• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mercutio

Probably because half the TG16 is just empty plastic. What a waste of space.

Actually even worse... it isn't!

PTG_dis_2.jpg

Compared to:

pcecdmod8.jpg

Why the heck didn't they just use the original board? With the PC Engine Duo vs the Turbo Duo, they just slapped a metal shield around the board to make nice with the FCC.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Actually even worse... it isn't!

http://nfggames.com/games/grafx/PTG_dis_2.jpg

Compared to:

http://nfggames.com/grafx/pcecdmod8.jpg

Why the heck didn't they just use the original board? With the PC Engine Duo vs the Turbo Duo, they just slapped a metal shield around the board to make nice with the FCC.

Ha! You still have like a third of the PCB that's unused, though. I wonder if they still decided to expand the console's footprint first and then it was cheaper to manufacture if they used a larger board than the original?

baphomet

Yea, there's actually nothing really being used on that side. You can see where they were going to attach the built in game, but its not actually used. Its nice for mods because it gives you tons of extra room, but other than that its just unused space.

baphomet

wow, that's wacky. what specifically in the FCC regulations called for that?

No idea. My guess is that the 7805 even in the tg16 gets super fucking hot. Hot enough to burn the fuck out of you. I can imagine with less space the PC engine runs even hotter.

That's just a guess though.

I believe it's related RF shielding; that's why the model 1 Genesis weighs like twice as much as the model 1 JP Mega Drive, despite being the same size. There's way more metal shielding in the American system.

ZealousD

I believe it's related RF shielding; that's why the model 1 Genesis weighs like twice as much as the model 1 JP Mega Drive, despite being the same size. There's way more metal shielding in the American system.

They didn't really need to expand the footprint of the PCB just to add extra RF shielding, did they?

I would love to grab a region modded RGB PC-Engine some day, there has always been games that I've wanted to play on it.

Seems like they modded consoles go for quite a bit though...

The PC Engine is a console I've always been really interested in but never actually played on. Looks like you can get them for around £100+ on ebay at the moment, although those are of course auctions so will go up. Some questions to PCEngine-GAF.

- Are the games region free? So a US game would work in a Japanese system?
- What about the PAL system? Some are listed on ebay, I never knew it came out here. Would the system be 50hz and the games too?
- I guess the best route to take would be a Core GRAFX, then get a CD adapter later if you get in it?
- RGB mod doesn't sound too bad, is it even possible to mod the original white PC Engine, or just the Core GRAFX AV models?
- What is the little custom made "arcade stick" in some peoples posts? Are they newly made just for the PC Engines? They look cool (and probably expensive!)

Thanks!

antibolo

Banned
The PC Engine is a console I've always been really interested in but never actually played on. Looks like you can get them for around £100+ on ebay at the moment, although those are of course auctions so will go up. Some questions to PCEngine-GAF.

- Are the games region free? So a US game would work in a Japanese system?
- What about the PAL system? Some are listed on ebay, I never knew it came out here. Would the system be 50hz and the games too?
- I guess the best route to take would be a Core GRAFX, then get a CD adapter later if you get in it?
- RGB mod doesn't sound too bad, is it even possible to mod the original white PC Engine, or just the Core GRAFX AV models?
- What is the little custom made "arcade stick" in some peoples posts? Are they newly made just for the PC Engines? They look cool (and probably expensive!)

Thanks!

- CD games are region free, HuCard games are not.
- Officially no, there are no real PAL PC Engines, those that exist were modded with a built-in NTSC to PAL converter
- No, the absolute best route right now is to buy a fully modded (RGB output and region switch for US HuCard games) Duo-R or Duo-RX from eBay seller doujindance. This is what many of us have.
- I think it is
- Don't know what you are talking about

Celine

-cd are region free, hucard are not.
- PCE came out in Europe but only unofficially.
There aren t any "pal" games except for the packin game but it should play US hucards fine.

- CD games are region free, HuCard games are not.
- Officially no, there are no real PAL PC Engines, those that exist were modded with a built-in NTSC to PAL converter
- No, the absolute best route right now is to buy a fully modded (RGB output and region switch for US HuCard games) Duo-R or Duo-RX from eBay seller doujindance. This is what many of us have.
- I think it is
- Don't know what you are talking about

Thanks. I mean this:
09E4D77A-9D30-43EA-A5D4-3C702490C722-4483-0000059E742F8223.jpg

Yes Boss!

i don't know what that is, but i want one

That is my pic!

Yeah, definitely in my top five of my hundred sticks...probably number three. Totally cool. I'm still looking for a mint SFC version (missed an auction for $55 by a few bucks last year).

That is a multi-tap for four players (bomberman!) on the side, btw!

They didn't really need to expand the footprint of the PCB just to add extra RF shielding, did they?

A core PCE is tiny and packed with components as it is. It would be necessary to expand the size of the console. Now that you mention it though, they did really take it to the extreme.

ZealousD

A core PCE is tiny and packed with components as it is. It would be necessary to expand the size of the console. Now that you mention it though, they did really take it to the extreme.

Right. I mean they could use the same board, and then just add RF shielding. That would make the plastic shell larger, but not necessarily the PCB, right?

Just reading up on the RGB mod, one option (from the first page of this thread) is that you solder to the expansion port section of the PCB. Does that mean you could never attach the CD add-on then?

I just picked up a 2008 flat-tube 20" TV for $10.

It has component, but no s-video (wha?).

It's pretty nice, with a good input I think it'll look crisp (will test GameCube via component this weekend to verify).

Still, it should do for now, but I'm having a hard time adjusting the image (and it doesn't help that the PC-Engine composite is pretty terrible).

iUcg5kb.jpg

hA6q02I.jpg

Oare

Just reading up on the RGB mod, one option (from the first page of this thread) is that you solder to the expansion port section of the PCB. Does that mean you could never attach the CD add-on then?

No, you simply solder the wires of your amp to the solders pads of the expansion port on the motherboard.
The expansion port itself remains untouched and fully functional.

I played Monster Maker for an hour tonight after starting the daunting and arduous process of organizing and cleaning up some the junk in my game room. I tried playing this when I first got it and got stuck at the beginning. Either I was dumb or didn't try, because this time it was pretty smooth and I went into Happy 8-Bit RPG Mode. There sure is a lot of kanji in the game though, which makes it harder for me to deal with, but eh, I'll manage.

I'm not sure I'll stick with this long-tern right now as I've got some good games en route, but until then, I'll give it an hour or so a night.

Mercutio

Thanks. I mean this:
09E4D77A-9D30-43EA-A5D4-3C702490C722-4483-0000059E742F8223.jpg

God I love how little their design has changed. These guys do the infamously awesome xRGB products now. You can change every aspect of that stick... Even the angle of the buttons on the right. I wonder if it uses arcade parts?

But yeah, don't get a core and then add on the CD unit. You need so many things to make it work, and the drive is prone to failure.

Funny story... NEC made the CD player separate from the briefcase because of Japanese taxes on specific types of component. If the drive was more expensive, the taxes would have been crazy high. Instead, they put the extra processors inside the briefcase that connects them. The tax laws changed later and the duo systems avoided this.

Oh and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Do not buy a Non R or Non RX Duo. Avoid the black model no matter how good the deal seems. Even if the seller assures you the sound works, it will fail. You just don't know how bad it will be to replace the capacitors on until you crack it open.

vireland

No. It was totally marketing (i.e. "bigger is better" nonsense). I had this conversation with NEC staff directly on one of my visits when they were still located in Chicago.

HaL64

God I love how little their design has changed. These guys do the infamously awesome xRGB products now. You can change every aspect of that stick... Even the angle of the buttons on the right. I wonder if it uses arcade parts?

But yeah, don't get a core and then add on the CD unit. You need so many things to make it work, and the drive is prone to failure.

Funny story... NEC made the CD player separate from the briefcase because of Japanese taxes on specific types of component. If the drive was more expensive, the taxes would have been crazy high. Instead, they put the extra processors inside the briefcase that connects them. The tax laws changed later and the duo systems avoided this.

Oh and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Do not buy a Non R or Non RX Duo. Avoid the black model no matter how good the deal seems. Even if the seller assures you the sound works, it will fail. You just don't know how bad it will be to replace the capacitors on until you crack it open.

You got a black Duo you want to sell? :) I'll gladly replace the caps for that sexy beast.

Dicer

Banned
No. It was totally marketing (i.e. "bigger is better" nonsense). I had this conversation with NEC staff directly on one of my visits when they were still located in Chicago.

I got both stories, wish we had some sort of documentation to prove one way or the other, but that's probably lost to the ages.

HaL64

Well the wiiu kinda looked weak considering how small it was. They should have made it look bigger. I would have rather seen it in a bulky snes case... wait...
04dy7.jpg

Wouldn't you rather buy that?

I played Monster Maker for an hour tonight after starting the daunting and arduous process of organizing and cleaning up some the junk in my game room. I tried playing this when I first got it and got stuck at the beginning. Either I was dumb or didn't try, because this time it was pretty smooth and I went into Happy 8-Bit RPG Mode. There sure is a lot of kanji in the game though, which makes it harder for me to deal with, but eh, I'll manage.

I'm not sure I'll stick with this long-tern right now as I've got some good games en route, but until then, I'll give it an hour or so a night.
If you do stick with it, just make sure to remember to not leave that one tower that will become impossible to finish if you leave it, and don't expect an ending -- the game has a sequel-hook "ending", but the designer couldn't get it together to actually finish the sequel, so it never happened, leaving the game unfinished.

Otherwise I like it, though. The great graphics and music definitely help...

I believe it, but that was a reasonable thing to think at that time -- I mean, the NES was made MUCH bigger than the Famicom, and NES games were made twice as big as Famicom games as well. The idea that 'Americans like larger things' makes some sense. And really, I think the TG16 looks pretty nice for its time... yeah, it's bigger than it needs to be, but it's still on the small side, and the design is classic late '80s.

biocat

I wonder what kind of reasoning was behind the PC Engine Shuttle.

"Let's make it look like a bad 70s SFX prop!"

I still love it, but I'm really, really biased.

Btw, RIP WDMB.
Everytime you post here I think of that gem of a forum and its people.

koopas

Here's a question: are there any wii nunchuk adapters to plug a tg16 controller into?

Would love to play my air zonk on my wii u via my wii.

If you do stick with it, just make sure to remember to not leave that one tower that will become impossible to finish if you leave it, and don't expect an ending -- the game has a sequel-hook "ending", but the designer couldn't get it together to actually finish the sequel, so it never happened, leaving the game unfinished.

Otherwise I like it, though. The great graphics and music definitely help...
Thanks for the tip.

Well consider that I can't read, I'm not exactly following the story (through context and picking up a few words, it seems like Laia was framed for something, possibly involving her father, at the start of the game). But I do find it humorous that they put a sequel hook in a 1994 PC-Engine release. Same with putting the I in Madou Monogatari I, as if they were going to get to the others (if only they had tho *cry*).

antibolo

Banned
I believe it, but that was a reasonable thing to think at that time -- I mean, the NES was made MUCH bigger than the Famicom, and NES games were made twice as big as Famicom games as well. The idea that 'Americans like larger things' makes some sense. And really, I think the TG16 looks pretty nice for its time... yeah, it's bigger than it needs to be, but it's still on the small side, and the design is classic late '80s.

No, the reason the NES was designed this way was to deliberately make it look like it's not a game console, so they can avoid the "game consoles are dead" stigma of the video game crash.

Dicer

Banned
No, the reason the NES was designed this way was to deliberately make it look like it's not a game console, so they can avoid the "game consoles are dead" stigma of the video game crash.

Too much NES talk, in here :p

but this is the NES I always wanted...

juFgyHsP4hzRT.jpg

Mercutio

Boxed DUO-R with S-Video/RGB & TG16 mod up now from DoujinDance.

It's pretty mint. Someone buy it before I do something dumb and end up with another Duo-R.

Wow, that looks perfect. The controller's whiter than mine as well.

You got a black Duo you want to sell? :) I'll gladly replace the caps for that sexy beast.

Sold it for parts already. The caps were replaced and the video worked fine, but one of the caps in the audio section leaked and destroyed the already very short trace. I'm not sure if it even was fixable.

Thanks for the tip.

Well consider that I can't read, I'm not exactly following the story (through context and picking up a few words, it seems like Laia was framed for something, possibly involving her father, at the start of the game). But I do find it humorous that they put a sequel hook in a 1994 PC-Engine release. Same with putting the I in Madou Monogatari I, as if they were going to get to the others (if only they had tho *cry*).
The first game apparently was delayed a long time because it took a lot longer than expected to finish, so it's not too surprising that the sequel never got finished... just sad, because the first one is a decent game and it should have continued. There are other Monster Maker games, since it's a license, but none of the others are related in any way to the TCD games' story. Laia has a few cameos (as a card in one game for instance), but that's it.

If you haven't found it, here's info on the key bug and how to not get stuck: http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/01/monster-maker.html

As for Madou Monogatari, though, that IS a series, just only on Japanese computers (and the Game Gear). There are a bunch of those games on the PC98 and such. Four (I-III and A) also have JP Game Gear versions, but A's two followups, R and S, are computer only. There are some other (topdown, not first-person) Madou Monogatari RPGs, though, on SNES, Saturn, and GBC. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/puyo/puyopuyo3.htm (and the GBC game on the next page)

There definitely are other games out there that call themselves "part 1" but never got a continuation, however. Sadly it happens sometimes. :(

That's part of the reason, but not all of it. I mean, they thought about a smaller one, but they decided to make it bigger and more VCR-like, and they doubled the size of the cartridges as well -- and really the only good reason for that would be just to make them bigger for the US market...

The first game apparently was delayed a long time because it took a lot longer than expected to finish, so it's not too surprising that the sequel never got finished... just sad, because the first one is a decent game and it should have continued. There are other Monster Maker games, since it's a license, but none of the others are related in any way to the TCD games' story. Laia has a few cameos (as a card in one game for instance), but that's it.

If you haven't found it, here's info on the key bug and how to not get stuck: http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/01/monster-maker.html
Right, thanks, that is useful.

AND HOLY CRAP THAT SITE. That's amazing, so many writeups on lesser known (in English) PC-Engine games, my credit card is going to melt now.

As for Madou Monogatari, though, that IS a series, just only on Japanese computers (and the Game Gear). There are a bunch of those games on the PC98 and such. Four (I-III and A) also have JP Game Gear versions, but A's two followups, R and S, are computer only. There are some other (topdown, not first-person) Madou Monogatari RPGs, though, on SNES, Saturn, and GBC. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/puyo/puyopuyo3.htm (and the GBC game on the next page)
Oh, I know a good amount about Madou Monogatari, I was just saying that I wish they had gotten to make II and III in the same Arcade CD PC-Engine style.

The Saturn version is really neat too, very import friendly as long as you've ever played an RPG before.

Right, thanks, that is useful.
One other thing I know is that work began on a perhaps unrelated Saturn Monster Maker game by NEC, but, just like with the second Turbo CD game, it didn't get finished.

AND HOLY CRAP THAT SITE. That's amazing, so many writeups on lesser known (in English) PC-Engine games, my credit card is going to melt now.
If you're looking for lots of Japanese TG16/PCE game reviews, The Brothers Duomazov is great (though not everyone is going to agree with them for sure! The guy really likes his brutally hard games...). Another great site to go to is VGDen: http://www.videogameden.com/

Oh, I know a good amount about Madou Monogatari, I was just saying that I wish they had gotten to make II and III in the same Arcade CD PC-Engine style.
Well, given that Madou Monogatari I for the Genesis and Turbo CD didn't release until 1996, it's not exactly surprising that the sequels weren't on those platforms... though it is too bad that they didn't do a Saturn/PS1 compilation of them, as with Wolfteam's Arcus I-II-III for the Sega CD.

The Saturn version is really neat too, very import friendly as long as you've ever played an RPG before.
Which Saturn one? I have Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon, but not the other one.

Mercutio

So I've gone ahead and gotten one of the Anime4Ever PCE reprint / noprint 3 packs. I know, I know. Not a real copy of Sapphire. And yeah, I've read the discussion about Mega Man and its suspicious origins. But there's no way I'd ever get a real copy of it, or Sapphire, and have them look natural in my collection. Anyone have these?

What should I be looking to spend for a PC-ENGINE Core? They seem to be going for $50-60 on ebay, but so many of those are 'buy it nows' that it's becoming harder and harder to tell the true value of things online.

Would I be getting suckered if I spent $60 on a working PC-Engine Core?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What should I be looking to spend for a PC-ENGINE Core? They seem to be going for $50-60 on ebay, but so many of those are 'buy it nows' that it's becoming harder and harder to tell the true value of things online.

Would I be getting suckered if I spent $60 on a working PC-Engine Core?

I'm curious to know the price of them in Japan, too.

Torgo

Just had my US Duo modded with S-Video, Stereo Out, Region mod, and DJMizuhara snagged me a Supergrafx in beautiful condition a while back. I also have a Turbo Express as well.

My collection so far:

Title: Region:
1941 Counter Attack JP
Aero Blasters US
Air Zonk US
Aldynes JP
Alien Crush US
Andre Panza Kick Boxing US
Arcade Card Duo JP
Ballistix US
Batman JP
Battle Ace JP
Battle Royale US
Battlefield in Tokyo Dome Wrestling '94 JP
Black Tiger JP
Blazing Lazers US
Bloody Wolf US
Bomberman '93 US
BoxyBoy US
Bravoman US
Buster Bros. US
Cadash US
Castlevania: Dracula X JP
Champions Forever Boxing US
Chew Man Fu US
China Warrior US
Cosmic Fantasy 2 US
Cotton US
Cratermaze US
Cyber-Core US
Darius Plus JP
Davis Cup Tennis US
Dead Moon US
Detana!! TwinBee JP
Devil's Crush US
Download 2 JP
Dragon's Curse US
Dragon Slayer US
Dragon Spirit US
Dungeon Explorer US
Dungeon Explorer II US
Dungeon Master Theron's Quest US
Exile US
Falcon US
Fantasy Star Soldier US
Fantasy Zone US
Fatal Fury 2 JP
Fatal Fury Special JP
Fighting Street US
Final Lap Twin US
Final Soldier JP
Final Zone II US
Galaga '90 US
Gate of Thunder US
Genocide JP
Gunboat US
Hit The Ice US
Impossamole US
It Came From the Desert US
J.J. & Jeff US
Jack Nicklaus Golf US
JB Harold Murder Club US
John Madden Duo Football US
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones US
King of Casino US
(The) Legendary Axe US
Legendary Axe II US
Loom US
Lords of the Rising Sun US
Lords of Thunder US
Macross 2036 JP
Mado King Granzort JP
Magical Chase JP
Military Madness US
Monster Lair US
Moto Roader US
Namco World Stadium JP
Neutopia II US
Neutopia US
New Adventure Island US
New The Pro Yakyuu Super Baseball JP
Ninja Spirit US
Ordyne US
Pac-Land US
Parasol Stars US
Pomping World JP
Power Golf US
Prince of Persia US
Pro Yakyuu World Stadium JP
Psychic Storm JP
Raiden US
Raxyamber II JP
Raxyamber III JP
Red Alert JP
Riot Zone US
Rom Rom Stadium JP
Samurai-Ghost US
Sapphire JP
Shadow of the Beast US
Shape Shifter US
Sherlock Holmes 2 US
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective US
Shockman US
Sidearms US
Sidearms Special JP
Silent Debuggers US
Sinistron US
Space Harrier US
Splash Lake JP
Spriggan JP
Spriggan Mark2 JP
Street Fighter II CE JP
Super Darius JP
Super Ghosts and Goblins JP
Super Star Soldier US
Super Volleyball US
Takin' It to the Hoop US
Talespin US
This is Pro Baseball '89 JP
This is Pro Baseball '94 JP
Tiger Road US
Time Cruise US
Timeball US
Tricky Kick US
TV Sports Basketball US
TV Sports Football US
TV Sports Hockey US
TwinBee JP
Vails II US
Veigues Tactical Gladiator US
Victory Run US
Vigilante US
World Class Baseball US
World Court Tennis US
World Heroes 2 JP
Yo Bro US
Ys Book I & II US
Ys III Wanderers from Ys US

On the note of Monster Maker, a few months ago I did a bit of quick internet research into Monster Maker, looking up the sequel, franchise, and Saturn game, mostly. I posted this at PCEFX but not here, but it might be interesting... though it'd be better if we knew more, this is is what I found.
I started playing Monster Maker recently, and the mostly solid gameplay, good lead character in Lia, and great graphics and music definitely make me sad that the sequel never finished. Yeah, the game is badly buggy, but there's so much here...

So, I looked up the sequel, and could find almost nothing in English except that it was in development, but then was cancelled. Japanese Wikipedia has a bit more, but machine translations are near-unintelligible... so, can anyone here help? Here are the relevant bits I found.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/多部田俊雄

モンスターメーカー 闇の竜騎士
前後編構成の前編に相当するPCエンジン用ソフト、当初予定より2年遅れて1994年に発売された。販促活動の一環として当時は珍しいラジオ番組『アミューズメントパーティーファーストアベニュー』を久川綾と笠原弘子の出演でTBSラジオにて放送したが、番組放送中にソフトが発売されることは無かった。更には後編の『モンスターメーカー 神々の方舟』が結局未発売に終わったため、謎や伏線が全く回収されない尻切れトンボとなってしまった。先述のユーゲーインタビューでは「当初の予定の8倍に内容が膨らんでしまった」「後編のCG、音声、スクリプトはほぼ出来上がったが、PCエンジン用なので他機種で出すには完全作り直しになるので出せなかった」と語っている。当時のPCエンジン雑誌に於いて「これ以上延期した場合は丸坊主になる」といった旨の宣言をしたが、その甲斐もなく延期。件のPCエンジン誌には坊主頭にサングラスでにこやかにポーズを取った多部田の写真が掲載された。

Machine translation, half unintelligible:

Dragon Knight of Darkness Monster Maker
PC Engine software applications that correspond to the first part of the front and rear knitting configuration, and it was released in 1994 after a delay of two years from the original schedule. Rare radio program at the time the "First Avenue amusement party" as part of the promotional activities Hisakawa Aya and Kasahara Hiroko in appearance of TBS Radio was broadcasting in, but there was no software that will be released in the program being broadcast. Since the "Ark of the Monster Maker Gods" of the sequel ended in yet to be released eventually, it became a left unfinished the foreshadowing and the mystery is not recovered completely even. "What has gone swollen to eight times the originally planned" CG of the "latter part, voice, script was almost finished, but this out because it would recreate complete enough to get in the other models because the PC engine in Yuge interview previously described you are, "said did not. Was a declaration to the effect that such as "become clean-shaven head if you have to postpone any more" and in the PC Engine magazine at the time, but postponed without a meeting. Photos of Taveta that posed smiling in sunglasses in Shaved has been posted on the PC Engine magazine matter.
If the game was as far along as this suggests, it's really unfortunate that they couldn't manage to finish it... :(

Also, a Saturn Monster Maker game was in development from the same guy.

モンスターメーカー ホーリーダガー
PCエンジン版とは別ストーリーとなる予定だったセガサターン版。こちらも発売延期を繰り返して結局未発売。

Machine translation:
Monster Maker Holy Dagger
Was expected to be a different story from the PC Engine version Sega Saturn version. This is also yet to be released eventually repeat the postponement.

Getting back to the TGCD games though, here's more info about the game, with some interestiing but almost incomprehensible through machine translation info, from Lia's Wiki-style Pixiv page. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdic.pixiv.net%2Fa%2F%25E3%2583%25A9%25E3%2582%25A4%25E3%2582%25A2

Note: Bold parts are bold in the original version.
Summary

Was released in 1994 PC Engine hero of "Dragon Knight of Darkness Monster Maker" SUPER CD-ROM ^ 2 game.
We left the village of Ferundo, the journey to reveal the truth.

Not the birthplace, the house grew up was a foundling.
Able to talk to monsters is possible, was get on the wrong side around therefore.
However, it is the owner of a bright personality brave in practice.

From the ear of Kirenaga, half-assed half-elf had been subjected to speculation that or not.

Biggest victim of "fraud to issue out"
of poor producer multi-NEC Interchannel of (at the time).
Released time of generational change upcoming PC engine when the last line of repeated postponement to postponement, was released at last.
(Already Saturn it is time the summary of begins to flow in the streets)
Besides content only "half before".
"Ark of Monster Maker Gods" which is the second half was not released at last.
For this reason, the identity of her secret of birth, such as the ability of true was Mai same not told.
(However, from the chronology of the Monster Maker world,
Her conclusion may not have been the thing which never blessed.
In fact, interviews to give out an odor it was listed in the official guide book of "Dragon Knight of Darkness")

Although it is she who is "a tragic heroine" literally,
It is superb card of TCG in "Monster Maker Resurrection" at the end.

Name the last time head story

It is "Ira" If you read upside down from her name.
The name is fantasy of "Ira" is not uncommon creative, and be divided,
In fact I'm also Monster Maker.
Protagonist of the novel "Monster Maker: Dragon Rider",
Boy you are out with a little role to "secret sword of ur 2 Monster Maker" version.
However, there is no picture in question still currently in pixiv.
Uh... yeah. Here's the link to the original Japanese. http://dic.pixiv.net/a/ライア
Beyond that I can't find anything of note about the sequel, but I found some stuff related to the game/series, so I'll post that below though it's mostly about the first game and not the second.

Also series-related, and kind of interesting:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/muroto/mm/mmold/mmcha.html - This site has a release list of Monster Maker-franchise titles. The game is originally a card-game RPG, and has various games based on it, but the NEC game is unrelated to the rest -- as this chart I linked shows, the main character of the TGCD game (in the last column on the right) doesn't appear in any of the other Monster Maker-licensed titles, and none of the characters from the other games appear in the TGCD game. I'm not even sure if characters from the source material appear in the TGCD game at all, either; note how the characters shown on the boxes for some of Sofel's NES/GB/SNES Monster Maker games also appear on the guidebooks, but the girl who's the main character in the TGCD game does not.

Monster Maker fanpage (main page link): old version: http://homepage3.nifty.com/muroto/mm/mmold/mm.htm ; new version: http://homepage3.nifty.com/muroto/mm/mmold/mm.htm There isn't much on the site, but it was kind of interesting anyway.

More general Monster Maker (not for the TGCD games) info can be found on the JP Wikipedia page for it: http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25E3%2583%25A2%25E3%2583%25B3%25E3%2582%25B9%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%25A1%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2582%25AB%25E3%2583%25BC#.E3.82.B3.E3.83.B3.E3.83.94.E3.83.A5.E3.83.BC.E3.82.BF.E3.82.B2.E3.83.BC.E3.83.A0 or in Japanese http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/モンスターメーカー

http://monstermaker.jp/ - Official site for the cardgame; it apparently still exists, in some level. http://monstermaker.jp/mmfc/index.htm Note how the characters here...

Sofel games: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/569811-monster-maker-2/images/box-8026 http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/569813-monster-maker-barcode-saga/images/box-6897 http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/570619-monster-maker-7-tsu-no-hihou/images/box-9951 http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/564317-monster-maker-iii-hikari-no-majutsushi/images/box-5156/box-5156http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571169-monster-maker-kids/images/box-9955
Are the same ones in the Sofel console games, linked here.

NEC's game, however, while it also uses the license, seems to be an entirely original title, with a new lead character, Lia, and its own story. So why is it licensed at all? Just to get more sales? Did they use monsters from the series? I would think they did that, at least. Of course, Monster Maker (TGCD)'s main character is great; the problem is that this means that none of the other games are any help at all with that stupid "to be continued" ending since they are entirely unrelated as far as story and characters are concerned.

... Or maybe the original Monster Maker character designs do make an appearance. I see the mage girl in one of the screenshots on this Japanese blog post about Monster Maker, for instance: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fameblo.jp%2Fmemolmemol%2Fentry-11574780098.html

Also, Lia (TGCD MM's MC, remember) has a cameo as a card in Monster Maker 4 Flash Card for the GBA, as seen here: http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/006/001/26/N000/000/014/124141654098516322502.jpg http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmii5.at.webry.info%2F200910%2Farticle_7.html&act=url

Monster Maker, the TGCD game, also has a soundtrack CD... that'd be nice, the music is great of course. Only 7 tracks, though? http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BCCDII-%E9%97%87%E3%81%AE%E7%AB%9C%E9%A8%8E%E5%A3%AB-%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9F%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B00005MST5

More searching for stuff about Monster Maker 2 in Japanese ("モンスターメーカー 闇の竜騎士") leads to more blog/article stuff about how buggy Monster Maker is (many consider it a 'kusoge' as a result, which is understandable really), and how the sequel wasn't finished and it has no ending. If I see anything more with real info about the sequel, I'll post more. This review of the game is a bit more positive, but still is critical overall. It mentions the cancellation of the sequel as well. Etc.

On an entirely unrelated note, the same guy behind Monster Maker TGCD apparently was also involved in Strider's much-delayed TGCD port, and also was working on a version of Wardner as well... huh, didn't know about that one. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fja.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F%25E5%25A4%259A%25E9%2583%25A8%25E7%2594%25B0%25E4%25BF%258A%25E9%259B%2584 The article claims that TG16 (PCE) Wardner was complete but cancelled because of... I don't know what, machine translation isn't good. Not good enough maybe? I have the Genesis version of Wardner, seems like a fairly graphically simple game... fun, though.

[URL="http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=16306.0" said:
SamIAm at PCEFX[/URL]]「後編のCG、音声、スクリプトはほぼ出来上がったが、PCエンジン用なので他機種で出すには完全作り直しになるので出せなかった」

"The CG, voice recording, and the script for the second game were more-or-less done, but they were done for the PC Engine, and moving the game to another system would have meant doing everything over again." he said.

This post of his has a bit more about it, though some of it's just a repeat of the "watch out for that one tower and it's unfinished" bit. http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9456.msg266168#msg266168
I was reading about Monster Maker in Japanese. It's a tragic story, really. Or a story of incompetence, whichever you prefer.

The project actually started in like 1991 or so, and it had a famous producer who made good stuff but took forever doing it. Wouldn't you know, Monster Maker got delayed. Then it got moved to the Super CD, and was delayed again. Then they decided to redraw the character art, so they had another massive delay. They said in interviews that they wanted to make the best RPG anyone had ever seen.

Who knows exactly what was going on behind their doors? But I'd guess that the management at NEC Avenue lost their shit at some point and ordered them to finish it and turn it out within a few months or else. The game that came out in late '94, over two years past its original release date, was loaded with bugs and only half-finished. Seriously, there was supposed to be an equally large part-two in the works, but it was canned. More alarmingly, the game came with a small pink piece of paper saying "once you go into this one tower, don't come out until you have this one conversation or the event data will get borked and your game-save will be ruined forever." And that's just the worst of a long list of bugs.

It looks like it could have been really cool, too. I like the moody piano music and the funky pastel art. What a shame.

Anyone here play it all the way through? There's a full play on niconico, but speak of the devil, it's got a Japanese nerd talking over it the whole way (saying the most obvious crap in the world, too).

Mzo

So I've gone ahead and gotten one of the Anime4Ever PCE reprint / noprint 3 packs. I know, I know. Not a real copy of Sapphire. And yeah, I've read the discussion about Mega Man and its suspicious origins. But there's no way I'd ever get a real copy of it, or Sapphire, and have them look natural in my collection. Anyone have these?

Yep! Was there a question or something?

Sapphire is ridiculously expensive on its own. This isn't a bad alternative while still being high-quality enough to not mess with your Duo's laser.

The Rockman port is a continuous project by a member of pcenginefx.com. This pressed disc is some random older version of it, printed without his permission. I played it through, it's straight up Rockman.

I actually like Space Fantasy Zone. That's a real game that never got a proper release. It's fun.

All the packaging looks pretty nice.

Top Bottom