• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

I finally found a copy of Soldier Blade for a decent price! :D (around €30)

I guess that's about it regarding my PC Engine games collection, I should have about 50 by now and I don't think I'll be getting any other.
Maybe just OutRun, but isn't the Mega Drive/Genesis version better?

Also I'd love to get Sapphire, but not at that price.

EDIT: Oh and I still need to buy a CD unit, whether to get a Duo R or a CD Player with an interface unit is still to be decided...
I'd also love to get a GT, but it's so expensive... :/

One other thing I know is that work began on a perhaps unrelated Saturn Monster Maker game by NEC, but, just like with the second Turbo CD game, it didn't get finished.
That's too bad, I really like the art in the series. I really wish some of the board/card games had been localized (that's where I first heard of Monster Maker, actually).

If you're looking for lots of Japanese TG16/PCE game reviews, The Brothers Duomazov is great (though not everyone is going to agree with them for sure! The guy really likes his brutally hard games...). Another great site to go to is VGDen: http://www.videogameden.com/
Oh yes, I could tell right away I wasn't going to base anything on their opinions right out, but the fact that they actually play and review and journal so many games as opposed to providing one screenshot from the start of the game is immensely helpful in guiding me in mapping out my future purchases. My only real gripe is that most of their writeups have massive endgame and ending screenshots in plain sight.

Well, given that Madou Monogatari I for the Genesis and Turbo CD didn't release until 1996, it's not exactly surprising that the sequels weren't on those platforms... though it is too bad that they didn't do a Saturn/PS1 compilation of them, as with Wolfteam's Arcus I-II-III for the Sega CD.
Yeah, I'm bummed by both personally (and the eventual closure of Compile, they could have been great in a digital download world, since they were already kind of doing those types of games with their Disc Station stuff). Anyway, the PC-Engine version has become quite elusive I see, I am afraid to see what it sells for now, but if it's not TOO bad I will do what I can to get it, I just wish I had done so years ago.. although I see Popful Mail selling for less than what I got it for back then and that was a "holy grail" find for me, even though I don't think it's actually "rare."

Which Saturn one? I have Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon, but not the other one.
The one actually called Madou Monogatari. It's a SNES-era Final Fantasy style RPG instead of a dungeon crawler and it's pretty straightforward. If you're at all interested in the series, track it down and give it a run, it's simple but fun, and the characters and world are just awesome.

I have Waku Puyo as well, if I recall it was a rather uneventful roguelike, but still amusing for a Madou/Puyo fanatic.

What should I be looking to spend for a PC-ENGINE Core? They seem to be going for $50-60 on ebay, but so many of those are 'buy it nows' that it's becoming harder and harder to tell the true value of things online.

Would I be getting suckered if I spent $60 on a working PC-Engine Core?
$60 is a good price, to be honest.

Would you be able to get it cheaper if you wait and engage in a bid war? Possibly, but for something like that, a few bucks is not worth the waiting and hassle. Grab it.

Also, you can also review the "Sold" option on eBay for what they've sold for (Buy it Now and bids).

So I've gone ahead and gotten one of the Anime4Ever PCE reprint / noprint 3 packs. I know, I know. Not a real copy of Sapphire. And yeah, I've read the discussion about Mega Man and its suspicious origins. But there's no way I'd ever get a real copy of it, or Sapphire, and have them look natural in my collection. Anyone have these?
Were you only interested in Sapphire and Rockman? Because I could take the Space Fantasy Zone off of your hands.

Mercutio

Were you only interested in Sapphire and Rockman? Because I could take the Space Fantasy Zone off of your hands.

Nah, I'm interested in Space Fantasy Zone too. Might as well have all the weird oddities.

I've actually heard from folks at the PCE forum that the Rockman and SFZ discs are very well pressed... some kind of Sony format that reads very well on older hardware for compatibility and require large orders made.

Anyone buying a Core system should be aware that the white one only has RF for video / audio output. I don't think I even have anything that can connect to that anymore. The other colors have Composite, though there is a thing you can slap on the back of the white core to get composite too. You can get it modded though.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p391745794

I've seen a lot of boxed ones on YAJ, usually between $50 and $70. The Core II goes for $90 boxed.

Mercutio

^ I think only Sapphire was pressed on CD while the other two are standard CD-R.

As per Bonknuts on the PCE Forum:

Yeah, they are supposedly Sony DADC cd-rs. They're specially made and there are places that will professionally burn stuff on them for you, for compatibility with old(er) embedded CDrom systems and such (basically like the old turbo CD and such). There's not just a regular old CDr. Good for very small production runs where you don't want to spend $1000+ on a minimum press order.

Oare

"The first half of a two-parts PC Engine game, it was released in 1994 after two years of delay. In an unusual fashion for the time, part of its promotion was conducted through a radio program called "Amusement Party First Avenue", with hosts Aya Hisakawa and Hiroko Kasahara, which aired on TBS radio. But the program ended before the game was released. To make matters worse, its sequel "Monster Maker - The Ark of Gods" ended up not being released at all, leaving all the mysteries and plots unsolved. In his aforementioned (2003) interview with "Used Games" magazine, (Tabeta) claimed: "the game's contents ended up eightfold what we had originally planned", "the graphics, sound and script of the sequel were almost done, but since they had been built for the PC Engine, we would have had to redo everything from scratch in order to release it on a different platform, which is why we couldn't".
At the time of development, he said in a PC Engine magazine something to the effect of: "if the game suffers any more delays, I'm going to shave my head", but to no avail. A photo of him wearing sunglasses and smiling with his hair buzzed down later appeared in the same magazine."

Anyone buying a Core system should be aware that the white one only has RF for video / audio output. I don't think I even have anything that can connect to that anymore. The other colors have Composite, though there is a thing you can slap on the back of the white core to get composite to.

The device you can slap on the back of the PC Engine is called "AV Booster", I think.
But I'd imagine anybody buying a white PCE would also get at least an IFU-30, which has composite out too anyways.

Mercutio

The device you can slap on the back of the PC Engine is called "AV Booster", I think.
But I'd imagine anybody buying a white PCE would also get at least an IFU-30, which has composite out too anyways.

Yeah, that's the device. Unfortunately it blocks the slot you'd attach your CD system to though. Of course, the CD system would give you new outputs as well.

I kind of want an Arcade Card Pro as opposed to a Duo, because it looks so much cooler.

But why are they like three times as expensive? Ouch. So much for that idea.

I'm going to assume that these are as crummy as other wireless products from that time, but does anybody have any experience with the PC-Engine Cordless Pad Set?

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k176874399

8hcxsUY.jpg

TheWraith

Having so much fun with Legend of Xanadu 1 at the moment. Love how fresh and original the gameplay feels with its original leveling up and and straightforward item system. The characters and story also really come alive, and love the sideview platform levels that end each level, really makes you look forward toward them. Have heard the criticism of the excessive fetch questing but really don't mind this as the game really pushes you to keep exploring. Can't believe how this game is being looked over nowadays!

Having so much fun with Legend of Xanadu 1 at the moment. Love how fresh and original the gameplay feels with its original leveling up and and straightforward item system. The characters and story also really come alive, and love the sideview platform levels that end each level, really makes you look forward toward them. Have heard the criticism of the excessive fetch questing but really don't mind this as the game really pushes you to keep exploring. Can't believe how this game is being looked over nowadays!

The main reason would be that there's no translation and only an English guide for the first couple of chapters, and the game is near-impossible to play unless you know Japanese because of the fetch-quests tied to the clock (how you have to be at specific places at specific times).

If someone does a translation patch or guide for the rest of the game, I think that it'd get more attention than it currently does... but as it has been so far, only people with a LOT of patience or knowledge of Japanese can get far in it. What little of it I can play certainly seems great, but most of it is inaccessible...

"The first half of a two-parts PC Engine game, it was released in 1994 after two years of delay. In an unusual fashion for the time, part of its promotion was conducted through a radio program called "Amusement Party First Avenue", with hosts Aya Hisakawa and Hiroko Kasahara, which aired on TBS radio. But the program ended before the game was released. To make matters worse, its sequel "Monster Maker - The Ark of Gods" ended up not being released at all, leaving all the mysteries and plots unsolved. In his aforementioned (2003) interview with "Used Games" magazine, (Tabeta) claimed: "the game's contents ended up eightfold what we had originally planned", "the graphics, sound and script of the sequel were almost done, but since they had been built for the PC Engine, we would have had to redo everything from scratch in order to release it on a different platform, which is why we couldn't".
At the time of development, he said in a PC Engine magazine something to the effect of: "if the game suffers any more delays, I'm going to shave my head", but to no avail. A photo of him wearing sunglasses and smiling with his hair buzzed down later appeared in the same magazine."
It's really unfortunate that the game didn't finish... sounds like it'd have been pretty big! And while a mostly finished script and art isn't exactly a finished game for sure, it's too bad that none of it has ever leaked; it'd be interesting to see.

As for the 'we'd have to redo everything' comment, though, that's not really true... I mean, there are some Turbo CD games which had straight ports to the Saturn, with nothing changed other than minor visual upgrades. See AnEarth Fantasy Stories and Gulliver Boy, for two good TCD RPG examples of that. Too bad they didn't do that at least. Ah well.

Yeah, who cares about the AV Booster if you have a CD drive? The IFU has AV outputs, just like the US Turbo CD base unit does.

That's too bad, I really like the art in the series. I really wish some of the board/card games had been localized (that's where I first heard of Monster Maker, actually).
Ah. I first heard of the Turbo CD game, then heard of the franchise after looking into the game. I have one other Monster Maker game now, III for the SNES; it's okay, but going by that game, Sofel's games aren't as good as NEC's... another reason I wish NEC had made more than one. Ah well.

Oh yes, I could tell right away I wasn't going to base anything on their opinions right out, but the fact that they actually play and review and journal so many games as opposed to providing one screenshot from the start of the game is immensely helpful in guiding me in mapping out my future purchases. My only real gripe is that most of their writeups have massive endgame and ending screenshots in plain sight.
Well, they do review many games that most of the people reading the site will probably never finish, so it's nice to have that stuff online somewhere, probably...

Yeah, I'm bummed by both personally (and the eventual closure of Compile, they could have been great in a digital download world, since they were already kind of doing those types of games with their Disc Station stuff). Anyway, the PC-Engine version has become quite elusive I see, I am afraid to see what it sells for now, but if it's not TOO bad I will do what I can to get it, I just wish I had done so years ago.. although I see Popful Mail selling for less than what I got it for back then and that was a "holy grail" find for me, even though I don't think it's actually "rare."
MMI for TCD was December '96, no way would there have been another game in the series on that platform. The game was actually the only game released that year that supports (much less requires) the Arcade Card, oddly enough... all the others are from '94 and '95. But despite that, yeah, its price isn't that high. I presume that it's because it's an RPG in Japanese -- lower prices for that. Fewer people are interested in games that they can't play! It's pretty easy to understand why import shmups are expensive while RPGs aren't.

As for Compile, who knows, maybe digital-download stuff would have been good for them... but they couldn't make it to then. Ah well. What I really wish, though, is that Compile had kept making shmups.. their shmups were some of the best, but then they almost completely stopped making them after 1993 in favor of just Puyo and Madou Monogatari stuff. Too bad.

The one actually called Madou Monogatari. It's a SNES-era Final Fantasy style RPG instead of a dungeon crawler and it's pretty straightforward. If you're at all interested in the series, track it down and give it a run, it's simple but fun, and the characters and world are just awesome.

I have Waku Puyo as well, if I recall it was a rather uneventful roguelike, but still amusing for a Madou/Puyo fanatic.
Ah. I haven't played Waku Puyo much, but that cloth poster/map thing it comes with is nice... not sure if I'll put it up or not (it's a big diamond shape...), but it's cool.

As for the other games in the series, reviews like HG101's are somewhat iffy -- they emphasize how simplistic the games mostly are, for sure. I haven't played them too much myself, though... I like the Puyo Puyo games, but 8/16-bit-style RPGs? Much more mixed feelings about that stuff.

Shining

Finally snagged a boxed RGB Duo-R from our friend in the east. I was set on a boxed Duo-RX but they seem to be quite uncommon. It should be here in a week or two :)

I have about $30 left in the pool I gave myself for my initial PC-Engine splurge and I'm on the fence on what to get with it.

The Cheesecake Pack: Dragon Knight II and Dragon Knight III.

These are supposed to be short and simple and obviously filled with delicious imagery.

The Falcom Pack Part Dooex: The Legend of Xanadu and The Legend of Xanadu II.

I just got both Legend of Heroes discs, so while this is something I want (and probably need), I've got some Falcom on my plate as is.

The Finally Something That Doesn't Present a Language Barrier Pack: Valis II and Valis III.

I guess this is another PCE stable, the action/platform genre would be a nice change of pace and, of course, cheesecake.

The Amuse My Friend Game: Macross 2036.

This costs what the above doubles will, but one of my gaming buddies is a big Macross dork and this could be amusing for both of us.

The OMG AWESOME Game: Spriggan or Winds of Thunder.

Either of these are a ting over my budget (but doable), so it's low priority but I also don't have a marquee Super CD shmup yet (beside my unopened trophy game, Sapphire).

Dicer

Banned
I have about $30 left in the pool I gave myself for my initial PC-Engine splurge and I'm on the fence on what to get with it.

The Cheesecake Pack: Dragon Knight II and Dragon Knight III.

These are supposed to be short and simple and obviously filled with delicious imagery.

The Falcom Pack Part Dooex: The Legend of Xanadu and The Legend of Xanadu II.

I just got both Legend of Heroes discs, so while this is something I want (and probably need), I've got some Falcom on my plate as is.

The Finally Something That Doesn't Present a Language Barrier Pack: Valis II and Valis III.

I guess this is another PCE stable, the action/platform genre would be a nice change of pace and, of course, cheesecake.

The Amuse My Friend Game: Macross 2036.

This costs what the above doubles will, but one of my gaming buddies is a big Macross dork and this could be amusing for both of us.

The OMG AWESOME Game: Spriggan or Winds of Thunder.

Either of these are a ting over my budget (but doable), so it's low priority but I also don't have a marquee Super CD shmup yet (beside my unopened trophy game, Sapphire).

I vote Winds....

Dicer

Banned
Any of the shooters will probably get more immediate use, so yeah, that's up there.

If I had to reasonable, I have Lords of Thunder on Wii, so Spriggan might edge it out, but boy do I love me some Lords/Winds.

I love Spriggan, and I get flak but I love Spriggan MkII even more.

All of those games there are good, except for maybe Valis... tough choice!

That does seem to be an unpopular stance.

Actually, I don't think I've EVER played a horizontal Compile shooter, I will definitely try to grab it at some point.
Spriggan MKII is their only hori shmup ever, so if you haven't played that one, you haven't played any Compile hori shooters! I think it's okay, but yeah, it definitely isn't as good as Spriggan, or their other top shmups.

All of those games there are good, except for maybe Valis... tough choice!
So is Valis actually bad bad or just not great? I wouldn't mind it being middling just to have a fresh genre in my queue. The girlie factor helps too.

Spriggan MKII is their only hori shmup ever, so if you haven't played that one, you haven't played any Compile hori shooters! I think it's okay, but yeah, it definitely isn't as good as Spriggan, or their other top shmups.
Ah yeah, I thought so. It's lower on my want list but I will get it eventually just for that curiosity.

antibolo

Banned
I bought the Valis games (II, III and IV) after hearing so much positive opinion of them from Brandon Sheffield on the Insert Credit podcast.

They're not great (kind of Castlevania-ish, but with really dumb level design and repetitive gameplay), but the voiced animated cutscenes are pretty neat. The games were ported to several systems, but only the PC Engine versions have them. When I show off the PC Engine to guests, I tend to start with the Valis games.

My problem with Valis games is the extremely frustrating level design / enemy placement style the series uses. Basically the games are extremely memorization-heavy -- enemies fly in from every direction, and your job is to memorize where they all come from so you'll hit them before they hit you, pretty much. It gets very frustrating, very quickly; I don't know if I've actually LIKED any Valis games. The cutscenes are good, sure, but with the annoying enemy placements, occasional frustrating jumping puzzles (in the fourth game, for instance), design which sends you back to the beginning of a level when you get a game over in it, hard bosses (and yes, game over = redo the stage)... they just aren't very fun.

I think the second one on TCD is easier and more straightforward than some of the later ones, though? I forget, haven't played that one in some time.

antibolo

Banned
The Japanese versions of II III IV are cheap and common. They have neat (early 90's anime, yay) cover art and colorful instruction manuals. A nice addition to one's PC Engine library.

Unless you really want to experience the hilarious dubs of the US versions, of course. And the terrible cover art where they desperately try to turn the main heroine into some Wonder Woman knockoff. American sensibilities, y'all.

Also, IV never got a US release (TG16 was already dead at that point I guess).

The original game was the last to get ported to PC Engine, this one is very rare though (and again no US release).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The original game was the last to get ported to PC Engine, this one is very rare though (and again no US release).

It's not that rare. I only paid about $40 after shipping on eBay. And that was just a couple weeks ago.

The Japanese versions of II III IV are cheap and common. They have neat (early 90's anime, yay) cover art and colorful instruction manuals. A nice addition to one's PC Engine library.

Unless you really want to experience the hilarious dubs of the US versions, of course. And the terrible cover art where they desperately try to turn the main heroine into some Wonder Woman knockoff. American sensibilities, y'all.

Also, IV never got a US release (TG16 was already dead at that point I guess).

The US did get I, II (SD/Syd), and III on the Genesis, and IV on the SNES, so we did get versions of all four games... just not the Turbo CD versions of I and IV. And yeah, the Turbo CD versions are the better ones compared to SNES and Genesis -- CD audio, better cutscenes with voice acting, and saving in II through IV for instance, none of which the cartridge versions have -- but still, those other versions aren't THAT much worse otherwise.

Of course though, when you're dealing with games as borderline as the Valis games are to begin with, losing CD audio and voiced cutscenes really does hurt... but the gameplay is quite similar to the Turbo CD games. That means they're just as annoying and frequently unfun, unfortunately -- except there you have to start the whole game over after turning one off in annoyance, while on Turbo CD (I aside, since for some idiotic reason they didn't put a save system in that one as far as I can remember) you can actually continue from the level you left off at.

TheWraith

New haul:
2014-05-02213731_zps771fed4f.jpg

Paid under 9USD a piece, through a local auction site. Neutopia 2 has actually got the Hucard for both Neutopias in there.

Bonk 2 is sealed and unopened:
2014-05-02180309_zpsefcb541a.jpg

Hmm should I open it GAF yes or no? I'm going to Tokyo for a weekend trip next month so could always get a cart only version for cheap, but still mighty tempting...

Bar81

New PCE games bring a tear to my eye. It's amazing that good games still have sealed copies 20+ years later.

Thanks for the feedback on Valis, I think I'll hold off and see if I can get the Valis II cheap somewhere down the line and go from there.

TheWraith, that's a good haul. Sell the Bonk, there's no reason to have a sealed retro game other than to sell it to fund buying other retro games. And hey, if you're in Tokyo, grab me a nice condition cheap Arcade Card Pro if you can (and maybe Dracula X, Madou Monogatari, Slyphia and um, probably dozens more cheaper things).

Let me know how the Puyo Puyo port is, I don't think I've got a version of that on hand at the moment and PC-Engine would be nice to call it home at this point.

antibolo

Banned
It's not that rare. I only paid about $40 after shipping on eBay. And that was just a couple weeks ago.

That's a pretty good buy. Last time I checked it was at least $65, which was more than I was willing to pay for a Valis game. Although it would be nice to complete my collection I guess...

woodypop

Yeah, the best thing about Valis II is the cutscenes. It's just not that fun of a game. I find that most of the time I'm stutter stepping my character along, intermittently firing in preparation for the enemies to come running at me from off-screen. Gets tedious.

On the note of Valis, Legion (Japan-only TCD) is the shmup for Valis fans! I mean, it's also from Telenet, and you're absolutely swarmed by enemies that fly in from offscreen from all directions, much like Valis -- but much, much harder. Legion is crazy-brutal hard, and most people hate it because of that... though that it's a CD game with chiptune music doesn't help either, or the average-at-best graphics. But it does have two player co-op, okay gameplay if you manage to memorize it enough to survive, and amusing English-language voiceover clips that play during each level; this is why it has chiptune audio, the CD has the story bits on it instead.

Mzo

Valis II on the TGCD is a bad game. It's ugly, it controls poorly, the level design is terrible and boring, and the game doesn't scroll until you're almost pushing on the right edge of the screen. That last one especially is the hallmark of a terrible game.

The cutscenes are cool if you know what's going on, despite the terrible VA. I suffered through it once and I might do it again for a video but for fun? Never again.

Syd of Valis (gag) on the Genesis is a better version. It keeps the different weapons and equipment of the original PC-88/98/MSX game, plays better (but not by much!) and at least looks kind of kawaii. Super easy, though.

I won a few cheap games on eBay instead of getting something direct, although one of the games WAS Dragon Knight II (for $3, yay) so I did get something I wanted. He had Dragon Knight III for that price as well but it legit disappeared as I was trying to bid on it last night (or something with the app went cuckoo), which was kind of upsetting.

And with that, my buying needs to take a breather unless I see another "deal" opportunity, straight up buys are on hold until I get some of my own useless junk (and rare duplicate games) on eBay myself.

Once my stuff comes rolling in, I'll try to post mini updates on them, as most of what I've collected are lesser known (or lesser talked about, at least) stuff.

Mercutio

I won a few cheap games on eBay instead of getting something direct, although one of the games WAS Dragon Knight II (for $3, yay) so I did get something I wanted. He had Dragon Knight III for that price as well but it legit disappeared as I was trying to bid on it last night (or something with the app went cuckoo), which was kind of upsetting.

And with that, my buying needs to take a breather unless I see another "deal" opportunity, straight up buys are on hold until I get some of my own useless junk (and rare duplicate games) on eBay myself.

Once my stuff comes rolling in, I'll try to post mini updates on them, as most of what I've collected are lesser known (or lesser talked about, at least) stuff.

Some of the prices on eBay are great. I got the 3 Ranma 1/2 games for $16 shipped last week! The fighter one on super CD is actually quite fun.

I cheated on my PC-Engine today and bought a Sega CD game. :-\

Some of the prices on eBay are great. I got the 3 Ranma 1/2 games for $16 shipped last week! The fighter one on super CD is actually quite fun.
Interestingly enough, I saw another 99¢ Dragon Knight III auction the day after the one I missed ended for $2 that went for like $13. Ah well.

So what's up with the PCEngineFX forum? How long does it take to get an account approved?

Top Bottom