• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mercutio

I think that's just one of those gaming urban legends. It could be true, but I don't think anyone from capcom has ever specifically said they used x68000s.

I'd really like to find one myself though. They look like a lot of fun.

My understanding is that the power supplies fail VERY frequently. The only game I really require from it is the version of Castlevania, and that's pretty good on the PS1 disc. You can even choose the sound hardware by holding down some buttons when you select it on the menu. Which is REALLY cool.

tE6RRiK.jpg

Monday's batch, which was $26 including shipping.

I'm still a little sour about missing out on the $3 Dragon Knight III from the same seller, but still a great grab for the price.

I have two more shipments of two coming from Japan, hopefully they show up next week.

Dwayne

Monday's batch, which was $26 including shipping.

I'm still a little sour about missing out on the $3 Dragon Knight III from the same seller, but still a great grab for the price.

I have two more shipments of two coming from Japan, hopefully they show up next week.

Nice grab, where are you buying from :)

I know this is a PC Engine/TG thread but i'm surprised Keith Courage in Alpha Zones didnt make it to the Wii virtual console.

After playing my friends TG and all his games I want to play this game so bad now
My guess would be that this probably is because the Japanese version was a licensed game. Probably a rights issue; a few licensed-in-Japan games made it to VC (Blazing Lazers!), but not most.

Bog

Junior Ace
A Hori Fighting Commander 6-button (SNES-style) and a 6' extension make this console infinitely more playable for me. Love it.

Well, I have begun my search for a PC Engine Duo. I have a TG-16 already, but I have been wanting a Duo for a while. My meager library needs expansion.

Bar81

It's no XE-1 doe

True dat. Which is why I picked one of them up too :)

Whoa.

Where can I get one of those XE-1 sticks?

It's not a common joystick unfortunately. I got my new one last year off of ebay (and got wallet raped in the process - although that tends to happen when you buy anything good new 20 years later) but they come up from time to time used on Yahoo JP. You can use http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/ to shop there but the fees do add up (about 15% including paypal fees and not including shipping costs to them from the seller and then to you).

Bar81

Just get in touch with doujindance on eBay, and soon you too will hope your enough gaming life

Agreed. He does great work and will wire the RGB output on the DUO-R for Euro or JP spec upon request. Too bad he only typically does DUO-R units, I wanted him to mod my Super CD-ROM2 units output for RGB (or alternatively any Super CD-ROM2 units) but he said he wasn't interested.

Bar81

Man PC engine stuff always looks so alien, in a good way.

It's the one system over and above the rest that's just so... Japanese. While I love my MD and it would be my desert island system, the PCE has a special place in my heart so much so that I probably know more about it and its games than even my beloved MD.

Celine

First PCE game in months but what a fantastic game it is!
I'm stunned by the details Falcom could cram in it.
Very fun and addicting, oh and the music, the music is glorious too (both psg and Cd tracks).
In one word terrific.

h1XdOPXl.jpg

A little while ago I was able to get a doujindance duo-r as well as Rondo of Blood. As much as I enjoy the game I am wanting some more game suggestions. Card or cd, japan or us. I just want to find some stuff a little cheaper than what I just got. Hidden Japanese gems maybe?

jdkluv

First PCE game in months but what a fantastic game it is!
I'm stunned by the details Falcom could cram in it.
Very fun and addicting, oh and the music, the music is glorious too (both psg and Cd tracks).
In one word terrific.

h1XdOPXl.jpg

The Legend of Xanadu II is for me the real Ys V. Simply a complete masterpiece.

Awesome purchase man. Enjoy it!

Celine

The Legend of Xanadu II is for me the real Ys V. Simply a complete masterpiece.

Awesome purchase man. Enjoy it!
Indeed seems really a great game ()'m only at the second chapter at the moment).
I'm surprised and impressed by how good the whole game feels.

Some of the best production values on PCE for sure.

On YS V... one of these days I need to play that too.

Celine

A little while ago I was able to get a doujindance duo-r as well as Rondo of Blood. As much as I enjoy the game I am wanting some more game suggestions. Card or cd, japan or us. I just want to find some stuff a little cheaper than what I just got. Hidden Japanese gems maybe?
What genres do you like?

Here a few "cheap" suggestion:

RPG:
(if you don't mind japanese)
YS 1&2,YS 4, Tengay Makyou 2, Legend of Xanadu 2, Emerald Dragon, Anearth Stories, Gulliver Boy.

Action:
Shubibinman 3 (a bit on the easy side but good, also cheap)
Momotaro Katsugeki (a not so well known platform game by Hudson, also cheap)
New Adventure Island (cheap?)
The Dynastic Hero (the US version is expensive but JPN should be cheaper)
Pomping World
Dungeon Explorer
Legendary Axe (so good)

Shumps:
Super Raiden (good conversion of Raiden but with remixed music)
Super Star Soldier (not as good as Soldier Blade but cheaper)
Psychic Storm (nice looking but a bit shallow)

Fighting:
Asuka 120% burning
KABUKI ITOURYOUDAN (but you need the Arcade Card)

TheWraith

Indeed seems really a great game ()'m only at the second chapter at the moment).
I'm surprised and impressed by how good the whole game feels.

Some of the best production values on PCE for sure.

I'm currently in the middle of Xanadu 1 and really enjoying it. How would you compare them?

I've heard some criticisms in Japan who prefer the first game because it gives a better balance between the overhead questing and the sidescrolling action. Apparently the sidescroll stages are only for Boss battles in 2.

Celine

I'm currently in the middle of Xanadu 1 and really enjoying it. How would you compare them?

I've heard some criticisms in Japan who prefer the first game because it gives a better balance between the overhead questing and the sidescrolling action. Apparently the sidescroll stages are only for Boss battles in 2.
I've never played LoX1 but from what I've read the second one is more approachable for those who don't understand japanese.
Indeed the sidescrolling action is limited to boss battles in LoX2 and there are less fetch quests.
LoX2 is overall a quicker game who last less than LoX1.

I can offer suggestions, but I need to know how much you're willing to deal with a language barrier first.

Enough to memorize menus if I have to.

What genres do you like?

Here a few "cheap" suggestion:

RPG:
(if you don't mind japanese)
YS 1&2,YS 4, Tengay Makyou 2, Legend of Xanadu 2, Emerald Dragon, Anearth Stories, Gulliver Boy.

Action:
Shubibinman 3 (a bit on the easy side but good, also cheap)
Momotaro Katsugeki (a not so well known platform game by Hudson, also cheap)
New Adventure Island (cheap?)
The Dynastic Hero (the US version is expensive but JPN should be cheaper)
Pomping World
Dungeon Explorer
Legendary Axe (so good)

Shumps:
Super Raiden (good conversion of Raiden but with remixed music)
Super Star Soldier (not as good as Soldier Blade but cheaper)
Psychic Storm (nice looking but a bit shallow)

Fighting:
Asuka 120% burning
KABUKI ITOURYOUDAN (but you need the Arcade Card)

Thanks for the suggestions! I pretty much enjoy any type of game. Kinda just exploring the PCE library.

Teknoman

Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder are always great, Star Parodia, Cotton, Jackie Chan, Splatterhouse, Seirei Senshi Spriggan and Bloody Wolf.

Jamix012

I know this sounds like a weird question, but is there an adapter that lets you play turbo games on a PC engine? I know there is one the other way around (going for $70 on Ebay) but I ask because I just want to dive into a Supergrafx and don't want to mod it/get a turbo on top of it.

antibolo

Banned
I know this sounds like a weird question, but is there an adapter that lets you play turbo games on a PC engine? I know there is one the other way around (going for $70 on Ebay) but I ask because I just want to dive into a Supergrafx and don't want to mod it/get a turbo on top of it.

US games have a software lockout check that requires a solder mod on Japanese consoles. But apparently it's a pretty easy one.

Afterwards, the same adapter for doing the opposite should work.

Teknoman

US games have a software lockout check that requires a solder mod on Japanese consoles. But apparently it's a pretty easy one.

Afterwards, the same adapter for doing the opposite should work.

Yeah but after the solder doesnt that make it unnecessary, unless US cards have slightly different shapes?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
that korean turbo is funky lookin

tumblr_n5q63t1wMJ1rwszdgo1_1280.jpg

http://nfggames.com/games/vistar/

^ Haha I was going to make a joke about it being made by Daewoo or something. Sure enough, that's exactly what it is!

For those who are wondering why, it's because there is a history of Japanese consoles being brought over to Korea by famous Korean companies in the 90s. Samsung made Sega consoles. Hyundai made Nintendo.

I believe Daewoo also put out a consolized MSX there at some point.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah but after the solder doesnt that make it unnecessary, unless US cards have slightly different shapes?

No, you still need to reverse the data lines. That's what the adapter does (or a mod to select whether your lines are reversed or not, like the switch on doujindance's modded units). For playing Japanese games on a US console, you only need to reverse the lines, but for doing the opposite you also need to defeat a software lockout in addition to that.

Bar81

No, you still need to reverse the data lines. That's what the adapter does (or a mod to select whether your lines are reversed or not, like the switch on doujindance's modded units). For playing Japanese games on a US console, you only need to reverse the lines, but for doing the opposite you also need to defeat a software lockout in addition to that.

Which is why the Kisado adapter (or similar) is necessary to play PCE hucards on the Turbo-16 but not vice versa (I think you have the example backwards).

antibolo

Banned
You guys should probably read this:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/multi-region-pc-engine-turbo-grafx-16/
This is more or less what doujindance does (his toggleswitch looks different but it's essentially the same mod).

tl;dr to make a Japanese unit region free you need two things: a way to reverse the data lines when needed for US games, and a single solder to disable the region checking. It's not one or the other, you need to have both. Modded units sold by doujindance come with both.

US units only need to reverse the data lines, as Japanese games don't have the region checking.

Top Bottom