Miami.

colt92

Neo Member
Hello new Rats, Hotline Miami.

Better yet, with Infamy bonuses I got 1.32M exp.

You have to play the heist. It's awesome. Plus Overkill made me hate and love them a little more in Day 1.
Dat fucking SkullDozer in ovk in the garage control room.

Didn't know if we had Payday 2 OT here on GAF, but good thing I checked!

Been running Hoxton Breakout and Hotline Miami almost exclusively just to get myself to my first Infamy tier and have a nice cash flow in. I run mostly with randoms though, so it would be good to get a solid group going. I had one for a day, but then everyone dissapated quickly.

Are the Halloween masks coming on the 30th? The site was a little confusing. I figured last years masks would be available on Tuesday since that was the day listed, but there aren't there yet.

Nander

Are the Halloween masks coming on the 30th? The site was a little confusing. I figured last years masks would be available on Tuesday since that was the day listed, but there aren't there yet.

They always hype for three days, and then release everything on the third day. So, yeah, they should be released on the 30th.

Now we know that the female heister is called Clover, I kinda like it. Also, headless, invincible (?) Titandozers!

Das-J

Law of the West
Went to see John Wick (Go see this f*%king movie!!!) and got a free Steam code for the game.

Up for grabs: 5D6W9-DFZH9-K6T2Z

They always hype for three days, and then release everything on the third day. So, yeah, they should be released on the 30th.

Now we know that the female heister is called Clover, I kinda like it. Also, headless, invincible (?) Titandozers!

Sounds good. I missed those masks as I got into Payday after the Halloween event last year, so I'm eager to grab them this year. Bought mask slots and everything to have the space.

The Hoxton breakout is pretty good. I enjoy the mandatory loud heists more than the stealth ones because, when playing with randoms all the time, no one gets upset during a loud heist.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the Hotline Miami one yet. The final part of the Day 2 is great hectic fun, but the part in Day 1 where you're feeding the barcodes to the machine... eeehhhhhh.

but the part in Day 1 where you're feeding the barcodes to the machine... eeehhhhhh.
Unless you're paying zero attention to Bain you only have to feed it one bar code. Doesn't really take that long compared to other hold out areas in the game, unless you can't find the crowbars.

Unless you're paying zero attention to Bain you only have to feed it one bar code. Doesn't really take that long compared to other hold out areas in the game, unless you can't find the crowbars.

Randoms, man, randoms. Once someone fires up that bar codereader with the wrong shipping label, it gets ugly.

However, I came across a bunch of 'cooks' last night who made it a very lucrative mission in the end.

I was reminded of the downside of playing with randoms earlier today.

Hoxton Breakout, Overkill, almost finished Day 2. No issues at all.

Then the host quits.

colt92

Neo Member
New weapon DLC: Gage Historical Pack for 4.99$.

Includes 4 weapons: MG42 LMG, Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle, Sten SMG and Mauser pistol with 20 mods total.
Both weapon inventories have now 72 slots.
4 new masks wtih patterns and materials. Plus, 4 achievements to unlock one of each and an achievement for doing some (unknown) heist while each player wears one.
5 new melee weapons: a german 'nade, a trench knife, a stick, a flagpole with a US flag, and a bayonet for the Mosin-Nagant.

Not too interesting, imo. Maybe one or two of the weapons will be used for a while. Inventory expansion wasn't really necessary, I think. And there are a crapload of melee weapons already. I don't think we'll be seeing many more weapon DLCs. Unless they go very crazy or creative.

Definitely a wait for the steam sale DLC. But my crew will absolutely go to town on some thugs with the flags at some point. I do like that it's a variety of weapon categories this time instead of all one type.

O.DOGG

So, fellow heisters, I've decided to come back to this after a little more than a year hiatus. I got all the DLC at the latest sale and I'm ready!. What can I look forward to? I saw a message notifying me of changes they made to the skill tree. Anything worth noting?

colt92

Neo Member
So, fellow heisters, I've decided to come back to this after a little more than a year hiatus. I got all the DLC at the latest sale and I'm ready!. What can I look forward to? I saw a message notifying me of changes they made to the skill tree. Anything worth noting?

A few things. There's a new skill tree, Fugitive, inspired by Old Hoxton (now just Hoxton, as New Hoxton is now Houston).
The tier bonuses have been scrapped in favour of Perk trees.
A lot of abilities have been changed, replaced, or repositioned.
There is now a Death Wish difficulty level with tougher and better cops, plus super-tough Bulldozers. And of course, some heists are extremely hard.
Cloakers are back.
LMGs, sniper rifles and melee weapons were added to the game. Plus a crapload of extra weapons, mods, and inventory spaces.
You can choose which songs play in-game (both menus and heists).
Rats is now non-rushable.
Stealth is much harder.
There are xp bonuses and reductions for each heist, depending on how much you have played it.
The Infamy system (still in construction), that allows you to reset your character to gain advantages.
A lot more heists, both loud and stealthy.

And I think this is the most important stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, new Xmas update, "The White Xmas Heist": http://overkillsoftware.com/whitechristmas/

A free (and hilarious) Christmas carol Payday style, and a new free heist with its masks and achievements. We'll have to rescue Vlad's Bosnian Norwegian brother-in-law pilot, plus his huge shipment of pure Colombian coke, of course.

O.DOGG

A few things. There's a new skill tree, Fugitive, inspired by Old Hoxton (now just Hoxton, as New Hoxton is now Houston).
The tier bonuses have been scrapped in favour of Perk trees.
A lot of abilities have been changed, replaced, or repositioned.
There is now a Death Wish difficulty level with tougher and better cops, plus super-tough Bulldozers. And of course, some heists are extremely hard.
Cloakers are back.
LMGs, sniper rifles and melee weapons were added to the game. Plus a crapload of extra weapons, mods, and inventory spaces.
You can choose which songs play in-game (both menus and heists).
Rats is now non-rushable.
Stealth is much harder.
There are xp bonuses and reductions for each heist, depending on how much you have played it.
The Infamy system (still in construction), that allows you to reset your character to gain advantages.
A lot more heists, both loud and stealthy.

And I think this is the most important stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, new Xmas update, "The White Xmas Heist": http://overkillsoftware.com/whitechristmas/

A free (and hilarious) Christmas carol Payday style, and a new free heist with its masks and achievements. We'll have to rescue Vlad's Bosnian Norwegian brother-in-law pilot, plus his huge shipment of pure Colombian coke, of course.

Thanks for the details. Sounds like I'll be learning the game all over again. The good news is that I had quite a bit of cash at the time of my retirement so I won't be starting from scratch completely.

And that Christmas carrol is hilarious :D

O.DOGG

So.. I don't really get it. What's the point of being infamous? I don't see any real benefits, only drawbacks - losing all cash and skills being the most obvious ones.

Oreoleo

So.. I don't really get it. What's the point of being infamous? I don't see any real benefits, only drawbacks - losing all cash and skills being the most obvious ones.

Increased chance of Infamous quality items at the end of a heist.
And Infamy 2 and up has decreased skill point requirements to unlock higher tier perks ie, you can get to the top of a tree with less skill points. That's the big one for me.

O.DOGG

Increased chance of Infamous quality items at the end of a heist.
And Infamy 2 and up has decreased skill point requirements to unlock higher tier perks ie, you can get to the top of a tree with less skill points. That's the big one for me.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm not sure it'll be worth the grind to reach level 100 again and again. I think I'll just play at 100 for the time being.

colt92

Neo Member
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm not sure it'll be worth the grind to reach level 100 again and again. I think I'll just play at 100 for the time being.

It's not that hard now. All heists had a major base xp and money boost. Hotline Miami gives 1.32M in overkill with all of the boosts, for example. And in lower levels, it's easy to powerlevel if you do a few bank heists in DW stealthily.

One thing that changed in your absence is that the xp payouts got MUCH bigger. When they first introduced Infamy I wasn't even gonna consider it, but now I'm thinking about it after how easily I finally finished maxing out.

TheSeks

Unless they nerfed them, you can do Infamy EASY if you have three people wiling to carry you through Death Wish (or probably even Overkill but that isn't as high) Hoxton Breakout (1.3 million) or Hotline Miami (730,000 or so EXP) without the EXP modifier. If someone is Infamous and carrying you, it increases it by 10,000 or 100,000 or so.

Six or so Hoxton = 100 cap IIRC to where you only need to get the Offshore Cash to Infamy again.

Also Almir's toast is FUCKING HEAVY. Holy shit, I wasn't expecting that for that stupid achievement.

speaking of infamy, I might just do it when I get to 100(lvl 96 right now). best part is when I spend that 200 mil, I'll still have some left over hehe.

Yo, am I the only one who always shoots out the fucking boom box in Go Bank? Every one of those songs is the most annoying shit in the world. Seriously. Where did they find people to make that obnoxious crap?

O.DOGG

It's not that hard now. All heists had a major base xp and money boost. Hotline Miami gives 1.32M in overkill with all of the boosts, for example. And in lower levels, it's easy to powerlevel if you do a few bank heists in DW stealthily.

One thing that changed in your absence is that the xp payouts got MUCH bigger. When they first introduced Infamy I wasn't even gonna consider it, but now I'm thinking about it after how easily I finally finished maxing out.

Unless they nerfed them, you can do Infamy EASY if you have three people wiling to carry you through Death Wish (or probably even Overkill but that isn't as high) Hoxton Breakout (1.3 million) or Hotline Miami (730,000 or so EXP) without the EXP modifier. If someone is Infamous and carrying you, it increases it by 10,000 or 100,000 or so.

Six or so Hoxton = 100 cap IIRC to where you only need to get the Offshore Cash to Infamy again.

Also Almir's toast is FUCKING HEAVY. Holy shit, I wasn't expecting that for that stupid achievement.

Thanks for the input, guys. After a couple of days, I'm pretty confident that I've caught up on the game. There are a couple of heists I'm not 100% clear on yet (Shadow Raid, Big Bank, a few others) but that'll come in time. Also, Hotline Miami is probably my favorite heist now. So varied and so much fun, I love it.

I'm thinking about going infamous now but I'm looking to get one or two specific weapon mods first. Too bad the mod system sucks so bad in this game. I like that the newer DLC mods come from achievements, I'd much rather have that than random drops. Anyway, I'll be grinding Jewelry Store tomorrow and probably by the end of the week I'll be back to level 1 with an I :)

Anyone else find the diamon heist... underwhelming? Clearly some love was put into it but AFAIK the last room is bugged for many people and it wasn't very difficult.

This is my first time playing since July and I really liked Hoxton breakout and Hotline Miami... White Xmas was kind of lame.

Valkrai

Anyone else find the diamon heist... underwhelming? Clearly some love was put into it but AFAIK the last room is bugged for many people and it wasn't very difficult.

This is my first time playing since July and I really liked Hoxton breakout and Hotline Miami... White Xmas was kind of lame.

Yeah its weak for loud players, this definitely was focused for stealth. I wish it should have been stealth only just like Shadow Raid. It's not a bad level just disappointing as a Dentist contract and the recent quality of heists.

Shinjica

Limiting the EXP if player are low level compared of your team is a stupid move. United with the fact that is impossible to start a particular heist is making the level up really loooong.

Top Bottom