• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

conBLACK

Neo Member
If anyone is looking for a modded Duo-R from doujindance, I can second the recommendation to contact him mentioned earlier in the thread. I missed one on the 8th, (pretty sure it was the one mikeBlack got), so I contacted him on the 11th, and he put one up within a few hours and replied back to me to let me know it was there. It was one that was RGB and region modded with a SCART cable and an Avenue 6 pad.

It beats setting your alarm clock for 2:30 to check if he put one up every day!

TheWraith

Warning to potential buyers: it appears that this unit is not modded for supporting US HuCards.

Unless you are 100% sure you will never get TG16 HuCard games I would strongly recommend waiting for another one.

Just bought this one! Since I will only play Jap games anyway so the fact that it wasn't region modded wasn't any issue to me. Can't wait. Don't have my Framemeister yet, how crappy will this look on my HDTV?

Mzo

Just bought this one! Since I will only play Jap games anyway so the fact that it wasn't region modded wasn't any issue to me. Can't wait. Don't have my Framemeister yet, how crappy will this look on my HDTV?

They'll look crappy, but what you should really be worried about is input lag.

I need some PC-Engine recommendations, maybe a little deeper than the usual stuff.

Here are some things I'm looking for.

Action RPGs.
Dragon Quest clones.
Platformers.
Anything with awesome 90's anime art.
Ecchi stuff.

Unless we're looking a digital novels, language barrier doesn't bother me much and even still, if you have something really neat looking, push it my way, if I like the look of it, it'll just be another slot in my "improve Japanese" bank.

Celine

I need some PC-Engine recommendations, maybe a little deeper than the usual stuff.

Here are some things I'm looking for.

Action RPGs.
Dragon Quest clones.
Platformers.
Anything with awesome 90's anime art.
Ecchi stuff.

Unless we're looking a digital novels, language barrier doesn't bother me much and even still, if you have something really neat looking, push it my way, if I like the look of it, it'll just be another slot in my "improve Japanese" bank.

Action RPGs:
Ys 1&2/3/4, Dungeon Explorer 1/2, Dynastic Hero, Neutopia 1/2, Legend of Xanadu 1/2.

Dragon Quest clones:
Tangai Makyo 1/2/Kabuki spin off (especially 2), Legend of Heroes 1/2

Platformers:
Bonk 1/2/3, New Adventure Island, Momotaro Katsugeki, Jackie Chan (Kick as music), Bakusho Yoshimoto No Shinkigeki (for the quirkness).

More a sidescrolling action game but also check Shubibinman 3.

Anything with awesome 90's anime art:
Most PCE games have "awesome 90's anime art".
A few anime game you could be interested in:
Future Boy Conan (average game but good anime art although not 90s), Dragon Ball Z, Snatcher, Gulliver Boy, Gotzendiener (for the connection with Gainax), SOTSUGYOU GRADUATION (it's a breeding game more than a ecchi game).

Ecchi stuff:
Whatever Elf did on the system I suppose.

Thank you for the suggestions, Celine, but I'm looking to go deeper.

I already have (or know of) the stuff you posted, many of which are "Top Ten" list stuff. :)

Götzendiener was a good grab though, I'll add that to my list.

Celine

@PixyJunket
Well, most of it is "top 10" material because I usually won't recommend less than good games :) (although a few of what I've listed is not that good).

For more deep stuff try check:
Susa-no-Oh Densetsu, Shiryō Sensen,Out Live, Cobra: Kokuryūō no Densetsu, Deep Blue.

EDIT:
Also
Megami Paradise, Aurora Quest, EFERA AND JILIORA, Magicoal, Moonlight Lady, Solid Force, Makai Prince Dorabotchan, Sol Moonarge.

For more deep stuff try check:
Susa-no-Oh Densetsu, Shiryō Sensen,Out Live, Cobra: Kokuryūō no Densetsu, Deep Blue.

EDIT:
Also
Megami Paradise, Aurora Quest, EFERA AND JILIORA, Magicoal, Moonlight Lady, Solid Force, Makai Prince Dorabotchan, Sol Moonarge.
Now we're talking.

Thanks, I'm going to check a few of these out and see which ones go on the "to buy" list.

Here's my piddly Super CD collection. There might be one or two missing?

My HuCard collection is pretty big though, I'll try to catalog that soon.

I love the character art in Monster Maker so much, I just wish I knew how to play the game (maybe I should try again?).

AjIUa3l.jpg

I've put together a list of games I want to pick up in varying tiers (such as GET ASAP, Expensive Games, Get at Some Point, etc.).

I'll try to grab a game or two every paycheck, I guess. I've been meaning to do a PC-Engine collection for a long time, I just wish I had followed through with it after my first big box came in a decade or so ago. Ah well, I make more money now so it evens out (at least I'll justify it that way). I think I'm going to start with a couple of silly RPGs that don't seem to have much English presence, I've got my eye on a few that look amusing enough. After that I'll probably try to even out games I can play competently and games that I'll have to trip through with my awful Japanese skills.

About this doujindance dude, can I send him my Duo to be RGB modded (and possibly have the lens/motor tuned) or does he strictly mod and sell?

Mzo

He's not very good and he lives in Japan. Up to you, I guess. I'd ask over at pcenginefx.com, some of the dudes there are wizards.

baphomet

He's not very good and he lives in Japan. Up to you, I guess. I'd ask over at pcenginefx.com, some of the dudes there are wizards.

I wouldn't say he's not good. Both of the mods of his I've looked at were nice and clean with decent wire management. I wouldn't say it was great though. You'd never communicate enough to work out sending him a duo to mod though, lol.

Collection time.

The Japanese HuCards were all from one box I bought from Japan years ago, except Tower of Druaga, which I purchased separate. I MAY have tracked down Bikkuriman World separate, but it may also have been part of the box (and one of the main reasons I got the box), I'm not 100% on that because it was so long ago. The box was just under $100 (most of that shipping, ugh).

Sorry for the blurry pictures, the lighting in my game room is really harsh at the moment.

SELzkuy.jpg

LAZuhQS.jpg

wZC9qyB.jpg

KxZO10r.jpg

It's a second print version, which I guess they're calling a "professional bootleg" these days? I bought it when they were first put up in 1998 or 1999 or so. I've never opened it, I've considered selling it but I'll probably just try to grab an Arcade Card at this point.

Speaking of that, does anyone know what the Arcade Card does for the hybrid CDs, such as Brandish and Popful Mail?

Celine

It's a second print version, which I guess they're calling a "professional bootleg" these days? I bought it when they were first put up in 1998 or 1999 or so. I've never opened it, I've considered selling it but I'll probably just try to grab an Arcade Card at this point.

Speaking of that, does anyone know what the Arcade Card does for the hybrid CDs, such as Brandish and Popful Mail?
AC is usually used to improve the quality of the cutscenes in this kind of games (Popful Mail and 3x3 Eyes should be prime examples of this).

TheWraith

Today's haul:

2014-04-23192600_zpscf24c64c.jpg

CD Denjin has a scratch in the outward edge of the disc crossing into the written part, anyone know how picky a Duo can be for these kind of things?

AC is usually used to improve the quality of the cutscenes in this kind of games (Popful Mail and 3x3 Eyes should be prime examples of this).
Yeah, Arcade CD enhanced games, that work on the Super CD but also support the Arcade CD, use the arcade card for fewer loading times and better cutscenes. If there's a game that enhances in-game play I don't know of it, but I do know games add additional animation or scenes, less loads after the first one, and such to the cutscenes. Popful Mail and 3x3 Eyes are some of the best examples of that for sure; there are comparisons out there, some nice improvements.

Yeah, Arcade CD enhanced games, that work on the Super CD but also support the Arcade CD, use the arcade card for fewer loading times and better cutscenes. If there's a game that enhances in-game play I don't know of it, but I do know games add additional animation or scenes, less loads after the first one, and such to the cutscenes. Popful Mail and 3x3 Eyes are some of the best examples of that for sure; there are comparisons out there, some nice improvements.
Thanks.

I guess I should try to locate one, if not for Sapphire than for Popful Mail, although I can't promise to give it any priority at the moment.

TheWraith

Damnit finally got my PC Engine Duo in from Dojindance, but unfortunately can't get it to work on my Samsung HDTV.

When connected through AV Composite I get this kind of picture, very dark spots and screen scrolls. Sounds is also garbled.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170519_zps6125dab2.jpg
and
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170523_zpsda484098.jpg

When connected to the Scart to HDMI Device referenced earlier, I also get a scrolling picture but the colors are inverted as well, which may be because the scart upscaler is made for European Scart (?) . No sound at all when doing this.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170816_zps60a57d60.jpg
and
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170832_zpsae5c0d25.jpg

Would this problem be related to my TV not able to handle the 240p(?) signal of the Duo or maybe a problem with the video output of the console itself? Cannot try it with another TV or monitor at the moment, so really have no idea what I can do to check the problem....

Was soooo looking forward playing tonight. T_T

Mercutio

I posted this in the pick ups thread, but it sort of got buried. So, now it goes here!

I bid on and won a boxed Duo R on YAJ. I think I overpaid a little, but it's in MUCH better shape than expected.

box_zps69f71e0e.jpg

Each part had correct baggies, and the foam seems untouched.

IMAG0095_zps3nh9qwya.jpg

The controller still had the plastic to peel on the front.

IMAG0098_zps99797f33.jpg

And it included ALL the documentation. I've never seen most of this stuff. I've read a lot of "Complete in Box" stuff on eBay, but this actually included EVERYTHING you'd get with a new system. It also looks like the original point of sale was on August 20th, 1994. I didn't realize that the Duo R was being sold so late.

IMAG0110_zps5e26438e.jpg

System itself is mint, no yellowing. I'm not sure how much it was ever used.

system_zps6a7c0054.jpg

There's a copy of Dracula X in there for scale.

I absolutely love this system. I haven't touched any other console, new or old, since getting it. I'll put up a shot of my HuCard / Super CD collection thus far soon. My console also came with that strange Memory Bank box... the one you put actual AA batteries inside of. I have a copy of Emerald Dragon en route to try and take advantage of it.

Mercutio

Damnit finally got my PC Engine Duo in from Dojindance, but unfortunately can't get it to work on my Samsung HDTV.

When connected through AV Composite I get this kind of picture, very dark spots and screen scrolls. Sounds is also garbled.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170519_zps6125dab2.jpg
and
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170523_zpsda484098.jpg

When connected to the Scart to HDMI Device referenced earlier, I also get a scrolling picture but the colors are inverted as well, which may be because the scart upscaler is made for European Scart (?) . No sound at all when doing this.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170816_zps60a57d60.jpg
and
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/gatts888/2014-04-24170832_zpsae5c0d25.jpg

Would this problem be related to my TV not able to handle the 240p(?) signal of the Duo or maybe a problem with the video output of the console itself? Cannot try it with another TV or monitor at the moment, so really have no idea what I can do to check the problem....

Was soooo looking forward playing tonight. T_T

Hmm, that SCART to HDMI dealie should be giving your TV a good signal. I've had one of those and if it's anything like mine, it SHOULD output an upscaled picture that your TV won't have a problem with. Your SCART converter isn't for Japanese SCART, is it? I'm pretty sure plugging a Euro SCART into a Japanese one would fry it, but yours seems to be unfried if you're getting a picture.

Really, the best thing to do is try another TV. I hope it isn't your system. Maybe you can take it to someone else's house?

TheWraith

Hmm, that SCART to HDMI dealie should be giving your TV a good signal. I've had one of those and if it's anything like mine, it SHOULD output an upscaled picture that your TV won't have a problem with. Your SCART converter isn't for Japanese SCART, is it? I'm pretty sure plugging a Euro SCART into a Japanese one would fry it, but yours seems to be unfried if you're getting a picture.

Really, the best thing to do is try another TV. I hope it isn't your system. Maybe you can take it to someone else's house?

I got it to work via composite, it seems the composite cable was faulty and I had to push the cable slightly more.

I think the problem with the RGB scart is that it is a japanese scart but the upscaler is wired for a european scart. Dojindance suspects the same. He says he can't send me a european scart cable tho, anyone know where I could get one?

Mercutio

I got it to work via composite, it seems the composite cable was faulty and I had to push the cable slightly more.

I think the problem with the RGB scart is that it is a japanese scart but the upscaler is wired for a european scart. Dojindance suspects the same. He says he can't send me a european scart cable tho, anyone know where I could get one?

Yikes! I've actually heard about xRGB devices being fried by plugging Euro SCARTS in. Guess it doesn't do damage the other way!

Maybe an SCART made for a Genesis would work? Doesn't that have a similar connector to what he uses on his consoles?

antibolo

Banned
First thing you should do is confirm that the cable is indeed the problem. Do you have a multimeter? You can check the pinout yourself and confirm that it really is a proper SCART layout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/duoav.htm
The cable will have 3 extra pins on the PC Engine side for the red, green and blue.

(And as I already said in the RGB thread, there is no such thing as "Japanese SCART", it's called JP21).

If the cable is indeed wrong then you should ask doujindance to send you the right one again, and file a PayPal dispute if he refuses, because you now have proof that it's his damn fault.

TheWraith

First thing you should do is confirm that the cable is indeed the problem. Do you have a multimeter? You can check the pinout yourself and confirm that it really is a proper SCART layout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/duoav.htm
The cable will have 3 extra pins on the PC Engine side for the red, green and blue.

(And as I already said in the RGB thread, there is no such thing as "Japanese SCART", it's called JP21).

If the cable is indeed wrong then you should ask doujindance to send you the right one again, and file a PayPal dispute if he refuses, because you now have proof that it's his damn fault.

Before he send the package to me Doujindance asked which wiring for SCART I wanted. If I wanted to use it later on with a Framemeister he said he "would have to re-wire the Scart for Japanese wiring" (his words). I chose that as I planned on getting an XRGB in the near future. His feedback now is that that is the problem as the image seems in negative colors and has no sound but for the rest appears quite crisp, as the upscaler gets wrong info in some contacts (?).

antibolo

Banned
Wait so you actually asked him to do JP21 to begin with? That changes everything.

Yeah, obviously it's not going to work on a device that is clearly labeled "SCART". Again, JP21 is not SCART.

Easiest solution for now would be to buy a JP21 to SCART adapter cable.

TheWraith

Wait so you actually asked him to do JP21 to begin with? That changes everything.

Yeah, obviously it's not going to work on a device that is clearly labeled "SCART". Again, JP21 is not SCART.

Easiest solution for now would be to buy a JP21 to SCART adapter cable.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get a new SCART cable somewhere? Weren't they interchangeable with Genesis scart/av cables?

antibolo

Banned
Wouldn't it be easier just to get a new SCART cable somewhere? Weren't they interchangeable with Genesis scart/av cables?

No, doujindance's RGB cables are unique, because he takes the stock PC Engine pinout and adds extra pins for the color signals. The resulting configuration is not compatible with anything else, it uses the same connector as a Master System or Genesis 1 but the pinout is different (compare http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/duoav.htm with http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm).

Of course you could just ask him to do another one for you (probably not free).

IrishNinja

^it's a beauty, and Mercutio's is absolutely gorgeous - congrats on getting a new model nearly 20 years later man, that's incredible!

baphomet

Unless you know someone who can wire them to his pin out, your only option is to ask him to sell you a European wired scart cable.

What a beautiful piece of hardware it is the Duo-R.
Probably my favorite looking home console ever.

I don't know, it's a nice sleek looking system, but the ridiculous '80s charm of the TurboGrafx-16 plus CD and base unit is pretty nice too... :) I haven't seen a Duo-R in person, but in pictures it looks kind of bland compared to the TG16+CD. Though I guess it's kind of like the Genesis 1 + Sega CD 1 vs. the Genesis 2 + Sega CD 2... I like the look of both of those, but they're definitely very different in style. But for the TG16... I don't know, based on pictures the Duo/R/RX doesn't look as interesting as the TG16+CD to me.

Mercutio

^it's a beauty, and Mercutio's is absolutely gorgeous - congrats on getting a new model nearly 20 years later man, that's incredible!

Just luck, I think! Japanese sellers are so conservative in their description of the condition of things. I don't think the listing even had the manuals in the pictures.

I actually have a severe soft-spot for the original Duo; I adore the early 90s design of that thing. My first foray into Duo ownership ended in tears; I got a great model for $70 on YAJ, and tried to do the capacitor replacement myself... only to find the corrosion to be much more severe in the audio section than I could rectify. I could get it working with buzzy audio, but it just wasn't good enough.

I'm actually very surprised how much better the composite video output is on this model compared to the original Duo. Games were a muddy mess before... it's way cleaner now. Looks as good as the S-Video out of my Saturn.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm going to go ahead and say that I think that a TG-16 plus CD addon looks like the dumbest, most unpractical form factor ever.

Probably because half the TG16 is just empty plastic. What a waste of space.

reson8or

I'm going to go ahead and say that I think that a TG-16 plus CD addon looks like the dumbest, most unpractical form factor ever.

Bought that bad boy (the CD Add-on) the day it came out. I gotta admit, the time I thought it was awesome, since I guess CD tech in games was new. But yea in retrospect it was pretty nutty. You should see the size of the the box it came in, was Gigantic it also came with a carrying case to hold the entire thing.

Celine

I don't know, it's a nice sleek looking system, but the ridiculous '80s charm of the TurboGrafx-16 plus CD and base unit is pretty nice too... :) I haven't seen a Duo-R in person, but in pictures it looks kind of bland compared to the TG16+CD. Though I guess it's kind of like the Genesis 1 + Sega CD 1 vs. the Genesis 2 + Sega CD 2... I like the look of both of those, but they're definitely very different in style. But for the TG16... I don't know, based on pictures the Duo/R/RX doesn't look as interesting as the TG16+CD to me.
I am more attracted to the '90s design and truth to be told I don't like much neither MD1 or MD2.

My top looking console would probably be:
1) PCE Duo-R
2) N64
3) SNES (SFC or PAL)
4) 3DO FZ-1 (looks like an high end VCR)
5) Neo Geo CD (though it's really big)
6) Atari 2600
7) Dreamcast
8) Wii
9) PSone
10) GC

I'm almost tempted to to do a "Console beauty contest" thread lol

Top Bottom