• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Dicer

Banned
Got some good stuff in the post this morning.

Ac40ht7.jpg

All lovely and mint except Spriggan which is sadly missing the spine card but it only cost $10 so I'm not too bothered.

That's a sweet pile o' pickup, and spriggan for $10 WHERE?!?!?!!?

antibolo

Banned
I prefer to play the superior, original version in all its glory over a butchered port.

The "superior, original version" is running the real game on real hardware. Which as we've already established is too expensive, if it weren't I would have already bought it.

The PSP version (included as a hidden bonus in Castlevania X Chronicles) is not a port, it's an emulator, just as it is on Wii.

Teknoman

I know Spriggan, Splatter, and Gate are all top notch, but how is Devil's Crush (that is Devil's right)?

Personally even though i've never played Magical Chase, I think Cotton looks better...but its also way too expensive for me to ever buy...probably.

I know Spriggan, Splatter, and Gate are all top notch, but how is Devil's Crush (that is Devil's right)?

Personally even though i've never played Magical Chase, I think Cotton looks better...but its also way too expensive for me to ever buy...probably.

That's Alien Crush. It's quite good, but not as good a Devil's Crush. In AC the screen does not scroll but instead swaps between fixed screens depending on ball position.

The type of card you need depends on the game you're playing. The Arcade card is required for a few games, mostly arcade ports as the name implies.

Dwayne

The type of card you need depends on the game you're playing. The Arcade card is required for a few games, mostly arcade ports as the name implies.

So the Arcade card doesn't have the functionality of System card 3.0 included, I have to swap between the two?

So the Arcade card doesn't have the functionality of System card 3.0 included, I have to swap between the two?

No, no, the Arcade Card will play all CD, Super CD, and Arcade CD titles, except for Altered Beast CD which requires the 1.0 System Card (a Japan-only first version of the 2.0 regular system card we got).

However, if you're getting a regular CD-ROM2 system, you'll need the Arcade Card Pro, not the somewhat cheaper Arcade Card Duo; the Duo card is for Duo or Super CD systems only, since it doesn't have the 256KB of Super CD RAM in it, only the 2MB Arcade CD RAM. Duo/Super CD systems have that 256KB of extra RAM (and Super CD compatibility) built-in, so they released two versions of the Arcade Card. I really need an Arcade Card Pro, but they're pricey... so I have a Super System Card now, even though it'll be useless once I finally get that Arcade Card Pro.

Arcade Card Pro is backwards compatible with System Card 3.0. Arcade Card Duo is not as far as I know, as they were intended for the Duo systems with the built-in RAM.

jdkluv

The "superior, original version" is running the real game on real hardware. Which as we've already established is too expensive, if it weren't I would have already bought it.

The PSP version (included as a hidden bonus in Castlevania X Chronicles) is not a port, it's an emulator, just as it is on Wii.

With the expection that the VC version emulates the original perfectly.

IrishNinja

^goddamn puncher of men, that's an incredible haul you got there, you must be ballinnnn'

which card would i need for my Duo-R? i hear they're going up in price these days, like fucking everything else really

Yes Boss!

With the expection that the VC version emulates the original perfectly.

Big exception too. I can't believe somebody would have issues with the VC port...near perfect (even better since no loading). Only minor thing is that the music is (perhaps) a little more compressed.

I'll take the VC version over the retail PCE disc any day.

Ban Puncher

Thanks for the kind replies duders.

How much did magical chase set you back?

A little under ¥20,000 which is far cheaper than the price-gougers on eBay ask.

^goddamn puncher of men, that's an incredible haul you got there, you must be ballinnnn'

which card would i need for my Duo-R? i hear they're going up in price these days, like fucking everything else really

You gotta ball hard if you want to play that retro collection game, son. And you need a Duo Card if you ever want to play Arcade CD games.

PC_Engine_ArcadeCard_DUO.jpg

You ain't missing out on much without one but if you want all the power your Duo-R can muster than it's a nice piece for the collection.

woodypop

However, if you're getting a regular CD-ROM2 system, you'll need the Arcade Card Pro, not the somewhat cheaper Arcade Card Duo; the Duo card is for Duo or Super CD systems only, since it doesn't have the 256KB of Super CD RAM in it, only the 2MB Arcade CD RAM. Duo/Super CD systems have that 256KB of extra RAM (and Super CD compatibility) built-in, so they released two versions of the Arcade Card. I really need an Arcade Card Pro, but they're pricey... so I have a Super System Card now, even though it'll be useless once I finally get that Arcade Card Pro.
Reading that made my head hurt. lol

I recently acquired a PC Engine Core base unit:

Any suggestions on how I can best/most cheaply get a power cord and A/V cable for it? Are either of them the same as for other consoles (Duo, TG16, Genesis, NeoGeoCD, etc.) that I could use instead?

Dicer

Banned
Reading that made my head hurt. lol

I recently acquired a PC Engine Core base unit:

Any suggestions on how I can best/most cheaply get a power cord and A/V cable for it? Are either of them the same as for other consoles (Duo, TG16, Genesis, NeoGeoCD, etc.) that I could use instead?

Duo pad will be the same, as for Ac probably use a generic from Radio shack or get one from the many retro retailers out there. Not 100% on the av cable.

Ban Puncher

That's been a target of mine since it was released. It's super tough to find, and I even scoured the used game shops in Akihabara to no avail.

The trick is to search outside of Akiba as that's where most of the tourists go and prices tend to reflect this. I've found a few grails at bargain prices out in the sticks.

IrishNinja

A little under ¥20,000 which is far cheaper than the price-gougers on eBay ask.

geez, between that & $10 spriggan id say you made a killing man

You gotta ball hard if you want to play that retro collection game, son. And you need a Duo Card if you ever want to play Arcade CD games.

You ain't missing out on much without one but if you want all the power your Duo-R can muster than it's a nice piece for the collection.

*sigh* yeah, the games mentioned plus Strider - i know it's not a great version but still. any idea how much this card goes for?

Ban Puncher

*sigh* yeah, the games mentioned plus Strider - i know it's not a great version but still. any idea how much this card goes for?

Quick and dirty search on eBay and this was the most reasonable price from a well-known seller;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310896186696

Asking $45 but taking offers, could probably put in bid of $30 and see where you go from there. Maybe pick up a couple of cheaper games to fatten up your collection and make the shipping a tad more tolerable.

People asking for $100+ on eBay lol get fucked.

antibolo

Banned
Something I've been wondering for a while now: how does saving work on CD games? I mean, I assume that there's some amount of internal flash memory somewhere, but all tech specs for the CD addons or the Duos never mention anything about it.

There's also no management utility. What happens when you run out of save memory? Surely after playing a few games that must get filled up?

Something I've been wondering for a while now: how does saving work on CD games? I mean, I assume that there's some amount of internal flash memory somewhere, but all tech specs for the CD addons or the Duos never mention anything about it.

There's also no management utility. What happens when you run out of save memory? Surely after playing a few games that must get filled up?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54652089&postcount=18

tebunker

Banned
Wait what, you lose your saves if your console hasn't been turned on for a while?? That's terrible.

I don't remember that ever happening though, and I know there were streches where I didn't turn my Duo on for a couple of weeks, maybe my memory is fuzzy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looks like i'll go after Devil's then. That just sounds like it would be really janky.

Devil's Crush also has like 3 screens for the main table while Alien Crush only has 2 screens. Devil's Crush is definitely the better game.

baphomet

arcade-gears, or where? im really in no hurry, only tried earlier today cause i heard it was going up

EBay seller. It was CIB as well. Might as well go ahead and grab one while cost is still somewhat low. Seems to be a lot of interest in turbo games lately and it'll only keep going up.

Celine

I paid $35 shipped for my arcade card duo a month or so back. I only tried strider and it was absolutely awful.
Paid $31 + shipping for mine (CIB) a few months back from hit-japan.
Price on ebay are definitely on the high side (should be around $20 in Japan).

itto2.png

Kabuki Ittoryoudan is a good if unbalanced SF2 clone (while the Tengai Makyou fighting game for Neo Geo was a SamSho clone).
Can be found, even NIB, for cheap.

Cd_2f44.gif

Sapphire is a good vertical shmups although not the best on PCE.
It's extremely expensive though and I'm not sure it's worth all that cash.

Dicer

Banned
it's a neat showcase but it's definitely not worth the money. i sold mine ages ago after i beat it.

Yeah, it's really sorta sad that this is the farewell to the PCE shmups....could have went out with a bigger and more impressive bang for sure.

antibolo

Banned
Are there any (affordable) Arcade CD-ROM games really worth having?

From my understanding a lot of them are ports of Neo Geo games, which seem pointless now because you can just play the real Neo Geo version instead.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

From my understanding a lot of them are ports of Neo Geo games, which seem pointless now because you can just play the real Neo Geo version instead.

Probably not. I like the port of Art of Fighting just to see the technical tricks they use to kinda-sorta replicate scaling (it changes resolutions on the fly), but other than those, Sapphire, Strider, and that Kabuki game, pretty much everything else are mahjong games or other such garbage, unless I'm forgetting something.

The SNK ports are really good though! Obsolete nowadays, I guess, but substantially better than the GEN/SNES ports.

I really like Sapphire though. It's one of those games where its absurdly high price tag causes people to be harsher on it than they would normally. There are definitely better shooters on the system, but it's still an excellent game.

antibolo

Banned
Doujijdance just put up an rgb modded Duo. Go!!!!!!!!!

Warning to potential buyers: it appears that this unit is not modded for supporting US HuCards.

Unless you are 100% sure you will never get TG16 HuCard games I would strongly recommend waiting for another one.

Warning to potential buyers: it appears that this unit is not modded for supporting US HuCards.

Unless you are 100% sure you will never get TG16 HuCard games I would strongly recommend waiting for another one.

Doujindance told me about a month ago he can't region mod regular duo units. That's why I waited for a duo-R.

d+pad

For me, the only game worth owning the Arcade Card for is Madou Monogatari I, and that, too, is a rather pricey (and rare) game. Still, I'm going to own a copy of that sucker eventually, as I love the Modou Monogatari series :)

Top Bottom