• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

i literally got mine by asking him to put one up for me, messaged him on EU ebay or something? i forget. doesn't matter, mine's temperamental anyway.

Wow, crazy coincidence that you were just talking about it last night. He only puts up a couple a month. Congrats.

I know. I was in a total haze when I woke up and turned to grab my iPad knowing there was a crazy slim chance. I hit refresh, did a double take and then 3 seconds later pushed "buy it now" and then rolled over and fell back asleep with a giant smile on my face. Now I gotta figure out what games I get.

IrishNinja

...oh my god

issue was solved tonight when bishopcruz & gunsmith came by: we took the system down, opened it, and...discs worked perfectly. no audio loss, no errors, nothing! seal it up, put it back in my entertainment unit by my TV, and...PLEASE SET DISC! returns. we try to sort out what changed: was it the tape on the RGB mod? interference going on somehow? etc....till one of them says to just put it flat on the ground with the case still on, and of course it works like a charm, because: it was on a slight tilt on said entertainment unit. that's literally all it was, though changing the pots couldn'tve hurt.

time to finally enjoy my Duo-R! much love to bapho on the pots again, bishopcruz for his work, and gunsmith for basic geometry that i didn't think of in the last nearly 9 months or so.

I know. I was in a total haze when I woke up and turned to grab my iPad knowing there was a crazy slim chance. I hit refresh, did a double take and then 3 seconds later pushed "buy it now" and then rolled over and fell back asleep with a giant smile on my face. Now I gotta figure out what games I get.

I know that feel. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night I hit up eBay and more often than not go back to sleep with a shit eating grin wheter it's some insane deal or finally picking up a rarity, haha.

sniperpon

I had to ship my doujindance Duo-R off to a member of the pcenginefx forum just to get the optical drive working after I spent about six hours tweaking the various "pots". It still won't recognize any discs whatsoever, although I do have it closer to working than with the way it was adjusted when I'd bought it.

People in said PC Engine community say that doujindance's work is seriously slipping in quality in the last few months... just a heads up for anyone looking at his units.

I had to ship my doujindance Duo-R off to a member of the pcenginefx forum just to get the optical drive working after I spent about six hours tweaking the various "pots". It still won't recognize any discs whatsoever, although I do have it closer to working than with the way it was adjusted when I'd bought it.

People in said PC Engine community say that doujindance's work is seriously slipping in quality in the last few months... just a heads up for anyone looking at his units.

How long have you had your system?

Shining

...oh my god

issue was solved tonight when bishopcruz & gunsmith came by: we took the system down, opened it, and...discs worked perfectly. no audio loss, no errors, nothing! seal it up, put it back in my entertainment unit by my TV, and...PLEASE SET DISC! returns. we try to sort out what changed: was it the tape on the RGB mod? interference going on somehow? etc....till one of them says to just put it flat on the ground with the case still on, and of course it works like a charm, because: it was on a slight tilt on said entertainment unit. that's literally all it was, though changing the pots couldn'tve hurt.

time to finally enjoy my Duo-R! much love to bapho on the pots again, bishopcruz for his work, and gunsmith for basic geometry that i didn't think of in the last nearly 9 months or so.
Congrats! Now you can finally enough gaming life!

IrishNinja

sucks to hear i'm not the only one who's encountered this - i still don't buy that might pots were somehow damaged during shipping - but i'm glad word is getting around. his customer service isn't awesome at first since he doesn't want to ship them back for repairs, but if you push he'll send any parts you need, at least.

i hope he gets things sorted or finds more competition in the near future. good luck man, PCE is a fantastic community so you should be good.

Congrats! Now you can finally enough gaming life!

finally, supported by ever gamers passion!

IrishNinja

nah man
feed it pot, keep it on a level plane, mail it around the world and bam, 9 months later it'll be ready to play stuff good

Yeah, but if you aren't a PCEFX member it gets a little tougher to do that. Though you can look around and find people who will do it. I'm planning on getting my Duo component modded soon.

Well, you could just join. On that note, I REALLY should join Atari-Age (yeah, I never have made an account there...), I have issues with my 7800 and Atari trackball controller and also have a broken 2600 that maybe could be fixed, and I doubt there'd be anywhere else with people who could deal with all that...

IrishNinja

^bish is all over PCE, please believe. amazing community they got there.

yeah i joined atari age but never did post back, been meaning to as well! ive yet to find a dedicated old school system community that wasn't cool, even the neo geo guys were straight by me.

baphomet

Yea mine showed up in excellent condition as well. Just to be on the safe side I did secure the rgb lines with some epoxy, but that's just being anal.

Yea mine showed up in excellent condition as well. Just to be on the safe side I did secure the rgb lines with some epoxy, but that's just being anal.

Good to hear, man. I did join the pc engine forums last Friday but still haven't been authorized to get in and post. What gives?

Yea I think it took a month or two to get approved.

That's crazy. Why would the community for a niche console keep other collectors out? Weird.

Totally different topic. I have bonks revenge and Lords of Thunder. I want to get two more kick ass games for when my system arrives. Any obvious recommendations? I'm going to get Rondo eventually but don't want to drop another $150 right now. I'm thinking about two good games for around 50-75. Ideas?

Dicer

Banned
That's crazy. Why would the community for a niche console keep other collectors out? Weird.

Totally different topic. I have bonks revenge and Lords of Thunder. I want to get two more kick ass games for when my system arrives. Any obvious recommendations? I'm going to get Rondo eventually but don't want to drop another $150 right now. I'm thinking about two good games for around 50-75. Ideas?

It's a niche group, and they are high strung. Not as bad as Neo-Geo peeps...but close lol

Depends on what you like, R-type Complete is a great package, best home version you can get IMHO, and can be had on the semi-cheap.

Aslo, I have some games for sale/trade here

Celine

What genres do you like or want to play?

IrishNinja

It's a niche group, and they are high strung. Not as bad as Neo-Geo peeps...but close lol

to be fair, it's gotta be a bitch trying to support said community & not have asshole resellers descend on it like vultures, i don't really blame them for not wanting to potentially foster that kinda thing

Mzo

to be fair, it's gotta be a bitch trying to support said community & not have asshole resellers descend on it like vultures, i don't really blame them for not wanting to potentially foster that kinda thing

It is, and they keep a close eye on the stuff they sell.

Treat them right, don't be a greedy asshole and you'll get awesome deals. My Turbo/PCE stuff has gone from 0 to awesome over the last two years, and a big part of that was the forums.

Well, you could just join. On that note, I REALLY should join Atari-Age (yeah, I never have made an account there...), I have issues with my 7800 and Atari trackball controller and also have a broken 2600 that maybe could be fixed, and I doubt there'd be anywhere else with people who could deal with all that...

Yeah, but it can be a month or two until you get posting rights. They just got an influx of newbies, so it may be a while.

Depends on what you like, R-type Complete is a great package, best home version you can get IMHO, and can be had on the semi-cheap.

Aslo, I have some games for sale/trade here

Heh, for some reason it never clicked that you were on GAF too, So much cross pollination in the retro scene.

Yeah, they HATE insta-collectors and resellers with a passion there. Here's a tip, don't co around asking for REALLY rare or expensive games until you have been there for a bit. Even then, it may not help. A lot of these dudes have been heavy in the scene for YEARS, and I think they are pretty bitter about the recent spike in Turbo prices (lord knows I am)

Action games, adventure titles, and shmups. Some RPGs if they're real classics.

Ok,

RPGs
Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a great RPG, dated, but very very cool story wise, blew my mind at the time. It's Working Designs' first RPG and first CD-ROM game. Can still be found for relatively little.

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes - A DQ clone that is also a bit dated, but I love it anyways. Endearingly horrible voice acting, and it has that Falcom charm that makes it better than the sum of its parts. It's getting pretty pricey and while not as rare as some of the later Super CD games, it's pretty damn uncommon, only 1 or 2 at most show up a month on ebay.

Ys - Books 1 and 2: An absolute classic, and one of the best versions of these games ever made. I still prefer the PC/PSP complete releases, for the extra stuff in them. But this is an amazing port with arguably the best arrangement of the soundtrack. It's getting more expensive too, but that is the Turbo life I suppose.

Action:

Valis III - Possibly the best in the series, and miles ahead of the Genesis version. Great music, great gameplay, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Monster Lair: Not too expensive, and it's a Wonderboy game mixed with a SHMUP. VERY unique and a lot of fun overall.

Adventure:

Loom: Never actually played the TG version, but I hear good things. One of my all time favorite point and click games. Outside of the FM Towns port, this one is supposed to be the best.

JB Harold: Murder Club - A digital novel/detective adventure, am waiting to go through the whole thing, but I'm liking it so far.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is eBay the best place to grab controller extensions? $14 seemed high, but maybe that's because I just saw Genesis cables for $5.99.

baphomet

Is eBay the best place to grab controller extensions? $14 seemed high, but maybe that's because I just saw Genesis cables for $5.99.

If you're talking PC engine extension any 8 pin mini din extension will work. I think I paid $2 for mine.

If you're talking PC engine extension any 8 pin mini din extension will work. I think I paid $2 for mine.

Yeah, the key question is, TG16 or Duo/PCE? Extenders for the former are expensive, for the latter are cheap.

Yeah, but it can be a month or two until you get posting rights. They just got an influx of newbies, so it may be a while.
Is GAF not still like that, I mean, the long waits? It certainly used to be...

Celine

Action games, adventure titles, and shmups. Some RPGs if they're real classics.
RPG only in english?

RPG:
YS 1&2
and if you don't mind japanese
YS 4, Tengay Makyou 2, Legend of Xanadu 2, Emerald Dragon

Action:
Shubibinman 3 (a bit on the easy side but good, also cheap)
Momotaro Katsugeki (a not so well known platform game by Hudson, also cheap)
New Adventure Island
The Dynastic Hero (the US version is expensive)
Pomping World
Ninja Spirits
Dungeon Explorer
Legendary Axe

Shumps:
Super Raiden
Gate of Thunder
Soldier Blade
Spriggan

Adventure:
There is Snatcher but it's japanese only.
Beyond Shadowgate (adventure game by ICOM)

antibolo

Banned
Thread title should have "Because who needs a 2nd controller?" replaced with "Because enjoy your enough gaming life" or something similar.

Is GAF not still like that, I mean, the long waits? It certainly used to be...

Right. And that's fine, I think waiting periods can help with weeding out bad posters and the like. But the original conversation was about getting mods done, and if you are looking to have it happen soon, PCEFX isn't the best place in that regard. I understand why everyone wants to enjoy enough their gaming lives. It's just easier to get a pre-modded system. Even with long shipping from Japan, you can get a region-free, RGB enabled system from doujindance in like half the time it would take to get a system shipped to you (likely from Japan as well) then wait for your membership to go through, then track down someone on PCEFX once it does, then ship it, wait for the mods, and get everything done, then shipped back.

I love the guys at PCEFX, but going strictly through them WILL take a while, especially if you don't already have a membership. The advantage being that those guys are some serious wizards when it comes to the internals of the PCE family.

Some of the dudes, like turbokon have their own websites up though. So you can go that route.

Sounds like my patience will likely pay off by getting a doujindance Duo-R. I just picked up Ys I & II, Devil's Crush and Dragon's Curse from People Play Games here in Chicago. That brings my turbo collection to 5 games...and my system isn't even here yet. Now I gotta get some more shmups and start saving for Rondo. And if the PCEngine forum let's me in anytime soon that would be nice. Until then I'll stick with my turbo friends here on GAF.

HaL64

Sounds like my patience will likely pay off by getting a doujindance Duo-R. I just picked up Ys I & II, Devil's Crush and Dragon's Curse from People Play Games here in Chicago. That brings my turbo collection to 5 games...and my system isn't even here yet. Now I gotta get some more shmups and start saving for Rondo. And if the PCEngine forum let's me in anytime soon that would be nice. Until then I'll stick with my turbo friends here on GAF.

I been hearing that People Play Games is expensive. How much did you pay for Devil's Crush and Dragon's Curse?

Mzo

I been hearing that People Play Games is expensive. How much did you pay for Devil's Crush and Dragon's Curse?

They are ridiculously expensive. I almost posted a similar question earlier.

If they know what they have, it's priced well above the eBay standard at the time. I laughed my ass off at their Turbo stuff last year. Doubt that's changed!

HaL64

They are ridiculously expensive. I almost posted a similar question earlier.

If they know what they have, it's priced well above the eBay standard at the time. I laughed my ass off at their Turbo stuff last year. Doubt that's changed!

Maybe he had a coupon.

Top Bottom