• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

BKK

Shipping would probably be too expensive to the UK unfortunately. I think I'll just attempt to RGB mod my PC-Engine/CD-ROM2 when I eventually get it back from half way around the world.

The cable length on pc engine controllers is stupidly short, does anyone know anywhere that sells 8 pin din male to female extension leads?

An official 6 ft of extension cable for the tg16 is over £20 on ebay, ridicolous!

I know you can use standard 8 pin mini din cables as used by the Apple Mac for the Pc Engine and those are readily available online quite cheap but the stupid people behind the tg16 made sure it used the larger variant of 8pin din because 8 pin mini din is too small and that won't do for Johnny America!

Mzo

I know you can use standard 8 pin mini din cables as used by the Apple Mac for the Pc Engine and those are readily available online quite cheap but the stupid people behind the tg16 made sure it used the larger variant of 8pin din because 8 pin mini din is too small and that won't do for Johnny America!

Luckily the Turbo Duo went back to the PC Engine standard. Your final TG16/PCE/CD solution should use the Japanese cables, no question.

I won a character identification contest on the pcenginefx.com forums and received an Avenue 6 pad for free! Street Fighter II' is damned impressive running on this machine. It makes Advance V.G. way more playable as well.

Teknoman

The cable length on pc engine controllers is stupidly short, does anyone know anywhere that sells 8 pin din male to female extension leads?

An official 6 ft of extension cable for the tg16 is over £20 on ebay, ridicolous!

Try monoprice.com? I'm not sure if they do international shipping, but its worth a shot.

....what?

9zOuBax.jpg

Should answer the "Does doujindance speak English?" question.

I need to make a T-shirt of this.

Just want to say great job OP. This thread brings back a lot of found memories when I was a kid growing up in HK and frequenting shopping mall specialized in video games.

IrishNinja

oh, it's all fun & games until doujin is trying to walk you through tightening VR # 102

"always be the resistor of justice you should have a friend of minor soldering skill, then please set disc is problem of local postal offices. much work better then. everybody disco dancing."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"always be the resistor of justice you should have a friend of minor soldering skill, then please set disc is problem of local postal offices. much work better then. everybody disco dancing."

Who is modding?

Oh my god Bear is modding, how can that be?

Teknoman

oh, it's all fun & games until doujin is trying to walk you through tightening VR # 102

So...he's actually an evil overlord?

D.Lo

Well his work is great. I had to adjust the lazer a bit, but the RGB mod was very clean. Add an XRGB and it's better than was ever possible back in the day.

Shame I have to sell!

baphomet

My doujindance duo r should show up tomorrow hopefully. Super fucking stoked. My hori 6 button controller and extension should hopefully be next week as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what do you guys think I should get for Bomberman games? I already have the 3-in-1 disc that has the hidden Bomberman game on it. Is that the same as the regular Bomberman game?

Is there any reason to get 93 if get 94?

I guess if you're looking for a more "pure" experience? '93 doesn't have those animal things that you can ride and give you an extra hit.

Just an aside if you have Mega Bomberman on the Genesis, it's the same game as Bomberman '94, so don't mistakenly buy a redundant game you might already own.

Is there any reason to get 93 if get 94?

'93 is usually considered to be a bit better than '94, and it supports system saving too so you won't need to write down passwords like you do with '94 if you have any system with save memory in it. So yes, there are reasons to get '93.

Oh, and yes, the one on the 3-in-1 is the first TG16 Bomberman game.

I guess if you're looking for a more "pure" experience? '93 doesn't have those animal things that you can ride and give you an extra hit.

Just an aside if you have Mega Bomberman on the Genesis, it's the same game as Bomberman '94, so don't mistakenly buy a redundant game you might already own.
The Turbo version is slightly better, though...

Dicer

Banned
Got delivered BAKUSHŌ YOSHIMOTO NO SHINKIGEKI.
The game is a bizarre platform game released by Hudson Soft in 1994.
As a platform game it is a bit too simple and easy, the game in fact rarely challenge the player (the exception is the fourth stage).
Where Bakusho really shine though is in the presentation department and in the variety of situation it throws at you (one more absurd than the other).
The whole game is a series of running gag which , while deeply rooted in japanese humor, could be appreciated by a foreigner (well it's lowbrow humor...).
Graphics (there are many sprites and animations), sound, voices and music are all excellent.
The replay value is harmed by the fact that it is more focused in to be an experience than a game however there are different paths that the player can choose in the levels and that help a bit.

Overall Bakusho is far from to be a must buy for the system but its weird nature and uniqueness (the japanese quirkness nowadays so missed on consoles) coupled with the low price it can be found render it a fine addition to every PC Engine collection.

This game is the tits...

Super pleased.. Our store had a tournament for Kick Ball that went over well. After it was done I showed off Dracula X. One of the guys in the tournament showed up yesterday and told me because of my duo he was inspired to buy one of his own, so could I help him find more games? It was a nice feeling to get someone hyped up about the PC Engine.

Mzo

LOL!

When you climb out of the first pit, don't climb up too high to keep the screen from scrolling. Now you can see which blocks have blocks underneath and which ones are fake floors (no blocks underneath).

Don't ever fall in the monkey trap.

This is probably the 2nd game I'll use in my mad strats video series.

baphomet

My hori 6 button controller showed up today. Now to just wait for my arcade card duo card to arrive and I'll be set.

Also, fuck this 2ft cord.

baphomet

Sit on the floor in front of the TV as it should be done!

If I had the room for a setup like you posted awhile back that's exactly what I would do. I'm in the process of converting the garage into my retro setup/studio/work area so hopefully soon I can enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed.

Legend of Xanadu II came in today. So I continue my collection of PCE games I can barely read. It really seems though that non-japanese heavy games are all the more expensive ones. Still looking forward to playing LoXII when I'm done with Part 1.

Mzo

Beat Wonder Momo today.

Surprised at how much I liked it.

I was wondering what the hell that noise was that she makes when you start a game. Had an idea that it might be making fun of the MGM lion. Turns out the arcade game has a real roar that makes the joke obvious instead of the Pac-Man ass noises she makes in the PCE version.

Legend of Xanadu II came in today. So I continue my collection of PCE games I can barely read. It really seems though that non-japanese heavy games are all the more expensive ones. Still looking forward to playing LoXII when I'm done with Part 1.

If you can't read Japanese, good luck... the only guide for LoX 1 only gets through the first few chapters, and given how the game requires you to go to specific places at specific times... yeah. I want to play the game, but there's no way I'd be able to finish it unless someone continues that guide (on PCEFX), I think.

Dicer

Banned
If you can't read Japanese, good luck... the only guide for LoX 1 only gets through the first few chapters, and given how the game requires you to go to specific places at specific times... yeah. I want to play the game, but there's no way I'd be able to finish it unless someone continues that guide (on PCEFX), I think.

Ive been fiddling with google translate picture mode in a few pce games...working fairly well so far

Any tips on how to snag a doujindance duo-R? Looks like I missed one that went up last night. I'm guessing these are up for a VERY short time and am hoping GAF can give me some tips. I'm ready to pull the trigger!!!

baphomet

Any tips on how to snag a doujindance duo-R? Looks like I missed one that went up last night. I'm guessing these are up for a VERY short time and am hoping GAF can give me some tips. I'm ready to pull the trigger!!!

Before I got mine it seemed like they would go up around 1-2am mountain time. You can always message and ask when one night go up, but other than that, just be ready to buy it immediately.

Before I got mine it seemed like they would go up around 1-2am mountain time. You can always message and ask when one night go up, but other than that, just be ready to buy it immediately.

I've sent him a message asking but haven't heard back. Sounds like I need to start staying up late, at least until 11:30 Chicago time if I want a chance. Ughhh. I'm ready to buy it immediately. Just wish I knew when he was going to post the next one.

baphomet

Don't blame you. Plus it's only $30 less than his duo R's and they are usually in much better condition that that duo was.

Bog

Junior Ace

Think I got that one. Hah.

Yeah, I refreshed around 1am EST, just before I went to bed, and he'd just put it up. Took me nearly a month of checking, though.

Top Bottom